Alive! (1)

Episode Reviews (12)

Superb

this episode was super great.

By JLU51306, Jan 23, 2007

who can't not love this episode, the whole plot was great, everything about it was great, one of the best episodes I've ever seen, the writers have very good plot's for every episode but win they made this one they made it amazing, the episode is great and i can't wait to watch win I buy it when the season comes out.

The End of a Era!

By supremejoseph, Nov 12, 2006

When will we ever see this level of super hero on one tv show again, also the story lines were amazing they saved the best for last watching Superman show is true Power was great and Lex Luthor saved the world WOW!

The series is a continuation of its predecessor, taking up soon after Justice League ended. It is sometimes considered to be the same series as the original; the first season of Justice League Unlimited is referred to by the producers as the third season of Justice League. However, seasons referred to below treat Justice League Unlimited as a separate series.

It features a greatly-expanded League, in which the characters from the original series are joined by a number of superheroes (in the first episode, well over 50 characters appear), as well as a number of DC heroes who had made guest appearances in the first two seasons of Justice League.

Also unlike Justice League, which primarily consisted of two- or three-part stories with only light continuity between them, Justice League Unlimited features ongoing story arcs, the first involving the building conflict between the league and a secret government agency known as Project Cadmus. This plot line heavily builds upon events that occurred during the second season of Justice League, and has affected the plotlines of most of its episodes. It was resolved in a four-part story at the end of the second season of Justice League Unlimited. The third season story arc focuses on the Legion of Doom as the main villains, a loose-knit organization formed to combat the increased superhero coordination of the first two seasons.

Besides the addition of dozens of new League members, the show has changed format somewhat, though keeping the same Bruce Timm style artwork. The stories in the second and third seasons of Unlimited have, however, tended to align along a season-long story arc.

Also, towards the end of the series, certain characters became off-limits to the show. Namely any character mainly associated with Batman (aside from Batman himself), and every Aquaman character. This was due to un-related animated series The Batman, and the pilot of a Smallville-like series for Aquaman which wasn\\\'t picked up. Many have seen the decisions to outlaw these characters odd, seeing as Smallville and Justice League Unlimited make use of several of Superman\\\'s supporting characters, namely Lex Luthor. However, this ruling would seem to apply to JLU\\\'s use of Lois Lane, as she did not have a speaking role once the character was added to the cast of Smallville. On the other hand, the sibling superheroes who are featured in the League, Hawk and Dove, are among the few Teen Titans who do not appear in the television series depiction of that superhero team. Conversely, Speedy was able to appear on JLU soon after Teen Titans ended, due to the length of the third season of JLU\\\'s production.

Although he is featured prominently in the opening credits, and was one of the original members of the league in the previous Justice League series, the character of The Flash appears only fleetingly in the third season, though he has a more substantive role in the fourth and fifth seasons.

Justice League Unlimited, similar to the second season of Justice League, is animated in widescreen. The show also features a new theme song. It was the last Dini/Timm show in production, although there are currently two other, nonrelated animated series set in the DC universe: The Batman and Legion of Super Heroes. The two-part series finale was aired in the UK on February 8 and February 18, 2006 and in the United States on May 6 and May 13, 2006. Paul Dini, writer for the show, announced on January 25, 2006 via a reply to a blog entry that the show had been cancelled.moreless

A tribute to the most dangerous villains in the Universe

By logi, Oct 07, 2006

I was surprised to find that this episode was dedicated to the "bad guys", those characters without who the show just wouldn't be the same.

The Legion of Doom is divided into two teams, one lead by Lex Luthor and the other by Grodd. The two groups fight with each other for supremacy.

Luthor wins the fight and sends Grodd into space and tells Killer Frost to freeze the members of the Legion who confronted him and decided to follow Grodd.

Finally, Lex is about to achieve his ultimate goal: the ressurection of Braniac, the living computer, who is going to help him become a god again.

He is however warned by Metron, a time-traveller who already knows the outcome of Luthor's decision, that he shouldn't try to revive Braniac.

Luthor refuses Metron's "friendly" advice and starts the ressurection of Braniac. However, he accidentally revives Darkseid, who destroys Luthor's ship and heads towards Earth to conquer it.moreless

Bad guy brawl!

By bluecatcinema, Aug 31, 2006

I LOVED this episode; Luthor's plotting, the supervillain battle, the end of Grodd, but I have a few problems with it.

1) What Luthor did to Goldface didn't seem like that much of threat,considering he was fighting later on.

2)The bad guy battle was good, but it didn't really say much about their powers. Some of the villains just threw punches at each other.

That said, I love this episode. Luthor really came prepared, with the means to take down Grodd and Tala on hand, and the way he finished off Grodd was pure classic Lex.

The awesome cliffhanger left on the edge of my seat; I couldn't wait for more!moreless

An exciting, entertaining, explosive outing setting the stage for an awesome series finale.

By theportal, May 17, 2006

Wow. For an episode that features next to no actual Justice League members (and none of them actually speaking), I am impressed. At first I was concerned that we were just marking time in order to end on a cliffhanger, but the second half blew me away so much that... well... see for yourself.

Lex was the unmistakable star of the piece, but Tala, Toyman and Grodd shone through as well. Grodd's death may well go down as one of the most shocking moments of the series!

There were a few problems though. First off, did Goldface die at the beginning? If so, who was that fighting half way through the episode? Also, I didn't like how casually several key DCAU villains like Parasite were killed off towards the end. They went out with a whimper. Talk about disappointing.

