The Eclipse: Part 1

Episode Reviews (40)

Great

The reverse of the Pilot

By super_friend21, Feb 16, 2011

No wonder this episode is split into two episodes because not a lot happened but there was room for potential to end this tiny story-arc. The ending felt too much like someone would either interrupt Noah or the heroes would get their powers' back! Overall it was entertaining viewing especially this part: Matt: Why don't you just let me inside? (tries to use his abilities)

Mr. Millbrook: Are you threatening me?

Matt: Uh, I said... let me in. (tries again to use his abilities)

Mr. Millbrook: Why are you turning your head sideways? What's your problem, son? LMAO so funny

But is it was also interesting to know "The Speedster" is not so fast without her powers! If you know what I mean...and there's never a dull moment with 10-year old Hiro and the squabbling Petrelli brothers! Look out for the Haitains, boys!moreless

The first of a two parter building things up nicely for next episode.

By hrgaffney, Feb 16, 2011

Heroes still seems to divide people between whether they love it or hate it and this episode seems to have split people's opinions just as much. It may be accused of being where nothing happens but actually there was quite a lot of build up, presumable to be resolved in part 2. I know the eclipse thing doesn't follow the rules of physics but in many ways that's not the point of the episode. It was interesting to see who could carry on without their powers and who fell apart. Mohinder appears to be back on track with his character, I was glad to see. It should be interesting to see what happens in part 2.moreless

Loved it. Didn't expect all those events, but loved it.

By tota1ity, Feb 16, 2011

Now this episode was awesome. I loved it so much.. Everything was so unexpected.. Everybody lost their powers and I sure hope they will get them back. At least the good guys. Arthur kept on getting stronger and stronger with every minute and now he is as powerless as an ordinary old man. Hiro thinks he is ten years old and Daphne can't walk normally. Syler showed his 'human' side. Claire can't heal and even after she got her first aid done, she started bleeding again.. Can't wait for the next episode. Who knows, what is going to happening. Stay tuned, cause I think it's just going to get better and better.moreless

The eclipse has begun and our Heroes find themselves without their abilities. Elle and Sylar go after Claire who is protected by Noah. Hiro, Ando and Matt go after Daphne to find what Arthur has against her. And Peter and Nathan try to recruit the Haitian

By Panicos888, Feb 16, 2011

The first part of the eclipse is action packed indeed. Ever since the show begun I always wanted to see an episode where our characters wouldn't have their abilties. And the way they did it was awesome.

After the events of the previous chapter where we found out about the existence of the catalyst (and we know it's Claire) Angela's side is trying to protect Claire while Arthur's side is trying to capture her. Claire is given under the protection of Noah. He decides to train Claire (since she has been wanting it since the first chapter of this volume). While training, Claire lets it slip that she was missing her father everytime she was gone, something which makes Noah think that he may not have known everything about his daughter's feelings. Elle and Sylar arrive at the same place, following the instructions of Arthur, to capture Claire. In the ensuing fight, everyone realizes they don't have their abilities (as the eclipse has started). Noah breaks Sylar's arm, Elle is knocked out and Claire, trying to protect Noah, is shot by Elle but doesn't heal. Taken back to their house, Noah attends Claire urging his wife not to call the hospital in case her ability manifests. When the bullet is removed and her temperature is normal, Noah leaves and goes after Elle and Sylar while Claire's wound gets worse in front of Sandra's eyes. Sylar and Elle get closer together but an angry Noah aims at them from the opposite terrance.

Elsewhere, Mohinder discovers he is nowhere near finding a cure for his power but when he looks at some of Arthur's sketches he realizes that there may be an answer in the eclipse. When the eclipse is total, Mohinder is reborn inside a cocoon and wakes up without any scales and completely normal. At that point he thinks he can finally come closer with Maya but Arthur stops him, with Flint's help, saying that Mohinder should work on the formula now more than ever.

