CBS Doesn't Want to Know How I Met Your Dad (Thank Goodness)

By Kaitlin Thomas

May 14, 2014

You see, kids, when a woman loves a man, it's not quite the same thing as say, a network loving a pilot. CBS has officially decided NOT to move forward with Carter Bays and Craig Thomas's How I Met Your Mother spin-off How I Met Your Dad, and that sound you hear is me crying because now I'll have to find a new outlet for HIMYM series finale jokes! Just kidding, I'll be slipping those in as often as possible for as long as I can manage. However, I'm admittedly pretty excited about this news, because now I don't have to throw away my TV. Thanks, CBS! 

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the network had until Wednesday (that's today) to rule on HIMYD, which starred Greta Gerwig as the female equivalent of Ted Mosby. Ultimately, the decision came down to the fact that CBS loved the brand but wanted to redo the pilot. Network programming boss Nina Tassler told reporters this morning that "re-piloting was in the best interest of protecting the creative elements of the show." Unfortunately, creators Bays and Thomas didn't see it that way and were all, "Oh hell no, lady. This is our poorly made vision and we will stick to it for nine years and not change a thing even if the character developments warrant it!" 

Okay, fine, I may have taken some liberties/entirely fabricated that second quote, but the point is, Bays and Thomas weren't particularly open to the idea of a reshoot. I have no idea what they actually said, but I support their commitment to standing by their work, just like they did when the HIMYM finale was being hotly debated by critics and fans in March. In today's world, it's difficult to not take to heart what a bunch of wackadoodles on the internet are saying about you, but Bays and Thomas are two courageous men who boldly put their choices out into the world and accept them for what they are. Kudos to them.

It's also worth noting that How I Met Your Dad is the second proposed spin-off of a long-running series to not be picked up this development season, as The CW opted not to move forward with Supernatural: Bloodlines. It's easy to make a connection between the two projects even without having seen the HIMYD pilot, because both would-be spin-offs featured entirely new casts and would've been wholly unconnected to their parent shows. HIMYM was able to stave off execution for so many years because of its unique format and because fans wanted to be friends with Ted, Marshall, Lily, Robin, and Barney. The same can be said about the success of Supernatural—that series works because fans love Sam and Dean. People don't want to see a spin-off where the characters they're invested in don't appear.

E! Online is reporting that the How I Met Your Dad pilot will be shopped to other networks now that CBS decided against ordering it. As a long-time fan of How I Met Your Mother, not to mention a frequent champion of the show's final season (the series finale aside), I do think it's time we let this spin-off idea fade from our collective memories. CBS passing on it was in the network's best interest, and other networks would be wise to pass as well. HIMYM's finale left a bitter taste in the mouths of many fans, and although the success of a spin-off doesn't rest solely on the viewership of the mothership (or in this case, the Mothership—yuk yuk yuk), it's a very big part of the foundation. HIMYM ran for nine years, but many fans had closed their tabs and gone home by the time Ted Blue French-Horned Robin again. To put it another way: The How I Met Your Dad pilot is the living embodiment of Ted's mother's "Nothing good happens after 2am" rule. Sorry, kids.

Are you still interested in the idea of How I Met Your Dad?

Full disclosure: TV.com is owned by CBS.

• Comments (70)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • AndreaMcCooey May 15, 2014

"Oh hell no, lady. This is our poorly made vision and we will stick to it for nine years and not change a thing even if the character developments warrant it!"
    Yup.

• filmstu2005 May 15, 2014

Reminds of that god-awful spin-off to That 70's show...."That 80's Show."

Ugh.

• Ossie May 15, 2014

I don't understand all the negativety about something we never saw. It's judging a book by its cover.

• stanking May 15, 2014

It's not judging a book by its cover. It's judging a book based on the author's prior work: a trilogy that dragged on into 5 books with a crappy ending.

• AshEngel May 15, 2014

Oh thank god I couldn't stand HIMYM and I'm sure as hell did not want to see the same damn thing again.

• jj999 May 16, 2014

Comments like this are extremely annoying. You act like people are forcing you to watch it. If you don't like the show, then don't watch it! Clearly you watched HIMYM, yet you say you could't stand it. It makes you sound stupid for complaining.

• tamaabi May 14, 2014

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

• siroliceo May 14, 2014

THANK GOD

• ionee24 May 14, 2014

Its not like I was planning on watching it anyway...some things just can't be done twice: OUaT in Wonderland and How I Met your Dad among them.

• scyfymum2 May 14, 2014

Common sense prevails for a change!

• dolphin_intern May 14, 2014

Oh thank God!!! Seriously one of the stupidest ideas for a spin off. Now freaking I know this really wasn't a spin off per-se but on the other hand SyFy should have made BSG: Blood and Chrome into a series man that thing was awesome for a web series!

• anngel421 May 14, 2014

I would have been 5 years ago. I would have been if they somehow made it concurrent shows and you could see what the mother we met oh so briefly was doing while ted was being an idiot. or if it was still a new cast maybe have overlapping story lines. Now? Im glad the ideas dead.

• See More Comments (27)