Black Jack

Episode Reviews (20)

Superb

Winter is coming, and Jericho is running out of fuel for the generator. If they don't figure out a way to get energy soon, people will no doubt die from the cold. Jake, Johnston, Dale and Heather set out to a trading city to get parts for a windmill.

By binary_spider, May 13, 2008

Despite my numerical review, I think that this show was pretty well done. We know what the problem is from the outset, and things seem to fall into place nicely.

This episode focuses on the mission to Black Jack Fairgrounds and the current situation with Hawkins. There is also a smattering of Mary sparring with Mrs. Johnston, which wasn't as gross as I thought it was going to be.

The story with Hawkins still has some huge holes in it. I'm glad that we were given some pieces in the recent filler episode, but I wish that the writers were a bit more forthcoming. Their secretiveness says that they are going to either drag this out, or that they are planning a twist. I just wish they weren't being so coy with it.

The fairgrounds is a good device. I like the fact that the creators foresaw how things would work in a pretty detailed manner. I can't tell you if this is how things would really go down, but it sure seems plausible, and Black Jack Fairgrounds is a well conceived place. I didn't buy the serendipitous arrival of friends who came out of left field and were blood brothers within seconds of meeting. During the negotiations, one of the new friends vouches for Jake and the city of Jericho. The guy who vouches knows no one from Jericho, and has no reason to stick his neck out for anyone. A minute later (I'll get there), this same guy has to pull a gun on people to keep them from lynching Dale; guns are illegal in the Fairgrounds, so pulling one is a hangable offense. Then a little later, when things look like they are in trouble for these newfound brothers, they get in an army truck and blast through the gate so that Jake et al. can escape. This is sloppy, and it sells out whatever progress the writers made in regards to authenticity.

It's a bleak world, and people have gotten ruthless and will kill you if you break their rules. Either that, or random strangers will risk their life and break all the rules to save you repeatedly. No. I don't care if their friend does know Heather, it does not make sense.

Now. On to Dale. Ahhh, Dale. Early on in the episode, Roger says outright "...it's not the thieves you gotta worry about, it's the guards. They've got a reputation of being really ruthless." Then, upon arrival at the Fairgrounds, there is a sign that says "Thieves will be strung up" (Heather reads it out loud at the gate). When they park Heather asks if they mean "strung up" literally and they whole group pans over to see someone dangling with a noose around their neck. Now... what do you think is going to happen in the story?

That's right. And it's like watching a train wreck. You can see it coming, you know what is going to happen, but there isn't anything that you can do to stop it. The writers could have only made it more obvious if they named this episode "Dale steals some stuff despite being warned about it". It is with a heavy heart that I had to rate this episode a full point lower than I would have if the writers hadn't gotten so sloppy. It's a good episode, just watch out for the dumb parts.moreless

One of my favorite episodes!!

By lisgirl978, Feb 06, 2008

I partially enjoyed this episode as much as I did because there were some pretty funny lines, mostly from Johnston (who I just adore). But that isn't to say this is a lighthearted episode. We get to check out the world outside of Jericho, and how screwed up things are (six presidents? I mean really.). It was also fun because we got to check back in with some characters we haven't talked to in a couple episodes - Heather, and her post-kiss ordeal, as well as Dale and Skylar and what's going on with the store. All in all, I really loved watching this episode.moreless

The world outside of Jericho

By sosoCraig, Jan 05, 2008

In order to get parts for the windmill Jake and others set off to head to the "trading post" that Roger tells them about. There they see what is really happening outside of their town. Things are horrible all over the country. Several people are fighting / insisting they are the President. Some places are not liveable and people are searching for missing and lost relatives.

Hawkins friend arrives and they go in search of the man who had been siphoning information to Hawkins. I still wonder exactly how involved he is in the bombings themselves. All in all a great show.moreless

Jake, Johnston, Heather and Dale go to a trading post.

By expatriot, Oct 11, 2007

In order to get some windmills working they need parts and Roger tells them about a newly established trading post. Dale wants to find stuff to sell and Heather has the technical expertise and Johnston just wants to see the world outside of Jericho, so the four of them go to the trading post. Dale uncovers some secret and then tries to steal the part. THe four need the help of one Heather's old friend to escape and and Heather decides to go with them to help with building energy sources.

Robert and his family get a visit from his girlfriend, the one who helped with planning the bombings. He tells his wife he has to trust her, but it's shown that she cannot be trusted.

Mary and Eric's mom have a heart to heart...moreless

Review

By cavanagh15, Sep 05, 2007

I like the road trip idea, and the people that they decided should go on it for the good of the town. I like that the mayor (former mayor) went with them just to show he still cares about this town. The young boys actions once again confuse me - hes becoming what Jake was in his past it seems, killing a man a couple of episodes ago and trying to steal something right in front of someone in the episode.

