How I Met Your Mother: Let's All Name Our 10 Favorite Episodes

By Kaitlin Thomas

Feb 19, 2014

With almost a full week left to go before How I Met Your Mother returns for the final leg of its nine-season marathon of love, now is the perfect time to look back at the first eight-and-a-half years of Ted's journey and fondly recall some of his and the gang's greatest adventures. So let's do exactly that! I've gone ahead and selected my 10 favorite episodes from the show's catalog of more than 200—some made the list because of their legendary antics, some earned a spot because they still make me laugh even after multiple viewings, and some weaseled their way in because they packed a a memorable gut punch. While they aren't necessarily HIMYM's all-time top 10 best episodes, they're the ones that stand out to me as classics I'll never grow tired of. But since my list is bound to look different than yours, go ahead and share your own in the comments!

"The Pineapple Incident" (Season 1, Episode 10)

Seriously, where did it come from? 

"Swarley" (Season 2, Episode 7)

"No more "Swarley!" No "Swarles!" No more "Swar-LAY!" No more "Swar—wait for it—LEE!" No more "Bob Swarleyman!" No more! No! It's over! Do you understand?"

"Slap Bet" (Season 2, Episode 9)

Not only did it introduce us to the Slap Bet, it also gave us our first glimpse of Robin Sparkles. Remember, the '80s didn't come to Canada 'til like, '93.

"Arrivederci, Fiero" (Season 2, Episode 17)

Featuring the introduction of zitch dog and Marshall's love for The Proclaimers' "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)." Also, we learned that Barney can't drive.

"The Bracket" (Season 3, Episode 14)

The gang's own version of March Madness.

"Intervention" (Season 4, Episode 4)

"I do not like that stupid hat, I want to beat it with a bat. Or maybe stab it with a fork, it makes you look like such a dork."

"Girls Vs. Suits" Season 5, Episode 12

Neil Patrick Harris singing about suits. I'm not sure this one needs any more explanation.

"Natural History" (Season 6, Episode 8)

From Robin and Barney touching all of the museum exhibits to Ted whispering "poo poo platter" across a crowded museum, this one sticks out as one of most immature—yet still hilarious—episodes of the entire series. Also: "Oh my God, you have a monocle! Is this real? Is this really happening? Good luck killing James Bond!"

"Symphony of Illumination" (Season 7, Episode 12)

Finding out at the end of the episode that Robin couldn't have children was one of the worst/best gut punches HIMYM ever threw. Completely unexpected, and completely devastating. 

"Something New?" (Season 8, Episode 24)

And that's how we met the Mother.

Your turn! What are YOUR 10 favorite episodes of How I Met Your Mother?

• Comments (123)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Neeemaaa Feb 25, 2014

(Thur far) (Top 15 because top 10 is too hard)
    In no particular order:
    Pilot
    Ted Mosby, Architect
    How Lily Stole Christmas
    First Time in New York
    The Platinum Rule
    Intervention
    Benefits
    The Playbook
    Girls vs. Suits
    Last Words
    Symphony of Illumination
    Trilogy Time
    Time Travelers
    Bro Mitzvah
    How Your Mother Met Me

• alirumple Feb 24, 2014

I would love to point out that while I've read as many as 7 lists on various websites pointing out favorite episodes of HIMYM, this is the first I've seen with Arrivederci Fiero on the list! That disappointed me because it is definitely one of my most memorable episodes! I actually really enjoy your list and agree on basically the entirety of it!

• ParktownPrawn Feb 22, 2014

I'm sorry to be a pooper, but how does one(a HIMYM fan) manage to choose a top 10 list?! Its near impossible.

• MatejDijanin Feb 22, 2014

I would add to that list ''the time travelers''.. that episode was memorable and awesome for more than one thing.

• stanthekaddy Feb 22, 2014

Jenkins (you can't handle the fudge)
    Pineapple incident
    The Bracket
    The Naked Man
    The Murtaugh list
    Robots versus wrestlers
    Blitzgiving
    Any episode with the ducky tie, for whatever reason they really pullled out the inteligent humor on those

• mrramirez26 Feb 22, 2014

I don't know that I can name ten episodes off the top of my head...I've loved all the Slap-Bet episodes, and the episode where Marshall met Lily in the airport with a marching band - that was so sweet! Plus Girls vs. Suits featured the ever-wonderful "Nothing Suits Me Like a Suit"! And I loved the episode where Robin sang "Two Beavers are Better Than One", that was priceless.

• LukeTaylor0 Feb 21, 2014

Am I the only one who feels like the Mother is impossibly similar to Lily?

• Biskvit Feb 21, 2014

Swarley
    Arrivederci, Fiero
    Third wheel
    The Naked Man
    The Pineapple Incident
    Slap Bet

• Biskvit Feb 21, 2014

Oh and i forgot "Blitzgiving" in top 3

• stevetepper Feb 21, 2014

Ten Best? Impossible (or is it Possimpible?)

The Pineapple Incident
    The Limo
    Mary The Paralegal
    Slap Bet
    Swarley
    How I Met Everyone Else
    Slapsgiving I, II and III
    The Naked Man
    The Best Burger In NY
    The Stinsons
    The Playbook
    The Wedding Bride
    Symphony Of Illumination
    The Bro Mitzvah
    How Your Mother Met Me

• tamaracassill Feb 21, 2014

"Symphony of Illumination" + "Intervention" loved those 2 "and How Your Mother Met Me"

• See More Comments (82)