The Butterfly Effect

Episode Reviews (63)

Great

"The one that broke the camel's back". How do you mark as "unoriginal" a show that is about super beings? Congrats, Heroes has done it!

By logossun, Dec 22, 2010

I love super-heroes. I love stories about them, the ideas, the hardship, the conflict...

For about a season and a half (sans the obligatory "everyone survives" ending of S1, Heroes has been that lone exciting star of super-hero wonder.

Some things didn't work from the start: Mohinder was painfully and frustratingly clean and boring, the series struggled with its direction but man oh man was it a find. Nathan was Peter Parker all over again; the cheerleader growing up in this cruel apocalypse, and Hiro... well, there was a winner if I ever saw one. Fast forward to season three. Mohinder is no longer boring, being a super villain... No wait, he is. So the fix didn't work either. The space-time continuum cunundrums are starting to pile up, and so are the cast. Nathan is so far from PP it hurts. I do like the evil version. Storylines are everywhere and are completely neutralising the characters. And the worst of all? OK, here goes: Pathos. Drama. Frown. Sob. Pathos. Frown. Squint. Pathos. Heroes has become a dark hole that I have no interest of entering any more. It has fallen prey to its own popularity; as I understand it, the idea was to realistically kill many of the characters still cluttering the airwaves today - because the public found them too popular. Well, welcome to paying of the price for it. We could have had two brutal, brilliant series with a bright future in the unknown. What we do have is a porridge sucking all excitement like quicksand. I really feel let down. RIP season three.moreless

So we are back with another episode, and darker future then we had before.

By Dark_Davis, Dec 22, 2010

So we are back with another episode, and darker future then we had before. Warning spoilers ahead. Last episode Mohinder injected himself with the serum he got from Maya, which gave him abilities. But what we find out about them this episode is that they are very different from what Maya has. It seems as if Mohinder has gone a bit mad with power from the get go, I hope that he doesn't, because he might have found the only way to reverse the powers. What I really want to know is who the heck Tracy is and why does she look exactly like Niki? Tracy seem's to have the power to freeze people, Niki never had that power. Mohinder seems to have some problems ahead of him as he starts to have some weird side effects. I was a bit happy to see that, because I think it will teach him that what he discovered is dangerous and he should work on finding a cure instead. I just hope whatever it is that is happening to him, he is able to survive. What was really strange to see was the present time Peter in the body of a very dangerous criminal, while the future Peter runs around messing things up worse than they were before. This episode really explains the name of this volume, as a whole ton of villains worse than Sylar are released on the world who were once contained. And at the end of the episode, we are given yet another huge shock, as Angela tell Sylar that she is his mother. I really enjoyed this episode, but it's almost as if there is not enough time in one episode to contain all the different side stories taking place. There are just so many unanswered questions, I think the best thing for this show would be to answer some of the questions and kill off some characters, as it is getting pretty hard to keep track of them all. Not only kill off some characters, but not bring them back as well.moreless

Future Peter realizes he did more damage that he thought to the present. Claire deals with the aftermath of Sylar's attack. Tracy is visited by a reporter who claims he knows something about her past. Mohinder gets closer to Maya but has more concerns.

By Panicos888, Aug 17, 2009

The title of the second chapter is full of meaning. The term ''butterfly effect'' has to do with a consequence that happens three years later for something you have done now. More specifically a butterfly's flappig of its wings could result in a whirlwind in the future.

Sylar leaves from the Bennets and heads to the Company to collect more powers. Elle figures a plan to take down Sylar but she arrives too late as her father ends up dead by Sylar. Elle frees Noah to help her with Sylar. Sylar attacks her and Noah. In an attempt to kill Elle she has an electrical outburst and frees all 12 prisonerz in Level 5 while she knocks down Sylar. Noah puts Sylar in the cell while Elle is fired from the Company by the new head; Angela Petrelli. Angela takes some dangerous measures for the greater good; she reveals a deadly secret to Sylar.

Claire deals with the fact that she can't feel pain anymore and attempts to stand before a running train to see if she can be killed. At that moment, Future Peter flies and saves Claire. Claire asks Peter to teach her how to use her ability offensively but he refuses and leaves. Returning home, she finds her father who has returned only for a while. He tells her he has to go away again because a group of dangerous superpower villains has escaped from Level 5 of the Company and he is the only one who can bring them back (we see some of the villains in this episode and Noah explains their abilities). In return, Noah introduces the person who will protect them if there is another unexpected visit; her biological mother Meredith Gordon (that we met in Chapter 14: Unexpected of volume 1).

