How I Met Your Mother "Daisy" Review: Everything's Coming Up Roses

By Kaitlin Thomas

Mar 11, 2014

How I Met Your Mother S09E20 : "Daisy"

With only four episodes left before How I Met Your Mother signs off for good, time is running out for the writers to tie up dangling plot threads from previous episodes. The events surrounding Lily's abrupt change of heart regarding the move to Rome, for instance, could not go unexplained, which is why with four hours until the wedding, Marshall was recruiting Ted and Barney on a mission to find out what exactly happened that night. Or as Barney put it, they were going to "teach someone some manners."

The man in question was none other than Lily's boss the Captain, which felt like a bit of a stretch. Of course the series wanted to find a way to bring back both Kyle MacLachlan and Laura Bell Bundy—the pairing of the Captain with BoatsBoatsBoats is actually perfect—but their presence was a stretch none the less. The end result of "Daisy," however, made this entire storyline, however implausible, a happy occasion. 

From the moment Lily exited the 24-hour mini-mart at the beginning of the episode, I wondered if she was pregnant, or at the very least if she thought she was pregnant. If she thought she was, she wouldn't be consuming alcohol, and it would explain why she kept drinking Linus' never-ending parade of drinks and never getting drunk, a topic often discussed in the comments of these reviews over the course of the season. Her middle of the night run to the convenience store for a pregnancy test was also reminiscent of another time in the show's history when Lily thought she was pregnant. During the episode "Belly Full of Turkey" in HIMYM's first season, Lily feared she was pregnant while on a trip to Minnesota to visit Marshall's family. She eventually panicked, purchased a pregnancy test from a convenience store, and ended up being arrested for public urination as she attempted to take the test in the alley behind the store. Despite having eight seasons worth of story in between them, the situations were similar enough to trigger the memory in my mind.

Remembering all of this, I was let down when Ted—being classic douchey Ted—claimed to have solved the mystery of what Lily was doing in the Captain's powder room only to have him declare her a smoker. Ted's recounting of what transpired was a nice way to work in flashbacks to seemingly unimportant events from earlier this season, as well as make a joke about how much had actually transpired since the gang arrived in Farhampton all those episodes ago. To his credit, Ted was right about everything. He was able to discern that there was a secret Lily was keeping and where to look for the evidence to prove his theory, but he really Tedded the conclusion, because Lily wasn't smoking again, she was pregnant. And when Marshall pulled that pee stick out of the daisy I did a silent fist bump to my empty living room. Kaitlin: 1, Ted: 0.

This explains why Lily was so quick to change her mind about Rome, and why Marshall was equally quick to reverse that decision. To be honest, it didn't matter what they chose to do, because we already know that Marshall eventually becomes a judge and the police commissioner of Gotham City, so in a way, it actually makes sense that they eventually end up in Italy, too. But it is a little upsetting to think the series made us sit through nearly an entire season of Lily and Marshall bickering about their future only to flip-flop on their decision several times throughout an already rocky season.

While Lily and Marshall—who've been the most steady couple throughout the series' nine seasons—were working things out, Robin, on the other hand, was beginning to have doubts about marrying Barney after her mother began recounting all the red flags in her own marriage to Robin's father. Every word out of her mouth could also be applied to Barney, which meant Robin was beginning to question whether or not she was doing the right thing. There's only one way this can conclude, and it sure as hell isn't with Robin realizing Ted is the man in her life that she can always count on, not after Ted finally let go of his dream of ending up with Robin. 

I knew this moment was coming, but I wasn't ready for it, especially not like this, which is why "Daisy," despite hitting nearly all the right emotional beats in regards to the Marshall and Lily storyline, was not as good as it should have been. With only three episodes remaining, now is hardly the time for the series to pull this sort of stunt. Robin has given no indication in recent years that she feels anything more than a deep love of the friendship variety for Ted, and to have the series rehash this from her perspective at this time is slightly out of character. Having Robin get cold feet is one thing, having her get cold feet because she thinks she might have made the wrong decision all those years ago is another. 

I understand the writers want Robin to let go of Ted just as he had to let go of her in order achieve perfect symmetry in this storyline, but their relationship has never been symmetrical. Ted has always been more in love with Robin than Robin has ever been in love with Ted. She made peace in her relationship with Ted awhile ago. For her to suddenly question everything is disrespectful to the character the show has spent the last nine years building, as well as to the audience who stuck around. Here's hoping the final three episodes of How I Met Your Mother rectify this mistake and go out on top. It would be a shame to have come this far and end up with anything less than perfect.

NOTES

– I'd never accuse How I Met Your Mother of being true to life, but there is no way in hell Robin would still be in a hockey jersey or that the guys would have the time to run over to the Captain's and punch him in the face with only four hours before the wedding. It's well established that Robin isn't that type of woman, but four hours is also not enough time to transform "Daisy" Robin into a woman with a perfect up do and perfect make up. Sorry, but I have to call shenanigans on this. I've been lenient with the timing of everything at this wedding up until this point, but I cannot let it slide any longer.

– Ranjit doesn't have a driver's license!

– Billy Zabka says he saw Lily at the convenience store while "out doing a little late-night dirt biking in the sand." "Naturally," Marshall responds.

– "That’s crazy, you’d never moor a dinghy in a lagoon." 

thekaitling:list:himym-what-did-you-think-of-daisy/

• Comments (160)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • tamaracassill Mar 22, 2014

This made me cry. I cry often while watching Tv if something sad happens but this is the first time out of happiness. i never realized how much i love those characters and im soo happy for them

• Ratisbona Mar 16, 2014

Since it was the chewing gum which brought Ted to his conclusion, I do not understand why she chewed it (which she hardly ever did) when she had no cigarette breath to hide. Did I miss something or was it just a coincidence?

