Higher Ground

$12.93 that includes Shipping

Contact me by email:

HIGHER GROUND great show, but didnt like the path it took after EPISODE 4

By francissellerdu, Apr 29, 2013

The premise of Higher Ground was absolutely great (troubled teens going to an isolated from society school to work out their problems with peers and counselors) and like no other, and I really liked the show, but I didn't like the route it took after episode 4.

The characters were great, and all the actors did a good job (considering that all these kids had deep emotional problems) but the interactions that some characters had with the others sometimes got really annoying (namely Shelby, Auggie and Sophie).

I thought Scott (Hayden Christensen) and Juliette (Meghan Ory) were an absolutely perfect couple (one of the best in FILM in my opinion). I liked the show right off the bat (mostly because of Hayden), but once Scott and Juliette were together, I loved the show. I can't express how great they were together! I thought it was interesting when they broke up, but I figured that eventually they would get together again, I never suspected that that would be it between them! Anyway, after that, Auggie did not go well with Juliette and Shelby did not go well with Scott.

I also thought that Hannah was a great counselor and shouldn't have been cut and replaced by Sophie. I didn't like the love triangle between Peter the counselor (Joe Lando), Chloe and Sophie and always thought he should (and eventually would) just dump them both and get with Hannah.

That being said, the show was very good, but after EP 4 it when downhill in my opinion. If I had known, it should have stopped there at EP 4 (which was an extremely high point and good breaking point). BUT I would have liked a second season if it when back in the Scott and Juliette direction.

For me, the show up to EP 4 is a perfect 10. Up to the end, its a 7.moreless

This show really got me! It's AMAZING

By Mariegal19, Mar 28, 2013

I started to watch Higher Ground when I was 14 years old, that was back when I had the channel WAM which would have Higher Ground on periodically throughout the week.

I have recently re-watched the entire series on You Tube even now almost a decade later I'm now 23 the show still affects me. It gets me right in my heart, it made me laugh, cry and feel the characters emotions all over again as if I was seeing the episodes 4 the first time!

Now if THAT isn't the hallmark of a fantastic show I don't know what is!

I watched Higher Ground because it was and still is a very dramatic and wonderfully acted show!

I loved all the characters of Higher Ground.

I really love the relationship between Scott and Shelby, by helping each other through their pain they connected and fell in love even more. Their relationship was one of my favorite ones on the show! It was amazing to see it evolve over the season. The conclusion of their relationship was extremely satisfying to me!

I think the work Hayden did in this short lived series as Scott is one of his best performances of his career!

He captured the pain, anger, and confusion of his character's awful situation so well on screen that every time I watch the show, my focus goes directly to him.

I loved how each episode focused a specific character's story and how at the end of each episode you not only feel like you've learned a valuable life lesson but you know that the character or characters have learned a lesson as well.

That is why I love this show so much because it has everything, drama, comedy, romance and valuable life lessons that truly I think captured real teenage problems.

I really think Fox Family Channel made a dire mistake to take this amazing show off the air!! I think that they should of given it a second chance!!

That song just won't leave my head!!

By AichaWilliams, Nov 05, 2012

I saw this show ages ago when it was on TV. Now I found it again on youtube, and I'm newly addicted. Problem is: I still haven't been able to figure out which song is playing in the backround in Episode 18 during the scene when Shelby says goodbye to Scott. I really hope someone out there knows the answer, because I haven't been able to figure it out...

A great show, but only really had one season in it.

By Tortured_Mike, Jun 17, 2009

Firstly I will say that this is a great show and one of my favourites ever. The drama was fantastic and the characters were quite well written, each with their own twisted past and story. Each with demons they needed to fight.

Practically episode was thrilling dramatic television and I would recommend this show to anyone.

However I will say that I believe this show ended at the right time. When you watch it all the way through, it feels like it really had a good ending in the right place.

To be honest, I'm not sure this show could have gone on for another 22 episodes and kept the quality.

The majority of storylines were practically resolved and any second season would have seen the writers backtrack the characters progress just to squeeze more drama out of it.