Future Peter is visited by Angela who explains to him that his visit to the present has dire consequences. Nathan's shot had as a consequence Sylar's attack to Claire (and thus the thing our Heroes tried to avoid the most; Sylar to gain Claire's regenerative power). When Peter visits Claire he witnesses her pain by himself. Trying to fix what he has done, he goes to Level 5 in the Company to save Peter but he is told that they have escaped.

Hiro is still on his mission to retrieve the part pf the formula stolen by Daphne --the speedster-- and together with Ando they go to Paris. There, Hiro reveals to Ando the dark future he visited in the last chapter and how Ando killed Hiro. Meanwhile, Hiro tries to negotiate with Daphne but with not much luck. Daphne takes off to Berlin, Germany to retrieve the second part of the formula and Hiro has a tracker on her.

Matt is in the desert and is rescued by a man. He tells him he is in Africa and that Matt has a spirit walk to go through before he returns to USA.

Tracy convinces the Governor to count Nathan as the new Senator. She visits Nathan and after an intervention by Linderman and future Peter (who revealed his true identity) Nathan accepts Tracy's offer. Meanwhile, a reporter faces Tracy and reveals he has secrets about Tracy. Appearantly he has found a website with someone looking like her (Niki's stripping website seen in chapter 1: In his own image of volume 1) and a video of her and Nathan having sex (seen in chapter 4: collision of volume 1). In a moment of panic, Tracy exhibits her power of freezing and freezes the report who is shattered. Mohinder has tested his new formula and recognizes many differences. He has strength, stamina, speed and he is able to walk on walls. Maya is fascinated by this discovery but still has her doubts. Mohinder and Maya come closer together. In the end however Mohinder realizes that this power may come with some unexpected consequences; a strange affliction to his skin.

Overall an excellent episode which is put smoothly together with the previous chapter. Key facts: Tracy's power which proves she is not in fact Niki Sanders. Linderman turns out to be only visible to Nathan for some reason. Sylar has acquired one more power and Angela reveals his "true identity" which won't be confirmed until the very end of this volume. Enjoy!moreless

A good episode but not a very enjoyable one.

By whiteraven2005, Mar 28, 2009

A considerably weaker episode than 'Second Coming' but full of information and even a shocking revelation.

Claire's encounter with Sylar has a strange side-effect: she no longer feels pain. This didn't happen originally so it's not what made her scary-Claire from the future, something else obviously did that.

Angela has a disturbing vision: Hiro stabbed with his own sword, Matt, Peter, Claire being attacked and decapitated. Then a group, one can only assume an alliance of bad guys, Niki (or whoever she is now), Kensei, Parkman and a mysterious black man. Then Sylar comes up behind Angela.

Angela pays a visit to Future Peter who is doing the whole string-timeline thing that Hiro did. He's definitely not our Peter, both sarcastic and formal - 'mother'. Angela lectures Peter on his actions causing a 'butterfly effect' – he told Claire not to go to Odessa which led to her encounter with Sylar. Which confirms that Future Peter switched with Peter before he even got in the ambulance with Nathan, probably when he 'found' the hat and jacket in the bathroom.

Mohinder's powers don't end with super strength, he can defy gravity too! Not to mention sex mad! The Mohinder we know and love is gone without a trace. He learns the side-effect of his untested serum – horrific lesions.

Bob and Elle review a tape of their agents going after Sylar, didn't end well. To say that Bob is an awful father is such an understatement! He uses emotional abuse as his weapon to control Elle and she allows it, he dominates her completely.

I always loved the friendship between Hiro and Ando, and it's terrible to see Hiro being paranoid around Ando. Daphne seems to be quite the thief – what looks suspiciously like the Mona Lisa, golden Egyptian statues etc. Hiro finally tells Ando about his future self.

Finally get a name for both Niki and her mystery politician: her name is 'Tracy Strauss' and he's Governor Malden. Is this really Niki? She's not acting like some temporary personality, she's acting like a real person and seems to have established herself with Malden. Malden tells her to contact Nathan, so we'll soon find out who she is. Then a reporter confronts Tracy with a photo of Niki. Nathan's reaction on seeing Tracy is hilarious! "Speaking of sin…" ; "The word 'biblically' comes to mind." According to Linderman, she really isn't Niki.

Claire goes all 'why am I here?' and tries to get hit by a train. She obviously does mean a lot to Peter because he (literally) swoops in to save her. Guess someone's feeling guilty. Claire's realized the obvious – she needs to learn to defend herself and who better than her uncle to teach her, he's stopped Sylar before. Peter refuses, having already changed the past.

