Turn and Face the Strange

Episode Reviews (29)

Great

A lot of head-games going on in this episode. An almost frantic pace at places, matching the intended tone.

By oxana, Jan 06, 2012

Sylar harbors a grudge against Noah Bennet, apparently. He goes out of his way to make the man's life misery - and rather cleverly succeeds. Danko is helping him in a few places, though - perhaps to protect his own hide.

In the meanwhile, Matt is on a mission to teach Danko a meaning of pain. Misery surely loves company. Matt goes pretty far, but in the end, it is nice to see he has some reason left in himself. Also, with Hiro and Ando bringing him good news and new hope, perhaps it will be time for him to step out of the circle of pain and loss. (Yay for the Stop and Go Baby. Also, gotta love the faces Ando kept pulling.)

The ending with the Petrelli family seemed hurried - a lot. Perhaps in the next episode they will explain what the digging-out-corpses is all about, and what is the big secret Angela is now prepared to share with his family.

Nice to see Peter and Nathan together again. "Let him vent." Awesome!moreless

Good strong episode. Mindgames, reunions and a mysterious government project, who could ask for more?

By whiteraven2005, May 21, 2011

Very enjoyable, Sylar's mindgame is lots of fun but does mean our only inside man is on the run, there's no-one left inside the team who's on our side. Good, strong episode.

Matt wants payback and is focusing on Danko. Who would have thought? The psychopath has a girlfriend… okay, maybe not. Matt came pretty close but he's just not a killer. What happened got the job done without anyone having to die. Elena left, Danko's alone and miserable.

Out of nowhere, an answer: Noah mentions that Sylar survived Primatech when the glass in his head melted in the fire. Noah's too curious for his own good – Danko lied about Sylar being dead and concludes they're working together. Noah's day gets considerably worse – Sandra appears to want a divorce. She is a remarkable woman and the saddest thing is I don't think he even knew that until recently. Granted, it is actually Sylar trying to destroy him, but the reason Noah doesn't realize that is because it's mostly true. I think Sandra still loves him but after this, that probably won't occur to him. He's not a bad guy, just too good at his job and more than a little obsessive. The only mistake Sylar made was not trying to copy Sandra's signature, Noah's torment doesn't last long. But off one hook and onto another – Sandra really is here and Noah puts a gun to her head! Blame Sylar as much as he wants, it wouldn't have worked if Noah hadn't played his part. A particular stroke of genius on Sylar's part.

Noah constantly manages to surprise, he pretends to be Sylar and gets Danko to admit he's working with him. Sylar's actually a member of a team which, surprisingly, has been having a lot of wins recently. Danko plays Noah as well as Sylar does – gets him to kill a government agent so now Noah will have to run. It really is Sylar – did Noah hit the wrong spot or does the bullet theory just not work?

Matt's son's power has a downside, when he's unhappy, things stop working. Hiro and Ando are in the same gas station with Claire and Nathan and they don't notice each other! Moments later, you see Nathan and Claire fly over the car! Very cool. Little Matt knows when his father is here, all the cars start driving around by themselves, that's so sweet!

Coyote Sands was the location of a government project which Chandra Suresh was involved with. All that's left is a group of ramshackle buildings. The Petrelli reunion isn't as warm and fuzzy as we hoped, Peter takes one look at Nathan and stalks off. Thankfully, Nathan completely understands his reaction. Good news is the entire family is together again.

Very fun episode, Sylar's mindgames are great and just shows what kind of twisted genius he is. The Petrelli family reunited and looks like the next episode will dig up (apparently literally) Angela's skeletons.moreless

Syler what a bastard!!

By altaleh, Mar 29, 2011

Syler is using his new ability very well .. he really destroyed Benet !!!

i am a little late with watching the last episodes so i dont know whats gonna happen next .. but from this episode a new story has begun .. that what happened in the past .. and who are all these dead people !!!

Barkmin has a son .. how lovely .. and what is his son has to do with the story now ?? .. Sorish is digging in his father work and i think he is going to meet our friends in the dead people place ..moreless

Matt tries to take revenge from Danko himself for killing Daphne, Sylar plays mind games with Noah's life, Hiro and Ando continue on their quest to reunite the two Matt Parkmans and Angela gathers our Heroes to make a great revelation at Coyote Sands.

