Hostages Episode 13: Fight or Flight

By ElisaDiaz

Dec 17, 2013

This episode starts with Duncan taking his own wife “hostage” after she found out about the assasination plot last week. This is one of those times when the show could have taken the time to explain to Nina directly the situation as it is, with all its dangers, instead of dragging the situation around longer than necessary, until Kramer had time to come by an explain a bit more to her. Obviously not enough, since she ended up escaping the house, with Sawyer, and being followed by both the FBI and NSA. And now she is being held by Colonel Blair.

In the meantime, Archer has decided to get rid of Sandrine. But first they wanted to find out what her plan was to kill them (as loose ends for the assasination plot). We don't know if Sandrine had any intetion to let the bombs off or not to kill her mates. She ended up taking them out, although it is not very clear if this is something that she agreed with Kramer or if Kramer himself did it. But the bombs showed up back in a box. Unfortunately, towards the end of the episode, Archer found that box!

poll

Last week the Sanders talked and realized that killing the President to save Duncan's wife maybe wasn't such a good idea from a doctor ethics perspective after all. So in this episode, they exposed their new plan to Duncan. They offered to help with Nina's problem (to obtain the needed blood from the President) in exchange for Duncan's protection for their children. So now there are two new side plans in place, on top of everything else. On one hand, Ellen trying to find a way to get the President's blood out of the hospital, and involving the First Lady on it. And on the other hand, there is Duncan and his father in law making plans to save the Sanders and give them new lives and identities, apparently.

As a first step to the new plans, Duncan gathers the family together in the living room and makes a scene in front of Sandrine and Archer, so that it looks like Jake has been killed in the struggle. They kept us hanging for a few seconds there about his life, although, really, one would have expected a bit more of a reaction from the mother at least? Then Duncan and Kramer took the totally healthy boy into hiding. Later we will see Morgan and her father meeting with some guy that handed a huge envelope to them, apparently containing all the docs for their future new lives.

poll

Duncan seems to have hired some criminals to make another assasination attempt against the President, but it seems to be only a diversion for the secret services to be distracted while it all happens at the hospital.

And finally, the Vicepresident (who is smarter than he looked at the beginning) meets the Colonel and unveals that the plan is for Vanessa to run for President, not the Colonel, as she has been telling him. So now that he is aware, we have two groups of big bads. How will this affect the killing the President plot? Will one of them turn on the other one?

It appears we only have a double episode left, as a finale, by January 6th. How are you seeing this so far?

poll

poll

• Comments (49)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • _Fire_Ice Apr 19, 2014

Please no not another season. I can see where they could go with it, the more political route, but than you would have to drop basically the entire cast. I don't think I could stand any more of the Sanders family, at least not the dad. Aside from Duncan, the general guy and his psycho political girlfriend, they can dump the rest of the cast please. Honestly, I would prefer the whole show to be done, there is no need to continue to drag this out, they should have just made it a mini-series with this premise.

• DesertWolf Dec 18, 2013

This show will go to second season I think because there are some problems and some hidden issues in the White House need to be revile and I think the next season will show all that, I really like this show the story is very tide... Nice one

• MunirRahool Dec 18, 2013

I wasn't watching this series until last week. I liked it and marathon to this week's episode in 2 or 3 days.

This story shouldn't stretch long, but I have a feeling it will go to second season. The concept might be change. It will be interesting to see the next group of hostages. Doctor's family will be a part of the plan, a d maybe will help hostaging next group.

I still say the series should be end with one season.

• erweetiran1 Dec 17, 2013

Dont understand why people say it is a slow pace Series. to me alot is of realistic things are happening in every episode and its like we are are experiencing the problematic developments with the characters, does nit feel they are making things up as they go along it feels like genuine complications arrising and how they cooe with it. Finally something good on tv to watch

• Corinthians Dec 19, 2013

I agree with with you, and I think what you may mean by realistic is the overwhelming psychological aspect of it. The way the characters interact with one another and the way they approach the dilemmas that they're confronted with regularly. You may also be referring to the show's ability to tell a narrative without any of the over-the-top devices that many other shows tend to use. Don't let me put words in your mouth though. I love this show and I see plenty of wiggle room for some stories to end and for new stories to develop and play out in a second season.

• ElisaDiaz Dec 17, 2013

In my opinion, a lot of things happen in every episode, but most of them are just stretching the story where it shouldn't be stretched. And that is annoying. All the episodes that we have seen could have been condensed in about 5 good episodes instead of what we got. I find it strange in your exposition that you use the world "realistic". You know that the show has been largely criticized for the many unrealistic scenarios and plot holes, and yet you chose that world. If I wanted to defend this show, I would focus on the actors and on specific dialogues, or eventually, in the way of raising moral or ethic concerns, or keeping a steady atmosphere that is very particular to this show. I can live with plot holes, but I grow impatient when the stories are stretched for no reason. In any case, I appreciate your input - I know that a lot of people like it and it's good to hear that point of view.

• erweetiran1 Jan 15, 2014

People say its unrealistic but what is unrealistic about it? They dont say. The fact that the show was basically going at 1 episode per day of their 14 and showing what is going on is great. If they just skipped some days it would have been dumb. Something happened which they did not plan for (president not dying) and no one really knew how to handle it and that is what made it so good. Everyone just wants action action action. But it was interesting to see how something so huge had so many loose ends to close and still keep it quite to kill the president. Sorry the show is not as realistic as vampire diaries.

