Jonny Quest

Show Reviews (11)

Great

They traveled the world, look out! a kid might have learned something from this cartoon.

By mapledrum99, May 02, 2010

With only 26 episodes, something went wrong in the top office, either it was too smart or somebody at Hanna Barbera didn't like all the gun action, and people actually got killed in this cartoon, they did not come back with only gun powder on their face.

As well as Race Bannon and his girlfriends, as if kids never seen such things in the 1960's,... but maybe not in cartoons. It was meant for 8-12 year olds? maybe to many 5 year olds watched, yeah, they might have learned something. Nothing they never seen before on TV, as if they didn't watch Westerns. The adventures of "Jonny Quest" was yanked after one season. 1964-1965.

Rumors are they may have went over budget. But did not realize just how good of a cartoon they had until 3 years later.

Whatever the reason, this show shoulda had a 4 year run. 90 to 100 episodes would have been great.

It still stands the test of time.moreless

Action adventure series.

By earthpeople, Jun 12, 2008

Wow. I picked up the first (only?) season on DVD last week, and it left me stunned. "Jonny Quest" takes elements of scifi, horror and action/adventure, combining them into a very effective blend that is, by turns, thrilling, scary and funny. With its jazz score and scientific gadgets, it has the feel of a James Bond movie. And the menaces the main characters confront are awesome: a robot spy, a creature from the bottom of the sea, a twisted scientist as brilliant as Jonny's father, a living mass of energy. The animation is well-done and miles ahead of anything else Hanna-Barbera did at the time (such as "Space Ghost" and "Herculoids"). The writing is strong, the central characters--Dr. Quest, Jonny, Hadji and Race--are likable, and there isn't a single episode that fails to entertain.moreless

Dr. Benton Quest, with his son Johnny. Race Bannon Government bodyguard/teacher for Johnny and Haji an adopted boy from India, and their many adventures together.

By cornelius40, Apr 24, 2008

I watched this so much. It was the greatest action adventure show in animation bar-none. How many shows were trying things from popular science in it's day? A single father raising a son, just wasn't done in animation. Adopting a boy from a country like India added to a phonominal show. The innovations this show introduced were staggering. To show that people actually died in an animation show was just unbelievable. It seems to me they might have been pressured by someone to cancel the show. Too many innovations. Jealous executives, maybe? How about the innovations making someone just a little bit nervous in Washington? You never know. It was a show before it's time, most definatly.moreless

What else could be said..........

By koberfan, Jul 15, 2007

I loved this show on reruns as a child. The adventure sequences are fabulous. The sociological make-up of the show did not hit me until later. It was, without a doubt, way ahead of its time. Multi-cultural and modern family type situation. The storylines, with the supernatural element, were great too. This series was a serious "Scooby Doo". Some comedy, but more interesting character developement. Good animation for the 1960s and excellent view on an attempt at social value alteration. This series was not on the air very long and that was a real shame. Given a bit longer, it might have become the hit it should have been.moreless

Classic. Timeless. The difference was clear: treat the viewer with dignity and intelligence. The newer cartoons do not allow the viewer to think, they spell your only options out for you. Assumes you are not intelligent, even if only a five year old.

By IowaCzech, May 15, 2007

This cartoon, my favorite children's show only to Land of the Lost and Fractured Fairy Tales, was so real. It wasn't really a cartoon, but an animated movie of sorts. The stories were believable. Okay maybe far fetched, if you did not live near swamps and fly a jet or helicopter, and then there were the mummies....but at least Bandit did not speak English (Scooby, ahem). I enjoyed it, I think as the only girl in my town, as a "Nancy Drew" type storyline come to life. It was the mystery. And reality. There were no coloured blobs for characters, no talking cars, no animals that wore clothes....It was real to me. Even if only for that half hour. The plot let you decide what you would do, and what the consequences would be, and you hoped it was correct!! To allow children in a cartoon to have control over their decisions & not be barked at by the adults in the background---that is what is instrumental for many kids. It allowed children to be equals on the same playing field with the adults, as well as make decisions that they ultimately could be held accountable for. Empowerment at it's best!!moreless

This was another classic Hanna - Barbera cartoon from the 1960's.

By LostShield, Jun 27, 2006

Another classic Hanna - Barbera cartoon from the 1960's. A scientist named Dr. Quest kind of travels around try to help out. His son Jonny and his good buddy Hadji always seemd to find trouble. Dr. Quest and his partner Race Bannon would bail them out. Jonny also had a dog named Bandit that was a fun part of the show. They had some really cool vehicles like hover crafts and such. This was very similar to Frankenstein Jr. and those other types of H B Shows. This one was about as good as any of their shows and of course was followed by contorversy over the violence.moreless

What a kids cartoon should be.

By CommanderBalok, May 26, 2006

Sure, the science was often dodgy but the show\'s heart was in the right place: education. It tried to show the importance of learning and the value of knowledge, for usually knowledge was what saved the day. Compare that to many of the half-hour long advertisements served to today\'s childen.

The animation quality was generally very good and the show offered an interesting mix of characters. The \"star\" Jonny Quest always had an important role in the episode but he did not do everything himself. Rather than grouping for the sake of grouping, the show demonstrated that a successful team was made of individually strong members who complemented each others\' skills.

Kids could learn a lot from this series, and so could adults.moreless

Take a gander at the main page ;)

By roguele_beau, Mar 01, 2006

I would never classify this show as a favorite of mine but I must admit that when ever I run across a rerun, I can't resist stopping to watch. As a hopeless romantic, I kept waiting for Johnny to declare his undying passion for Jessie, but no such luck. So I contented myself writing endless fanfics... so I guess the show could be called 'inspirational'

I have the show on DVD and wish that they would show some more.

By Turdfurguson014, Feb 02, 2006

I miss this show and wish that it was still on the air. I have the DVDs and watch them alot. The best episode was the yetti. I liked both the old one and the newer one but I did take a liking more to the older one. I miss it so much and pray that one day they will bring it back.

By hollatruth, Jul 24, 2005

This was always a great show when I was little. One of my top three all time favorites. It took me on an adventure every day, and I hated missing any little bit of an episode. Quest World was a spectacular sight everytime since it was computer animated rather than hand drawn. When I was little, Jonny Quest was something that I always wanted to play with my friends (and I had to be Jonny). I haven't seen the show in a long time, but I know that you couldn't go wrong in going back to watch it again by buying the episodes from a store.moreless

Load More Reviews