JPod

Show Reviews (8)

Good
7.9

Jpod=cult classic

Sadly for some reason CBC refuses to see this is a great show/product when most of the stuff they make is boring trash.

www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2008/03/07/cbc-renewals.html voices the peoples outrage for the show being cut

By BrainiacMM, Jun 21, 2008

So as for the review...

Well jpod is a smart sexy mix of That 70s show/The IT crowd/entourage like feeling. Why the CBC would cannibalize there own product when it is of a quality far surpassing all of there other content i will never understand. It is like what the automotive industry did to the electric car. Which is why everyone should really watch "Who Killed The.Electric Car". How crap like the border n such are renewed when this is not i will never be able to understand. It really blows the mind...

Anyway back to why Jpod is so great. This is because the series is not the same crap force feed to the sheep masses by the sh!t tones. Lawyer this doctor that and lets not forget the cops. Instead of doing the same thing over and over again this show does what Dexter/psych/the Tudors does and shows what original programing can achieve. Smart funny witty sexy hilarious i could go on and on forever...

However instead of my view lets see what the vast majority of the people posting on the CBC site said. Here are some excerpts. LauraHalliday wrote:

jPod was fun. Quirky. Differnt. Messing with time slots is always a good way to kill a show.

Brian303 wrote:

I just created an accont on CBC's website to lament the cancellation of jPod. It's the only show I care about on TV and I'm frustrated that my tax dollars will be used to fund fearmongering drivel like The Border and other homogenized tripe on the CBC.

AnthonyTsui wrote:

The writing was so much funnier than other programs that are returning (*little mosque*), I really had high hopes for little mosque, but it just wasn't good.

Djinn_PAWN wrote:

jPod cancelled? How unfortunate. I'm not really sure how you gather your 'accurate' ratings for shows but my household, and my friend's households made an effort to watch jPod every week. Not on-line, or recorded, but as soon as it hit the CBC's airwaves. We are that excited about the show. (((( Yes ratings thats what is important even tho they are not really accurate)))))

AndrewL wrote:

I want to you thank you CBC...

Thanks for canceling one of the last two shows I actually still watch on television: jPod.

Thanks for demonstrating that modern, intelligent, witty, Canadian-created comedies have no place on a television station that gobbles up my tax dollars.

Raven119 wrote:

As a 40-something myself, I thoroughly enjoy jPod. When I first heard back in early 2007 that the novel was going to be made into a series, I could hardly wait for the first episode. RobOrszulik wrote:

Once again the CBC has seen fit to cancel inventive, creative and edgy televsion series like jPod and Intelligence, and kept the bland, formulaic, post-9/11-its-all-about-security The Border. I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

jPod Mama wrote:

I have had a sick feeling in my stomach ever since CBC announced the cancellation of jPod. So much so, I have decided to sign up and let you know what a horrendous mistake the CBC is making!

I have 4 kids, and my time is valuable, television is not a top priority for me and if I am going to invest my time to watch a show, it has to be great - and jPod is brilliant! What were the "Powers that Be" at the CBC thinking when they decided to not renew the best show CBC has rolled out since, well, I can't even remember? And it goes on and on forever. It is funny that the CBC seems to have reset the Peoplerecommendedthis per comments down to a fraction of what they used to be. Some comments had 200-300 Peoplerecommendedthis thumbs up. Tho maybe the cbc system uncounts them i donno... As for the show watch it online at cbc and there is other ways to download it as well (ITunes etc)

ALSO CHECK OUT http://savejpod.ca/and search cbc.ca for jpod to see find the artical that renews pure crap and cancels greatness for many many many more comments about how great Jpod was :*( Here are 20 Reasons to Save jPod - Pictures(at savejpod.ca) * Reason #1: Awesome Fans * Reason #2: Distinctively Canadian * Reason #3: Kam Fong * Reason #4: Internet Audience * Reason #5: Word of Mouth * Reason #6: Younger Viewers * Reason #7: The Novel * Reason #8: Relevant * Reason #9: Humour * Reason #10: More Appropriate Timeslot * Reason #11: Online Advertising * Reason #12: DVD Sales * Reason #13: New Viewers * Reason #14: International Exposure * Reason #15: 15 LEO Nominations * Reason #16: There's Nothing Else Like It * Reason #17: Creative Genius * Reason #18: Canadian Culture * Reason #19: Douglas Coupland * Reason #20: Podsters

DAMN U CBC! LONG LIVE KAM FONGmoreless

A boat carrying a pile of money just left CBC's harbor and set sale for obscurity. Good job Ceeb.

By alp1981, Jun 13, 2008

The greatest crime in the history of Canada is probably the whole Robert Picton fiasco followed by the Paul Bernardo mess. But the cancellation of jPod is probably pretty low on the list... But a crime nonetheless.

I can't think of another show on any network on the planet that sums up the folks straddling the X and Y Generational lines better than jPod. There's literally nothing on television to compare it to. In the literary word you can compare it to the works of the man himself, Douglas Coupland along with his contemporaries Chuck Palahniuk and Max Berry.

