Chaos at the Earth's Core

Episode Reviews (3)

Great

sisi arm

By wepon_X, Jun 02, 2011

how can super girl destroy metalos arm if she dosent have any power and how can you break the arm if its made of metalo its the strongest metal any ways lets hope we dont see any more mistakeslike this again a a a a a a a a a

This past Saturday night marked the second double installment of the new season (#5) of Justice League on Cartoon Network. Ok will if you want to get picky its season 3 of Justice League Unlimited but it’s all the same to me.

By Capstern, Sep 26, 2005

Saturday night we had episode 503 and 504 play back to back and as usual the Cartoon Network and DC Comics people keep the great stories and wonderful action coming. The writing on these shows is stupendous and of a level that I just can’t find in comic based movies.

(Spoilers Found Below)

One thing I have noted over last season (4) and 4 episodes into the new season is that the writing and storylines and action is much more adult oriented. I can see why they moved the series back about an hour on Saturday nights, they want it clear that this is not for little kids unless the parents specifically approve it. There is a great deal more adult themes and adult level violence in the series and all that has done for me is make it even better.

503 – Chaos At The Earths Core

This episode sees Green Lantern's (voice of Phil Lamar) team of Stargirl, S.T.R.I.P.E., and Supergirl (Nicole Tom) are diverted to Skartaris, a fantastic world beneath the Earth's surface, where they meet a new hero, The Warlord.

I love how this series always keeps a core JLU member one the teams each episode but keep adding more and more characters from the DC Universe for us to admire and enjoy. It has really kept the series much more lively than the first 2 seasons that were only Superman, Batman, Hawkgirl, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern and The Martian Manhunter.

The episode has a wonderful little human element to it. Stargirl is very obvious in her jealousy of Supergirl, her powers and the fan adoration Supergirl enjoys. I think this lends a very human element to the heroes that can be missing at times and make it harder to connect with the heroes and find them engaging. This allows us to see that even the earth’s mightiest people can have the same petty problems and challenges as normal people.

The team once pulled down into the Earth core are, confronted by the Supergirl losing her powers and Skartaris is being over-run by Deimos. It’s the classic story of two low tech cultures warring with each other and one being supplied with high tech weapons and then “good guys” having to get the aid of some heroes to help balance the scale.

This episode has some great hand to hand battles and large fight scenes. It is great watching Supergirl try to learn how to handle being powerless and watching her and Stargirl need to rely on each other and thus overcoming the conflict between the two of them for the greater good of the oppressed people. While fighting for the people that summoned them the team finds that Metallo (voiced amazingly as ever by Malcolm McDowell) and Silver Banshee are there to steal the largest Kryptonite rock ever seen.

After capturing Metallo the team questions him about the kryptonite and who wants it. Metallo resists answering at first but after stealing his power cell Metallo agrees to tell the team who he is working for. Before he can answer Metallo has a electrical short circuit in his head and thus is stopped from sharing the information.

This is a great hint and little bread crumb to the greater story arc for the season. What are the Legion of Doom doing and what are they after. The LoD is not mentioned specifically in this episode but it is my assumption that Metallo and Banshee are there on Legion business and I am very curious as to why. My guess it is some kind Superman elimination plan but we shall see.

All in all this was a good an exciting episode. It lacked any nods o the past history of other Super Hero shows but still good none the less.

8.5 out of 10

moreless

Star(girl?)and Stripes with Supergirl & GL.

The Warlord guest-stars.

By kyjagsfan, Sep 25, 2005

Great show. As a long-time DC Comics fan, I was

(and continue to be) anticipating good stories

and plots. This one (for me) was especially well

received due to the appearance of The Warlord!

I was surprised at the ease that Supergirl

took to using a sword as well as she did.

Stargirl's jealousy of Supergirl's popularity

is tipical teenage growing pains.(By the way,

what is up with the Gamera wanna-be?)All in all,

loved it.