Tailgate

Episode Reviews (4)

Good
7.9

nice episode in this season

By RajkumarReddy, Jan 04, 2012

ted n barney finally opened thr bar.. robin's part is also very good...

Tailgate

By AsteriaNike, Jan 03, 2012

That. Was. Good. And had me nearly in tears in the final moments. After the downer of the previous episode, I was kind of expecting a really overtly cheerful one to 'make up' for it. This episode was definitely more up-beat, but it is hard to look past some of the sad yet sweet parts.

For once I was happy with all of the story lines. Sure Barney and Ted's bar was always going to end as it did (pretty much as their previous similar adventure did), but it was entertaining, what with the song, Barney being Barney, and their general naivety. For the 'secondary' plot (in this more the tertiary in my opinion, with the other two being sort of tied for the main plot), it was interesting and I wasn't as tired of it as I usually get.

In many ways Robin's plot was also 'secondary', but it likely has huge implications for her further down the track (just me picking up on the not very subtle hints the show gave ;)). Her final message on air about her 2011 was fitting and a good way to at least temporarily tie up the last episode and her.

Marshall's story had most of the emotional part of the episode, what with his narration of it (sort of) as he is trying to reconnect with his passed away dad and the tie in with Lily and her father. There was quite a bit going on in this part, but as a viewer I wasn't really lost and kind of liked how it all tied together (also liked the way the topic of religion was kind of metaphorised (I'm sure that is a word...) throughout their part. Well done, I thought.

All in all the only thing I didn't really like was all the interruptions Marshall was putting up with. Sure they were for comic effect, but I think I am a tad too impatient for them.moreless

Ted and Barney open their own bar, Marshall visits his dad's gravestone, and thanks to her drunk boss, Robin gets her chance to shine.

By pudgebyrd722, Jan 03, 2012

I thought this was one of Season 7's best. For once, I was fan of all the characters' storylines and subplots starting with Ted and Barney's dream of opening their own bar. This is after McLaren's is overcrowded on New Year's Eve and beer prices are skyrocketing. When they flashbacked to when they first thought of the idea, I loved when Barney threw the Monopoly game board up in the air. And then the name, Puzzles. Why's it called that? That's the puzzle! Random, but Neil Patrick Harris never fails to disappoint. Things get out of hand and Ted and Barney find themselves with the same problem: they have to higher their prices from it's original mark: $2 to over $10. Meanwhile, the whole story's being narrated by Marshall for a change, as he's telling his dead father at his gravestone his adventurous New Year's Eve. He tells of how Lily admits she's been saddened by her father's lack of making her believe in anything. At this time, other visitors in the cemetery interrupt Marshall's time. He tries to watch the Vikings game, too, while having to sacrifice some of his drinks and burgers. However, his flashback to one of his father's tailgates was touching and opened his eyes to his fellow cemetery visitors. Meanwhile, Robin gets her chance to shine as the new year starts when her boss is a mess, dealing with issues with his relationship. Overall, "beastmode" episode.moreless