In Plain Sight

Show Reviews (49)

Great

Never really got over the way out of character (written in) pregnancy.

By LENZ5369, Nov 20, 2013

Just finished watching the entire series.

The first 3 seasons were more or less what I came and was hoping for - a light and 'spunky' drama; akin to shows like burn notice, psych, chuck, etc.

The show chugged along fairly predictably but certainly enjoyably until season 4 and specifically the whole pregnancy thing.

It bugged me more that anything else in the series, it left me confused and in disbelief, I initially assumed they were going for some serious character development -denial of being pregnant, acceptance of being pregnant, arranging to put it up for adoption, over time become less against being pregnant and then some how losing the baby but realizing that doing the 'white picket fence thing' is not as unwanted as she thought it would be.

The real/original Mary didn't seem to be the type to meet a guy, fall in love, get married and then have kids. Then suddenly the women for whom casual sex is not an uncommon thing 'accidentally' gets pregnant. It was especially unbelievable as an accident given how responsible Mary is portrayed to be.

Though a couple of eps after the pregnant thing I did get some solace -when Dr. Finkel remarked that a sexually active 39 YO women doesn't suddenly screw up their contraception.

Also what was up with bringing back that O'connor FBI guy in season 5; let alone having him running a major (most wanted) operation?

Maybe it's just me but having a colleague take your place in an operation (that he doesn't comeback from) so you could sleep with his wife and then proceeding to waste millions of tax payer money in a wild goose chase so that you could make yourself feel better about it shouldn't have had the apparent effect of boosting his FBI career prospects.

And should probably just ignore the 'fans' who go on about how 'intelligent, deep and profound" the show was because it wasn't (peekaboo is amazing to a baby).

It was a good show, it did what it was meant too -entertain me.moreless

Hidden. Not Forgotten

By m00nshadow, Jul 03, 2012

This is an emotionally intense and satisfying show. Mary and Marshall are a superbly antagonistic team who complement each other when it counts. Exploring the topic of relocating people into Witness Protection is a brilliant concept, and this show illuminates the unexpected emotional outcomes of our "WitSec" system. Bottom line: I highly recommend this show.

Not As Plain As One Might Think

By DannMichalski, Jun 06, 2012

Though I initially avoided the series, after I gave it a chance and got into it, In Plain Sight turned out to be a lot better than I thought. And, each season got progressively better; except for the final season which did a disservice to several key characters. The format of the series allowed for a wide range of different types of stories and for a variety of interest guest stars. The clever writing and witty dialog made the series a truly enjoyable show that was fun to watch.moreless

mary in plan site

By JamesSiever, Apr 29, 2012

Hay why stop the show it is really good and Mary she is why I like in plan site now you all are takeing another good show

Likes - great location shots, good humor, solid cast and fine acting. Dislikes - offensive profanity, situations at Mary's home make you want to slap someone.

By cxtasy, Jun 19, 2011

In Plain Sight is a fun series. We became steady viewers the first time we watched - we admit that's partly because we lived in Albuquerque, and enjoy seeing familiar spots in town, and the backdrop of our favorite mountains and beautiful evening sky shots. Shooting on location is preferable to unending studio scenes - such as those on "Medium," a series which purportedly takes place in Phoenix, but never shows anything from Arizona - it all looks more like Pasadena. IPS makes good use of the high desert scenery.

IPS is a low-budget drama, evident mostly by the sparse US Marshals' office and the thin cast. Adding Holly Maples as the office administrator made sense - until then the three pros had no support. Even that cast increase had no effect on the show budget - she's married to producer David Maples. And the same abandoned motel on Central Avenue seems to be featured in every episode. Mary continues to drive the same smoky Ford Probe, but now it's part of the scenery, so let's keep it.

The sniping between Mary's character Mary, and Marshal Marshall (Frederick Weller) often gets us laughing. But be warned - IPS scripts are offensively profane. The first episode I saw had Mary McCormack emitting three vulgarities just for starters. Gratuitous cursing and swearing make us cringe, and we wonder about Ms. McCormack's legacy of work, which she could not even allow her grandchildren to view. We put up with it, but IPS would be far better fare without it.

The episode titles are some of the most amusing we've ever seen for a series. Puns, word games and pop culture references abound - we love it.

Like many series, IPS shifts regularly from crime drama to soap opera. The home cast of ne'er-do-well sister Brandi (Nichole Hiltz) and weepy mom Jinx (Lesley Ann Warren) was downright tedious in the beginning of Season 2, but later episodes had their dysfunctional ways lessen. We do like the Detective Robert Dershowitz (Todd Williams) character - often at odds with Mary, but showing growing respect for her and bringing in good bits of police-FBI cooperation. Good work also by Paul Ben-Victor as supervising marshal Stan McQueen, who does well when the main storyline revolves around him. Glad it got a Season 3 - hope the audiences are getting used to good shows going into hiatus for months at a time - if we all accept it, maybe they won't lose so much viewer share that they slip into cancellation jeopardy.moreless

Takes some time to get into but once you do you absolutely love it.

