News Briefs: Workaholics' Anders Holm Is Joining the How I Met Your Dad Pilot

By Kaitlin Thomas

Mar 15, 2014

SPOILER ALERT: HE'S NOT THE DAD

... Things are really starting to take shape over at How I Met Your Dad, the spin-off pilot of How I Met Your Mother. Anders Holm (Workaholics, The Mindy Project) has landed the recurring role of Gavin, the soon-to-be ex-husband of Greta Gerwig's lead character Sally. The potential series would follow the same format as the original series, only with Sally and four of her friends at the forefront. Her character is essentially the Ted Mosby of the series, and is described as being a "female Peter Pan" who's thinking about divorcing Gavin after only a year of marriage. [TV Line

BUSINESS TIME

... Hannibal Buress, who is currently voicing Crisco on Chozen and appearing on Broad City, announced today via his Twitter account that Comedy Central has picked up his new reality series Unemployable for 10 episodes. Each week, Buress will try out a different job and mix in a little standup action. [SplitSider]

... HBO has released a five-minute video of how Game of Thrones was made because okay!

CASTING NEWS

... The Whoniverse has added a new guest-star: When Doctor Who returns for Season 8 later this year, Peter Capaldi's Twelfth Doctor will come face-to-face with Ms. Delphox, a character with a dark secret to be played by Keeley Hawes (Upstairs Downstairs). The Doc will meet Delphox when he arrives on a strange and puzzling planet... which is not to be confused with all of the other strange and puzzling planets that have previously appeared on the series, of course. [BBC America via press release]

... Emily Bergl, who plays Frank's long-lost daughter Sammi Gallagher on Shameless, has been upped to a series regular for Season 5 after appearing in 10 episodes this season. Good news or bad news, Shameless fans? [Deadline]

... Geoff Stults, who currently stars on Fox's Enlisted as eldest brother Pete, has joined a comedy pilot at CBS. Cuz-Bros follows Nick (Stults), an L.A. sportscaster and ladies' man whose life is turned upside-down when his decidedly less cool and not-at-all suave cousin moves in. This news does not bode well for Enlisted, guys. Let's all join hands in a prayer circle and wish upon a star and then go outside, turn around three times and spit, and just hope that Enlisted gets renewed before this pilot can get picked up, because it's turned out to be a pretty fun show. [THR]

... Showtime has promoted Nazanin Boniadi, who guest-starred in the third season of Homeland as CIA analyst Fara Sherazi, to a series regular for Season 4. Fara is said to play a "key role working for Carrie at the CIA" next season. [Showtime via press release]

... Joe Morton (Scandal) has joined the cast of TNT's drama pilot Proof, which stars Jennifer Beals as a surgeon who's recently begun researching and investigating supernatural phenomena like resurrection and out-of-body experiences (oh good, more resurrection stories!). Morton will play her boss, Dr. Charles Russell. He's described as "serious, dry, and intimidating." Someone get that guy laid or something! [TV Guide]

... Odette Annable (Banshee) has been cast as one of the leads in ABC's straight-to-series Astronaut Wives Club. She'll play the youngest wife, Trudy Cooper, who's a licensed pilot and a bit of a tomboy. [Deadline]

... Anne Heche has scored a lead role in USA's six-episode series Dig, opposite Awake's Jason Isaacs. The series follows Peter (Isaac), an archaeologist who uncovers a 2,000-year-old conspiracy that threatens to change history as we know it; Heche will play Lynn, Peter's boss at the Jerusalem FBI office, as well as his main love interest. Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem at all. [THR]

... Kevin Nealon (Weeds) has joined the cast of Rob Lowe's new comedy pilot The Pro, which stars Lowe and Rob Riggle as former doubles partners who had a public falling-out and now work at a tennis club giving lessons. There's no word yet on who Nealon is playing, because this bit of news came from Rob Lowe's Twitter, which is actually where I get all of my news. [Rob Lowe's Twitter]

... Ashley Argota (True Jackson, VP) is leaving Nickelodeon for ABC Family, where she'll join the cast of the critically adored series The Fosters. She'll play Lou, a beautiful singer who catches Brandon's eye. [TV Line]

• Comments (26)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • txgirl75 Mar 15, 2014

I doubt it will do as good as how I met your mother.

• layle1 Mar 15, 2014

"Keeley Hawes (Upstairs Downstairs)"? Really? That was a blip on the radar compared to her role on MI-5 /Spooks.

• rishabhpb Mar 15, 2014

Rob Lowe, Rob Riggle and Kevin Nealon? Sounds like a winner already.

• dhaworth Mar 15, 2014

I hope that doesn't mean that Odette will be unavailable for Banshee next year.

• Taccado Mar 15, 2014

Wise words. But you could of course watch both Banshee (because of BANSHEEEEE!!) and Astronaut Wives Club (because of Odette).

• dhaworth Mar 16, 2014

Unless being 'a bit of a tomboy' includes martial arts and throwing axes, it seems unlikely that I'll be tuning in.

• sleepy-sonic Mar 15, 2014

On the picture Delphox looks a lot like Madame Kovarian minus the eye patch.

• cuculhain Mar 15, 2014

And they clearly showed Enlisted's episodes out of turn in EXACTLY the same way they did to FIREFLY, so it is clear that Fox HAS NOT LEARNED A DAMNED THING. This show has a great cast and shows promise. It belongs in a regular timeslot, preferably on Sunday at 8. (not so sorry Simpsons, you had an amazing run).

• cuculhain Mar 15, 2014

1) Anders Holm joining the HIMYF show is making it harder for me to try to avoid it. I love HIMYM, so I would love to see something else with the same attention to detail and whimsy. But I can't even consider devoting another 8 or 9 years to see it finish the story at this point. If the finale for HIMYM is epic, I am sure I would be more pliable. So until then I am waiting to see if the writers/producers are going to give a hard deadline of say 5 seasons to complete it, or are going to keep it open depending on its popularity.
    2) Rob Lowe, Rob Riggle and Kevin Nealon in a comedy sounds awesome! The first two without Nealon sounds like a possible overload, but Nealon can balance out their energy really nicely. Also, he rocked in Weeds, and Lowe seems to adapt to whatever the script calls for. so this sounds promising.

• sleepy-sonic Mar 15, 2014

I doubt HIMYD is going to reach even five seasons.

• txgirl75 Mar 15, 2014

I doubt it will make it past season 1. lol who knows. I doubt it will be as good as himym.

• KevinG87 Mar 15, 2014

thought the plot of Frank having an older child nobody knew about was interesting, but they screwed it up right from the start, having more of her is definitely a bad thing.

also, I think you meant to say/type "Joe Morton (Eureka)."

• dashheadlong Mar 15, 2014

Enlisted is doomed. I think that much is a given. I hope that means Parker Young can return to Suburgatory. That show needs him for sure. I can't say I will miss Enlisted all that much, although I do find myself coming back each week to get my patented dose of humor with a heart.

• Loooooooooooost Mar 15, 2014

Ok, now I MUST watch The Pro!!

• See More Comments (4)