By Panicos888, Mar 29, 2011

The story here is really amazing but I do have to idmit not without its faults. The main problems of the Heroes writers is that they don't have everything they have written up to these point written down somewhere at least in the back of their heads. Starting with timing, I clearly still believe the Heroes universe is around 2007 (still two years behind real time). There hasn't been an indication of the timeline for ages now.

Regardless, the actors are awesome and their performances excellent. In this chapter the highlight is that of Ashley Crow (Sandra Bennet) for portraying Sandra-shifted Sylar. She is excellent. Furthermore, Greg Grunberg lives up to the hype as he convinced me more in this episode that he had any feelings for Daphne, that when she actually died two episodes ago.

Zachary Quinto (Sylar) is also great but the real deal is HRG in this one when he as well lives up the expectations by delivering an HRG who is impersonating Sylar. The writers finally grasp the chance to show off some of the powers they have in the show without making it look like an X-Men movie. Sylar's shapeshifting ability is amazing and one that has been missing from the show. Now to the story part of the review, Noah comes back to the good guys, Sylar succeeds in getting his way with Noah by destroying his marriage and Danko's background (at least a small part of it) is revealed. Finally, Hiro and Ando reunite the two Matts and Angela's story is about to be unfolded in the following chapter and a small introduction is being placed at the end of this one. Enjoy!moreless

By screenagedkicks, Mar 29, 2011

Thankfully, 'Turn and Face the Strange' picks up the pace somewhat after last week's slightly frustrating navel-gazing, but it's not without its problems. Yet again, the plot feels like an overblown run around, with character allegiances shifting for no apparently good reason. So someone has yet another, all-too-easy confrontation with Danko (you'd think the man would at least change his locks or, you know, move house after Petrelli AND Sylar have been able to find him... what does he do, advertise in the local press?!) and lets him go. Oh sure, we all get that Matt Parkman isn't a killer but how about taking the morally ambiguous ground for once? Being brave and not making the obvious narrative decision? And then, just to make matters worse, Hiro arrives just in the nick of flaming time and saves the day, fixing Matt's apparently 'broken' character with a visit from his bairn! A bairn, who, I might add, is responsible for one of the most vacuous plots we've ever seen in the whole 'Ando makes a funny face' trope. I get that this was an attempt at injecting some irreverent humour into the show, building on the 'cutesy' appeal of the Japanese characters, but let's call a spade a spade here... it stunk, no two ways about it. I'm also rather dubious about Angela's sudden revelation and need to gather everyone at this random, abandoned place so they can 'finally know the truth'. Um, how many times has that sentence been uttered in the show's three year run? Frankly, I'm sick of 'peeling the onion', as it were, finding that there's some secret, probably not so major and really rather throwaway, revelation about the characters' pasts that we weren't previously privy to (and that, usually, retcons what has already been established). What's with the grave-digging, too? Is it really necessary? Why isn't Angela mucking in? And why do they all obey her every, generally evil and malicious, whim? Sigh. Sounds like I hated this one, doesn't it? Well, I didn't really. Greg Grunberg is excellent when he's confronting Zelkjo, Jack Coleman is given HRG's best material in aeons as he gets to go super-paranoid on his poor wife's ass and the shapeshifting development continues to show great promise for Sylar's storyline, which Zachary Quinto clearly relishes. I just wish they'd take a little more time to think their stories through before executing them. With a smidgeon of extra attention, the frustrating gripes could be ironed out.moreless

All I can say is wow. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. It's been 30 minutes since the episode wrapped and my heart is still pounding.

