Heart of Winter

Episode Reviews (22)

Superb

different show

By lizo_77, Jan 01, 2011

I just started watching this show this summer so am watching all the reruns, and I have to wonder why in the world was cbs about to cancel the show?? Wow. This show is just different enough that it keeps you on the edge of your seat. I am definately enjoying it and just might continue to watch it when season 2 starts. this particular episode "heart of winter" or something like that is very interesting, as I live in south dakota, and can't even begin to imagine if life would ever come down to survival without heat or electricity in the middle of winter.

Let's just say I'd rather not think about it.moreless

Jake and Stanley and Mimi go on a hunting excursion which goes very bad. Meanwhile, Roger takes care of the refugees he led to Jericho. Hawkins and Sarah go to find "the old man" and instead find only deeper mysteries.

By binary_spider, May 13, 2008

This was an excellent episode.

When I first saw the Roger/Emily story line emerging, I wasn't all that enthusiastic. It seemed to be a relationship story with two seemingly perfect people. The only real friction in the relationship was and still seems to be that Roger does not do everything Emily wants. Frankly, Emily is a pretty high maintenance girl. Roger tried to get her to consider moving to Chicago, and she blew up at him and said he was "selfish". Of course, it only took Emily 8 weeks to get right at the edge of cheating on Roger with Jake, so she's not really very faithful, either. I like Roger's character, even if he is a little too goody goody. The plot with Hawkins is still tangled. Just when I feel like I'm getting to know what is going on, they switch it up on me and leave me scratching my head. I do like the idea that things are heating up with him, and that he is part of what is really going on in the world, but they are teasing too much.

The crowning achievement in this episode is the hunting expedition with Stanley and Mimi and Jake. The whole situation was paced well and made me really feel what they were going through. I thought the acting was good, and the makeup really did a good job conveying the cold and the injuries. I have a feeling that we'll see that lighter again, and it will mean something when we do. How everyone reacted to the situation really did reinforce who they are as people, and I think that the writers do have a good grasp on the personalities they are writing about. Jake's relationship with his dad also takes center stage, and I bought it. The acting was quite good between Johnston and Jake, and both actors gave a very good performance.

This episode is done well, and has very few flaws.moreless

More Character Development

By sosoCraig, Jan 06, 2008

Jake, Mimi and Stanley take to the road on a hunting trip because food is running out. While on their way back they run into a bigger truck who runs them off the road. The myterious truckers raid the smaller truck for it's supplies and leave, not caring about the inhabitants of the truck they just caused to wreck. Life after the bombs stinks! At first I think Stanley is killed but he ends up trying to keep a trapped Jake awake while Mimi walks for help. Stanley thinks his ankle might be broken.

Hawkins and Sara are another thing. I am still trying to figure out if Sara is trustworthy. I'm still trying to figure out Hawkins. Is he really a good guy? Sara really shocked me in this episode.moreless

Review

By cavanagh15, Sep 05, 2007

The beginning of the episode started off a little slow, but it picked up during the middle and at the end. The character they brought in for the Hawkins storyline was someone who I thought was the big player. I figured he was behind everything that happened, yet he is killed at the end of this episode. Im not so sure I like the writing on this one, but I will see where the writers take it. Im interested to see how "the mole" acts when she is with Hawkins now.

All the scenes with Jake, Mimi, and Stanley were really good I thought. Jake confessing to his father that he killed some girl in Iraq once against opens up the mystery to what did Jake do in the past that we still don't know about. Something like that would have been a bigger reveal to use if we had seen it in the flashback episode. Either way - this episode was really good, not so amazing on the action....but as far as character devolopment and storytelling goes this episode had it all.moreless

Summary of episode follows:

By erin-fbeye, Jun 19, 2007

In this episode, Jake, Stanley, and Mimi go out hunting - with no luck. They find some dogs but without the thought of hunting in mind, they continue on, finding possibly hundreds of frozen people. They get back on the road where they are stopped by a black truck which is sitting in the middle of the road. Jake immediately insists that Stanley (who is driving) to turn around and find another way. That's when the truck starts up. As they drive, the black truck follows extremely closely behind, bumping into the Stanley's truck every few seconds. Jake sits out the window, aiming a small gun at the truck, hoping to send it off track. Sadly, the black truck wins. With a final push, Jake jumps back inside while the small trucks flys off the road right onto a small hill where it drives up then tips, landing it onto his roof. Holding breath moments there!

Mimi gets up first, immediately seeing Stanley. She runs to him. He is unresponsive. She then rounds the truck and finds Jake. He sists up with help from Mimi. They look over the truck, though Jake can't move easily since his leg is pinned under the cab of the truck. There is the black truck pulling up. Jake insists that Mimi go to the hill that they ran over. She runs to it, ducking behind. Jake throws the nearest water bottles and a flashlight in her direction then turns his attention to a gun that is laying near him, not 6 inches from him. He tries desperately to get it but cannot because of his leg. He quickly lays his head against his outstretched arm, making him self look dead. A few seconds later, about 5 guys dressed in black take everything from t he truck - water bottles, flashlights, guns, blankets, guns, and everything else they can find.

Then, they leave.

Mimi runs out begging Jake for help with Stanley. Jake angirly hits the truck and looks to her with a look of desperation. "I can't move." He states, laying back onto the cold ground.

To say the least, the rest of the episode doesn't get much better. Stanley awakens and we find out he has a "busted ankle", I think. With no consent from Stanley, Mimi leaves to find help. Stanley tries to help Jake stay consience by talking to him. It is soon dark and Jake is shivering, his face blue. He wears little but a small sweater. Stanley comes beside him, trying to help warm him. Jake stays consience but he begs Stanley several times to let him lay down. That is not an option.