• Dom-12 Mar 21, 2014

She puked on the way to the hotel..

• JoshuaFraim Mar 16, 2014

one thing i don't get and maybe this is because i missed something in that episode or later one, but didn't the doctor tell marshal that he can't have kids? and now he's gotten lilly pregnant twice in 2-3 years. that's pretty good for someone that 'will never have kids'

• MSmollins Mar 14, 2014

I know it's a TV show but the things they're all doing on the morning of the wedding are just so unrealistic and in no way plausible. I'm sure people panic on their wedding day and have doubts but Robin is over the top to be thinking she might be making a mistake four hours prior to her wedding.

I'm glad they at least made fun of themselves with all the ridiculous things happening within a weekend, but it doesn't make up for it. The beginning with Robin's mom and the airplane was full of palm-in-face moments, but luckily the Lily/Marshall arc saved it.

Lily/Marshall had the only interesting plot line as admittedly I was disappointed when I thought it was going to end in Lily being a smoker. I also thought of the Thanksgiving episode from season 1 w/ the Lily angle and I enjoyed the series of flashbacks of moments throughout this season as well as the swerve w/ Lily drinking since she would have been hammered by now but they explained it nicely.

Overall, so-so episode but if they continue this Robin/Ted B.S. in the last three episodes I'm gonna lose it.

• ClayMonts Mar 13, 2014

Ted: Lily never chews gum.
    Captain: What, never?
    Ted: Hardly ever.

Classic.

• Coodookie Mar 13, 2014

Just watched 'Trilogy Time' and was wondering, is that Daisy in Ted's arms towards the end?
    The scenes from 916 show Ted with Penny in 2017 getting into the cab with the Mother.
    The baby Ted is holding in Trilogy Time is in 2015 (show says 'For Real') and too much time will have passed for 2017 baby to have been the same?

• greasy82 Mar 14, 2014

The wedding takes place the same year as last season, 2013.

• Coodookie Mar 13, 2014

My bad. I meant 915 (Unpause)

• JemmaBeedie Mar 12, 2014

Four hours is a ridiculous amount of time. All she needs to do it put on her dress, have her hair put up and slap some lippy on. 20 minutes, tops. And they are literally in the wedding venue- no need to worry about traffic. If you are a woman who needs more than four hours to get ready, you need to smarten up.

• rachellacow5445 Mar 12, 2014

4 hrs ago and everyone stills needs to get ready ... makes me wonder how they were going to pull off those wedding photos even IF Barney miraculously came too!! LOL

Still love the show though

• rebel_devil Mar 12, 2014

Hated the episode. It was obvious right from the beginning that Lily was pregnant and they basically wasted an entire episode showing the main characters struggling to catch up.

I'm sorry but with only four episodes left, it really angered me that they devoted an entire half hour to something that is neither satisfying, clever, surprising or funny.

I know most people love Lily and Marshall but their stories are always my least favourite. And this was just the epitome of why that is. Their problems are never actually problems and the solutions to them are so cheesy and ham-handed in their attempt to get you to care about something that really has no bearing whatsoever on anything else that happens on the show.

They're obviously perfect for each other and would never do anything to blatantly hurt the other one so the writers can never find a proper reason for them to have any conflict. Which leaves the crap that was this episode and the whole Judge/Italy storyline in its entirety.

Choosing between someone becoming a judge and someone being -- I don't know -- someone who buys art for rich people? What an impossible decision to make! I know how to solve that dilemma. A BABY! Oh, and guess what they named her? Just like her mother, after a flower! I don't think they could've spelled it out any clearer for us if they tried. It was the most pandering, lowest-common-denominator, we-assume-the-audience-is-stupid-but-we-can-win-them-back-with-a-baby episode of television that I have ever been unfortunate enough to witness.

I just don't get it. I don't understand why anyone would be emotionally invested in that storyline. I don't understand how or why anyone would think that was fit for television. And I don't understand why they would do that with only four episodes of the show left.

Usually, when a network is nice enough to tell you that your show is cancelled so that you can give it a proper ending, most people make the most of it. Apparently, the writers of HIMYM chose not to go that route. It's frickin' ridiculous.

The next three episodes better be something special in order to wash the rancid, horrible taste of this televised abomination out of my mouth.

Also, I'm aware I'm grossly over-exaggerating. But that's how angry this episode made me.

• gnb_rules Mar 12, 2014

Thank God it wasn't smoking because I was about to have a fit about continuity about how Lily's 'last cigarette ever' was when she started trying to get pregnant (the first time). I had been pretty sure she was pregnant to start though, I just worried they were going to Ted up the storyline.

• gnb_rules Mar 12, 2014

Also I will be disappointed if they're rehashing the Ted/Robin from Robin's side because I agree with you -- in most ways she closed the door on the relationship many seasons ago, and if not then, then in season 7 when Ted says, "I think you know how you feel about me now and I don't think time's going to change that. Just tell me. Are you in love with me?" And she says no, without any trace of doubt. That being said, unless you know things we don't, isn't it all just speculation right now? It could easily be Barney she was referring to because he has been there for her. (He went with her to give away her dogs, he was shown having the most meaningful reaction and comfort for her infertility, he comforted her after Simon, he makes elaborate surprises for her, etc).

• See More Comments (63)