Peter is with Nathan in Haiti trying to recruit the Haitian for the fight against Pinehearst. While there, Nathan's powers are gone. The two brother get into a fight when the biggest truths about each other surface at a time when their powers are gone. Peter claims that Nathan has always been Arthur's puppet and hasn't followed his dreams while Nathan reveals to Peter that he always needed someone to save him (reminding him of two times he saved him in volume 1) and that he was always weak. At that moment the Haitian appears and reveals he is after his brother Samedi (who has a power of his own - impenetrable skin) as he is a Level 5 escapee. He reveals he didn't know Arthur was alive and Peter urges Nathan to help the Haitian with his mission so he can come with them. Before he has time to argue with Peter, they are being shot and so they run. Peter and the Haitian manage to escape while Nathan is captured by Samedi who reveals to him he has known from Arthur that Nathan would come after him and he has been waiting.

Tracy calls Arthur who tells her that Nathan may be expendable and Tracy reminds him of their deal; to help him get Nathan on their side so Nathan would one day become President of the USA. Tracy is ordered by Arthur to go to Parris Island and create an army for the war that is coming.

Finally, Hiro still thinks he is a 10 year old boy and arrives at Matt's house. Realizing both Matt and Daphne that Hiro in fact has the memory of a 10 year old, Daphne runs away thinking that Matt doesn't trust her and that he wouldn't love her if he knew her secret. Hiro, Ando and Matt teleport to Lawrence, Kansas at Daphne's homeplace in order to find what Arthur has against her and she is so terrified. At that moment, Hiro's and Matt's powers are gone (as well as Daphne's) due to the eclipse and Matt realizes there is no easy way for him to get in as Daphne doesn't want him there neither does her father. Hiro convinces Matt not to give up his mission while he and Ando go to the nearest comic book store (Sam's comics) to find the next issue of 9th Wonders. There they meet Sam (Seth Green) and the comic book's co-owner Frack (Breckin Meyer) who are shocked to find out that the new comic book 9th Wonders has come to life. Meanwhile, when Daphne's father leaves, Matt seizes the opportunity to go inside Daphne's house where she reveals her secret; without her power she has braces at her legs in order for her to walk. Overall, it is a great episode that of course seems to be incomplete without its second part. All of the main characters are present in this one as we see our Heroes lives without their heroic powers. Matt and Hiro's chemistry is amazing as they are both funny actors. Kristen Bell (Elle) and Zachary Quinto (Sylar) also go great together. Finally I like the dynamic between Peter and Nathan as this was about to happen and I believe it did at the most perfect time. Key facts: Daphne's background story which is further expanded in the next chapter as well as in the graphic novels. Elle and Sylar come closer and closer together and they make a great couple indeed. Also the Haitian's background story is expanded (no we still don't know his real name). Tracy's story is important for the events after the eclipse and for the end of this volume. Enjoy!moreless

Every episode keeps getting better!!

By stockholmbarn, May 14, 2010

I've been waiting for this episode ever since I saw the promo on youtube. I mean every Hero's power are lost. That's just crazy but I like it. And Why are those critics bad mouthing this show. This and Supernatural and Prison Break is the best shows right now. Peter has changed so much during these 3 seasons. The first he was kind and cared about people. The seacond season he didn't know who he was, good or bad. The third his gone good but How long will it last and when will he turn to future Peter. HURRY HEROES!moreless

An excellent episode:

By cervantes60, May 14, 2010

This was a brilliant episode. Watching the heroes lose their powers and having to deal with being like every one of us. When Sylar and Elle were fighting Noah, the expression on both their faces when they found out they were without power was priceless. That is another thing I love about the show. The way they add dark comedy into it. Peter and Nathan were at odds. I love seeing the sibling rivalry. Nathan who feels he is his own man is pointed out by Peter that he is a puppet controlled by his father. I sensed a fight about to erupt. Lucky the Haitian shows up. Mohinder Suresh goes into a cocoon and comes out normal the way he use to be, but for how long?

When Matt finds Daphne he sees her the was she really is. What a perfect way for Arthur to control her and make her do his bidding.

