Hikaru no Go

Show Reviews (18)

Great

Awesome Series!

By iceblast, Mar 07, 2014

The greatest Go player in history, is a ghost named Sai, and he is teaching Hikaru how to play go. But at the start, Sai, played a few games of go with Hikaru's help. Imagine, a 12 year old kid sits down. He says he's never played go before. He's going to play the son of the best go player today, who's as good as a pro, and this kid beats him. Now, how would you react to something like that. Think of it another way though, what if that kids wants to learn how to play, but some people have seen him play incredible games, but now they see him play really badly. The shadow of Sai's games follow Hikaru around. How does he deal with that.

I have watched this series many, many times, and I just finished watching it again. I don't know how to play go, and I still don't. I've never played the game before. I know the basic idea of how to play, but never tried.

I love this series. I really get into it. I'm watching characters play awesome games of go, and I don't have a clue of what's going on in the game, but the dialog is so good, and the music with it is great, it just sucks you in. I wish people were as passionate and serious about games here in the US as they are in this series. This series really makes you want to be a part of the atmosphere of these players. I hate that the series ends, it feels like it's just getting started. I keep looking for a second series, with them older, and find out just how good Hikaru becoming, what kind of impact to the world of go does he really do. I would love to talk to the create of this series.

It's a crime that there is a English Dub of this series, but you can't buy it. It doesn't make any sense how a series that is this good, that has been done in a English Dub, and the Dub is well done, isn't for sale anywhere.

Anime really is the best story telling device in the world, and should be huge in the US. But I don't think it's been introduced to the US in a way that viewers would understand it best. Usually you watch a anime series for the first time, and if it's the right one, you fall in love with anime, if it's the wrong one, you hate anime. Very odd how that works. There a ocean of anime out there. Everyone knows, not every anime is awesome, but there are tons of awesome anime.

Hikaru No Go is one of those animes. It is a great story, and you don't need to know anything about the game of go to watch it. It's the story that gets you. For me, I use to play chess growing up, and I was really serious about it. So, I can relate to how serious they are about go.

moreless

When Shindo Hikaru gets intertwined with a legendary go player from ancient Japan named Sai he is forced to play more and more go. Soon he learns to like it but is he good enough to become a pro?

By earthquake17, Jul 27, 2008

Hikaru No Go is the best anime ever. And i hate go. So thats saying something. The story is so amazing. The show goes in depth to countless characters letting us get to know them. Something that most shows do not let you see or do not give enough detail. It is the second closest to a perfect show I have seen next to Lost. It shows so much development in each character, for instance Hikaru starts out a playful ignorant kid but grows into this serious go player. The best part of the show is that it does not just show development for Hikaru it shows it for Waya,Isumi,Mitani,Honda,Touya Akira, and a couple others.moreless

You won't like this show as much if you don't play the game of go. To play you can go to www.gokgs.com. Good show, interesing, I also watch it on www.toonamijetstream.com

By E-Dawg47, Jun 19, 2008

Go is a asian board game, it is played by playing with 2 players and whoever gets the most territory on the board wins, to help get territory you can capture stones or prisoners by surrounding the enemy pieces. This show is about a regular boy named hikaru who goes to his attic to find something to sell, he finds an old go board and that is inhabitited by a spirit named fujiwara no sai or just sai. Sai is an old go instructer to an emperor back in time. He was beat at his job by another go instructer that cheated in a game of go to decide the best one. after sai loses he drowns himself in a pond and is sealed into a go board. Now Hikaru must constantly play go to please sai, and actually plays the game after that.moreless

A very entertaining anime

By Akari-chan, Jun 18, 2008

This anime is about a boy who plays Go…

Hikaru no Go is a great anime, it is realistic, dramatic and funny. The music is great, the sound is fairly average but well done (in my opinion), while sometimes going over the top. Considering that HnG isn't an action packed anime, the animation is well done and the art is good, the animators did what they had to do (this isn't Rurouni Kenshin or Naruto) so there is no need to exceed the animation. The characters are great, it has strong character development, and you see how each one of them develops physically and mentally throughout the series. I personally think that the story is good; I mean is simple, realistic and it has a good purpose.It really impressed me how they can make an anime about Go very interesting, the series teach you how to play the game along with Hikaru and also a little bit of culture.

This is simply one of the best anime out there, give it a try, it is worth watching, it is an anime that people of all ages can appreciate. If you are an action-oriented anime fan, this is not the anime for you, but if sometime you want a change of pace I recommend this series.

WARNING: If you are interested in watching this show I highly recommend watching it in the subbed versionmoreless

This show is awesome!