CBC missed the money train on this one because this is the first show that transcended television. Not only was it a modest hit on CBC (of which the audience grew week to week) but it was a huge hit on the web. People from around the globe were downloading this off of file sharing sites and really digging it. You can make a strong argument that jPod was indeed the first true international hit show. Think of the profit margins. Think of the evolutionary possibilities.

Onto the show. It's the wittiest thing on TV by a league or two and it has such an incredible cast of which there is no Lisa Simpson (ie weak link). The acting can be kind of cardboard like at times but show me a show that doesn't have those moments in the first season. Fantastic, just amazing. 10/10.moreless

A bunch of programmers whose surnames start with the letter "J" are put into the "jpod" group to design games at whatever the name of the game company.

By Crowy, Mar 20, 2008

Great idea, really really bad execution. I was constantly thinking what's on the other channels. I got to the end of episode 2, somehow, but original thought stuck nice concept, bad performance.

Main Character's household:

-Mum professional Horticulturist -> growing weed

-Father supposed ex great ballroom dance turned actor want-a-be -> can't keep his dick in his pants

-Brother Real estate Agent/Developer/etc helps trading in people (Chinese boat people)

The Workplace

Ethan Jarlewski - Main Character

Brianna "Bree" Jyang - Token unwanted daughter in Asian family "Why couldn't you have been a boy"

Casper "Cowboy" Jesperson - Sex Crazed maniac

John Doe - Had his name changed recently to become statistically average due to growing up in a lesbian commune

Kaitlin Joyce - Ex Overweight high school drop out mum, who worked for Applemoreless

Set in 2005, the show revolves around a group of video game programmers whose last names all begin with "J". They live and work in a development "pod", which they refer to as the "JPod", within a company that resembles Electronic Arts.

By twopratt, Feb 03, 2008

The only reason I originally heard about J-pod was through several forums talking about future Canadian shows. Looking for something different from the unsual dross that we are served, I tuned in to see what was what and boy, am I glad I did.

The quirky nature of this show will not appeal to everyone but people with a broad sense of humour will really enjoy this. The premise is unique in itself and as the show progress I look forward to seeing just what menanderings all the characters get up to.

Even though the show is titled Jpod, the show similarly focuses on the Jarlewski family. Its is these scenes that really make the show for me. C'mon, who not going to find funny a family whos mum (Sherry Miller) is a pot dealer who at the same time, thinks family values are important. A dad (Alan Thicke) who was an ex-ballroom dancing champion who now is an acting with a wandering eye. A brother who is a real estate agent but in hos spare time, likes to dable in chinesse orginized crime and finally the main character, Ethan (David Kopp), a video game programer who tries to keep everything together.

This is a very enjoyable show and one that is highly recommened.moreless

About a guy and his job in the "Jpod" - the basement of a building in a company that deals with making video games. Not much work gets done in the jpod as it seems, but that's why the shenanigans ensue.

By ginoman1, Jan 16, 2008

Throw in a truly dysfunctional family (murder, drug trafficking, cheating) and you have a setting for a totally different and fresh tv show. Think of it like "Weeds" with a Canadian twist, getting into some crazy situations and acting like it is the norm. It's got a great cast (remember the father from Growing Pains, ya he's the father here..but a lot different from Papa Seaver you remember!)The first episode wasn't all that great, but the premise is so wonderful that I'll continue watching to see if they can squeeze the potential out of this thing! In my opinion, worth another look!moreless

Althoung, some people might find this show kinda boring and "scary" because of is kind of "edgeness", they probably dont know how good the book was...

By DoomNuken, Jan 12, 2008

...personally, i loved the book, original and very funny. All the situatiions where well made acording to this ever fast world where tecnology doesnt wait for any one, and the real world is still out there where the danger and peril allways trys to enter the secure and warm jPod.

Every people, in some way, may relate to every carcater on the small refuge, even the boss is the all comon and allways faithfull boss that thinks that everything is possible...

...about the first episode, i think that they nailled in almost all the actors, but with time, they all will be correctly judged. Its like every new series, it takes time to get a real judgment.moreless

A bunch of programmers whose surnames start with the letter "J" are put into the "jpod" group to design games at whatever the name of the game company is (which is apparently a stand in for Electronic Arts).

By King_Skull, Jan 11, 2008

I don't know what is worse: Alan Thicke's lifted and botoxed face or the painfully unfunny writing. The jokes and old and unoriginal. The plot is uninteresting. The obvious attempts at make this show seem "edgy" through death and drugs are about as edgy as your dad cutting his hair into a faux-hawk. The acting is stilted and no one's ever heard of comic timing. The premise might have seemed cool when the internet was first invented.

The main character's zany parents are particularly noteworthy. Wow. A mom who grows pot and a dad (played by a plasticine Alan Thicke) going through a midlife crisis who bangs chicks his sons age. And the jokes. Crossword puzzle jokes? Subway diet jokes? Really? Wow. How original. I wish I was filled with such wit. In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic.

If you want to watch a funny show about game programmers, go watch Code Monkeys. This is just painful.

I haven't read the book this show is based on, but I definitely want to now. I gotta know if it's as god-awful as this show. My guess, it couldn't possibly be. No way in hell.moreless