JPod

Show Reviews (8)

Good
7.9

A boat carrying a pile of money just left CBC's harbor and set sale for obscurity. Good job Ceeb.

By alp1981, Jun 13, 2008

The greatest crime in the history of Canada is probably the whole Robert Picton fiasco followed by the Paul Bernardo mess. But the cancellation of jPod is probably pretty low on the list... But a crime nonetheless.

I can't think of another show on any network on the planet that sums up the folks straddling the X and Y Generational lines better than jPod. There's literally nothing on television to compare it to. In the literary word you can compare it to the works of the man himself, Douglas Coupland along with his contemporaries Chuck Palahniuk and Max Berry.

CBC missed the money train on this one because this is the first show that transcended television. Not only was it a modest hit on CBC (of which the audience grew week to week) but it was a huge hit on the web. People from around the globe were downloading this off of file sharing sites and really digging it. You can make a strong argument that jPod was indeed the first true international hit show. Think of the profit margins. Think of the evolutionary possibilities.

Onto the show. It's the wittiest thing on TV by a league or two and it has such an incredible cast of which there is no Lisa Simpson (ie weak link). The acting can be kind of cardboard like at times but show me a show that doesn't have those moments in the first season. Fantastic, just amazing. 10/10.moreless

JPod follows a group of game programmers whose all last names begin with the letter "J" and the way they live their lives in the pod as well as out.

By kam760, Apr 09, 2008

JPod is a new quirky Canadian show that took me by surprise. It is loosely based on the book "JPod" by Dougland Coupland. By loosely, I mean the characters and their personality, and the rare bits of story line that are transposed from the book.

The comedic TV series has an original feel to it, a certain edge that hooks you in and doesn't let go until you find yourself counting the seconds til the next episode starts. Backgrounds of characters such as being raised in a lesbian commune, or one's mother growing weed give the show its quirky, yet somehow realistic feel. The characters are vivid and well portrayed and of course there are some clich├ęs such as, " boy falls for new girl". However characters like Kam Fong ( a Chinese smuggler) and Jim Jarlewski ( a washed up actor but an avid ball-room dancer) really bring this show to life and make the side plots as, or even more, interesting than the main plot. Overall JPod is a nice new show that will keep you entertained once a week, and will inevitably end up with you starting to read the book, just as I am!moreless

A bunch of programmers whose surnames start with the letter "J" are put into the "jpod" group to design games at whatever the name of the game company.

By Crowy, Mar 20, 2008

Great idea, really really bad execution. I was constantly thinking what's on the other channels. I got to the end of episode 2, somehow, but original thought stuck nice concept, bad performance.

Main Character's household:

-Mum professional Horticulturist -> growing weed

-Father supposed ex great ballroom dance turned actor want-a-be -> can't keep his dick in his pants

-Brother Real estate Agent/Developer/etc helps trading in people (Chinese boat people)

The Workplace

Ethan Jarlewski - Main Character

Brianna "Bree" Jyang - Token unwanted daughter in Asian family "Why couldn't you have been a boy"

Casper "Cowboy" Jesperson - Sex Crazed maniac

John Doe - Had his name changed recently to become statistically average due to growing up in a lesbian commune

Kaitlin Joyce - Ex Overweight high school drop out mum, who worked for Applemoreless

Set in 2005, the show revolves around a group of video game programmers whose last names all begin with "J". They live and work in a development "pod", which they refer to as the "JPod", within a company that resembles Electronic Arts.

By twopratt, Feb 03, 2008

The only reason I originally heard about J-pod was through several forums talking about future Canadian shows. Looking for something different from the unsual dross that we are served, I tuned in to see what was what and boy, am I glad I did.

The quirky nature of this show will not appeal to everyone but people with a broad sense of humour will really enjoy this. The premise is unique in itself and as the show progress I look forward to seeing just what menanderings all the characters get up to.

Even though the show is titled Jpod, the show similarly focuses on the Jarlewski family. Its is these scenes that really make the show for me. C'mon, who not going to find funny a family whos mum (Sherry Miller) is a pot dealer who at the same time, thinks family values are important. A dad (Alan Thicke) who was an ex-ballroom dancing champion who now is an acting with a wandering eye. A brother who is a real estate agent but in hos spare time, likes to dable in chinesse orginized crime and finally the main character, Ethan (David Kopp), a video game programer who tries to keep everything together.

This is a very enjoyable show and one that is highly recommened.moreless

About a guy and his job in the "Jpod" - the basement of a building in a company that deals with making video games. Not much work gets done in the jpod as it seems, but that's why the shenanigans ensue.

By ginoman1, Jan 16, 2008

Throw in a truly dysfunctional family (murder, drug trafficking, cheating) and you have a setting for a totally different and fresh tv show. Think of it like "Weeds" with a Canadian twist, getting into some crazy situations and acting like it is the norm. It's got a great cast (remember the father from Growing Pains, ya he's the father here..but a lot different from Papa Seaver you remember!)The first episode wasn't all that great, but the premise is so wonderful that I'll continue watching to see if they can squeeze the potential out of this thing! In my opinion, worth another look!moreless

Althoung, some people might find this show kinda boring and "scary" because of is kind of "edgeness", they probably dont know how good the book was...

By DoomNuken, Jan 12, 2008

...personally, i loved the book, original and very funny. All the situatiions where well made acording to this ever fast world where tecnology doesnt wait for any one, and the real world is still out there where the danger and peril allways trys to enter the secure and warm jPod.

Every people, in some way, may relate to every carcater on the small refuge, even the boss is the all comon and allways faithfull boss that thinks that everything is possible...

...about the first episode, i think that they nailled in almost all the actors, but with time, they all will be correctly judged. Its like every new series, it takes time to get a real judgment.moreless

A bunch of programmers whose surnames start with the letter "J" are put into the "jpod" group to design games at whatever the name of the game company is (which is apparently a stand in for Electronic Arts).

By King_Skull, Jan 11, 2008

I don't know what is worse: Alan Thicke's lifted and botoxed face or the painfully unfunny writing. The jokes and old and unoriginal. The plot is uninteresting. The obvious attempts at make this show seem "edgy" through death and drugs are about as edgy as your dad cutting his hair into a faux-hawk. The acting is stilted and no one's ever heard of comic timing. The premise might have seemed cool when the internet was first invented.

The main character's zany parents are particularly noteworthy. Wow. A mom who grows pot and a dad (played by a plasticine Alan Thicke) going through a midlife crisis who bangs chicks his sons age. And the jokes. Crossword puzzle jokes? Subway diet jokes? Really? Wow. How original. I wish I was filled with such wit. In case you can't tell, I was being sarcastic.

If you want to watch a funny show about game programmers, go watch Code Monkeys. This is just painful.

I haven't read the book this show is based on, but I definitely want to now. I gotta know if it's as god-awful as this show. My guess, it couldn't possibly be. No way in hell.moreless