Joan of Arcadia

Show Reviews (116)

Great

The Ultimate Movie Review! -- @tss5078

By Tss50782625, Aug 10, 2014

Joan of Arcadia is an amazing show that didn't make it, because of bad marketing, and a bad time-slot. Think about this show, what do you know about it? A high school girl sees God and speaks to him, in his many different forms. That's it right? That's because that's how CBS choose to advertise this show, but it's so much more! Joan's father, Will (Joe Mantenga), is the Arcadia Chief of Police and there were many episode and background stories involving, crime, corruption, and the police. Her brother, Kevin (Jason Ritter), was in a horrible accident and is dealing with being paralyzed. That's just two of the many things about this show that you didn't know about. There are probably about ten other things I could mention, that could, alone, be the basis for a good TV show or film. Amber Tamblyn is amazing as Joan Girardi. Normally when you hear teen drama and young unknown cast, you expect the acting to be sub-par, but Tamblyn is exactly the opposite. She makes the show and gives energy and meaning to the other actors working with her. Take Chris Marquette, who plays her boyfriend, Adam Rove. I've seen him in many things and didn't like him. Working with Tamblyn makes all the difference for him here. He grows from a guest star into one of the most engaging and mysterious characters in the show! I cannot stress to you how good this show is and how it's so much more than what was advertised. There are so many stories and side angles, twists and turns, and while not a minor thing, Joan talking to God is not the focus of the show, many times it's just a scene or two, defiantly not the basis for the show. This show is the story of the Giardi family moving to a new location, following Kevin's accident, and dealing with all the struggles that come along with it and adolescents. It shows how there are still good people in this world, that not every teenager drinks, and while it sounds corny, watching it has actually cheered me up during some rough times I've had recently. It really is a great show and I can't possibly recommend it enough!moreless

Please bring it back

By winkyblink, Sep 13, 2013

I think the only reason why the ratings were low at the beginning is because they did not advertise it well, I mean about when the next season is out after the first season had finished. I miss it and would like it back and I see a lot of other people want the same.

Unnime

By TiagoNobre1, Aug 18, 2012

Olha, estou assistindo o seriado e apreciando demais! Todos meus amigos esto curtindo muito... Finalmente alguma coisa na TV para falar do ser humano como um todo! Muito bom...

Another Great Show before its time

By mindmalfunction, May 29, 2012

Time for a remake - this was a great show and would fit in with today's favourited genre.

Sequel to the last episode

By hduck1, Jan 03, 2012

I need a movie or book to follow the last episode of this series. An elaboration needs to be made to Joan's encounter with the evil character. Please!

I loved this episode... heck, I loved the show itself...

By peacejaw, Feb 01, 2009

I loved this episode, but I do wish that we could have seen some of the future for the family... like who Joan, Luke, and what's his name of a brother... actually marry? And what will happen to the brother in the wheelchair? Does he ever walk again? And will Joan & her friends be able to stop the guy who's starting all the fires.... especially before anyone gets seriously hurt? And will anyone but her close friends believe who is starting the fires?

We can only imagine what will happen, since the show's been cancelled, and has been for awhile now... and possibly even write some fanfiction/stories about the show itself, and all the character developments, etc...moreless

An excellent show exploring concepts of God and the connectivity we share with others without eluding specifically to any religious doctrine. Started off as a somewhat strange premise to me but grew on me rather quickly.

By ScarletPanda, Jun 17, 2008

I think that this show really endeared itself to me rather quickly despite my initial impressions of crossing a police drama with a spiritual teen drama. After a few episodes, it seemed that the production settled well into its premise and repeatedly foreshadowed ideas not expressed until later in the show. Though presenting at least 2 (?) religious approaches, the show did not connect itself to them at least from the prospective of a teen girl carrying on a relationship with God. Casting was great and each character really began to take on 3 dimensional aspects of their own. I sometimes disapproved of ultimate plots designed for at least two characters from the show but as a whole am glad to have watched it.

A strange deviation in concept planned for a 3rd season, it is truly a shame as I even still would have enjoyed seeing it. Personally, I cannot imagine how the new concepts would be approached...moreless

Who can I contact who has enough influence to get this show back on television?

By lheebner, Jun 05, 2008

I was devastated when this show went off the air. The show is entertaining as well as insightful. My family and I watched the show and we all loved it!!!!

I have NEVER taken the time to write about something like this. I was spurred to action after watching a Joan of Arcadia rerun. I think it was (and could be again) the best show on television. Why do networks cancel shows like Joan of Arcadia and continue to invent these ridiculous reality shows? Who cares who can eat worms or be picked as the most eligible bachelor? Give Joan of Arcadia a little advertising and hype and I really think the number of viewers will continually increase as they hear about it from friends and family. The world is changing and more and more people are moving from traditional religious thinking to a broader understanding of spirituality. I think this show can support this greater understanding and help the world to become a better place!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!moreless

Joan of Arcadia is just not the typical teenage drama,it's a masterpiece.

By martooo_m, Mar 30, 2008

One of the deepest shows television has ever had.It showed us the true emotions of life,showed us how hard the life is and that it is so hard to fit into it.The show has totally a hreatwarming note and tells us that the life is tough but there is always someone who can be good and who can help you.

Joan is young and confused teenager who can talk to God.It is controversial if the voice of God is just in her head.The show shows us how confused are the nowadays teenager and that the voice of God can be just some precaution for Joan.

Her life is tougher because of her family.Her older brother is paralysed and depressed.His story is one of the deepest of a paralyzed man I have watched on television.Every story of this series has something to say to everyone.The paralyzed boy storyline shows everyone that noone should loose their hope and to believe that wonders can happen.

Joan's younger brother is a jerk and tries to fit into the high school teen life.

Joan's father is, I don't remember clearly,something connected with the police and his job is hard enough to handle a family.

It's a great series that have been praised both by the viewers and the critics.It's surprising how a somehow teen oriented show is nominated for an Emmy for Outstanding Drama Series but it truly shows the series's potenitial.And the performance of Amber Tamblyn is one of the greatest I have seen in my life so far.She is also nominated for Emmy and Golden Globe.

A perfect series with great actors,characters and storylines.moreless

Load More Reviews