Finally there is Clair. She is shot. Next week she is being brought to the hospital. Will she die? I doubt it. I personally fell that as she is about to die their powers will come back (as with the other heroes) and she will be able to regenerate. That is my feeling on the situation. I looking forward to next Monday to see if I am right.

To me, this is another brilliant episode by Tim Kring. I can see why so many people are hooked on Heroes.moreless

A solar eclipse takes away all the heroes' powers. Arthur sends Sylar and Elle to find Claire; Nathan and Peter go to Haiti in search of the Haitian who is looking for a level 5 escapee; Matt, Hiro and Ando go to Kansas in search of Daphne.

By suprememango, May 14, 2010

It is ironic that the episode where the heroes lose their powers is one of the best of the season and the series as a whole. This episode gets back to what makes Heroes great - characters and their relationships. There is some action and a few doses of comedy, but this episode is strongly character driven. Ordinary people dealing with life issues. We get wonderful moments between the Petrelli brothers; Claire and Noah; Matt and Daphne; and Sylar and Elle.

And the plot development is clear, succinct and intelligent. It was nice to have a change of scenery with the storyline in Haiti, and any international location helps the show feel more global. Let's hope they keep up the good work for The Eclipse Part Two and the remaining two episodes in the volume.moreless

It wasn't bad at all, it was good even, but it was very obviously a lead in for episodes eleven and twelve. Which is fine and necessary even but it just makes me want to see episodes eleven a twelve that much more.

By SMGslayer97, May 14, 2010

Tracey is playing both sides, though I'm guessing as a double sided lady herself Angela won't be falling for it. HRG and Claire are finally back together, working through some of their issues with one another, but that might not last. Nathan and Peter are dealing with some world threatening and some personal problems (I have a theory about Peter's purpose) in Haiti while retrieving the Haitian, the only man who can help them stop Arthur. Makes sense, though if you ask me couldn't someone just go take him out now. I mean he has no powers, I realize no one else does either but still. Then again no one knew that this eclipse would be playing the wacky with their abilities so I suppose they didn't have time to prepare.

I wasn't sure last week if Arthur was holding Mohinder at Pinehearst against his will but now I am. Mohinder may have been staying there voluntarily before because Arthur promised him help (and in part for Maya) but now that the eclipse has struck Arthur is insisting Mohinder keep at his work, even though Mohinder's abilities are temporarily gone.

Hiro and Ando have teamed up with Matt to bring Arthur down but on the way little Hiro manages to teach Matt something. Over the years all the characters have become very reliant on their powers, even if they didn't realize it. In ways they didn't realize even. Hiro showed Matt that he's still powerful without actual powers and he can still find ways to solve things, to stop things, to help people. He just needs to do it in a different way (that's actually probably a reference to all the characters regarding their powers, one in particular). Turns out though that Daphne didn't exactly need saving from something. Something is happening to her, something physical. I thought maybe it was tied to her powers but when Mohinder's went away all the side effects, the physical manifestations went away so I'm not so sure anymore. I'm thinking she's sick, poor Matt he can't catch a break with love.

Sylar is very eager to run after the tennis ball the moment his father throws it, strange I never pictured him as the whipped type but hey there's a first time for everything. In the beginning it seemed like Elle was generally worried about Gabriel, trying to show him that he shouldn't let his father control him. Then when they were at the car rental place it almost seemed like she was goading him into using his powers. But perhaps she was just trying to illustrate a point, he's powerful. More powerful that he knows and has been acting, which makes him a perfect target for people like Arthur and even Angela in some ways to use and manipulate into what they want. But what about him, what does he really want? Who is he really? Angela tells him he can be good, so he tries. Arthur says join him, so he does. Maybe he's a litlte more whipped then he first appears.

Gabriel has shown he wants to be good person, whether he's allied with Arthur or Angela he does seem to genuinely be trying. But what about that car rental guy? Did he kill him? I want to know badly because that one moment could speak volumes about his personal choice vs. what people want him to chose, what they are essentially trying to make him chose.