By nameloc86, Aug 06, 2010

I wasn't sure what to expect from this episode. I knew that they wouldn't get around to the story line of Angela's past until "1961", so I didn't really expect a whole lot. But it sure did exceed my expectations. The highlights of the episode:

The Hiro and Ando scenes were funny and continued to be the comic relief that I enjoyed. The emotions of Matt Parkman was very moving and was fitting for the character. It was good to see a little bit of Danko outside the government operation and Zeljko did a great job of showing Danko's sadness when his girlfriend Alena found out who he really was. I loved how Sylar got to Mr. Bennet without physically harming him just. And Jack Coleman did a fantastic job as Mr. Bennet and portraying his desperation to prove Sylar was still alive and take him down. I was surprised to find out Agent Donner was Sylar. I really thought that Danko was. The whole suspense of who and where Sylar is had me on the edge of my seat and the best part of the episode.

The acting was great, the writing was sweet and the whole feel of the episode was outstanding.

The ending of the episode and the preview of the next already has me salivating. I really enjoy where Angela's character and the rest of the Petrelli family is heading. Next Monday can't get here quick enough. There's one more final thing for me to say: GO HEROES!!!!!!!moreless

awesome

By feraflower, Aug 06, 2010

Just when I think Heroes can't surprise me, in comes a wonderfully terrific episode like this one. It is easily one of the best this season, a tour de force that is twisted, strange, exciting, suspenseful, and humorous. Whatever is going behind the scenes, keep it up, crew. Hiro and Ando are still trying to get to Matt. Their choice of a ride happens to be a Southern Japanese man. Wow. That I've never seen before. Way to go, Heroes. He agrees to take Hiro and Ando to Matt. Unfortunately, Hiro and Ando discover little-Matt's power-glitch. Turns out his power is driven by emotion. When he's happy, he supercharges inanimate powers/objects. When he's sad, stuff goes kapoot. Southern-Japanese guy dumps Hiro-Ando-Little-Matt, leaving them rideless. Matt is furious over Daphne's death. He wants Danko's blood, he wants to see the man suffer. Mohinder tries to reason with him but Matt won't hear it. He thanks Mohinder and calls him his friend (guess their spat in Cold Wars is resolved) and leaves. At Building 26, Noah is still in shock over Sylar's "death". He doesn't believe it, doesn't want to believe it. He wanted to spill Sylar's blood. Danko assures him he got him. Or not. Sylar's having a little fun with his shapeshifting. Danko is scared that Sylar's rattling Noah too much, Danko's not an idiot to realize Noah can't be messed with. Sylar smirks. Whatever joy-trip he's getting with Danko is put on hold. Time for some revenge on his nemesis. He wants to see Noah suffer. Noah is interrupted by Sandra, demanding to know where Claire is and to find her right away. Noah tries to tell her Sylar's still alive but she doesn't care. Once again, she chews him out on family-first. Noah continues his vendetta and investigates the Sylar-body Danko brought in. His first clue? 'Sylar' didn't regenerate. Angela phones Noah, asking him to meet her at , the place of her vision. It's really important that she go there. Noah refuses again. Matt trails Danko when he finds Danko with a woman. Hum. Guess Danko is human after all. Matt catches up with the foreign-girlfriend. After deliberation, he refuses to kill her but when she finds him, he decides to glean information. His probes and questions lead him to the fact that Danko's been pretending to be someone else. This someone else has two kids and a home in Chicago. F.G. really loves Danko and it hurts Matt even more to realize that Danko loves someone but yet he took away Matt's love. Mohinder goes back to his Brooklyn apartment (yessssss. So good to see it again) to collect himself and get his old data. I guess he feels it's time to resume his quest to find heroes. His landlord confronts over the bridage barging in due to Mohinder. They took all of Mohinder's father's data in the apartment but the landlord left some of the files in storage. He leaves Mohinder alone after Mohinder promises he will leave by the next day. Hiro-Ando try to comfort Little-Matt and Ando is forced to make silly faces all the way so Hiro can keep driving. They phone Mohinder and figure out where Matt's going. On the drive there, Nathan and Claire fly past them, looking to meet up with Angela and Peter. Wonderful Season One-like moment. Sandra serves Noah divorce papers, telling him it's over, she's through with his lies, and she doesn't love him anymore. Noah is stricken. Worst, that was actually Sylar. He did say he wanted to destroy Noah and using his family? Y-ouch. Evil. Noah