Patriot Act

Episode Reviews (18)

Great

A great concept and well exacuted episode.

By DeenDog, Oct 04, 2010

This is one of my favorite episodes of the series and here's why. This episodes stablishes several lesser known heroes like Shinning Knight, Vigalante, and STRIPE. I love the idea of having a bunch of non-powered heroes fighting against a super powered foe they can't possibly beat. It's a gauntlet, and I love it. This aspect of the show is great, but the underlying meaning it holds is even better. The last conversation between Knight and the General is very emotional. I think it is one of the best back and forths in the series and has the best line, when Knight is asked why he doesn't just give up and replys, "Why don't you."moreless

Green Arrow, Shining Knight, Vigilante, Stargirl, STRIPES, Speedy, and the Crimson Avenger get their butts handed to them by a hulkesque monster. But they did so valiantely, so nobody really cares that they lost.

By sailorbx, Oct 04, 2010

Sarcasm in my summary aside, I really love this episode. It's my favorite episode in the entire series. The heroes without powers face an unstoppable evil, and while they lose badly, they still tried and that is what is important. Superpowers, who needs 'em? Then again, Sir Justin could have used some when Eiling was pummeling him...

And I've decided that aside from the Flash, Sir Justin in the most adorable person in the League when he smiles. All the other times you see him he's frowning. And once again Vigilante pwns all with his awesome lines. "You hit 'em high, I'll hit 'em low!"moreless

Having the episode being devoted to powerless heroes really showed the episodes realistic side and made it seem exciting, and making the episode a nod to the original Golden Age Seven Soldiers of Victory...

By JLU51306, Oct 04, 2010

The story was excellent and the used the Background heroes as the main part of the episode to show a realistic side to the show and episode. Making the episode also as a nod to the Original Seven Soldiers of Victory was great, showing the coolest non-superpowered heroes fight a Superpowered Super soldier was great as well. The writers really did good in this episode, although they could have gave S.T.R.I.P.E.S. and Crimson Avenger speaking roles and let loose on the Seven Soldiers background in the episode, but that aside, the epsiode is the third best episode of JL/JLU, If you haven't seen it, I suggest you do.moreless

With the league stretched thin, a bunch of non-powered superheroes have to "fill in" for Superman. With unexpected results...

By question76, Oct 04, 2010

This episode truly gives character to the secondary characters that would otherwise have been left undeveloped. I loved the banter between Shining Knight and Vigilante at the beginning about Clint Eastwood. Initially I didn't think I'd like it without the big names, Superman, Green Lantern, etc., but it was certainly entertaining. So much of this episode is in the details such as the parade announcers, etc. So often in this series an entire episode can be dominated by several huge fight scenes. While that is entertaining, it doesn't give you much of a human side of the heroes the way this episode does. I really enjoyed it.moreless

I can see what they were trying to do, but plot-wise this is thin on the ground.

By LadyLusiphur, May 28, 2007

This is an episode that could have been great. There is nothing better in Justice League, than being able to see some of your favourite (and often obscure) characters make it to the small screen. I'll admit to having a bit of a moment when I saw Speedy, and being a Geoff Johns fan any appearance from Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. is okay by me. Unfortunately though, what this episode was lacking, was a plot. Perhaps it suffered from being a filler episode within the overall story arc, but it really isn't anything more than 'Man becomes monster, monster terrorises some people for a bit, monster get's it's ass kicked, end of story.'

The sentiment for this episode is great, and I feel that the message is aimed at the audience as a whole, rather than just the TV characters. Unfortunately, trying to convince an audience that the Non-Superpowered heroes are cool too, when they've been watching Batman for years is a bit of a no brainer.moreless

Superpowers do not a hero make.

By JetX85, Apr 21, 2006

This episode has everything that makes JLU great. I had never heard of the Crimson Avenger before this episode, and you know what? I didn't care one bit. The writing is solid enough so that you don't need to know these heroes' backstories to appreciate their struggle in this episode. Shining Knight's defiance in fighting the superpowered general is just as emotionally powerful as the Flash's final confrontation with Braninac/Luthor in the episode "Divided we Fall."

What is the motivation of the hero? Watch this episode to find out.moreless

The not so super superheros rescue the day... so to speak.

By AkumaHu, Apr 01, 2006

Good in developing the more minor characters of the justice league. Especially those who don\'t actually have \"superpower\" but get it from a weapon or the like. Not much actual plotline development but definately amusing to watch.

Not something you would watch if you are seeing the story, but it does make the characters more understandable. Though I did have an issue with the fact that they could not beat the monster/enemy/general. I mean it would be cool if it showed they are just as powerful. However, that would not have been very fitting considering the episode title.

One side note... it did make me get annoyed with the military opinion of sacrifice and all that... Never going into that field.moreless

An enjoyable episode that reunited the golden age team the "Seven Soldiers of Victory" aka The Laws Legionnaires.

By ogremarrkV, Mar 30, 2006

The original golden age 1940's SSOV were Green Arrow, Speedy, Vigilante, Star Spangled Kid, Stripesy, Shining Knight and the Crimson Avenger. This episode is an homage to DC comics second super-team (after the JSA).

In pre-crisis continuity the SSOV were an Earth-2 team lost in time after battling the Nebula Man. In one of the 1970's annual JLA/JSA Earth1/Earth2 cross overs, the SSoV were rescued (JLA 100 IIRC).

Grant Morrison has recently written a maxi-series reviving the name and concept.

By jasperbust, Mar 14, 2006

a kick ass episode where it shows you dont need powers to be a hero and kick some ass... although the heros dont have super powers they still put up quite the fight and in the end earn the respect of the citizens they protect after being taunted by them in the begining.

This episode was great on a number of different fronts and chock-full of interesting comic book fan trivia.

By scriviner, Mar 13, 2006

This episode was great on a number of different fronts.

First we have a flashback to WWII which showcases not only an obscure WWII era superhero Spysmasher (I believe he was a Fawcett character, later acquired by DC), but the whole super-soldier thing looked to me like a sort of riff on Captain America, which may be some sort of subtle meta-text thing identifying DC's competitors with the Nazis, but anyway...

Eiling assuming the form of a gigantic, nigh indestructible engine of doom interestingly enough was actually from the comics, when his mind was implanted into a mindless artificial creature known as the Shaggyman (whose claim to fame, aside from looking like a buff Chewbaka, was that it was immensely strong and could adapt to anything thrown at it, basically it couldn't be beaten the same way twice). Eiling's look after injecting the super-soldier formula into himself is dead on for his appearance in the shaved Shaggyman body. The irony of having to become meta-human to defeat the meta-humans is rather obvious.

Finally, as an interesting bit for an old-school comic book fan such as myself, the composition of the group that took on Eiling, is in fact that of a WWII era superteam known variously as the Seven Soldiers of Victory, or Law's Legionaires. Star-spangled Kid (Stargirl), Stripesy (STRIPE), Crimson Avenger (who still hasn't had any lines), Shining Knight, Vigilante, Green Arrow and Speedy (who looks and sounds like his Teen Titans Go self, so this might be an indication of the two shows being in the same continuity).

The only thing that kept this ep from a perfect score in my mind was the rather pathetic way in which Eiling was stopped. Granted, I can see what they were aiming at, but I really wanted to see the non-metahuman superheroes manage to take him down.moreless

Load More Reviews