That end scene was intense. We've seen Gabriel without his powers a couple times. In season 1 one they went away, season 2 when he was infected by the virus but he's never actually been totally free of them. Both times they were just suppressed but this time they are completely gone, side effects and all. He's vulnerable to pain again now that he can no longer heal (Zach did a good job faking that injury, I mean wow he really looked like he was in pain with the screaming there). He's just human, no powers, no hunger. He's completely free. It's funny that in that moment Elle would show that she still feels very, very guilty about putting him on the path to becoming Sylar. We saw it in episode 8 (Villains) and she talked about it in the last episode (It's Coming) but I think the fact that it came up again shows that though she's forgiven herself for a lot she still feels guilty over a lot of the choices she made as 'a company girl'. Even with forgiveness, from herself and others, you can't just shrug those sort of things off. In the last episode we saw that she understands that Gabriel isn't responsible for the lives he took, if she can forgive him for killing her father then she could probably forgive him anything. And if he can forgive her...the more I think about it the more they seem like a perfect match in almost every way possible (I already love them of course). Apparently, Gabriel thinks so too. He wanted her before, when they first met, and he wants her now. He was free of his hunger and he went right for Elle. It was short (of course) but intense, then again that could have been HRG pointing a gun at them.

My question is who was he aiming at did he want to 'finish' things with Sylar, or shoot the chick who shot his daughter?

That being said that was a really, really good kiss. I'm already pretty much in love with Sylar/Elle. I'm not naive enough to think that it's going to end well, I mean come on but I already love them none the less. So when they blow up I'll have something to be devestated about, so I have that to look forward to. That'll be fun.

Now a theory of mine. I have faith that Sylar will abandon Arthur (yes I am 100% biased because I adore Sylar and am rooting for him 100%), I completely believe in him and I think now that he has Elle (whether he gets to keep her or not) he just needs one more specific piece. One more specific person to help him make the final transition into Gabriel. Someone who is wondering about their purpose.moreless

Review

By cavanagh15, May 14, 2010

The expectation level for this show has kind of fallen off, which is making these average epsiodes a little better for me. Last season this episode would have been rated about a 6 or so, but this season I don't have the highest expectations like I used to. I really like Matthew Parkmans storyline right now, him and Daphnie really do have a pretty good relationship with one another. There were two aspects of that storyline I didnt like: Hiro and the John Locke. Hiro being 10 years old, while entertaining acting skills, is a really stupid plotline I think. Also - Daphnie being John Locke under the eclipse? Im starting to think all the Lost references are just insults now. Think of how you felt when Locke was revealed to be paralyzed, and then think about this episode. They don't compare and what Heroes did was terrible. Combine that with the Nathan / Jack massive beard and this isn't the only time Hereos has done this. Other then that though - Matt Parkman is carrying the show for me right now and you never would have thought that at all a season ago. Nathan and Peters storyline trying to find the Hiatain seems like the massive part 2 to this whole thing. Claire + HRG have lost chemistry since season one, seems like all they do is grow apart now the more and more we learn about them. Sylar + Elle is pretty decent, they kind of picked up the slack for Claire + HRG.moreless

