In Search of.....

Show Reviews (5)

Good
7.6

Fun at the time, but not to be taken seriously

By CaptainMidnight, Aug 24, 2008

I used to like watching this show in the late '70s, in that dead hour between the evening news and prime time, alongside shows like The Muppet Show and That's Hollywood.

Part of me wishes I could watch this again, if only for the nostalgia value and the odd, whining title theme. But another part has come to admit just how ridiculous the show really was. The mid '70s had quite a bit of exploration of outlandish theories. There were primetime specials investigating Bigfoot, Noah's Ark, the Loch Ness Monster, Atlantis, the Bermuda Triangle, you name it. Erik von Daniken's "Chariots of the Gods" book was a bestseller. Maybe it was a product of the era. The nation seemed on the brink, what with the Cold War at its peak, the energy crisis, the terrible recession and double-digit inflation. We wanted to escape, to believe that maybe there were things out there far beyond our mundane world. This show did its best to address that. Anything resembling an unsolved mystery (no pun intended) got its 15 (okay, 30 before commercials) minutes of fame here, lent gravitas and an air of legitimacy by Leonard Nimoy's sonorous voice and the narration that always seemed to hedge on all points but which nonetheless always seemed to favor the more incredible "possiblities."

But when it all comes down to it, you have to admit it was just window dressing on what were basically crackpot theories. After all, if you honestly look at it after three decades, not a single one of their far-out theories have panned out and a great many have been debunked. Just look at the very first episode. Can we communicate with plants? Plants??? They tried to make it plausible with mentions of Kirlian photography and other pseudoscientific phenomena, but no reputable scientist would deem this anything other than entertainment.moreless

One of the first TV shows to explore the paranormal, In Search Of... set a high standard.

By tmkreutzer, Apr 03, 2007

Narrarated by Leonard Nimoy, In search of was a 30 minute syndicated show that covered a wide range of paranormal topics. It pioneered a lot of the methodology that modern paranormal shows use today but never actually provided any answers or proof. In the end, you had to ask yourself why they never found anything they searched for.

Still, the show was popular and its documentary style, which included a lot of location shoots and interviews, really made you believe that the mysteries they were searching out were worthy of your time and attention. Overall, I would call this a good show that was worth watching. Although some of the interviews and other information may be a little dated today, I think it stands the test of time well and the show can still hold its own against the modern competition.moreless

A very solid show.

By Miroku_of_Nite1, Jul 26, 2006

A very solid show, although I never got a chance to see the 70's version of this show I always loved watching the newer version. Continuing with the ground work Sightings and other such shows have be doing in the past this show was able to pull off well done documentary style of explaining things. This show always gave you a look into what might or might not be, depending on your personal thoughts. The show would present a theory or a idea and tell you about it. Then it was more or less based on the view to wonder about it. More or less they do not make shows like this anymore, and I kind of wish they did.moreless

Engrossing show that delves into the mysteries of the natural world.

By Lokar, Jul 10, 2006

This classic show began its run in the late 1970s. Star Trek legend Leonard Nimoy walked us through stories of ghosts, UFOs, the Bermuda Triangle, Aztec field carvings, Stonehenge, Easter Island and more. For many of us, this was our first acquaintance with science topics, and sparked a serious interest in the field--I can't tell you how many times I went to the library because of something I saw discussed here.

Many other similar shows have come along since, but few have been as clever and thorough as this one. The show had a good balance of amateur investigators and experts. You'd hear the story, then examine the evidence. And you can't beat Leonard Nimoy's narration.

One for the ages.moreless