I love this show and think it's great, but I'm glad it finished when it did and that it had such a great ending.moreless

By ereksmental, Jul 21, 2008

i love this show! it's not like what you see in TV nowadays. who knew that each character either had a crime spree, abused, or disorder, and yet deep inside they are so intrapersonal. when they talk about what they think, it really opens my eyes. they truly do have common sense. they also have really good vocabulary. and my favorite part of the show, is when after the theme song they put a quote. it differs on what episode you're watching. btw i love auggie! he was known for getting into trouble at his hometown. he has dyslexia, but i never knew he could be so caring and understanding. he's a really sweet guy. i like daisy and her comebacks at shelby ^_^

but it's sad that this show didn't made it for half a year. why did they cancelled it? it was so unique. all the good shows that i like are always gone right before my eyes.moreless

I decided to re-watch this show due to actors I love, but honestly, troubled teens at a school with trekking as therapy? Doesn't sound too good. But I was so wrong. It's absolutely fantatsic! Made me both laugh and cry. (review incl proper ep order)

By darth_pocki, Mar 23, 2008

I watched this show years ago due to Hayden Christensen having a big role (and me being a Star Wars fan). I remember enjoying it on the weekend mornings for a month or so (yes, they aired like two episodes both Saturday and Sunday), maybe mainly cause it was what was on you know?

Then ever since I fell in love with Firefly, and with that Jewel Staite, I've somewhat wanted to watch Higher Ground again, but never got around to it. Then not too long ago I found my way to the cast list again and realised that two other actresses from shows I totally adore nowadays were in it as Cliffhangers (A.J. Cook and Kandyse McClure if you're wondering). I just had to give it another go.

I set out thinking that I would manage to watch it due to slight nostalgia and squeefulness over actors. That a show about troubled teens in a school in the mountains would be quite cringe worthy… oh I was wrong.

I didn't end up gobbling up this show for the actors, but for its excellence. It just made me so happy. Despite the hardship these kids go through they still brought a big smile to my face… and even tears to my eyes on numerous occasions. And if a show makes me cry, it sure is a good one.

I'm so sad that it never got a second season. But I do think that the end works as the end for the series, everyone being happy and looking up at the 'falling stars'… even if it would've been better as a season finale of course. Because I do think they had set it up nicely for a second season, with a new character seemingly there to stay (I would've loved to see David evolve into someone we could actually like) and a way for us to not lose Kat even if she's graduating.

And oh man, I wish they would give this show a proper DVD release.

To those of you who might be reading this and wondering if you should watch the show: DO IT!

But please keep in mind… the original order the episodes aired (which is the order here on TV.com) is WRONG. Very much so actually. Stuff makes very little sense if watched in that order. You have a character there all of a sudden that you've never seen before but everyone seems to know… and a couple of episodes later you get her intro episode. Not too good. Therefore I want to give you what I (and many others) believe is the proper order (at least it worked very well watching it like this):

1x01 – Scott Free

1x19 – Because It's There

1x20 – Falling Up

1x21 – Mended Fences

1x22 – Because I Love Youmoreless

I love this show, I wish that it was not cancelled. At least not before a few seasons aired.

By blueheros, Jun 21, 2007

A school is open in a secluded area to help troubled teens. The show focuses on the highest risk teens. And it covers their stuggles of growing up, and how their pasts effect the way they act and how they act out. The stow shows real life, and the hard ships people, especially teens sometimes have to go through. The show shows how events that happen in peoples lives effect how they act day to day. And how they become the people they do. The drama was one of the greatest shows I watched, and hate the fact that it was cancelled, now all I can hope for is the DVD box set release. And I will be one of hopefully many to buy it.moreless

The show is woderful it has great out look to show kids that dont have problems how the kids with problems act and why they have a hard time in everyday life. It shows meaning and how much the problems that most would find easy, are really hard to others.

By nycolebanzet, Jun 01, 2007

Higher Groung is like one of the best tv shows there ever was. A show on teens and the problems that they have prblems with. It is a very real and life changing show. Growing up I lived with a lot of the same problems as the kids in the show ever though they were acting it still made me feel as if some one made the show because they knew that a lot of kids had problems like this so it let me know that i was not the only one out there. The show had heart break and love and lust and hope and it was an awesome show. Great show I wish it would come back.moreless

Excellent show!

By perian, May 22, 2007

I never saw it while it was on the air, but I just recently got my hands on it, watched the first half of the season, and was pleasantly surprised. It dealt well with some pretty big issues, but had some fun while doing it, and felt a lot more real than other teen dramas like Dawson's Creek and The O.C. And it's completely packed with excellent (mainly Canadian) actors who've now gone on to bigger (though not necessarily better!) things. Especially good are Jewel Staite and Kandyce McClure, and I'd love to see Kyle Downes in something else. I can't wait to watch the second half!moreless

Load More Reviews