Showtime Renews Homeland and Masters of Sex

By Tim Surette

Oct 22, 2013

In a surprising twist, it turns out that Homeland and Masters of Sex were working together THE WHOLE TIME! Both dramas have earned renewals from Showtime four episodes into their current seasons. For Homeland, that means Season 4. For Masters of Sex, it means a second date. Both orders are for 12 episodes, and unless Showtime decides to really shake things up, the series will air back-to-back next fall. 

Homeland's renewal comes at an important time for the show, which has been pretty lame in Season 3 thanks to a lot of focus on Dana Brody instead of, you know, terrorists and stuff. But Showtime had no choice but to renew Homeland now as a way to show its viewers that it has confidence in the series, because the most recent episode's surprise ending divided the entire country! Personally, I hated it—and I said as much with strong language in my review. However, given the current state of Showtime's original programming and Homeland being the network's highest-rated show by far, a renewal was never in doubt. Keeping the series compelling is another matter.

As for Masters of Sex, that renewal isn't much of a shock either. The period piece is based on the late-'50s/early-'60s sex studies of William Masters and Virginia Johnson, who broke social norms and brought the science of getting it on to the forefront of medical research, and many consider it to be the best new drama of the fall. Showtime won't mind giving it a few seasons to build its audience. 

• Comments (58)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • geoffmaze Oct 30, 2013

Renewal of Homeland...Hmmm.. I'd love for that announcement to come with a soon to be announced statement that S4 or at most 5 is the end of the series. I loved S1, I thought S2 (despite some suspension of belief on a number of occasions) was good as well. S3 really just got started at the end of ep.4 of a 12 ep. season. First 3.99 eps were pretty boring really.
    The point of all my babbling is that I'm nervous. While I've liked this show and I think it could continue as a GOOD show, I don't have much faith in Showtime.
    Showtime milked the shit out of Dexter, a show that for 4 seasons was pretty great and a show that just went downhill from there. So downhill that I'd say its final season was the worst season of television of any series that made it more than one full season..It was terrible!
    Prove me wrong Showtime, but methinks you ain't in it for the artisitic advancement of the medium but in it for how many $$$$$$ you can rake in..

• MarlboroMagpi Oct 23, 2013

Master of Sex should be the new star. It could do what sex and the city did for HBO if it was marketed properly !

• Kaptenmjau Oct 23, 2013

Cool that the Dana show aka Homeland got renewd

• MikeUK123 Oct 23, 2013

Can't say I really understand the renewal of Homeland. It seems a shame that the great story of the first season (which as many others have said should probably have been the last) will get lost in a mess of dragged-out sub-plots.

Season 3 has not been great, but season 2 was not either. The story clearly was not enough for the season (I'm not even sure what the story was as everything of interest was in the last few episodes.

• wudntulik2know Oct 23, 2013

Can't say I really understand the renewal of Homeland.

Money.

Oh, and money.

Oh, and some more money.

OH, and some MORE money.

Ars gratia argentum.

• geoffmaze Oct 30, 2013

I don't see how you could possibly be so cynical about Showtime's motivations. I mean really, name me ONE Showtime drama you think was milked for money!??? LOL

• MikeUK123 Oct 26, 2013

It won't make money long-term for the channel if people get tired of it and change channel

• hurtlocker10 Oct 23, 2013

"Lame"? "Hated it"? Looks like it's time for my daily post:

Shut up world, Homeland rules <3

• wudntulik2know Oct 23, 2013

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh, you're serious.

So sad and pathetic.

• hurtlocker10 Oct 23, 2013

Shush. Let me be a fanboy.

• Mercedes_Cancun Oct 23, 2013

Masters of sex is great! I really enjoy every episode and not for the sex part

• Carla-Wexler Oct 23, 2013

Oh please, you're not fooling anyone. You horny bitch ;)

• Mercedes_Cancun Oct 23, 2013

ROFL! Bottom line: I really enjoy the sex... I mean the show :D

• Fire_Nation Oct 23, 2013

Masters of Sex is a great show, and it has Lizzy Caplan. Yep, she's awesome.

• mad-pac Oct 23, 2013

It was all part of Saul's plan to get the show renewed. What we need now is a Dana Brody spinoff, which I wouldn't watch, of course, but then the Brodys (except Brody Sr.) would leave Homeland and we would stay with the part that matters.

• sleepy-sonic Oct 23, 2013

Dana's spinoff should be on The CW :)

• No1Slayerette Oct 23, 2013

Well I still think Homeland is a great show. This season had a slow start, yes, but after the last episode I'm enthralled all over again. Kudos to the writers for continuing to reinvent the show.

I'm yet to watch Masters of Sex. I have all the episodes, but Sunday is such a busy night of television (Boardwalk Empire, The Walking Dead, Revenge, and they're all in addition to Homeland). By the time I've finished watching all those it's Tuesday, and there's a whole bunch of other shows for me to watch. I might have to start marathons my it on the weekends.

• MarlboroMagpi Oct 23, 2013

Master of sex is good !

• JackSaat Oct 23, 2013

Happy that Homeland coming back again!

• See More Comments (19)