Farhampton

Episode Reviews (19)

Great

Not Far Enough Away

By tarafan2, Oct 11, 2013

As we're shown Robin waffling about getting married to Barney, Barney trying to dash out of a window as well, footage of Barney looking uncertain about his engagement to Quinn and the constant reminders about Ted getting left at the altar by Stella, I can't help but wonder at the massive amount of money that has been wasted on this show on weddings that never actually happened. What happened to splitting up before you get engaged or at the very least realizing this situation is wrong when you can still get some of your deposit back? If I were related to any of these people and had trekked out to Farhampton for weddings that didn't actually come to fruition, I'd be a little pissed off. Particularly if I shelled out cash for some ugly-ass bridesmaid dress.

Anyway, the episode. So Ted's sitting at a train station in Farhampton and some poor old lady makes the mistake of asking Ted why he's dressed like he came from a wedding. So is this within the story he's telling to his kids still? Or just a separate tale he told to this random stranger? Hard to say, but given that it picks up after last year's cliffhanger, it seems like a framing device within a framing device.

So old lady gets told how ten hours earlier Robin called Ted into her bridal suite to ask if Barney was freaking out. Ted says he's not, but a quick clip shows otherwise. Robin herself wants to know how hard it would be to climb out the window, and Ted says out isn't hard, but getting back in is a challenge. And he knows this from experience because this is the same church that Victoria ditched her betrothed at. And then we never really get more of the Robin story, or why Ted is at the train station though we see the elusive mother pull up in a cab at the end with the yellow umbrella masking her face and a guitar in a case. So this poor old lady got a shitty story with some random non-sequiturs about people she doesn't know.

For the Ted/Victoria plot, they are making their escape to happily ever after when Ted discovers that Victoria neglected to leave an "I'm sorry" note for Klaus. Ted's got guilt issues for stealing the bride, so he forces her to go back and leave a note at this church that appears to be nowhere near the city and given the train situation and the Hampton in the title, probably several hours out on Long Island. But because Ted had his own jilting experience, he thinks it is only proper.

Victoria sucks at dumping people. Ted forces her to write something nice and then she dispatches him to deliver the letter. He tries to sneak into the church, but is stopped by an intimidating German bridesmaid and he has to get Barney to seduce her over the phone, even though he's with Quinn. Introducing the running "It's not cheating if" gag that I imagine will reappear more than just the two times it did in this episode.

Ted delivers the letter, but leaves his car keys upstairs. Why did he take them when Victoria was sitting in the car? Was he worried she was going to steal the car? And it's nighttime now, so she might have appreciated heat. Now he has to scale the wall using a drain pipe. While he's sneaking in, he sees Klaus sneaking out. Klaus isn't ready for this commitment either and is also fleeing. Ted switches the note in the bridal suite so it looks like Victoria was jilted and left upset. Why is there a giant bed in this bridal suite? Especially since it's in the middle of a church? And how early did they get there since it was daytime and she had a chance to go to find Ted and then trek back out here and now it is night? Longest wedding day ever.

Ted then goes and confronts Klaus about why he's leaving There's a lot of German here, but the gist is that you just know instantly if you are with the right one, and he knew Victoria wasn't his destiny. Why didn't he know this BEFORE HE PROPOSED TO HER? Ted agrees that he knows someone just like that, and this seems like the end for Victoria, who will now end up double dumped on her wedding day?

Back in the city, Marshall and Lily are suffering from baby brain, and they can't remember that Barney's engaged or that they shouldn't tell Quinn that Barney and Robin used to date. Especially since Quinn just asked practical strangers Lily and Robin to be her bridesmaids because her stripper friends are just too tacky.

Quinn quickly finds out about Robin, then gets upset and then is appeased when she sees Robin's new boyfriend Nick and his amazing abs. She doesn't know about the secret storage unit that Barney keeps his whole box of Robin related memorabilia in.

The only redeeming thing in this whole episode is the countdown clock that Quinn initiates when she gives Barney a chance to explain himself. He essentially sums up the entire Ted/Robin/Barney messed up love triangle and his time on The Price Is Right in less than 60 seconds. Boy, do I feel like I've wasted a lot of time.moreless

A great start to a season that was "all over the place" most of the times...

By chris_friends, May 29, 2013

Season 8 was honestly a bit of a roller-coaster for this show. Few episodes from this season were actually special and noteworthy, including of course the special Christmas episode "The Final Page" along with "Who Wants to Be a Godparent?", "Band or DJ?", of course "The Time Travelers" and the epic season finale "Something New?"

The premiere, "Farhampton" sort of falls in the middle. It wasn't a HUGE episode in terms of development, but it did make us excited. We have never seen Ted THAT close to the Mother. I mean, seriously he was just a few feet away from her. That's gotta be something.