Mimi walks the road in the darkness, her flashlight dieing. She throws it aside and continues on her trek, trying to follow Stanley's directions. When she sees a truck coming up the road, she runs into the side field and lies down, begging who ever it is to leave her alone. Footsteps are heard and we see Gail and Johnston Green. They help Mimi into the truck.

Stanley is still supporting Jake, trying to get him to talk which doesn't seem like an easy task since Jake's teeth are chattering. His whole body seems to be shaking when the Green's arrive. Gail is the first one to run to her son. Johnston helps Stanley up and he, of course, asks where Mimi is. She shows herself and helps him into the truck. Johnston then tells Gail to get help and to signal them when they get back. They leave.

Johnston is left with Jake who has now been covered with blankets. After Jake reveals a secret about his past, the truck arrives back and with help from Erik and some other towns folk, they get Jake's leg un-trapped and they bring him home. There, he begs his father to forget what he told him. "That's not possible"

A wonderful episode and Skeet should be very proud of his performance! 2 thumbs way up!!moreless

great episode

By sfviewer, Apr 07, 2007

Jake, Stanley and Mimi go on a hunting trip outside of Jericho, they run into trouble when they encounter a group of men who steals anything of value from everyone who passes too close to their roadblock. They try to outrun the thieves, but they get run off the road. Everything they have with them are stolen and they are left out in the middle of nowhere. The three of them faces a serious dilemma, if they stay there they'll freeze to death, so mimi volunteers to go back towards Jericho and call for help. this is a really good episode.moreless

A creative way to deal with the sudden onset of winter, the lack of food, and the growing father/son relationship between Jake and his father...

By peacejaw, Mar 29, 2007

Since the start of the show, I've often asked many questions, especially about the going's on in the outside world, about Jake & Robert's past, and a lot of other things. But I've always wondered how the show's creaters, and writers, were going to deal with the harsh winter elements that frequent the states -including the possibility of many blizzard type storms that actually happened to the Colorado/Kanses area late last year and early this year; would those storms be written into the show or not?

The real-life blizzards will probably not make it into the story lines any time soon, but it is interesting to see how the residents of Jericho deal with the first real winter since D-Day.

And its great to see Jake start to deal with part of his past -admitting to his father about what happened to him in Iraq (killing a girl by mistake)...

Given enough time, I think their newly formed bond can, and should, develop into a good father-son relationship...

I just hope that they're given the chance...moreless

This is a great show. My compliments to the chef that cooks these episodes up.

By jwynne9595, Mar 27, 2007

The charactors are being developed more with each show, as the plot moves forward with crooks and turns demonstrating weaknesses, strengths and past secrets. In this episode we learn that Jake has had his turn in Iraq and has muffed it badly, as he reveals that he killed a little girl. This is a topic that I feel sure will be revisited. Is Hawkins a good guy or a bad guy? Who was responcible for the nuclear bombs? These questions are forcing the audience {me} to do a bit of thinking. This fact in itself should awaken critics revealing that the writers of Jericho are doing what they are supposed to do: stimulate, educate and entertain their audience. In short. this was a most enjoyable episode for me.moreless

Bit of Action, Character Development, sweet Mimi/Stanley moments.....

By Ol1vertwist, Mar 21, 2007

Good episode, not the best but keeps me watching.

This episode concentrates on Jake/Mimi/Stanley and Hawkins & Sara.

Jake/Mimi/Stanley: they go on a hunting trip as food is drastically running out, they find some bodies and realise that lots of people are fleeing the winter but are freezing along the way. The encounter a 'Baddies' truck which follows them and runs them off the road. Jake gets stuck under the truck and Stanley sprains his ankle leaving Mimi to make the long trip back to Jericho in the dark and cold night. There are some pivotal moments between Jake and Stan as Stan tries to keep Jake awake. Jake apologises for leaving so suddenly 5 years ago. Later when Jakes parents come to the rescue there are some moments between Jake and his dad where J explains he killed a 10 years old girl when he was in Iraq. My Greene understands and tells J he can always talk to him as he knows about being at War.

Hawkins/Sara: They take a trip to confront the Boss but instead find some info which looks like all the other agents have been killed and the Boss is after their families. Hawkins realises this is a trap to get him to give up the 'Package' he still has. He goes back to his family to tell them they have to move again. Mrs H says she does not trust Sara and we as an audience think she is against him too.... UNTIL.... OMG episode cliffhanger coming up.....

Sara approaches the Boss to give an update on H, he asks her why she hasn't found the Package and killed him yet, when she turns around and knocks him out, breaking his neck and saying 'Because he's different', looks like she still loves H or wants to work with him or something completely different, who knows.... will find out soon.moreless

A classic, I wish every episode was similar!

By alexlips, Mar 15, 2007

This second half of season 1 of Jericho is 10 times better than the first 11 episodes and we don't see much of the soap opera. I was thrilled not to see Dale, Eric and his lover in this episode. The show would be perfect without them and I guess thats why they are not showing them too much. This episode was really depressing as it is an extreme winter where you can die in just hours of being in the cold. I could have nearly cried after this really emotional episode. What truely made this one perfect is Jake telling us alot of his story and his father and him sharing a special bond and they both were crying. I really felt for Jake as he was freezing. Another major factor which I loved is the Robert Hawkins storyline. I hated his returned partner because she was not on his side but what happened in the last 30 seconds were unexpectful and brilliant. I am so glad that Robert and his wife share a special connection, I just hope that Sarah tells Robert everything so that everyone can trust everyone now!moreless

Load More Reviews