observes 'Sandra's' signature and realizes it doesn't match Sandra's and the autoposy DNA is confirmed to him as the shapeshifer's. Noah storms into Sandra's apartment, thinking she's Sylar. He pulls a gun on her, pins her to a table, despite her protests. Poor Sandra. A call from Lyle asking about Mr. Muggle's pills makes Noah realize it is Sandra. He lets go, anguished and torn. He tries to explain to Sandra about Sylar but it's not good enough. Sylar was lucky enough to pinpoint Noah's current predicament and make it worst. Noah pulling the gun on her was enough. She shoves Noah out the door. Danko comes home, Matt pointing a gun to him and F.G. He reveals to F.G. just who Danko really is and the fact that he killed Daphne. F.G. is tramatized. Danko is enraged, furious that Matt dragged his girlfriend into this, but hey, he strapped Matt to a bomb and killed his girlfriend. What did he expect Matt to do? He tries to convince F.G. that Matt is lying, that he's not evil, but she no longer trust him. She sees him as the monster he really is. Matt threatens to shot F.G. Danko goads him to do it. Nice guy. Not even his girlfriend's life will stop him from hunting heroes. His vendetta on them is so strong, it is everything to him. Way to win points. Matt relents, understanding that Danko won't stop and that F.G.'s death won't bring back Daphne. Danko holds his gun to him and Matt surrenders to his fate. The gun shot is frozen by Hiro (phone books are wonderful things) and he chairs Matt away. Funny. Danko's shot grazes the chimney. F.G. leaves, Danko wounded. He really did love her but his life caught up to him. He limps back to Building 26. Noah pretends to be Sylar in disguise and Danko confirms his suspicions that Danko-Sylar are a team. He holds Danko at gunpoint, seething, rightly asking just what Danko felt was going to happen, that Sylar was going to kill all the heroes and then he would invite Danko home to share cherry pie? No. Once Sylar's through with his plan, Danko won't be left standing. He demands Sylar's whereabouts and Danko fesses to Sylar current disguise. Noah stops a brigade team and outs the one Danko fessed as Sylar. He demands Sylar reveal himself but the man acts confused. When Noah looks for Danko's confirmation, Danko all of a sudden doesn't know what he's talking about. Not waiting, Noah shoots the soldier and watches him bleed on the floor. Danko checks the pulse. None. Noah looks to be crazy and he just shot an innocent man in front of the team. Noah flees, flinging pedestrians out of his way. Hiro gently admonishes Matt and Matt says he regrets his actions but he has nothing to live for. Not so. Hiro and Ando reveal Little-Matt to Matt. Father and son meet and little-Matt smiles at Daddy. Awwwwwwwww!!! Turns out Soldier was Sylar. He just faked his death for a good time. Meanwhile, Danko got rid of his last internal threat. All good? Not for him. He phone F.G. and explains that the man he pretended to be is who he wants to be but can't be. He begs her to come back but good guess says she won't. Mohinder finds an old picture of his dad and reads of his involvement in Angela's current location. Peter and her land in the site. Nathan and Claire soon follow. Peter of course, is furious over his brother. Nathan doesn't deny or defend himself. Peter storms off but Claire pulls him back while Angela explains that they need to pull together as a family. It's important they dig up the secrets of the site, for some reason. Noah joins them, Claire reunited with both fathers, while the first find of the site is a mass grave. Wow. Really, really good episode. See what happens writers when you put the characters first? Wonderful things. Matt's meet with Little-Matt was beautiful. Daphne may be gone but at least he has his child to look after. Mohinder's relationship with his father comes back (yea!) and Mohinder looks to be taking up his old scientist mantle. Hoorah! Even though the shapeshifting power has extreme destructive potential, it was a strange but wonderful twist to see Sylar as his Season One villainous self, a shadowy threat that you don't know how or where he'll strike. It was painful to watch Noah's family life unravel and how painful he took it when he realized he almost killed his wife. Danko is shown to be human and he doesn't even like himself that much. He'd rather pretend to be someone else. I'd really like to know what happened to make him hate heroes so much. I'd like to see the Petrellis reconnect. I'd like to see what Matt will do with little-Matt. And I'd like to know what happened at Angela's old site and fingers crossed it's very important to the storyline. Emotional, heartbreaking, heartwarming, strange, exciting, suspenseful, what can I say other than this episode rocked. Keep it up, Heroes, keep it up.moreless

A return to action, and another great episode.