By carlyy226, Nov 15, 2010

At first I was annoyed that this show was trying to do the female voiceover narration ala Grey's Anatomy but then I remembered how much I love it on Grey's and was happy to have another show adopting the format. Mary is a lot to handle, hence why you have to ease into this show. She's rude, crass and always gets her way which, as it turns out, is part of her charm. I don't find the cast of this show particularly attractive, nor do I care if Mary and Marshall ever get together, I feel that their 'love connection' is a bit forced, but I love them together as partners. The first season finale was by far the best, and most dramatic, and I wish that they'd go a little darker at times. I enjoy that this show is a hybrid of procedural and serial. You could easily just watch occasionally and just enjoy the cases from week to week but if you stick around there is a definite serial nature to it, especially with Mary's family (a storyline I happen to love). Her family is totally screwed up, her father is a felon on the run and if she ever finds out where he is she'll have to arrest him, and her mother and sister are just plain crazy. All in all Mary is a tough nut to crack, enjoyable to watch, and a great character to come back to week after week.moreless

Great characters, fantastic dialogue.

By mixedberry, Aug 10, 2010

I have to say, I gave up on this show halfway through season 2 - I couldn't stand the family drama anymore. Nichole Hiltz (who plays Brandi) must have been dehydrated after every episode because there was hardly a scene she didn't appear in sobbing her eyes out. That whole episode at the AA meeting left me unutterably depressed, and I could just read the news if that was the effect I was going for. I'm glad I gave it another shot because the family drama really toned down and the whole tone of the show lightened, without losing any of its edge. On the contrary, I found the dialogue wittier in the last half of season 2 and in season 3. I also like the romantic developments with Marshall's character (thus far completely one-sided), and in fact his whole character has been more fleshed out and I understand (and like) it better, primarily his sensitivity and the depth of his feelings. **SPOILER ALERT** I also like the Season 3 ending because honestly, where would we go if M & M end up together? I do hope that in Season 4 (and I fervently hope there is one) they work more closely together than they did in Season 3 though. Altogether a stellar show.moreless

This episode was so complete.Maybe that's not the right word i mean it spoke for its self. The idea of Mary being shot you could tell that they all love her. Ralph,Mother and sister crying. But most of all you can see the love and pain in Marshall's eyes.

By Pam_Fabulosity, Jul 30, 2010

This episode was so complete. maybe that's not the right word i mean it spoke for its self. The image of Mary being shot you could tell that everybody loves her. Ralph rubbing his eyes. Mother and sister crying. But most of all you can see the love and pain in Marshall's eyes. He cried a lot but for me it made a statement.I'm new to this show and I've only started watching it from season 3. But as i watched "Don't cry for me Albuquerque" I could see just from this episode that Ralph and Mary were not going to last. Not to mention that there was definitely something going on between Mary and Marshall.I think there secretly in love though I already know that Marshall loves her by watching"Let's get it Ann". Ooh not forgetting Stan he cares for Mary more then Ralph and Marshall cares for Mary even more than mother, sister,Ralph,Stan and even more than Mary herself will ever care. P_Fabulosity....moreless

used to be good. now it is not.

By sramv9, Jul 13, 2010

I used to be a faithful fan of this show, watching every week and celebrating the interesting character of Mary and the way she balanced her type a personality, intense job and dysfunctional family/personal life. Then at the end of season two they decided not to show part two of the season finale, fired the show creator/producer, and gave Mary a brain transplant replacing her sharp wit with bland sarcasm and taking all the heart and fun out of the show. I can't even watch it now. It's not the same show. It is boring and pointless. .

However, I do recommend season one and two - they were fabulous. just be forewarned that the true ending to the season two cliffhanger has never been shown because of the decision to wreck the show in the hopes that a less intelligent creative and interesting show would garner better ratings.moreless

The show is great, gives a fairly (albeit) hollywood account of what protective work is all about. Wish I'd had Mary's mouth when I worked for the Treasury Dept! For those that whine its not good, grow up or go back to watching Mickey Mouse Club, k?

By ninasimone0001, Jun 16, 2010

The show is tight, bold, freshand well written, always a great repartee going, love the sarcasm, some days thats all that gets you by in that career field! Mary is a gem, saying that of both the character and the actress. Mann is a good foil for her, and the family brings in reality twists many sappy cop shows don't present. More Mary and her personal life please! The show that showcased the beginnings was especially intersting, also the one where Mann's fathershowed up, nice plot twists. Also for those that don't like Mary's demeanor, you should try babysitting protective principles for a few days, you'd be frazzled too.moreless

Load More Reviews