Barney's monologue, explaining EVERYTHING that has happened for the past 8 years, was probably the episode's biggest moment. Good job here, HIMYM.moreless

Pretty funny!

By amazing_race, Jan 31, 2013

This was a pretty good episode with some pretty funny moments right throughout.

There were some interesting surprises and twists and turns, as well as some great laughs!

We still don't know the WHO for the mother, but at least we now know WHERE they met! At Farhamption! That was a nice little revelation at the end!

Can't wait for the next one!

Great on its own, but in context...

By TOMH1109, Dec 19, 2012

It's difficult to see Ted doing what he does in this episode, but then I suppose he's always thrown caution to the wind and made mistakes in the name of love. On its own, this is a great episode but it is spoiled by knowing the bigger picture. Knowing that Ted and Victoria will break up in 4 episodes, for reasons almost completely unrelated to the big speech that Klaus gives at the end (which is the highlight of the episode for me, only just beating Barney's fantastic 52 second summation) really cheapens the impact of it. It just feels like setting up all these relationships, just to knock them down in less than half a dozen episodes feels so contrived and they needed maybe half a season to extend them out. However, that said, on its own, this is one of the highlights of an otherwise fairly mediocre 8th season.moreless

It's back

By AliIbrahim2, Nov 12, 2012

kicks off with a bunch of twists but the greatest thing is that this is the longest story I've ever enjoyed. hope it never ends

Farhampton

By Aquitar94, Oct 23, 2012

I thought that this episode was a great start to what will more than likely be the final season of HIMYM! At first I found Ted's plot to be irritating with the whole letter thing, but after pondering it, it would seem very cruel for you to just leave someone at the alter without explaining anything. The Robin/Barney/Quinn & Lily/Marshall plot was good as well! I loved how Barney summed up the series in 1 minute lol and I was surprised that Robin has a boyfriend and that Klaus also planned on leaving Victoria at the alter as well! I thought the scene where Klaus explained to Ted that Victoria was ALMOST everything he wanted, but not what he needed was great. It kind of applied to Ted with Victoria and Barney with Quinn (judging by how he stared out the window in the taxi), and it's obvious Robin isn't over Barney either. What happened to be my favorite part though was the final scene, in which Ted is merely inches away from the mother! It's a great start to what I think will be a great season!moreless

Dissapointing

By dario_hertz, Oct 23, 2012

Just dissapointing...

Sappy, Jumpy and Just not the episode I hoped for

By kbelliveau, Oct 21, 2012

HIMYM has a way of teaching us the audience valuable life lessons, while keeping them light. During this season opener, there were things that seemed sappy and convoluted. We start off with a flash of the wedding day, and then Robin says she cant go through with it. Then back to present day, Marshall and Lily are tired from their newborn, Barney and Quinn are planning their wedding and Ted and Victoria are planning out how they can let Klaus down without destroying him.

There were very few laughs, very few moments that seemed genuine. With all these flashfowards and flash backs it is difficult to understand any of the timelines currently established within the show. How far off are we from the wedding day, why is Robin getting cold feet when the episode clearly indicates that both her and Barney are still madly in love with one another. Really HIMYM just seems to be stretching for storyline. I said this at the end of last season and I'll say it again, with the lack of freshness in the show I really do hope season eight proves to be the last one.

I do really enjoy this show and the characters, it just really feels like enough is enough sometimes with this show. They've spent too much time bringing back people from the past, and finally we see where Ted will meet his soul mate, but still no when.

This show is worth watching as a series, which is why I hope it ends before it is just a lame excuse for a romantic comedy. It has become the sappy lovefest of will they or won't they, when in the beginning it was about an incredible journey to find the ultimate happiness. What happened to that?moreless

The last Scene

By blueboi, Oct 19, 2012

I loved the first episode of the latest season. Glimpses of what to come, Robin and Barney moments, Lily being Lily and Marshall being Marshall and of course Ted and the mother's meeting place.

I hope they make episodes focused on the main characters and not get into Victoria-Quinn mode.

Being a big fan, I wanna see the season go forward in what is probably the last or penultimate season.

Aaand We're Back

By AriSky, Sep 29, 2012

HIMYM returns to exactly that same steady gait it's had throughout its career. Just a taste, just a tease, and a great heaping helping of comedy. I'm uncomfortable with the basis of Ted and Victoria getting back together - though the scene with Klaus at the train station was absolutely brilliant, whether the German words were existent or not. While I disagree with all the hate directed at how long it's taken to actually meet the mother, I am getting tired of seeing next to no detail beyond the yellow umbrella. Hopefully showing us more details like the heels and the guitar is the subtle way of saying that we'll see more of her this season. Here's to hoping - I'm glad to have my pick-me-up back on the air.moreless

Load More Reviews