How I Met Your Dad Casting: Meet the Female Ted Mosby!

By Kaitlin Thomas

Feb 12, 2014

Last week we introduced you to the five primary characters of CBS's How I Met Your Dad, the spin-off pilot of the network's long-running comedy How I Met Your Mother. And now we know who's going to play the most important one! Golden Globe-nominated indie actress and filmmaker Greta Gerwig has landed the lead role of Sally—the Ted Mosby of the series—who is described as being a "female Peter Pan." 

There's been a lot of OMGWTFBBQ going around in the wake of Gerwig's casting, with many people claiming that she's sold out. Sorry, hipsters, but you need to get over it! If Gerwig wants to star in the pilot of a spin-off of an established sitcom, then why shouldn't she? I'm not familiar with Gerwig's film resume, so I'm pretty neutral on her casting. The only question I really have isn't whether or not Gerwig has sold out, but whether or not she's right for the part itself. If she can properly convey Sally's messiness and restlessness, then does her past work really matter?

Need I remind you that when Neil Patrick Harris was cast as Barney Stinson, the common response was, "Doogie Howser? As a ladies man?" And look at the humor and emotional depth he's brought to the role over the course of nine seasons. And if you're worried that Gerwig will stop making independent movies, please remember that Josh Radnor—her male counterpart—has written and starred in several during his breaks from How I Met Your Mother. But if you're simply worried that the rest of the world will know one of your secrets, now would be the time to grow up. 

The fact that Gerwig isn't very well known to most of the America viewing public actually works in her favor here. Despite there being a general air of disapproval regarding CBS's creation of a How I Met Your Mother spin-off—including from your yours truly—the original show has lasted nine seasons and made its network quite a bit of money. It doesn't matter if HIMYM fans believe that the quality of the series has suffered in recent years; the spin-off is still a huge opportunity for CBS. Casting a high-profile, well known actress in the lead role could have resulted in unrealistically high expectations. With Gerwig at the center of How I Met Your Dad, the new show's writers will have more of an opportunity to tell the story they want to tell. According to TV Line, Gerwig will also be a producer and occasional a writer on How I Met Your Dad if the project is picked up to series, so fans of her work should be less focused on whether or not she's selling out, and more about what she can bring to the table here. If she's working behind the scenes as well as in front of the camera, maybe we should all start looking at this spin-off in a new light.

thekaitling:list:what-do-you-think-of-greta-gerwigs-casting/

• Comments (72)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Josiahcro Feb 20, 2014

if this happens imma be so pissed

• Romano338 Feb 15, 2014

Don't they think they squeezed the concept enough already? They barely can do 9 seasons and something around 6 or 7 seasons of good level, so maybe they should think about stopping the madness...

• houbou Feb 13, 2014

I'll give it a try.. never know..

• efonsecajr Feb 13, 2014

I care more about the gum that gets stuck on people's shoes than I do about HIMYD.

• tvfanboy Feb 13, 2014

My only concern is that her indie sensibilities might result in a show high in art but low in mass appeal.

• stanthekaddy Feb 13, 2014

I'll watch this show if it hits 8 seasons

• GarthDanicich Feb 13, 2014

I think she's great. My worry is that this is going to be some horrible hipster marriage of The New Girl and HIMYM.

Actually I'm worried. I know that is exactly what it's going to be. As a result, I will not be watching it. My only hope is that it gets canceled so that she can go back to making not-crap.

• stickyromance Feb 13, 2014

Love her in Frances Ha which was also a very good movie.
    I have no doubt she'll get the messy and restless part right seeing how good she did in this movie !

• jerky_666 Feb 13, 2014

She's not smiling because no one is going to watch that turd (or her show).

• ardie8 Feb 13, 2014

I just don't know about her or the show

• See More Comments (25)