News Briefs: FX Is Taking a Stab at an American Psycho Sequel

By Tim Surette

Sep 11, 2013

THAT'S A VERY FINE CHARDONNAY YOU'RE DRINKING NEWS

... FX is taking a shot at another serial-killer drama, this time one that will center on someone you might be familiar with: Patrick Bateman. The network is attempting an updated version of the cult film American Psycho; the series will follow Bateman, now in his 50s, as he trains a new protege. At least it has a one million percent chance to be better than American Psycho 2! [EW]

BUSINESS TIME

... Sundance Channel, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite networks because I am so hoity-toity, has acquired the domestic broadcast rights to the French zombie drama series The Returned (Les Revenants). The eight-episode series aired in 2012 to critical acclaim and sounds pretty awesome: In a small rural town, a handful of people return from the dead and try to reintegrate with their families. It sounds more artsy than visceral, and its indie cred is boosted by a soundtrack from Scottish post-rockers Mogwai. The series will air in the U.S. starting Thursday, October 31 at 9pm. [Sundance Channel via press release]

... The CW isn't going all the way to Asia or Germany or wherever it is that France is located, it's just skipping up north for a new comedy. The network has acquired the domestic broadcast rights to Canadian comedy Seed, a half-hour series that follows a bachelor sperm donor who connects with a few of his "products" and their families. Seed will air later this season, and it will probably be paired with The CW's only other 30-minute show, Whose Line is it Anyway?. So, who out there has donated sperm? Tell your stories in the comments! (Just kidding, please don't.) [The CW via press release]

... Showtime is developing a pro-basketball drama with White Men Can't Jump and Bull Durham director Ron Shelton and several members of the Los Angeles Lakers family, including Kurt Rambis, Phil Jackson, Jeanie Buss, and Linda Rambis as producers. The series would follow the family-owners of a pro hoop squad, and it sounds like it might be at least sorta-biographical with the Buss family and the Lakers. Let's hope they include the fact that the Lakers can suck a fat one because MY Los Angeles Clippers run the town now. [Showtime via press release]

... TLC has renewed the genealogy series Who Do You Think You Are? for a second season (on TLC). The show switched to cable after NBC opted to ditch it and has averaged 1.8 million viewers since the move. The show features stars of genuine quality tracing their roots by shaking the family tree. [TLC via press release]

... Jeopardy! will celebrate its 30th anniversary this season, and to commemorate the milestone, the quiz show will invite several former contestants to return for an all-out war. Starting on Monday, September 16, the tournament featuring 45 contestants from the 1980s and later will start answering in the form of a question for a shot at one-million dollars. Fans can also vote via the Jeopardy website for one contestant per decade to return, . [Jeopardy! via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Icelandic whale serenaders Sigur Ros will be this season's musical guest on Game of Thrones, playing a secret role in the HBO fantasy series. Game of Thrones has previously booked members of Coldplay and Snow Patrol make small cameos, and commissioned indie rockers The National and The Hold Steady to record versions of songs that appear in the book series. I cried at a Sigur Ros concert once, true story! [EW]

... Starz's Outlander has added Duncan Lacroix to its cast. Outlander, from Ronald D. Moore, is a sci-fi romance following a WWII nurse who is warped back to the 1700s during the times of Scottish warriors. Lacroix will play the godfather to the main male lead, a Scottish bloke who's set to marry the time-traveling nurse. Lacroix was most recently seen in Primeval and Game of Thrones, but he was merely "Karstark soldier #2" in the latter. [Starz via press release] 

... D.B. Sweeney (The Cutting Edge always and forever) is joining ABC's sultry new drama Betrayal. The series stars Hannah Ware (Boss) as a photographer who starts an affair with a powerful attorney, but things get super complicated when he tries a high-profile case directly against her lawyer husband! Oops! Also, this show is terrible. [THR]

... Hey I missed this the other day because I am stupid, but Bruno Mars will be your halftime entertainment for this year's Super Bowl. I'm going to pretend that I know who Bruno Mars and say, "Hooray!" [New York Times]

YOU GOT PUNK'D NEWS

... You know that twerking fail video that hit the web last week like its pants were on fire? Well, the viral vid turned out to be a hoax from Jimmy Kimmel. We all got burned

R.I.P. NEWS

... All you longtime Los Angelenos out there will be sad to hear that Cal Worthington has passed away. Worthington was a mainstay on commercials in the Southland, adding a lot of flair to his used-car dealership ads with elephants, tigers, and lizards all posing as "his dog Spot." Worthington also made several trips to Johnny Carson's The Tonight Show. Go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal. I loved this guy. [LA Times]

• Comments (45)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • mrjimmyjames Sep 12, 2013

I would be only okay with the American Psycho sequel if the author of the book was involved. He was thinking of doing one in book form earlier this year but changed his mind. His early ideas were much different and more interesting. Patrick was supposed to be living in LA with his (now) gay brother and his victims would be celebrities. And if you're aware of "American Psycho 2000", which was part of a promotion of the movie allowed by the author, there are interesting aspects of that as well. In it, he's now married to his secretary (who's divorcing him) and talking to a shrink about how much he loves his son. It's a sequel but not really a sequel sort of thing. I think both of these ideas are much more interesting than him simply training an apprentice. Sounds to me like the concept is being dumbed down.