However, the conclusion was truly epic. Tala's sacrifice was painful to watch, because I had warmed to her thanks to episodes like this and "The Great Brain Robbery"; the return of Darkseid was a bit predictable, but the moment of actual payoff was fantastic. Seeing the end of the war on Apokolips was nice, but was it really necessary? I'm sure some people were confused by that sudden change of setting.

All in all, outstanding. "Alive!" had me in heavy anticipation for "Destroyer", which is a doozy too. I'm just sad that such a great show is finally drawing to a close.moreless

Lex Luthor continues his quest for any piece of Brianiac he can find in the world in order to become a godlike entity once again.

By KumariVos212, May 09, 2006

This is it people, part one of the final two episodes of the series. I gotta admit that some of the episodes this season felt rushed, but this one is classic. This was exactly why I fell in love with this show in general and comics as a whole in particular. Great story telling, and fantastic art!

Lex Luthor by far in this episode was ruthless, caculating, evil, and just down right mad with a lust for power that I have never seen in any cartoon.

moreless

A fitting tribute to villiany in the DCAU. If you love what the bad guys have to offer (and who doesn't), then you're gonna love this one.

By mlauria, May 08, 2006

I've always had a warm place in my heart for the Lex Luthor character. He does epitomize everything a villian should be - pompous, cunning, driven, fierce, cruel, indifferent, manipulative - I could just keep going on and on. Yet, at the beginning of the episode, I found myself saying "Luthor again! They are really overutilizing him." He has appeared in each Justice League season at least once and has been a central chracter in the story arcs created over the last two seasons. But as I continued to watch this episode, my disappointment just turned to utter joy. At one point I found myself actually rooting Grod and company on - it truly revitalized all those negative feelings I had for Luthor. And the ending - priceless! Who'd a thunk it! Just when I was getting myself resigned to the fact that the JLU was coming to a close, they went and teased us with a gem like this!

TO Bruce Timm, Paul Dini and the rest:

If you can hear me out there, please don't let it end like this. You've got to keep this going some how some way. Consider doing DVD movie releases or perhaps a whole new series where they all return to individual status.

I can't wait to see the final episode.

Thanks again for all you've done and for all you will do.moreless

The Secret Society of Super Villains get more than they bargained for.

By Krodicus, May 08, 2006

I love this show so much, and really hate to see it go. But it looks like the final 2 episodes are going to end the series with a bang.

Spoilers. Episode recap.

Lex finds out that there are more pieces of Brainiac in the universe and has the SSoSV help him convert their hideout into a space ship to go after it. When Talia thinks she isn’t getting enough attention from Lex she decides to set Grodd free which sets up the SSoSV on SSoSV action. Lex shoots Grodd out the airlock and uses Talia to reconstitute Brainiac. But it’s not just Brainiac that emerges, Darkseid is back and he got an upgrade thanks to Brainiac. He goes to Apocalypse to gather his army, first stop Earth. Back on Earth Lex and the SSoSV come to give the JLU the good news.

The animation in this episode was fantastic. This episode also had some of the best fight and action scenes in the series. Even though it was just a set-up episode for the all out war between Darkseid and Apocalypse versus the JLU and SSoSV it was still one of the better eppys for this season.

Can’t wait for next weeks episode, which will be the very last episode of Timm’s DCAU forever.

moreless

Will miss the show when it ends

By JPPT1974, May 07, 2006

I will miss the show when it ends its run

What started out as just the Justice League has become

Justice League Limited and it was great for the final few

Years that they showcased the lesser known heros and that now they will hopefully end with a bang.

This episode sets the stage for the finale! Can't wait for it to come!

Wonderful, but a bit confusing.

By HaagenDas, May 07, 2006

The 3rd season of JLU definitely has not lived up to par of the 2nd season and the Cadmus leadup, but this episode makes up for much of it.

Lex Luthor was the most impressive of the entire bunch. The show really portrays how much of a calculator he is and his truly superior intellect. The man is one of the most analytical thinkers in the DC universe and is on par with Bruce Wayne in that department (which is why I personally loved it when the two of them would battle wits as a super-hero and supervillain whom are \"normal.\")

I agree about the comment of Parasite and others suddenly dying so easily at the hands of Killer Frost. Grodd\'s death was expected.

Apparantly Darkseid was supposed to have been merged with Braniac from what I read, which is why I didn\'t understand why he didnt have Braniac\'s symbol all over him prominently? They should have talked in a combined voice as Luthor and Braniac did when they were joined.

Also, I was also confused how Luthor and the Legion survived? Didn\'t Darkseid kill them off when he said \"I will grant you a quick death?\" We saw the ship explode so how the heck did they get back to Earth to warn Superman and the League?

The over-arching storyline was not as good as Season 2, but this finale looks like it will make up for most of it. I would have liked to see AMAZO come back and take a crack at Darkseid. I dont know why he just got written off the show after the revival of Grundy and return of Shayera Hol. Would also be more epic if they brought the entire Green Lantern Corps to Earth too. I wonder if this is the \"Appocalypse of \'09\" Terry McGinnis mentions in \'Epilogue?\'

I still think there was plenty of potential for another season of JLU. One storyline would be if the Gordanians had actually set their sights on Earth and sent their armada to conquer it. It would have been fun to see a possible JLU/Thannagarian team up where Shayyera Hol helps liberate Thannagar, thus redeeming herself in the eyes of her people. That is only theory though and though we are sad to see such an epic anthology of storyline starting from Batman:The Animated Series finally come to an end, we are glad they are ending on a high note.moreless

Load More Reviews