Sylar arrives at the Company's facility and wastes no time – he takes Bob's power – turn objects into gold! Elle goes to the most obvious ally in the building – Bennet. Problem is: Sylar is now unstoppable. But seems Elle's power really is as unstable as it looks – Sylar's attempt to cut her head open releases an explosion! Peter (trapped inside prisoner 'Jesse's body) checks on Elle then escapes with the others. Elle's blast actually knocked Sylar out so he's a prisoner again. With Bob dead, Angela's in charge. A dozen prisoners escaped including Bennet. Elle's fired!

I would have thought that if anyone could tell this wasn't our Peter, it would be Nathan – he's Peter's best friend, not just his brother! Peter comes clean about shooting Nathan. After talking to Peter, Nathan takes the position of Junior Senator for New York. Linderman is invisible?! Is he dead? Or immortal like Claire and Kensei?

And moments later, the dogged reporter shows Tracy the tape of Niki/Jessica having sex with Nathan… which will explain a lot of Nathan's reaction to her. Any doubt that this isn't Niki is gone – she can control ice! And what's even more interesting – she obviously doesn't know about her powers! She's must be related to Niki somehow, this isn't just a resemblance, she's Special too. Sister, cousin?? Where's Niki?!

Poor Matt is in Africa! And he meets a guy who also paints the future and knows his name.

Bennet goes home to Claire but has a new mission – the prisoners who escaped. And he's assigning a surprise bodyguard – Claire's mother! Never thought we'd see her again, wonder how much they had to pay her to do it?

Future Peter comes to restore Peter only to find Sylar captured and 'Jesse' missing. Our Peter is running with an incredibly dangerous crowd who kill people for fun. Does he still have his powers or is he limited to the powers that Jesse has? Peter did leave a message for Nathan, hopefully Nathan gets it and does something!

Most shocking reveal? Angela is Sylar's mother!!! Which means he is either brother or half-brother to both Peter and Nathan!! Certainly explains why his mother didn't have powers when everyone else's parents did. It's obvious where this is going: "Brother vs Brother… it's almost biblical."

The biggest problem with this episode is that it doesn't really drive the 'future' storyline like the previous two seasons did. This episode feels isolated, more filling in gaps and characters than being important to the overall story. Plus, don't like where the stories are headed right now, there's not a single one that feels right. Hopefully this is early season teething problems and it will sort itself out.moreless

One of the best Heroes episodes ever, in my book.

By Yossarianizen, Mar 10, 2009

One of the best Heroes episodes ever, in my book.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time and even afterwards when I kept saying to myself how good this premiere was. We got Future Peter, Future Ando, Future Hiro and Future Claire. We got new abilities and abilities we've seen before, only in a different way. We saw characters return, including Linderman, whose first line in the episode made me grin.

It had a lot of nods to the first season and I loved them. Heroes made a great return with this episode, tying up several storylines such as what Sylar does with the brains and some of the small things seen at the end of season two.moreless

Sylar launches an attack on the company, releasing many villains, Claire discovers something new about her powers, Tracy unearths a hidden secret, Hiro and Ando follow the speedster to Paris, while Mohinder reveals his new abilities to Maya.

By Nieuwen, Jan 14, 2009

In order of the most interesting storylines I would place Tracy's first, the company's second, Hiro's third, Claire's fourth and Mohinder's last.

Tracy's was the most interesting because, firstly, I found myself wondering who the hell this girl actually was, ('Is it Nikki? Nikki's split personality Jessica going by a new name? Or perhaps the witchy Gina?) which is always fun. Secondly Tracy displays an incredible power, freezing, similar to one of Sylar's many abilities which he lost in season 2, due to the effects of the Shanti virus.

The scene where she freezes the skanky reporter was amazing (the whole episode was worth watching just for that). With this character and her power, we will hopefully be able to witness many more of Tracy's ice attacks, which, so far, has been one of the greatest effects ever achieved on Heroes.

Next up there is Sylar's attack on the company.

The best thing about this storyline was that the great Kristen Bell made a brief appearance as Elle, and also that amazing ability of hers… Elle's character is the most human, I find, with a very interesting back-story that explains why she is the way she is. Let's hope that she returns later on in the series, she's such a great character.

After killing Elle's father, Sylar attacks Noah and then tries to steal Elle's ability; the pain sends Elle's ability spiralling out of control, unleashing a powerful electrical shockwave knocking out Sylar and disabling the power grid on Level 5, letting the villains loose…

The whole of this scene was very short, quick and snappy.This is what made it work so well, less is more. The whole sequence lasted for no less than a couple of minutes, in which I was transfixed to the screen.