Finally, a return to a surprising and unpredictable Heroes

By feraflower, May 14, 2010

Even I have to admit, even Heroes has been. . .predictable lately. That all changes tonight. In a wonderful change of pace, there is a return to the surprising and unpredictable Heroes, where twisty revelations wait lurking in the corner. The episode breathes. And best of all, it puts the care back in the characters. The eclipse looms on the horizon and everyone from Pinehearst to Primatech preparing for battle with the other knows it. Even powerful Arthur is afraid of the eclipse. He pours page after page of visions, looking for answers, and he gets one he really won't like: Claire being held in Noah's arms, dying. Since she's supposed to be the catalyst, that doesn't sit well. He orders Sylar to go after Claire and Elle tags along. She wants to help Sylar and she's the one that finally confronts Sylar about how he's been yanked around this season and it's time to make a choice. Poor Sylar doesn't know which choice to make. A set-up by Elle to force a decision out of him makes a funny quirk how Sylar hates heroes. After all he's been through, yeah. Daphne and Matt are tasked to find Hiro but Hiro finds them, or rather, Ando did since Hiro's still "ten", following Issac's comics. Daphne acts spooked about facing Arthur over what he will take away from her, scared that Matt is hesitant about trusting her, and rather than fight, she flees to her home in Kansas. Matt, Ando, and Hiro follow her right during the eclipse. At Pinehearst, Mohinder is going through a rapid change into the ugly bug/lizard shown in the future but his change stopped during the eclipse. Part of me wanted to see the full change. Claire is ordered to hide with Noah but Claire is still mad over what happened with vortex guy and pissed she can't fight. Noah helps her through by teaching her how to fight, the right way, Claire vents how her father keeps leaving the family and Noah rightly reprimends her over being this brat towards him. Sylar and Elle storm in the house, Sylar correctly "guessing" where Noah is and Elle tries her powers, only to realize they're gone. A tense fight results between Sylar, Elle, and Noah, where Noah snaps Sylar's shoulder. Elle tries to shot Noah but Claire steps in, taking the bullet for her "daddy" but she faces the full blow. Noah drags Claire home, leaving Elle and Sylar. Nathan and Peter try to locate the Haitain to fight Arthur, and Nathan is forced to take a crash-landing. Peter finally confronts Nathan about their old brother issues, about how he's tired of being treated like the pesky little brother and how Nathan's been a tool, which Nathan argues over how many times he had to save Peter. Peter's reason is that he's worried about Nathan's future. Nathan reasons they have to get through the present. They find the Haitain but he's fighting his brother Baron who's scared the natives into doing his bidding. Baron's power: indestructable skin. Will have to wait some other time to see it. Unfortunately, Nathan is captured by Baron's troops, Arthur warned Baron his sons were coming, and to kill them, and it looks like Peter has to rescue his brother. Tracey is still negoiating to keep Nathan alive, and she is coldly powerhungry, but Arthur's not much in the mood. Noah returns Claire home to her shocked "mom". Claire is hurt but she's happy she can feel pain again and she forgives Noah. Noah isn't going to be so forgiving to Elle and Sylar. He races out to exact his revenge on both of them and it won't end well. In Kansas, Matt and Hiro reel in shock over losing their powers. Matt meets Daphne's father and tries to ask in but Daphne doesn't want to see him. Daphne's father notes how long Daphne's been gone. Hiro starts to get some of his old self back by helping Matt snap out of his shock and confront Daphne. Ando and Hiro go on their own to find the next comic installment. They reach a Sam's comic store looking for the next comic and they meet Sam and Frack, played by the incomparable and rightly placed Seth Green and Breckin Meyer. I hope they stay awhile in the show. Sam and Frack watch Hiro, amazed he is the same person as in the comic they're reading. Matt finally has the courage to confront Daphne and says he trusts her and finally, he tells her he doesn't care what secret she has, he loves her. Sweet. Daphne finally has the courage to show Matt her secret: she's crippled!!!! Wow. A reinvigorated Mohinder, cured of scales and slime, wants to find Maya to say he's changed and in some cases luckily, Arthur intervenes. He's pissed that he lost his powers and he wants Mohinder to fix it. Mohinder rightly says there's not much he can do but violent Flint assaults Mohinder, threatening worse violence if Mohinder won't cooperate. And finally, Elle and Sylar recover. Elle is still on the path to saving Sylar for nonselfish reasons but Sylar doesn't want to be saved. It's hard to say if he's a villain or a hero now. He's acting some of his old self but with more gentleness. Finally, Sylar and Elle kiss, I really wanted that to happen, right when Noah's placing a hit on them. Meanwhile, Claire's dying, this time maybe for real. There's still plenty of excitement left on Heroes and this episode proves that. It was exciting, thrilling, suspenseful, funny, touching, and unpredictable. That's the Heroes people want. That's the Heroes I love. Hopefully, the rest of the episodes will follow suit. The heroes will get their powers back, it's just a matter of time. It is nice for now to see them be regular human beings and think on their feet. There's only a few episodes left until the midseason finale. Based on this episode, it's bound to be exciting.moreless

Load More Reviews