Hawkins storyline has been exciting for pretty much the entire series, minus only two episodes I can remember. While some of the scenes are just filler, I like the overall story arch that he has for himself. Im excited to see how this whole "mole" thing works out and if this old man is someone that we all ready know or if it is going to be someone new. All in all - I thought it was a really strong episode behind only the mid season finale and Crossroads.moreless

Another exciting journey with something for everyone.

By sandybadlands, Jul 16, 2007

Aside from the storyline with Gail and Mary, which was conspicuously awkward, this episode was a blast. It had something for everyone: answers, questions, love story, ravings that could possibly be construed as proof of alien life...what's not to love?

The core of this episode was the party sent to the fairgrounds to retrieve a key item--another compelling quest episiode. The motley crew of unpredictable Jericho residents dealt exceptionally well with the extreme conditions at the trading post (at first), and they were rewarded with new information about the state of the union, as well as the possibility of future trades.

This setting also provided fertile ground for character development, especially in the case of Dale, who seems to be fostering a new independence--and not necessarily in a good way. Still, his increasing similarities to Jake become even more intriguing in this episode. The Hawkins family situation--especially the mother-son and father-daughter relationships--is becoming more and more complicated. Add into the mix Heather's temporary departure, and the characters and their relationships are bound to become even more fascinating later in the season.moreless

great episode

By sfviewer, Apr 07, 2007

The town of Jericho are running out of energy resources, they have to find ways to generate energy or a lot of people may freeze during the winter months. Jake, his dad, Heather and Dale visit a town where people can trade their assets with anyone. But the town is more like a throw back to the wild wild west where people get hanged when they get caught stealing. It's nice to see a town outside of Jericho, we get to see a new perspective on the lives of the main characters. This is a really good episode, I really enjoyed watching this one.moreless

Jericho gets more information about the outside world...

By peacejaw, Mar 29, 2007

Again, it's about time we get more answers about the outside world, however, I do think that if the town of Jericho ever needs to go back to Black Jack, it'd better not be any of the gang who went to it in this episode. I doubt that any of this group will be allowed back into Jericho, if they even make it to the gate again.

And it's all thanks to Dale Turner -who tried to steal the part that they needed.

And the hasty exit the group made...

Still, it's nice to see Jake and his father actually start to really bond; not that they hadn't before this episode, but it's really starting to show here... I just hope that more information, like that learned in this episode, actually starts to filter into the series sooner or later. Of course, that could also take years to do, especially as there seems to be a fight to become the new president...

One question is: what's actually going on world-wide? We got to see some of what's been happening in the States... but what about those American's who live abroad... like those who'd been fighting in Afgahnastan (Sorry if that's misspelled) and Iraq, amoung other places.

And what about Canada and Mexico? Are the boarders open or closed now that the worst terror attack on US soil's happened? Not that that matters, but in some respect, it does, as more and more americans move south to warmer climates. Not everyone whose survived the attacks are going to be able to move to the southern states and survive; food & shelter will be just as big problem there as it is in Kansas...

Just a thought.moreless

Awesome episode. Cute Jake/Heather moments. Scary trading posts scenes. Dale almost gets hung!!!! Naughty Naughty!!

By Ol1vertwist, Mar 21, 2007

Jake, Heather, Mr Green and Dale visit the Trading post to find a part for a windmill when they realise that Jericho is drastically running out of fuel and need to find alternate sources to generate power.

There are some sweet Jake/ Heather moments where Heather brings up the kiss and Jake doesn't know what to say about it.

At the trading post the team find out lots of news about what is going on in different areas. They also see a man that had been hung as he was found stealing.

They find some of Heathers friends who take them to a guy who deals in 'specialists items' such as windmill parts. They almost make a deal but Dale finds a horrid scene in the back room, hand cuffs chained to bunkbeds with blood everywhere, so they decide not to make the deal. Dale proceeds to steel the item, gets found out and is chased by the traders, wanting to hang him. The team flee the trading post with help from Heathers friends.

Heather decides not go back to Jericho and go with her friends instead to help make windmills. Jake seems upset that she is going.

Loved this episode, in fact I might go and watch it again now.moreless

Winter is comming...time to prepare!

By alexlips, Mar 09, 2007

It's the first night where the temperature really starts to drop and people died in their sleep. At a town meeting it is decided that Jake, Johnston, Dale and Heather will go to the Black Jack trading grounds where they can trade salt for the parts to make a windmill. Dale tags along to try and get supplies for his shop. The trading grounds were really scary because everyone is so tough and they literally hung people for robbery. I really hate Dale now, what an idiot, he stole somthing! This was all pretty exciting and it was great how Heather stayed behind to do buisness. I actually don't care to much about Heather and Jakes relationship.moreless

Load More Reviews