After Elle releases a burst of electricity, the camera pans to a dramatic close up of her face, full of panic and confusion, Elle looks helplessly on as the Villains flee, the alarm booming in her ears…This scene was superbly acted and atmospheric, setting the events for the main story ark of Volume 3 in motion.

A couple of moments later we are in Paris with Ando and Hiro. As usual their storyline was fun and full of great humour, providing us with a more relaxing, lighthearted story amidst all the chaos of this episode.

Meanwhile, Claire has dicovered that she can't feel pain after her attack, allowing us to have a snippet of that brilliant Shankar, in a scene where Claire emotionally declares to Sandra that 'pain was the only thing that made her feel human'. This extent of her ability is an interesting development, opening many doors for her character, who can now do almost anything…and let's not forget the most welcomed return of Meredith. It was a great disappointment that we only got to see Claire's Biological Mother for only two episodes in Season 1, she was such a intriguing character. Bringing her back was a great decision.

Lastly we come to the least entertaining story, Mohinder's, in which he begins to mutate. Hmmm…remind you of anything, a crazy scientist tries out his latest invention and his skin starts to drop off…this a complete rip off of 'The Fly' and is painfully ridiculous.

Well, all things considered, 'The Butterfly Effect' has been a very good episode, apart from Mohinder's obscene storyline. This, however, is the one and only bad side of 'The Butterfly Effect'.moreless

A big step up from the last episode.

By Canogaparkcindy, Jan 05, 2009

Well we learn a lot of things in this episode, it turns out Tracy isn't really Nikki, she really is Tracy. How would that work, I like her power too, amazing! Elle reprises her role which I didn't expect her doing, I like to see that peter still cares for Elle, when he goes over to her after she had a nervous breakdown with her powers. Nathan's plot was just annoying. Claire's plot was great & leaves a cliffhanger, her mother returns, Claire feels no pain! HRG returns. Matt is stuck in Africa, Ando & Hiro search for Daphne, I love her character by the way. Amazing episode! The Future Peter rocks!moreless

Step on one butterfly today, kill hundreds of people in the future :)

By charmed1102, Nov 21, 2008

Angela Petrelli enters the Company's basement floor 5, where she sees Hiro Nakamura with his sword through his heart, Matt Parkman with his throat slit, Knox pulling Claire Bennet's head off, and Noah Bennet and Peter Petrelli also killed. She then sees Adam Monroe, a woman resembling Niki Sanders and Tracy Strauss, and Maury Parkman, when Sylar puts his hand on Angela's shoulder from behind. Angela wakes up to realize this was a dream.

Claire Bennet realizes that she no longer feels pain when injured, which she felt was all that remained of her humanity. Claire films herself trying to be hit by a train, but Future Peter, masquerading as Present Peter, intervenes before the impact; he then says that she needs to be careful, but that he also has to be careful with what he says to her, and then teleports away.

Meanwhile, two Company agents, Bianca Karina and Gael Cruz, attempt to capture Sylar. One fires a taser at him. He recovers and kills them both with a small hand gesture.

Tracy enters Nathan's hospital room to offer him a seat on the Senate. Nathan believes that Tracy is Niki Sanders, but she insists that she is not. Tracy leaves, somewhat disturbed, and Linderman appears, confirming that Tracy is not Niki, and advising Nathan to accept Tracy's offer.

At the Company, Elle Bishop finds her father, Bob's body with his brain removed. She then lets Noah out of his cell on Level 5, giving him a gun and telling him that Sylar is in the building. As Noah steps out of the room, Elle is telekinetically thrown down the hall by Sylar, so Noah shoots him several times. However, Sylar regenerates and explains that he's already taken Claire's power. After Sylar flings Noah away, he attempts to take Elle's power by cutting her head open. Elle screams and releases a large electrical discharge that knocks Sylar out and allows the Level 5 prisoners to escape their electronically locked cells.

Future Peter explains to Nathan that he is actually from the future and came to the present to stop him from revealing their powers and prevent the future he came from. Nathan then decides to ask Future Peter if he should accept Tracy's offer, but Future Peter tells him only to make the decision himself. Nathan proceeds to call Tracy and accept her offer as Future Peter leaves.

Tracy, walking to her car in the parking garage, is confronted by a reporter, (cameo by "Hero" William Katt), who tries to blackmail her to get her to admit she is Niki, a stripper from Las Vegas. An angry Tracy grabs him, and her emotions trigger her ability of cryokinesis. She accidentally freezes him solid, and he shatters on the ground, dead. Tracy, horrified, flees the scene as the reporter melts down a storm drain.

Later, Nathan is playing a game of chess with Linderman when a nurse comes in to tell him it is time for lights out, and she comments that he can end a game of chess he's playing by himself. Linderman then reveals that only Nathan can see him.

