The Rising

Episode Reviews (5)

Superb

The Last John Doe Episode?

By chadlaneriley, Nov 23, 2011

When John Doe first came out, I wasn't really sure what to expect from it. After watching the first couple of episodes, I was hooked. Me and my Fiance would snuggle up on the couch, hanging on every episode. I will say it was a very original show, and very intense. Very seldom does a TV Show come along, that draws me in like that. I'm not going to lie, I wished Death On Fox, when I found out, they pulled the plug, on my Beloved John Doe. I am still filled with anger, towards The Fox Network, when John Doe comes to mind. What really upsets me, is they pump all that money into American Idol, which, I never watch, ever. Reality TV, Hello? Not looking to watch someone else live better than me. I like TV shows, that can help me forget about reality, even if it's only an hour. John Doe did that, it was suspenseful, and entertaining. Although I never learned about the order of The Phoenix, or who Digger was. Darn you Fox, a Thousand Curses on you......moreless

By kylesdad73, Aug 11, 2010

I think the powers that be at the Television company need to have their heads examined. They end the show with what could be a great run the next season, but no they had to go and put the stupid reality show American Idol on. What a bunch of morons. The last scene where John was on the floor with the woman and he looks up was a great scene, its to bad that the show was given up on like many others like it.

I knew that the lady on the ferry was connected to Doe, I was thinking his significant other thats why they kept her around to get to John Doe. I knew Digger was up to something because after Karens abduction that person in Diggers bar was sitting there unoticed while they watched him going nuts trying to locate her.

Who do I write to bring back the series?moreless

A great way to end the series and a great way to end the show. While annoying that the series is no more the episode was very well done.

By ashman2, Jun 17, 2006

This epsiode, like the one where the police station is taken hostage, is directed exceptionally well. From the get go you knew there was something fishy about Digger, especially with his knowledge of a spy satellite being masked with a weather satellite, but you never could quite put your finger on how wicked he was. For him to be quite influential within the Phoenix group is brilliant.

The questions you\\\'re left with at the end of the episode are along the lines of, how will the gang proceed without Digga? Will it raise suspicions about other members of the gang? How will John continue with Theresa, will he keep the name John Doe or take up his original name? What will happen with the sceptre, will the show move abroad to chart the trail of the sceptre and what possible insights into the character of John Doe will we learn?

As it is, we\\\'ll never know the answers but the series did end on both a good and a bad point. John found Theresa but found an enemy at the same time. It\'s annoying the show got cancelled, but it was a good way to leave the series because it left you desiring the answers to questions without being wholly obsessed with the possible answers.moreless

Last ever episode of JohnDoe continues but never concludes the overall ,"Who am I? Where do I Fit into This Conspiracy?" story-arc and leaves only a taster for further proposed Season2 plots.Disappointing & not enough answered questions.

By nrog, May 30, 2006

A John Doe Phoenix-centric story-arc Episode; also involving Sam the Mysterious NSA Government-man (who becomes very prominent in this episode),the Trench coat Man (who is captured) ,Teresa (who is the Psychic Damsel in Distress),Michael(the Further the Plot Device Man.)and Digger (who declares his undying help and comradery to JD).

The remaining series characters Frank (nice moustache)and Lieutenant Avery play only filler rolls in this episode ,they provide JD with a plot link in the form of a Gruesomely Horribly Mutilated Body found under power-lines in a ditch and not much plot substance thereafter (Jez,thanks to the Writers JD can only see in B/W).

In my opinion this episode should have been combined with the previous episode, Remote Control, concluding with the rather unsatisfactory cliff-hanger, leaving the way open for a precursor Season 2,"Quest for the Holy Relic & My Destiny as a Messianic Chosen One/Matrix Computer Clone" type episode before going off-air for its hiatus.

