The Cat and the Canary

Episode Reviews (6)

Great

The Cat, the Canary, the Arrow...and no one else.

By Gislef, May 05, 2012

And so we begin the new season. Same as the old season, opening-credit-wise. Apparently the producers just used clips of the upcoming episodes in the opening credits until Hawkgirl joined the team and they could settle on one set of credits that showed all seven of the team without giving away Hawkgirl would be joining. Now they have a set series of clips.

Anyhoo, the episode itself? Basically connects two comic book icons, Black Canary and Green Arrow, who have been long-time lovers in the comic book. There's no indication they're romantically involved (yet) in the JLU series, but judging from the plot of the upcoming "Double Date," they're going to be hanging around each other.

Black Canary basically steals the show with some good fight scenes and her alternating between using her sexual wiles in a rather passive-aggressive manner and kicking butt. The bit about her sonic scream kills people at too close a range seems a bit convenient. However, it does put somewhat of a limit on her and answers a question they never seem too worried about in the comics most of the time - why does she need to use her martial arts to beat up on people when she can just "Scream" them unconscious?

Green Arrow doesn't change a whole lot here. He's still obnoxious, kinda grating, and macho. Kin Shriner seems to be going for a little deeper tone - it almost sounds like a different person. The fact that GA's a billionnaire seems a bit at odds with his previous defense of the "little guy," as does the fact that it's apparently common knowledge in the League. Secret ID - what secret ID?

We also get a slightly remodeled Wildcat - in the comics he's a 80-year old heavyweight champion with a limited immortality schtick that assures he's eager and ready to march into any fight and supremely self-confident. Here he's an over-the-hill boxer worried he's losing his edge, feeling outclassed by his superpowered comrades, and seeking out super-powered arena fights. Both versions are interesting, but the latter really much so. And it's a nice choice of casting to get Dennis Farina doing the character - his performance and intonation does much to bring the character out.

We also get Roulette, who doesn't have much to do here and not much of a motivation, and a series of "cameo villains" who really don't do much and conveniently disappear at the end - the heroes don't even really get to fight them.

The fight scenes are both well directed and nicely choreographed. Black Canary effortlessly takes out a handful of goons, while Wildcat effortlessly beats up on three opponents and administers a brutal beating to Green Arrow.

Perhaps the only false note is the whole drug/alcohol-analogy they seem to be making here - "I can stop any time I want!" etc., etc. It's sill not as heavy-handed as most TV "message" episodes, though.

The rest of the League has no dialogue and almost doesn't make an appearance. This is probably a good thing - it's nice to see one of my prediction/wishes from last week proved true and the producers/writers are capable of focussing on new and interesting characters in the League, give them a decent plot, and explore their characters. We don't need the "core seven" anymore and while there is still stories to be told about them and they're welcome back any time, it's good to see some other superheroes getting some screentime.moreless

The Green Arrow and the Black Canary make a wonderful team.

By Weezing101, Oct 25, 2010

This episode may not really be a 9 out of ten, maybe more of an 8.8 or something. Since i'm only allowed to give the simple ratings I am going with a 9 because the episode wasn't quite an 8.5. I love The Green Arrow, which is a huge reason why I enjoyed this episode. This version of Black Canary is pretty cool; she is attractive, powerful, quick, and intelligent. She isn't as great as Wonder Woman but she ranks among my top favorite female super heroes. I found this series version of Wildcat to be a bit strange, he looks old, angers easily, and has a different voice than I had imagined him to have. What I found good about this episode was the fact that it focused on other heroes besides the regular (Batman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and Superman). The action in this episode was excellent, the animation was great, etc. This episode had a few flaws or moments that made me go "huh? what?", and could have been much better, but I am thankful for what it was.moreless

Green Arrow is warming up on me!

By JPPT1974, Oct 04, 2010

I am really getting to like Green Arrow as he

Is really warming up to me and also that he

Proves that you don't have to have super powers in order

To prove your point or to save the world. The show

Developed with its characters both known and unknown as well

As its not being dark anymore! Which I love a lot!

Way to go JLU!!

The Cat and the Canary

By superherofan101, Oct 19, 2006

Canary asks Green Arrow to help her save her mentor and Uncle Ted, Wildcat from the grips of Metabrawl. She tricks him by pretending she's not a good fighter then she shows that she actually is very good. She breaks free and he helps h e r. She and him pay for tickets, and etc. I thought it was pretty good. Canary is awesome. And Arrow is cool. But when I watched this Supergirl was better associated with Green Arrow, though the comics support the Canary-Arrow relationship well, Bruce Timm and Paul Dini kind of made this seem otherwise and thats it.moreless

This one proves that super powers and high tech sci-fi are not necessary when it comes to creating good story lines and action sequences. It's all about defining the situation and letting the characters be themselves.

By mlauria, Mar 14, 2006

Being a long-time Green Arrow fan may give me an unfair bias in objectively rating this episode but who else would fit so well into this story line. His relationship with Black Canary has been comic legend as well as a minor subplot that started when GA first noticed BC in the first JLU episode (Initiation). Wildcat is actually a "Golden Age" hero who depended on his fighting prowess rather than super powers. It was truly a classic story line: the flawed hero, the girl who wants to save him and the unwilling and somewhat cynical newcomer who is unsure of what he got himself into. Throw in all the great action scenes which flowed so well in the story line and this one came close to being a masterpiece. The only flaw in this one, and I do think it is minor, is that it had to somehow be connected to the whole League Watchtower thing. My opinion is that it would have been better as a stand alone episode. The real villians here were pride and selfishness while the real heros were love and sacrifice. And when you think about it, that's why it was such a special episode.moreless

Black Canary gets help from Green Arrow in removing her mentor, Wildcat, from illegal fighting...

By hugs_and_kisses, Jul 12, 2005

OMG! i totally love Black Canary. She's such an awesome fighter....plus she's a woman which is totally awesome. i thought Green Arrow was a pretty cool hero just because he doesn't have any powers yet he still spends his life helping others...now i find out he has money! of course i think him and Canary make such a cute couple so this has to be one of my favorite episodes!