Iron Chef Japan

Show Reviews (21)

Great

JAPAN VS. CHINA

By JACQUE109, Oct 01, 2014

I'm thinking about Iron Chef Japan vs. Iron Chef China. Chairman Kaga, what do you think about this. I would love to see this. Please let me know your thoughts on this topic. I know that no one has yet to master your Iron Chefs and that you decided to discontinue the competitions. I miss your expertise and mastery of superlative foods and presentatins that your master iron chefs performed. Your nephew does a wonderful performance here in America also, but nothing like Japan.moreless

An awsome show!

By yuki_megami, Nov 18, 2007

Iron Chef is an Japanase cooking show.Where challenger's challenge the iron chef to see who is better.With the main ingrident and the time clock they have 45 minitues to spare.This show is awsome! I used to watched this show on Food Network.But I still watch the show on youtube.This show is cool too.All the ingridiants are awsome even what they cook.It always taken me by surprise on what creation they had done.Everytime,I watch the food tasting I wished I could try one! Iron Chef this japanase show can be seen battling in France,Belgium and Hong Kong.Even though I had not seen the Beigum or Hong Kong battle.Lets not forget here in New York City!

My favorite chef is Chen! Even though the show has ended.There is Iron Chef America.I wish they had Iron Chef Japanase on DVD!moreless

Nice show

By da_dunker, Aug 08, 2007

I love Iron Chef. What an idea for a show!! I love the premise of bringing renowned chefs from all over Japan and the world to challenge Chairman Kaga's Iron Chefs, and to have them create dishes on the spot using the theme ingredient announced at the beginning. It's also fun to listen to the play-by-play announcing; you'd think this was a sports events.

The fact that these chefs can prepare 4-6 dishes on the spot in one hour attests to their amazing skills and imagination, especially when an Iron Chef of one cooking style is confronted with a theme ingredient they normally don't use. I wish I was there to taste some of their amazing creations.

What astounds me about the show is how seriously some challengers take this, like the Italian expatriate chefs and their battles against Iron Chef Italian Masahiko Kobe, and the Ohta Factions' (a society of Japanese chefs who are staunchly traditional in their cooking techniques) war against Iron Chef Japanese Masaharu Morimoto.

I can't wait for IC3 next month. My local cable company just recently added the Food Network, so I didn't see the original Bobby Flay/Morimoto contest. After watching what Morimoto has done in previous episodes, I really can't see Flay winning. I've also thought about whether Emeril would someday appear on Iron Chef, but I think he's a bit too laidback for something as tense and fast-paced as this.moreless

Off the Wall (in a good way)

By Evil_Dead_Ash, Jul 26, 2007

It's very hard to describe the appeal of the show (it's very Japanese). It may have been culture shock the first few times I watched it; but after that I was hooked. It's interesting to watch the chefs prepare things that you'd never see in North America and the voice-over for the show is both charming and humorous. This is a Japanese show, so of course everyone was speaking Japanese originally.

You have your main commentators and of course the guest 'celebrities'. Apparently Japan has even worse taste then America when picking their celebrities. There were a lot of airhead actresses (like a Japanese version of Paris Hilton).

And naturally my favorite part of the show was watching Chairman Kaga (he's very quirky and charismatic). The judging of the dishes is also a favorite. Some of the judges seem extremely unqualified and the translated comments were on occasion very funny.

It is the competition aspect of the show that sets it apart from your standard cooking show.moreless

A lot of Japanese TV doesn't translate to America...

By tmkreutzer, Jul 23, 2007

In the past decade American TV producers have realized that Japan is a fertile market when it comes to TV programs that can be purchased, translated and sold to America's ever-expanding cable TV market. Some shows succeed by lampooning the originals or by changing the premise to something more American. Iron Chef, fortunately, manages to avoid that and makes the transition to American television in a way that both preserves and honors the integrity of the original program.

In any language, Iron Chef is a good show that holds viewers' attention throughout the competition and the judging. The premise is easy to understand and the action is always exciting. Viewers can come in at virtually any point of the show and pick up on the action as though it were a true sporting event. It is a simple premise that makes great TV.

I especially like that the fact that the American producers acknowledge the show's foreign origins. Through the inclusion of small details, such as subtitling rather than dubbing "Chairman Kaga's" monologues into spoken English, they really enhance the overall production. The Food Network could have taken the lower road and played this show for laughs, but I'm glad they didn't. The end result is a great show that the whole family can watch together.moreless

Ready, set, cook! The culinary arts turn into a riveting battle in this offbeat Japanese series.

By Lokar, Jun 01, 2006

Ever wonder what would happen if the chefs of top restaurants had to meet each other in a contest for the only accolades that count--the smiles and compliments of their guests? This show makes it possible.

Each time, a guest cook must select an opponent from among the best names in upscale dining. The master of ceremonies assigns a central dish and both competitors must concoct a number of recipes based around it. These can range from simple roasts, to custards topped by a slice of fish, to fruit stews--you name it, they'll try to do it. When all is said and done, the anxious stars must earn good marks from the panel of judges, or it's 'thanks, but no thanks.'

Far better than your average 'now lift the pan so you don't burn the sauce' exercise in cheerless kitchen mastery. 'Iron Chef' is fun no matter what's for dinner tonight.moreless

A great show!

By d429, Mar 15, 2006

I wish they would bring new episodes. The new season is horrible. I like this one much better. I used to watch it on fridays and on weekends. I you havent reviewed it yet you should. The only thing i didnt like was we never really got to see iron chef italian to compete that many times.

Two duelists face off, but only one can emerge champion. Watch as two brave warriors fight using only their ...... frying pans?

By crazyponko, Mar 13, 2006

I do not really enjoy reality shows, but Iron Chef is one of the few that can maintain my interest. Why is that? Because I don't have to tune in each week to know what is going on and because the concept was so original. Two guys competeting to prepare the greatest meal... it's fun, interesting, instructive, and not designed to simply torture the competetors. Famous chefs get to test their skills on tv as they create amazing dishes. Ingredients that always seemed so limited before suddenly explode with possibilites. And even though the battle between two chefs can be fierce with their reputations on the line, no one leaves completely humiliated but only with a will to defeat their opponent next time.

If you ever just need to kill an hour, watch this show. There is no long term commitment and it can perhaps inspire some of us lazy viewers to be a bit more daring in the kitchen.moreless

What's funnier than watching a bunch of Japanese guys going all out in the kitchen? Add a very eccentric host who likes to eat bellpeppers and you've got the perfect food show.

By aznneggroepnoi, Nov 15, 2005

I must thank this show for inspiring me to pursue the culinary arts. I now know more about cooking than any of my friends combined. At first view this show was just plain hilarious. But the results of the chefs\\\' hard work and preparation at the end were truly magnificent and after that I was inspired. I admit, the American version isn\\\'t up to par with it\\\'s Japanese counterpart, but one day, I\\\'d love to be a part of that show.moreless

Load More Reviews