John from Cincinnati

Show Reviews (36)

Great

John from Cincinatti was a series that had potential.

By LRoddiNY6812, Jul 11, 2010

As with Deadwood, which I actually liked, I was unable to grow a bigger interest that would have enabled me to remember to watch every Sunday. I was there, after The Sopranos finale aired (which people blame for John's decreased ratings), to watch John from Cincinatti.

At first, I thought that it was a decent series, although I expected a lot more. I found the cast and characters to be excellent and the writing to be, somewhat, above mediocre. I really enjoyed John's character but I stuck with him until episode three. Believe me, I really wanted to watch (after previews of John meeting thugs). But, I just could not remember that week and that inevitably made me forget the series entirely.

I thought this series would become another "smash hit" by HBO (all those previews before it premiered). I am very disappointed with HBO in cancelling this series. The final episode (which I have not viewed) drew over three million viewers, more than some episodes of Deadwood, and Deadwood was very expensive, and I'm sure John from Cincinatti isn't that expensive to produce. This time, I'll remember to buy the DVD. John from Cincinatti is another example of HBO's waning "glory days". I apologize, John.moreless

Save JFC Postcard Campaign

By SaveJFC, Jul 11, 2010

I really like "John From Cincinnati" and want to do everything I can to try to get a second season. So, along with some other devoted fans, we are starting an postcard campaign.

The postcard campaign is being hosted by TheSnugHarborMotel.com at:

Here you can vote for your favorite postcard design and learn more about how to contribute. We are working with an environmentally friendly printer who will print and mail the postcards for us. You can also help by making a donation at PayPal.com to SaveJFC@greenpostcards.com

Also, feel free to come by TheSnug and join in the discussion. We learn so much from each other! See you there.moreless

A very wordy show that confuses but entertains

By AegisAtreyu, Jan 19, 2009

Set in a surfing community and around the Yost family, their friends and colleagues, this is an odd show. It seems to be about a Jesus figure intersecting into their lives (not that it's apparent straight off) showing them miracles and making them float. It's main problem however is that the characters spurt a load of words that aren't straight to the point and sometimes very cryptic. I had a hard time understanding what characters were getting at, what was this dialogue about. Other hurdles consist of excessive swearing (especially by Sissy who needs anger management) and a teenage kid that can't act.

Despite these faults if you stick with it, it's an entertaining show, and you'll gradually sink into the very simple story as it unfolds and more characters come into play. The character of John himself is an odd character who at first just seems mentally disabled to everyone but in fact is more than that. His babbling only makes sense in portions and is mainly copied from other characters words, that's until he starts mentioning his Father's word of course.

The other characters are all oddballs themselves but learn to appreciate one another with John around. You also get Cromartie from the Terminator TV series pop up here as a Doctor, one of the straighter characters. And in all honesty that is what this show is all about, Character, and if you can't get on with this characters its probably not for you.

Final note, the music they chose for the show is kick ass - the main theme tune in particular I wouldn't mind owning. In fact I wouldn't mind owning the full soundtrack album if they licence it for release.moreless

Drama about a dysfunctional Southern California family galvanized by the sudden arrival of two strangers. In Imperial Beach, California, the dysfunctional Yost family intersects with two new arrivals to the community.

By KAF17, Sep 14, 2008

This series was crazy, funny and very cool to watch. I loved watching this series but I guess they didn't plan to air it for long or the ratings wasn't that good because it last for about one season. But it was good while it lasted. To anyone who go looking for this series good luck but I suggest you try the network who created and air the series first. I'm glad I watch this series because it helped me when I was bored or just waiting for something else to come on. Can't wait until the next new series from the network that aired this one.moreless

The people if Imperial Beach find their very lives changing with the arrival of John from Cincinnati.

By mpvt, Aug 07, 2007

A show that makes the viewer stop and think.For the intellectual.

What the show is trying to say or do in my opinion is that there are things in life that are beyond our control and that if we all come together we can solve alot of problems.

There is so much going on in this show that you have to have watched it from episode #1 otherwise you'll be lost or turned off very quickly.

Exellent acting all around and of course exellent writing from Milch,Nunn,Mann and the rest of the writing staff.!!!!

This is a show unlike anything else on tv so be prepared to get hooked on this one.......Davemoreless

This is the worst show I've seen in many years.

By Valthurg, Aug 07, 2007

I've watched most of this season trying very hard to give this show a fair chance. The show has a fantastic cast of actors but the writing, character development and story are just plain horrible. Most of it just doesn't make any sense. Mitch floating in the air, Bill having conversations with his bird, a bird who has the ability to heal, the whole John character...I could go on and on. I've watched it and tried to like it or make sense of it but it's just too ridiculous. Then there are characters like Cissy Yost, that are so annoying I want to push mute when she comes on because she's always in a rage yelling about something. If ever there were a show screaming for cancellation it's this one. My hope is that Shaun will soon be gone for good.moreless

Fabulously Lynchian!

By cheebalicious, Aug 03, 2007

I wasn't sure I'd want anything to do with a show about surfing. Thankfully, this show is about so much more -- though I'm not entirely sure what it *is* about. But I don't care! I haven't enjoyed a mindf*ck this thoroughly since Twin Peaks first season. Characters die or nearly die, then come back to life. A former cop receives messages from a telepathic conure which may or may not be partially responsible. Another character levitates for no apparent reason. The titular character, with an apparent case of echolalia, all but defies description. This is a thoroughly enjoyable hour of refreshingly original television, and I can't wait to watch it all unfold every week.moreless

I don't get it but I can't stop watching it!

By Shieldzer, Jul 24, 2007

I've watched this from the start but I am totally confused. The Show is Pointless, weird and the woman Cissy, mother of the Yost family is a very bad actor among other very bad actors. I'll be suprised if she ever works again after this show.

Even with all the bad acting its probable because its so original and i've never seen anything like it before that I keep watching or maybe I just like to see self distruction.

You have to watch at least one episode yourself, don't worry if you don't get it, you still wouldn't even if you had been watching it from the start.moreless

Very Addictive

By james_cfi, Jul 21, 2007

John From Cincinnati is a show for one who loves to explore one's own mind. There in lies the entertainment. To see how deep and in how many ways the mind can think. Beneath the rough shell the characters present the audience lies an eloquent universe of human interaction. How will this supernatural being (John) cure our troubles?

Load More Reviews