The Government Conspiracy element rears its head in the form of Sam the G-man as John and Digger uncover him spying on them and the recently rescued Michael from the burning Seneca Institute. Similar plot lines involving (old abandoned) Government Black OPs Projects (containing Psychics), resurrected for terrorist/criminal means are much more ably handled on TV by the likes of the XFiles and Alias. This episode leaves us with a sense of,"too late & not enough", which only hints and does not answer enough questions brought up in this and previous episodes.

Can Sam be trusted? Well, yes and no .We are given the cliché,"I work for a (secret) subdivision of a government organization (Nsa)" which envelopes, controls and structures Sam and how he can interact with John Doe. When JD and Sam just happen to capture the rather security sloppy Trench Coat Man, they enter into an uneasy truce.

Sam keeps hinting that HE would like JD to join his NSA department, giving me the impression that he wants JD to become a SPY and use his civilian life just as a cover.Hmmm.

JD to ditch the cops and become a globe trotting spy maybe?

Sam introduces him to an old colleague of his (more BLACK Ops) and JD is classified as Category 1 Receiver in Remote Viewing.

The Mad Software Scientist Moretti element is covered in episode, Save AS John Doe, and is eluded to here on a few occasions’ .More mystery or red herrings? An answer

or is it a psychic wifi link to John Doe's hard drive

in his head?

Who Knows?

The Terrorist/Mystic element is handled by the appearances of the Trench Coat Man and the Stocking-Cap Man. Trench Coat Man, who for someone who has JD watched constantly (oh, by someone very close it is revealed) has become rather sloppy with his own personal security, is captured and is used to Recap on plot-line information (for those of us who fell asleep and missed the meager morsels peppered in the Season story-arc) and to deliver a New Plot Device.

Wow! Mega! Yawn! Super Villains, Super Powers anyone?

The Phoenix Group, led by the mysterious Stocking-Cap Man (do we know him/her?), have found the location of the mysterious, Phoenix Staff, the mystic relic, that they have long been searching for, at the Vatican of all places.

Not at a yard sale or on loan to a museum ...no?

Hmm, new locations not in the Pine swept North North American Continent.

Did the network pull the plug because of this, too expensive even for the stock footage? Could the series have gotten the chop because of this? :)

JD has painful visions and subsequently finds out they are psychic messages from Michael and Teresa. Michael and Teresa are woefully under used in this episode (you cannot do much acting constantly strapped into a chair ,I must add) and alas Michael uses up all his own plot points after giving JD his psychic road map clues. Teresa, the potential next season love interest, just screams a lot once freed.

Which leads me to the love interest part; the workaholic cop Lt Avery, the attractive geeky overlooked Stella, that British brain scientist Rachael and the not often glimpsed Teresa make for an intriguing lottery of potential

"Who gets John Does virgin troubled heart?" scenarios. Alas we will never know who gets that winning lottery ticket, Boohoo! For someone who knows nearly everything, John Doe really is not up to scratch when it comes to That Love Thing concept. If anyone is thinking why I left Karen out of the equation ...A) she was murdered (which would have made Anyone’s blood boil and scream for revenge!?!) and B) the father/daughter relationship was there and well ...cannot be tampered with. You can also leave Frank (nice moustache and nice jacket) and Pauline (intelligent computer vixen) out as well.

On the whole, Season1 of John Doe was okay, intriguing to begin with, losing its way early on, and then going back on track a few times with its sub plots but not its main stories. It felt like it was trying to find its purpose too often than not without getting too complicated (which I am sure is a Network hang-up,"This material must not be too complicated, it must appeal to the John & Jane Does out there in our demographic audience, who dip in and out of the TV schedules like children picking their noses....."Etc.

Questions? Answers? Clones? Brother of...? Digger ? Rubber Mask? Maybe I will watch more Alias Xfiles et al...

Read the summary for my concise view of this episode....

Now, anyone got the scripts for Season2 under their beds???

I would really like to know what happens next...

Your wish is my command.........................

(Link added by Terracotta -with writers permission.)

www.twiztv.com/news/archives/johndoe.htmlmoreless