• _Fire_Ice Apr 19, 2014

The only 2 really unrealistic things I found that jumped out to me and really bothered me for some reason, was the genetic stuff with Nina and the whole situation with the dad going to the detective and than he backs out because the grandfather showed up pretending to be his lawyer. That grandfather had already picked up his own son, the suspect, now he was back with Brian and talked him out of saying something, and that wasn't suspicious at all, especially considering how dedicated the detective was to the case at the beginning. The thing with Nina and how the President allegedly has this rare genetic thing, yet the mother has it too. I don't know little things like that seemed unrealistic and annoyed me for some reason, but I am willing to let them slide, I can ignore the fact that Dr. Sander's seems to be doing fuck all at he job for the past week but walk around suspiciously, but I really can't stand the characters themselves. A cheating husband, a wife that stays with a cheating husband, And the kiss between Ellen and Duncan, just things like that annoyed the hell out of me.

• ElisaDiaz Jan 15, 2014

It is as unrealistic as TVD, unfortunately, because there are no vampires in this show to justify so many leaps of faith.

• ABCRobbieB Dec 18, 2013

Totally agree, stretched beyond belief and very unrealistic. I do think that they've just made it up as they went along.

I've said this a few times on this board but was is the problem with having a 1 season gripping drama that's plausible and constistent?

They seem to do the pilot, if they get a load of viewers they stretch it out for a number of seasons and it ends up being so full of holes that it sinks...... like Lost, Fringe and many others.

• _Fire_Ice Apr 19, 2014

I could care less about how realistic a show is, as long as it doesn't insult my intelligence too much. What I can't stand is characters I hate. If I can't get behind the main character, or characters it completely ruins the show. My problem is I just don't like really any of them except Duncan, and even him only about 80% of the time and based on the last episode I watched he has steadily been going down in my books.

• erweetiran1 Mar 09, 2014

Ok what was unrealistic about it?

• ElisaDiaz Mar 09, 2014

who's talking about unrealistic? I'm glad you found it so documentary, now you just have to go and "analyze" why everybody else didn't by yourself. I just don't think you want to.

It was mot stretched at all. If they did not explained in detail what happened every day of the 14 days the whole story would have failed. This show was not about killing a president but about how quickly things can go wrong and out of control and the issues that arise with that. The killing if the president was secondary to the whole story. The actual characters and their journey was the story

• ElisaDiaz Jan 15, 2014

At some point you are going to have to admit that the show has many problems. It is ok to like shows with problems, but at least you have to acknowledge them. I have been watching, following, and even writing about this show for the whole season, but there are things that cannot be justified. It is better if you point out the positive that if you try to present this show as something that it is not.

• ElisaDiaz Dec 18, 2013

I would also prefer shorter stories that are better produced, but it must be more expensive to get them done than repeating the same story in several seasons. The good news is that the trend seems to be just that: shorter seasons with better content.

For Hostages, I wouldn't go as far as you go in your statements. It is not so bad for me, but it is not good neither.

• ElisaDiaz Mar 09, 2014

You liked it, other people didn't. You can go an "analyze" how every one watched it,, I rather just count and keep going. Any news if this has been renewed. given the success?

• erweetiran1 Mar 09, 2014

The reason I dont acknowledge the problems is because I did not watch the show And analysed it. I watched ot and enjoyed it for what it was and that made it an enjoyable experience to me

Thought the character development was and how they changed was excellent. Would not want a season two. The point of hostages is over. The journey of thinking you had everthing planned and then realising plams have changed and how the coped with that. Problem is people just want action action action

• Syrinx2 Dec 17, 2013

I think the show is using the false pretenses approach on too many occasions.
    Oh - he died! Wait... he's alive!

Good recap, Ellie!

With a decent finale we won't be needing a following season.
    Peace!

• ElisaDiaz Dec 17, 2013

You have been reading more about this, I think - are there any rumours of season finale being the end of the story?

• Syrinx2 Dec 17, 2013

Scratch that.
    Just checked the Israeli original. And..it seems they have a Season 2 in development! (From Ace Entertainment, France)
    But, in the end it's always up to the network, right?

Hostages Genre: Thriller/Action
    Format: 10x52'
    Production:
    Armozat Formats
    Season 2 in development

Format produced by Jerry Bruckheimer & Warner Bros. for CBS

Awards: Selected at the FIPA 2014 Cast: Ayelet Zurer (Man of Steel, Angels & Demons, Munich)
    Yair Lotan (Homeland, CSI, 24, Generation Kill)
    Synopsis: 'Hostages' is an intense psychological crime-thriller that follows a renowned surgeon about to perform a routine operation on the President. But there is nothing routine about it when her family is taken hostage and she is ordered to sabotage the procedure and kill the President – or her family will die.
    As we follow her battle to save both her family and the president, we are taken on a journey where all are fighting for survival...

• Syrinx2 Dec 17, 2013

On July 29th:
    “This is not a miniseries for us,” executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer confirmed. “We’re doing 15 [episodes] and we’re hoping to get not only two seasons, but hopefully a lot more.”
    tvline

I remember when this article first came out, and I would submit that the producers had probably already gotten CBS to agree to at least a 2-season commitment even before the first season aired.

This comment has been removed.

• ElisaDiaz Dec 17, 2013

I would hope, like you, that they would give this a proper ending - they have been filming late, I believe, so maybe they have an ending after all. Cross fingers. Because like you, I also think this is dead.

• Syrinx2 Dec 17, 2013

Nothing more than that CBS is starting Intelligence on Hostages' spot.
    So, I think this series is dead.
    But, if (and I hope he does) Duncan outwits his competition - he could star a show on his own. A tad faster paced, I'd add.

• MrToohip Dec 17, 2013

The best scene of the series so far was the fake shooting of Jake. i thought for sure he was dead. When he jumped out of the truck at the cabin, I went, "What?" If there were more scenes like that, I would like to see a second season of Hostages. However, honestly, I'm still not sure.

The scene with Ellen and The First Lady was good, too.