• Loooooooooooost Sep 12, 2013

I don't know if I donated any, but I know I have left a lot of... of, you were just joking. Never mind.

• Dirk13 Sep 11, 2013

It probably will be better than the non-cannon cash grab that was American Psycho too...minus an odd but intriguing appearance by William Shatner anyway...but the real question is, will it be anywhere near the quality more official sequel that was Rules Of Attraction?

Rules of Attraction was seriously one of the most underrated movies of all time. And leads me to think the Van Der Beek has loads of talent that Hollywood is foolishly ignoring. The one drawback of the film was that Patrick Bateman should have appeared for a scene like in the book. His scene was cut.

• JT_Kirk Sep 11, 2013

Moira Kelly and DB Sweeney in an ice skating movie where he's hockey and she's figure skating, how can you not be "always and forever"? (I spent my teen years working in a video store, we saw a lot of these things.)

I was so sad to learn Cal Worthington passed away that I spammed most of my friends and family with this:
    Cal Worthington has stood upon his head for the last time. Never more will his ears be turning red. 92 and probably as many dogs Spot. None of which were actual dogs.
    Also, it reminded me how much I missed seeing his ads during boring Saturday afternoons where the only thing to do was watch Tom Hatten's kid movies like "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" starring Pia Zadora. And my gal reminded me that as kids all of us thought "Go see Cal, go see Cal, go see Cal" was "pussy cow, pussy cow, pussy cow" (true story, bro).

• Joker62002 Sep 11, 2013

Wanna check out Les Revenants

• Kerkesh Sep 11, 2013

You will not regret watching Les Revenants from Canal + which is not a zombie series but just ressusitated people. It is absolutely brilliant on so many levels, really French movies at their best.

• paris_slim Sep 14, 2013

Am I crazy or did I see a British version of this show on already? Did the Brits dub it into English?

• paris_slim Sep 14, 2013

Oh, I see the answer in another thread. My bad!

• ted2332 Sep 11, 2013

Great acting and the storyline is fascinating, I downloaded it and had to watch it all over two nights to discover what the "secret" was.

• klotensen Sep 11, 2013

I turn into a homicidal maniac each time I have to listen to Sigur Ros.

• AndreaMcCooey Sep 11, 2013

I am so excited for you guys to watch Les Revenants!!! I watched it when it was on Channel 4 in the UK, and it absolutely killed me that I couldnt come on here and see what ye all thought of it. It is brilliant, the best thing I've watched in years, maybe ever, and I really hope ye all love it as much as I did! Cannot wait for S2 (probably only airing in France this time next year, boo.)

• tamaabi Sep 11, 2013

The Returned(Les Revenants) is absolutely not about zombies. It's... well I'll leave you to the surprise but it's amazing. AMAZING. Watch it.

• tamaabi Sep 11, 2013

(Note: if you want to *know* what it's about, I wrote it below in answer to another comment with big spoilers signs)

• No1Slayerette Sep 11, 2013

Never seen American Psycho, any good?

The Returned sounds awesome! And it's foreign! So despite it being a zombie drama, I can act like I'm all fancy because I watch it when it airs.

Will be interesting to see how Seed goes on The CW, they've been missing comedy for a while (thanks for that, Dawn Ostroff). I imagine this will be a massive test of the waters for them. I want it to go well, because I'm interested to see what younger-skewed comedies the network might produce in the future.

Wow, wasn't that a fascinating social experiment by Jimmy Kimmel? I had managed to avoid the video until now (watching a women accidently set herself on fire is not my sort of entertainment), but the fact that Kimmel 'produced' this video and it went viral really says a lot about the state of the internet/ entertainment of today.

• JT_Kirk Sep 11, 2013

American Psycho is shallow and immature about what it's saying, but it's stylish and makes a specific statement. The problem is that some guys take its messages to heart while missing the parody (not unlike Fight Club).

AP is a novel that I find most people rarely are able to understand exactly what it means (materialism & shallowness = phony society where no one cares and everyone is always empty).

• JT_Kirk Sep 12, 2013

Sorry, I forgot about that aspect, I meant only the movie, I haven't read the novel and couldn't judge it. And didn't even want to watch the movie, actually.

• See More Comments (15)