Countdown to How I Met Your Mother's Series Finale: The Best of Lily Aldrin

By Kaitlin Thomas

Mar 26, 2014

Even though How I Met Your Mother is technically the story of Ted Mosby and how he first encountered the woman who bore his children, without Marshall, Lily, Barney, and Robin as supporting players, the series would simply be a collection of Ted's most pretentious moments, interspersed with sweet romantic gestures toward all the wrong women. Without Robin to tell him when he's being a douche, or without Barney roping him into harebrained schemes, who knows how Ted's life might've turned out! Each of How I Met Your Mother's core characters has played a pivotal role not only in Ted's life, but in the series overall. So as the end of the show inches closer, we've decided to relive some their funniest and most memorable moments. Yesterday we brought you the best of Marshall, and today we're honoring his better half! 

Lily Aldrin, played by Alyson Hannigan, is probably the most grounded of How I Met Your Mother's characters, which isn't saying very much. While she's often been the one to keep Marshall, Ted, Barney, and even Robin in line, she too has gone off the deep end herself from time to time *cough* shoplifting habit *cough*. But Lily's greatest legacy on the show is that she's always been a woman, a wife, a mother, and a genuinely funny person, all at the same time. Lily and Marshall's marriage transcends most TV relationships because they've been a couple since the beginning of the series. The pair encountered a few speed bumps on the road to tying the knot, but How I Met Your Mother has always allowed them to exist outside the tropes of television coupledom. And Lily has never just been Marshall's girlfriend, fiancée, or wife; she's also been a genuine friend to Ted and Barney, which is oddly refreshing. Some of her greatest moments have even involved Robin, who's the anti-Lily in so many ways. But my favorite Lily-centric moments from the last nine years have to be some of those listed below. Take a look, then share your own in the comments!

That time she pretended to be Barney's wife

Those times she ragged on Ted, especially about his fanny pack

All those times she spoke the truth

Revertigo Lily

That time she stalked Chloe in "Swarley" 

"Wait, so you were the hunchback with the limp?"

That time she proved her excellent taste in movies

(via)

Eyepatch Lily

But most importantly, her dedication to fashionable footwear

thekaitling:list:whos-your-favorite-himym-character/

What's on YOUR list of favorite Lily moments?

PREVIOUSLY:

– HIMYM: The Best of Marshall Eriksen

• Comments (46)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Bloodangel Mar 31, 2014

The 'Your Dead To Me Look', Aldrin Justice, and 'Where's the Poop'

• CharmedOneP391 Mar 31, 2014

- Aldrin Justice
    - (After Ted didn't kiss Robin in the Pilot) - "Oh Ted that is so sweet... so you chickened out like a little bitch?"
    - Always trying to make out with Robin. "Cuz that would be so..stupid."
    - Her always trying to make Barney a better person.
    - Her protectiveness over Ted, even though it got creepy. (the break ups)
    - "Yeah, I can't hang out with you anymore." *And we didn't see Lily for 4 weeks*
    - Marshpillow
    - The fact that she was played by Alyson Hannigan. I automatically loved her. I don't think there could be a character played by Hannigan that I couldn't like. But yeah..Lilly was cool..even when she wasn't that funny.

• GreatHomerJay Mar 29, 2014

One of the best things about Lily is her completely open and candid relationship with Marshall and how the two of them are just the ultimate couple tag team. Seriously guys. How many of you wouldn't love to have your woman back you up like Lily does with Marshall?

I'm usually not into the small, skinny girls, but if I was single and ran into a real world Lily who was also single, her completely cool personality would have me hooked instantly!

• ChechaKV Mar 28, 2014

Where's the poop??

• Meg_z10 Mar 28, 2014

Can't forget "Aldrin Justice!"

• IndianaMom Mar 27, 2014

I've never been a big fan of Lily. Thank goodness she's got Marshall to offset her selfish, manipulative side.

• Cricketman_au Mar 27, 2014

Lily's doppelganger was by far the best too. Plus lily trying to be a stripper was funny

• Cricketman_au Mar 27, 2014

Also, her & Marshall in "Brunch" had the best storyline

• adilaakbar Mar 26, 2014

when lilly made a joke, marshall always high-five lilly but not always for the other way

• blackmage8472 Mar 26, 2014

The worst part of HIMYM ending is the lack of Alyson Hannigan on TV. Lily is on my top 5 favorite characters of all time.

• thekaitling Mar 27, 2014

Alyson Hannigan is currently starring in another CBS comedy pilot, so depending on how that goes, she might not be gone for long.

• JT_Kirk Mar 26, 2014

Wow, I had forgotten that Lily used to be funny and interesting and had better hairstyles. What happened? Seems like Lily became the one the writers forgot about.

• JT_Kirk Mar 26, 2014

You know what it might be? They stopped developing her as a character too early, so she devolved into just catch phrases and cliches.

• See More Comments (16)