CBS Has Officially Ordered a How I Met Your Mother Spin-off Pilot Called How I Met Your Dad

By Kaitlin Thomas

Nov 16, 2013

I'm sorry. I apologize for everything. I don't know what I did, or how I did it, but I've angered some ancient deity somewhere, and now we're being forced to endure the real possibility of a How I Met Your Mother spin-off. 

CBS has given the project a pilot production commitment, which is still being referred to as How I Met Your Dad, because the network CBS isn't very creative with its show titles these days. HIMYM's co-creators, Craig Thomas and Carter Bays, are writing and executive-producing, along with Up All Night creator Emily Spivey. As previously announced, the show would be told from a female point-of-view, with a new group of friends presumably gathering around to hear a really long story about how some lady met her husband. 

As someone who's still watching and enjoying the ninth and final season of HIMYM, I think this is a terrible idea, because I also think many of my eight million fellow viewers are only still watching out of loyalty. HIMYM isn't a bad show, but it's not what it used to be, and I'm afraid CBS will find that the series' viewership won't stick around for a spin-off, especially one with all new characters. 

What do you think? Is CBS making a mistake ordering a HIMYM spin-off?

• Comments (224)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • loldude1 Feb 07, 2014

I think a spinoff is a horrible idea. Like many viewers, I have reluctantly watched the painful and terribly bad last season of HIMYM and when it finally is put out of its misery, I will not watch a spinoff. This last season has been sheer torture. Talk about a series that has gone on way past its prime! It is no longer funny and every ep I see I hope it is the last one. A spinoff? When I can't stand HIMYM anymore? Please, God, no.

• shawnvalez Jan 29, 2014

To be completly honest I know many people who LOVE the how I met your mother series and think it has gotten better than getting worse. the idea of a spin off has everyone over here over joyed and I think that CBS will make great bank on it. weather you like the show or not won't stop the Extremely popular show from slowing down. even if it is a spin off series. Everyone like to hear both sides of the story.

• hawkrendar Jan 27, 2014

Late reply, but I think that - If done right, this could be interesting.

That being said, It is a 2014/2015 series, and that means that it has a fair chance of being 'iffy' at best, but if it has the same crew from HIMYM behind it, and the actors (non gender-specific term) chosen are actually half-decent, it could turn out to be quite watchable, if not entertaining.

I would love to see HIMYD turn out to be great, and shut up all the sceptics and nay-sayers, and doomists, just to show them that they know bugger all about entertainment, or even people.

My belief is it won't happen, but, if you look back 9 years, people thought the same of HIMYM!

• nancydrew1995tv Dec 14, 2013

Oh, god. CBS is retarted!!

• katiefeehan Dec 02, 2013

8 Reasons HIMYM spin off is a terrible idea http://whatculture.com/tv/8-reasons-met-dad-terrible-idea.php

• AriSky Nov 19, 2013

...oh dear lord no. Please no. Why? I mean, I really wanted to get to know the mother, but I don't want it to be that way. It needs to be now, in Season 9, otherwise they're just going to be sloppy. Augh.

• TVBuff1234 Nov 18, 2013

You guys are way too skeptical! I think it would be interesting if they did it from Teds future wifes perspective, for nine years I've wondered what she has been doing while Ted hooks up with his random girls. That way they can have marshal or one of the others be in the show every few months showing how close they were to meeting her. We already know Ted was close to bumping into her many times and I think they could do something cool like that. They already know what worked and what didn't on HIMYM so they have potential to make this one even better.
    I'd like to see Ted finish his story and the kids are finally standing up to leave when his wife comes in and starts telling her story!
    There are a lot of spin-offs I really enjoyed over the years!

• Kleinke Nov 18, 2013

"only still watching out of loyalty" - yes, nailed it.

• efonsecajr Nov 18, 2013

Here's how it'll play out. Grab a chair (and maybe a snack).

Friday November 15, 2013, CBS orders "How I Met Your Dad (Father)" into production.

Friday November 15, 2013 - Sunday September 21, 2014, the collective world groans at how this entire debacle is an abomination. We curse CBS/HIMYM/CABLE PROVIDERS/NEIGHBORS for allowing this to happen. We say we'll never watch in 1 gajillion years and hope everyone involved gets the worse end of a slap bet.

Monday September 22, 2014 HIMYD debuts with its Pilot episode. Suddenly we decide to "check in" to see how the spawn of satan is doing. We end up staying for the entire ep. Twitter gets crushed, it buckles under the weight of "live tweets per minute" and the "Fail Whale" is spotted again.

Tuesday September 23, 2014, reports start trickling in that the Pilot episode of HIMYD obliterated previous TV ratings records in all demos. All. Demos.

Thursday September 25, 2014, CBS renews HIMYD for 10 seasons.

Friday, September 26, 2014. I stop watching TV entirely and move to ALASKA.

• MightyMad Nov 18, 2013

efonsecajr, you are a prophet.

• nataliavillalonsaez Nov 18, 2013

everybody saying hell no and then the will watch the show.. i thinf its not a go idea.. but.. ey! the know what the re doing!! they knwew it for 9 years!! the show is excelent.. if it is as bad as the text says it couldnt be on air for 9 excelent years.. the show is inteligent , excelente, simple.. is one of the best comedy of all the time..

• See More Comments (164)