News Briefs: According to Twitter, the How I Met Your Mother Finale Was Well Received by Fans

By Kaitlin Thomas

May 03, 2014

THIS FEELS LIKE SOMETHING TED WOULD DO

... Someone over at the social analytics platform Canvs decided to mine the Twitter response to How I Met Your Mother's series finale to find out what the people really thought (I guess that guy hasn't yet seen Frozen and doesn't know how to let it go). According to the data, the reaction to the finale was more positive than negative. More than twice as many people said they enjoyed it than said that it sucked. According to Canvs founder and CEO Jared Feldman, "The platform only analyzes tweets it is sure it can interpret accurately," which means all of the tweets that were just a giant middle finger to Carter Bays and Craig Thomas were not included in the sample size. [The Atlantic

BUSINESS TIME

... With the end of the season quickly approaching, four of Grey's Anatomy's hardworking doctors have opted to sign new contracts. Justin Chambers, Sara Ramirez, Chandra Wilson, and James Pickens Jr. will all be around through Season 12 (should ABC choose to keep Grey's around that long). They join leads Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey, who have already renewed their contracts with ABC. [TV Guide]

... Lifetime has ordered eight episodes of Child Genius, a new competition series based on a UK format. It will follow America's smartest smartypants and their families as they prepare to compete in a national intelligence competition testing their knowledge of logic, current affairs, history, memory, science, spelling, math, and debate. Remember when childhood was about running, jumping, and climbing trees, and not about parents needing to prove their children are smarter than everyone else's? [Deadline]

... Downton Abbey's Jim Carter and his wife, actress Imelda Staunton, are teaming up with folk band Show Of Hands to record an album of war-inspired poetry to mark the anniversary of World War I. What I'm taking away from this is not that Jim and Imelda need to get out more, but the fact Mr. Carson is married to Dolores Umbridge! [The Telegraph]

... MTV, the land of pregnant teens, hunky werewolves, and fake lesbians, has ordered a cast-contingent pilot from Paul O'Toole (Sirens) and Andy St. Clair (Sirens). The untitled comedy project follows Andy, a 22-year-old who gets into a car accident with a celebrity after catching his girlfriend cheating on him. Naturally, said celebrity takes pity on Andy and decides he's going to teach him how to nut up. If you'll excuse me, I need to go ram my car into Walton Goggins' car for completely unrelated reasons. [Deadline]

CASTING NEWS

... Ray Romano has joined the cast of HBO's as-yet-untitled drama pilot about rock 'n' roll in 1970s New York. The project, which comes from Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger, George Mastras, and Terence Winter, stars Bobby Cannavale as a record executive who's trying to restart his label with a new sound. Romano will play Richie‚Äôs BFF and righthand man Zak Yankovich. The character is described as "tough and sharp-witted," and his experience dates back to the days when the mob had its fingers in the record industry. The cast also includes Olivia Wilde and Juno Temple. This sounds super cool, but it better not interfere with Parenthood if/when it's renewed by NBC! [Deadline]

REQUIRED READING

... Louie returns Monday evening, and we'll have our official (p)review of Season 4 for you soon, but while you wait, Grantland has ranked every episode from the first three seasons.  You might be surprised by number 1. [Grantland]

... The Good Wife has actually thought about spinning off Carrie Preston's Elsbeth, but it's not going to happen right now. Here' why. [E! Online]

OTHER RECENT STORIES YOU MAY'VE MISSED ON TV.COM

... Girl Meets World finally has a premiere date! And an extended trailer! 

... HBO has released the first photos from True Blood's final season

... Starz has released the official trailer for its upcoming time-traveling drama Outlander

• Comments (121)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • mrjimmyjames May 06, 2014

Also apparently according to twitter:

Donald Trump's hair looks great.
    The sky is purple and the grass is red.
    Aliens invaded the world in 1968.
    Henry the 8th was actually a robot.
    Politicians care about people more than themselves.

Twitter, ever the reliable source.

• MSmollins May 05, 2014

The HIMYM ending was bad...show should have been entitled 'How I continuously banged your Aunt Robin." Should have attached a poll to this to gauge how TV.com viewers felt about it now that we've all had a few weeks to digest it.

• Lady_Jay May 05, 2014

I'm gonna miss Sandra Oh on Grey's

And for the suckiest finale ever, statistics ,like the twitter counts thing there, are not accurate enough to really know what's going on because there are actually people who haven't seen that shitty thing yet because it hasn't aired in their country, and some people who have seen it were so upset with the writers they thought they didn't deserve a tweet even if it was just a middlefinger.

• HristoslavDim May 04, 2014

HIMYM ending was good but what irritated me was that they spent an entire season on the Robin/Barney wedding and then divorced them in like 5 minutes.... so pointless

• tamaracassill May 04, 2014

HIMYM finale was shit - and thats it... I saw way more bad tweets.. and they got retweeted heaps

• Gully_Foyle May 04, 2014

Olivia Wilde + Juno Temple + HBO, odds of the cast staying 100% clothed for an entire episode : 0%

• JJBurton May 04, 2014

Quick question. Why have you stopped reviewing Revenge? You haven't reviewed the last two episodes but you also haven't said why and you are still reviewing other shows? Don't know where else to ask you. Thanks.

• thekaitling May 05, 2014

Hey! That's a good question. Unfortunately, reader interest waned considerably for Revenge over the course of the season so we cut it out of our weekly review rotation. What shows we cover are carefully chosen based on reader interest, writer interest, and several other factors. We'll definitely be checking back in with Revenge at the end of the season, though.

• vampman87 May 04, 2014

... So Sirens is canceled?

• Muderboy May 04, 2014

What?

• scyfymum2 May 04, 2014

WHY or Why more greys? OK the ratings must be so much better than I would expect.

• Muderboy May 04, 2014

It's still a good show.

• houbou May 03, 2014

Carrie Preston as Elsbeth spin-off would be cool :)

• See More Comments (38)