Hiro and Ando travel to Daphne's apartment in Paris, looking for the formula that she stole. Hiro notices an award of Daphne's for a track meet from when she was young. When Daphne arrives, Hiro offers her the award, which he has now stolen from her, in exchange for the formula. Daphne pretends to agree to the trade, but then attempts to take both items. Hiro stops time, but she holds a knife to Ando's throat, since Ando cannot move, and starts to make a cut. Hiro allows her to get away with both items, but when time resumes, he explains to Ando about the tracking device he had slipped into the award. Ando, however, is notices his neck is bleeding, and is astonished that Hiro let him get hurt.

Maya returns to Mohinder's lab, and witnesses him hanging from the ceiling by his legs. She watches as he jumps down, unharmed, and climbs back up the wall, in an insect type of fashion, and after he explains his new powers, Maya expresses her excitement with the results of his new transformation. They then kiss passionately after Mohinder makes an uncharacteristically rash pass at her.

With Bob's death, Angela becomes the new head of the Company, and her first act is to implement some changes, starting with firing Elle. Noah Bennet, now released, returns to his home and finds Claire, alive. Though relieved to see her, he tells her that he can't stay at home because of the escaped villains and prepares to deal with them, shooting down Claire's offer to partner up. When Claire mentions the possibility of being attacked at home, Noah tells her that he had considered that; to make sure Claire stays safe at home, Noah and Sandra reveal their enlistment of the aid of none other than Meredith Gordon, Claire's biological mother, to protect the family in Noah's absence.

Future Peter teleports to Level 5, where Angela angrily informs him that the villains have escaped. Future Peter wonders how this happened different from his time, and also exclaims that he had trapped the present Peter in the body of one of the escaped villains specifically because this didn't occur in his timeline. Angela berates him about the butterfly Effect and blames him for the deviations he has caused from the future she has seen.

Peter Petrelli, trapped in the body of Jesse Murphy, is forced to accompany the other villains in order not to compromise his true identity. As Flint burns a man alive, and Knox punches a man to death, Peter is forced to watch helplessly.

Mohinder wakes up, next to Maya, and appears to be feeling unwell. He goes to the bathroom and washes his face, and we see a strange affliction to his skin, which appears to be forming amber-colored scales. He questions, "What's happening to me?", as this seems to be an effect of the injection he gave himself to give himself powers.

Angela Petrelli ends the episode by going into the cell Sylar occupies and offers him the comforts that a mother should provide for a child. Sylar denies that Angela is his mother, but Angela persists that she is.moreless

Villians on Level Five are released. Starring: Jack Coleman, Greg Grunberg, Ali Larter, James Kyson Lee, Masi Oka, Hayden Panettiere, Adrian Pasdar, Zachary Quinto, Sendhil Ramamurthy, Christine Rose, and Milo Ventimiglia. Special Guest Star Kristen Bell

By budde22, Oct 21, 2008

One of the top episodes of the series. This was the second part to the premire episode. I really enjoyed the episode, and it was much better than the first part of the episode. I really loved that Elle (special guest star Kristen Bell) came back into this episode, and man does she have a lot more power than any of us actually realized. (Kristen please come back in regular status!) Hiro (Masi Oka) and Ando (James Kyson Lee) going to Paris to stop Daphne (guest star Brea Grant) could maybe have done a little bit better, but a good job. Matt (Greg Grunberg) being stuck somewhere in Africa isn't a good storyline and i hope it gets resolved faster than Hiro in Japan did. The return of Meredith (guest star Jessalyn Gilsig) was awesome, and a great moment for HRG (Jack Coleman), Lyle (guest star Randall Bentley), Sandra (guest star Ashley Crow), and Claire (Hayden Panettiere). Now i only wonder what happened to Niki (Ali Larter), Micah (Noah Gray-Cabey), and Monica (Dana Davis)? I know that Tracy (Ali Larter) is here, but is she another Jessica or Gina?moreless

Freakin' sweet!

By super_friend21, Oct 16, 2008

A whole lot better than "The Second Coming" which makes it all the better. More action, more powers, more excitement - I love it! But did we need a Maya/Mohinder sex scene? Very un-Heroes, anyway...

I do not get the ratings struggle - if you call yourself a proper fan of a show but give up after 11 episodes because the storylines were not up to stracth is pathetic. Just ignore Season 2 just like how many "fans" ignore Season 3 of Prison Break and Season 2 of Desperate Housewives?? I know or Season 7 of Friends. It's just beyond me how people can be so critical - it was only 11 episodes of Season 2 and the criticism of Season 3 I don't get.moreless

Load More Reviews