By ffmotorsports51, May 13, 2008

At first, this show is hard to understand, but after an episode or two, you'll be hooked. This show is about Hikaru Shindou, a normal middle school child who one day finds a Go board in his grandfather's store house basement. He recognizes a blood stain on the board. He suddenly hears a voice of a spirit calling out to him, who happens to be Fujiwara-no-sai, a spirit who seeks to play "The Divine Move". Hikaru is the only one who can see Sai. Sai then teaches Hikaru how to play Go, and eventually Hikaru becomes a pro player at Go. Go is a very popular game in east Asia. This game is confusing to figure out. At first, it just seems like putting stones on a board with no clue about what is happening. Do not worry, the characters do the play-by-play. The dialog in this show is great. It is fun to see what happens in the show. The music rocks!! I like the opening theme "I'll be the One" by H/\LNA. Overall, awesome show, cute,memorable characters, excellent music.moreless

A manga/anime about a boy who plays a board game called Go. Sounds boring, right? WRONG!

Hikaru no Go is a thoroughly enjoyable series, for anyone who is willing to give it a chance.

By ensatsu-ken, Apr 07, 2008

I'll admit, this series was a surprise for me, mainly because I hardly knew anything about the game of Go (an ancient game, developed in Asia, that is still played by some people today). Most people will take one look at the synopsis of this series, and immediately be turned off by its young characters, as well as its overall concept. Well, let me tell you that this is not the case. The young characters develop and mature very well, and there are plenty of adult characters as well.

Now, it starts off somewhat slow, but trust me when I say that it only takes a few chapters/episodes (since the anime is generally the same as the manga as far as story line goes, with the exception that it ends prematurely) to really get hooked onto this series. You don't even need to know the first thing about Go to enjoy any of the manga or anime, because it heavily revolves around deeper themes that we can all relate to, such as friendship, rivalry, and many other moral values. The characters of HnG are very likable, and the story and text is written perfectly. And, as for the animation in the anime, it is average, and so is the voice acting and sound quality, but it is all more than enough to get the job done.

Maybe if you're the type who absolutely needs action, then you probably won't enjoy this series, but if you can at least deal without action every once in awhile, then you should have absolutely no problem enjoying Hikaru no Go. My only problem with HnG, is that the anime ends prematurely (from what I hear), and the manga ending ends as though the actual ending was cut off. The ending doesn't exactly feel rushed, but it felt like there was some room for a few more chapters to tie up some of the loose ends of the story, but instead it just ends at a certain point, as if it had just been canceled. Although, keep in mind, that there were a few "extra" chapters released after the series had finished, and those may be the ones that tie up the loose ends of the story, however I'm not certain of that yet, because I still have to read them.

With all of that said, HnG is a thoroughly enjoyable series, and will most likely have you coming back for more, even at the very end of the series (especially at that point, actually). Its not your average manga/anime, and is very unique/original, which makes it a good change of pace from all of the action and mediocrity of many other anime that come out these days (although not all new anime are like that, because we do have a few great titles such as Death Note, and from what I've heard so far, Romeo X Juliet). Anyways, Hikaru no Go is a great series, and I feel that everybody who is a fan of manga and/or anime, should give this series a try. I give the Hikaru no Go anime, a well deserved 8.5 out of 10. And I give the Hikaru no Go manga, a more than well deserved 10 out of 10.moreless

Nice show

By wantafanta3452, Jan 15, 2008

Hikaru No Go is one of few animes that involve board games which I've come to accept. The animation is very beautiful, the characters done superbly. The characters go through the struggles in finding strength within themselves. Along with that, there are dramatic changes throughout the story. The characters began to develop little by little. Until later on you see their full potential bloom. This anime has even interested me in learning more about the game "Go." Though this is not one of the action animes out there it is still quite interesting. But if you prefer action, this may not be one for you to watch.moreless

The World of Go.

By paoros16, Dec 14, 2007

Hikaru Shindo is just a normal twelve year old boy. But, one day he comes across an old Go board. A figure comes out of the board and merges with Hikaru. His name is Sai and he wants to achieve the perfect game of Go. After Hikaru finds Sai he goes to a Go club where he meets a young boy named Akira who is a prodigy at the game of Go but Sai defeats him easily. Thinking that Hikaru beat him he sets out to play another game of Go with Hikaru. Howeever when they play again Akira easily defeats Hikaru and doesnt believe that he thought of him as a rival. This makes Hikaru want to prove that he is his rival and gets insturctions on how to play Go form Sai. This is a good show because it is different than any thing I have ever seen. It is really intresting and is worth giving a shot.moreless

A young man's journey from an ordinary student to a full fledged Pro Go player.

By Angel-Angelus, Nov 18, 2007

Hikaru No Go is a beautifully animated anime about a young boy trying to become a pro. With the help of a friend named Sai, Hikaru just might make it. This anime is so unappriciated. It is not boring and it's a nice change from only watching anime's where there's blood and swords flying everywhere. Not that I'm against that. The characters are interesting and easy to love and relate to. It's a story about life and everyone can relate to that hopefully. And you don't have to know about Go in order to watch the anime or read the manga.moreless

Load More Reviews