Warning, spoilers contained below.

By Dark_Davis, Aug 06, 2010

So when this episode finally rolled around, I was pretty excited to see what havoc Sylars new power could cause, and I didn't have to wait too long to find out. Noah might have found out that Sylar is still alive, but he has no clue of his new power, which is bad news for him. But Noah is not the only person who gets themselves into some trouble this episode, and it was interesting to see the various plots turning more interesting this episode. This episode really went above and beyond what I thought it would, and I am really happy that last week's episode was a onetime thing. I mean, it wasn't bad, it felt like it was created to sort of smooth things over with some of the characters, like calm before the storm. And not that I don't like that, I thought it was a good idea, I just didn't enjoy it as much as this episode. I was just hating how the end turned up, not because I didn't like the story, but because I dreaded the fact that I had to wait until next Monday to find out what the heck this big secret is. A great episode that bring back the excitement I saw in previous episodes of this season, hopefully this pattern continues.moreless

If an episode not written by Bryan Fuller is this amazing, I wonder what will happen next week.

By smak712, Aug 06, 2010

This episode was different. It had me guessing the entire way. It had action, it was emotional, twists in every corner, Ando was hilarious, and Hiro saves Matt Parkman life. Sylar is more bad ass then ever. HRG becomes parinoid trying to kill Sylar. This episode had so much going on it was like watching Shoot em up, or Crank. There was hearts broken, tears shed and mysteries to be discovered. This episode had it all. I have not one complaint about this episode. The Next 3 episodes I hope will make up for the bad of season 3. This is the time for all Heroes fans who have given up on the show to give it one more chance. There is still 1 or 2 Bryan Fuller episodes. I think next week is one of them because he said there would be one as good as Company Man. After all the weeks of fustration, this has been a good couple of weeks. If you missed out on Shades of Gray, Cold Snap, not so much Into Asylum, and expecially this one, then stop reading and go to NBC.com and watch them.moreless

I haven't seen an episode this good in a long time. Everything was so well written, the intertwining plotlines were fantastic and it had me guessing the whole time. Bryan Fuller you are the king of kings.

By shani_boy101, Aug 06, 2010

All you can really say about is wow, just wow. As soon as it starts you KNOW Bryan Fuller was completely in charge of episode, I seriously can't comprehend how freakin amazing it was.

The main focus of this episode are these two intertwining mini-plotlines; Matt Parkman destroys(figuratively) Danko and Sylar destroys Bennet. They both focus on the same thing- the two destroyers attempt to ruin the destroyees via their loved ones. This was fantastic, because it was a very different way of how people exact revenge in the show normally- Be waiting in their house with a gun or "Sylar"ing them. It was a great way to show that these seemingly emotionless "hitmen" (Noah and Danko are pretty alike) actually care about other people, that they have feelings, and can be broken down. The way Bennet found out about Sylar and him mistaking Mrs Bennet for Sylar was pretty sad, i have to admit. Great scene though.

Hiro and Ando. CLASSIC Hiro and Ando. Bryan Fuller you are the awesomest dude working on the show, period. He gave us the Hiro and Ando humour we've loved ever since the first episode. 1: Baby cries and "Touch and go"'s the car to make it stop.

2: Get picked up a Japanese guy with a thick texan accent, baby "touch and go"'s the truck aswell.

3: Ando pulls the funniest face i've ever seen (seriously, it had me in stitches) and that makes the baby happy so the car goes.

HirAndo(just made that up on the spot, i'm sick of typing Hiro and Ando, there i did it again)'s plotline also melds with parkmans which keeps it clean.

At the moment it seems that theres very few plotlines now; Petrelli's + Bennet and possibly Suresh, HirAndo and Parkmans, Danko and Sylar. This way its great as they don't need to rush things to bring them all together.

Angela's burial site at Coyote Sands is really intriguing, we'll definetely find out why its there next episode.moreless

Load More Reviews