News Briefs: How I Met Your Mother's Complete Series DVD Set Will Include an Alternate Ending

By Kaitlin Thomas

Apr 05, 2014

HOW I MESSED UP HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER

... How I Met Your Mother co-creator Carter Bays announced on Twitter today that he and Craig  Thomas considered two different endings for the series, and that the one they didn't use will be included with the complete series DVD box set. It doesn't include additional footage, it's just edited differently. And I'd guess that it'll probably be more along the lines of the fan-edited ending that was floating around the web earlier this week. However, if the Mother doesn't die in the alternate ending, there's going to be a number of things that don't make sense in retrospect. Bays also said, "We chose the ending we chose and we stand by it. But we loved the other version too." This is a curious development, because if they truly stand by their choice, why do they feel the need to release an alternate ending? Was this always the plan, or is it a last-ditch effort to placate all the fans who felt slighted by "Last Forever"? I guess we'll never know! [Carter Bays' Twitter]

BUSINESS TIME

... ABC has moved up the summer premiere of Rookie Blue. Instead of debuting as planned July 17, the show's fifth season will kick off on June 19 at 9pm. The network has also delayed the premiere of The Quest until July 31 at 8pm; the new fantasy reality series was originally supposed to premiere on June 19. [ABC via press release]

... In addition to the scheduling changes mentioned above, ABC has also announced the premiere date for its reality series Sing Your Face Off, hosted by John Barrowman (Arrow, Torchwood). The talent competition series features celebrities who are "transformed and trained to perform as a legendary musical icon." The network will air back-to-back episodes from 9pm to 11pm every Saturday night beginning May 31, following new episodes of Bet On Your Baby at 8pm. [ABC via press release]

... Syfy has ordered 13 episodes of the new time-travel series 12 Monkeys. The drama, set to premiere in January 2015, is based on the 1995 film directed by Terry Gilliam, and stars Aaron Stanford (Nikita), Amanda Schull (Suits), Noah Bean (Nikita), and Kirk Acevedo (Fringe). Stanford plays a trime-traveler from a post-apocalyptic future who returns to the present day on a mission to destroy a deadly plague that will eventually wipe out the planet. [Syfy via press release]

... What's that old saying? You know, the one about how the show isn't over until... oh right, the the show isn't over until Fox cuts your season episode order by two because your ratings are abysmal. Glee's ratings are dipping to a number that's considered phenomenal for The CW, but the equivalent of a toilet emoji for the other broadcast networks, so Season 5 will now be two episodes shorter than originally planned. The series' reduced episode order is also a result of the production hiatus the series took in the aftermath of Cory Monteith's death last summer. But there's no hiding the fact that the show isn't what it used to be, promising move to New York notwithstanding. If Fox hadn't already ordered a sixth season, I think the show would be filming a series finale instead of a season finale. [THR]

... Homeland Season 4 will film in Cape Town, South Africa and be set in the Middle East. This makes sense, given the ending of Season 3, which saw Carrie (Claire Danes) taking a job in Istanbul. [Showtime via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... DB Woodside (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 24) and Brendan Hines (Betrayal) are both joining USA's Suits for multi-episode arcs in Season 4. Woodside will play Jeff Malone, a financial expert and former SEC prosecutor with a personal interest in Pearson Specter. Hines will play Logan Sanders, a rich boy who's used to getting what he wants because his daddy was a millionaire. He wants to prove himself by making a big acquisition that will create a conflict between Harvey and Mike. [USA via press release]

• Comments (86)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • PsicNina Jun 03, 2014

They already fed me sour garbage, now they wanna sweeten my mouth? No can dosville, baby doll!

• tartar Apr 12, 2014

himym, you should have an alternate season 9 instead!

• zampognaro Apr 08, 2014

Nice try himym ... do u really think I will buy your dvd set after u insulted me with that whole last season???

• barnstormer91 Apr 08, 2014

Here's an alternate happy ending to the HIMYM finale. Some fans were disappointed by the finale so hopefully this is more satisfying.

https://vimeo.com/90920106gm

• hockeyrick Apr 07, 2014

Borrowman, you can do better than ANOTHER so-called reality based singing competition, we need this like a 3rd ball!

• DavidKnowles0 Apr 06, 2014

How I met your mother alternative ending could be a marketing ploy to sale more dvd set boxes.

• terminaltrip421 Apr 06, 2014

are the poor glee rating based on people tuning in and then shutting off the newest glee episode? because If not I would that that glee's changes wouldn't be reflected in rating until the next episode where I expect a drop in turnout. and entire episode with showtunes probably isn't the biggest crowd pleaser? not the mention the loss of some serious talent in the cast.

• TatraFan Apr 06, 2014

If you want to be absolutely accurate The 12 Monkeys is based on Chris Marker's short film constructed out of still photographs primarily with only 30 seconds of actual 35mm film footage in it called "La Jetee"...

Neither Gilliam nor SyFy will do this brilliant short film justice. Chris Marker is one of my favorite filmmakers but his films are not at all translatable to pop-culture aesthetics...

Oh and Chris Marker was also a philosopher-- Because philosophers are the best filmmakers bar none! Hence the reason Terrence Malick is such a great filmmaker.

• Sanity_Bleeds Apr 06, 2014

NOO!!! John Barrowman, you're so much better than this! Don't do it!! On a side note though, 12 Monkeys doesn't sound half bad. I am of course basing that entire belief solely on the casting news and nothing else though.

• jdn1983 Apr 06, 2014

It's a god The title of the show was "How I Met Your Mother" it was the story of Ted's journey to meeting the love of his life and they completely fucked it up.

What pisses me off more than anything are the articles trying to justify this ridiculous ending and now to top it all off you have these bastard creators telling us they stand by their decision but there is an alternative.

Its fucking annoying is what it is. Guess it teaches whenever there is a series finale, always have low expectations.

• degausser1 Apr 06, 2014

I thought I DID go into it with low expectations. They apparently weren't low enough.

• See More Comments (46)