News Briefs: A Friday Night Lights Alum Is Joining Justified for Season 5

By Kaitlin Thomas

Oct 02, 2013

IS IT JANUARY YET?

... I love October because October means Justified is back in production. And that means soon there will be new Justified teasers, and eventually new episodes altogether—so yeah, October kind of rocks. A couple weeks ago, Jere Burns was upped to a series regular; yesterday, Michael Rapaport was cast as Dale Crowe, the leader of the Florida-based Crowe family (and yes, he's related to everyone's favorite four-kidneyed idiot, Dewey Crowe). Today, Alicia Witt (Friday Night Lights) and Edi Gathegi (House) have joined the upcoming fifth season as Wendy Crowe, Dale's sexy paralegal sister, and Jean Baptiste, a Haitian criminal in the employ of the Crowe family, respectively. None of this, however, tells me what Boyd Crowder's up to. [Deadline]

BUSINESS TIME

... Ratings hurt my brain, especially when every network seems to be claiming it won Premiere Week. After trying to make sense of all the press releases, I've decided to take it to the people and put it to a vote. Let's completely ignore all of the ratings numbers from last week (and the week before, when Fox debuted many of its new series) because we all know Nielsen ratings are crap anyway, and you tell me which network you think won based on which shows you found enjoyable. Ready? Go!

... After suffering a Dancing With the Stars-related knee injury last week, Bill Nye took to the floor on Monday night with some robot-inspired dance moves designed to disguise his limited mobility. Unfortunately for Bill, he was voted off. All this means now is that he can once again focus on what's really important: his rivalry with Ed Begley, Jr. [E! Online]

...  Oh well now this is just pure laziness. ABC is combining Nashville and Once Upon a Time and making a fairy-tale musical comedy. Galavant is from Dan Fogelman (The Neighbors) and centers on a prince who wants revenge against the king who stole his one true love. We're doomed. [THR]

... As of today, you can now watch a plethora of the most recent seasons of several NBC shows on Netflix. New additions to the streaming service include the final seasons of 30 Rock and The Office, Season 4 of Parenthood, and Season 5 of Parks and Recreation. [Variety]

... I like to think I've at least heard of 95 percent of the scripted series currently on air, but I'll admit this one threw me: Hallmark has renewed its first-ever primetime series Debbie Macomber’s Cedar Cove for Season 2. It stars Andie MacDowell as a small-town judge and Dylan Neal as the town newspaper editor. Have you any of you watched this? [THR]

... Saturday Night Live alum Will Forte, along with Phil Lord and Chris Miller (21 Jump Street), just sold a new project to Fox with a put pilot commitment. The Last Man On Earth is about two strangers who must work together to ensure the survival of the human race. I do hope that the other person is a woman, otherwise we're screwed. [Deadline]

... ABC's Shark Tank, which has consistently performed pretty well for the Alphabet network on Friday nights, is heading to CNBC for it's first off-network run. The series recently premiered its fifth season, and will make its first appearance on CNBC premiere in January 2014. [CNBC via press release]

... Discovery Channel has ordered 12 episodes of the new series Dukes of Haggle to debut tonight (my God, that was fast). The series, about four rival teams of barterers in the south, is yet another entry in Discovery's long line of wacky reality series that most of America will probably love for no other reason than they lost the remote six months ago and now can't figure out how to change the channel. [Deadline]

CASTING NEWS

... Jennie Garth is said to be circling Tori Spelling's new ABC Family comedy pilot Mystery GirlsThe project follows Spelling, who plays a former starlet, as she's roped into solving crimes with her former mystery TV show co-star—the role that Garth is supposed to be eyeing—when a crazy person who's witnessed a crime will only speak to TV's Mystery Girls. If they can solve the Pretty Little Liars mystery of who the hell "A" is once and for all, I'm all for it. [TV Line]

... Someone over at The Crazy Ones is really good at their job, because now Ed Asner is booked to guest-star on the new Robin Williams- and Sarah Michelle Gellar-starring comedy. He'll play Glen "Mr. Finger" Hastings, a commercial actor who SMG's Sydney finds charming. [TV Guide]

... Patrick Fischler (Lost, Mad Men) is Suit-ing up as Harvey Specter's former Harvard classmate. His character, A. Eliot Stemple, had a tenuous relationship with Law School Harvey and now it seems that relationship will plague Big Shot Lawyer Harvey when the series returns for the second half of its third season this winter. [TV Line]

... This one might be a spoiler for fans of The Mindy Project (I haven't seen any of Season 2 yet, so I don't know), but Saturday Night Live's Vanessa Bayer is headed to the series as a possible new love interest for Danny. [TV Line]

• Comments (36)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • Svanehjerte Jan 31, 2014

OMG! Galavant sounds fun! Iam happy Cedar Cove got renewed - it is so cosy and the cast is likable.

• chuuuuck Oct 02, 2013

Good on Vanessa Bayer.

• JT_Kirk Oct 02, 2013

Michael Rapaport and now Alicia Witt are going to be Crowe family? That's NOT BELIEVABLE. Alicia Witt is super fair-skinned and red-headed... and attractive.

I'm voting CBS for winner, they rolled out everything in a short period and most of it didn't faceplant. ABC rolled out this and that piecemeal, some of it didn't really land that well.

Oh man, Tori Spelling plus Jennie Garth as former tv starlets solving crimes together, as a former 1990s teen I would totally watch the 90210 girls solve crimes - the first could be "who killed Brenda's career?"

Ed Asner on The Crazy Ones sounds just great, but unfortunately the pilot was weak sauce so I'm passing.

• all-hail-lord-starscream Oct 02, 2013

I casually watch Ceadar Cove. Its one of those shows that as soon as its over you forget about, but its not bad.

• abcborges Oct 02, 2013

JUSTIFIED!!!!

• DavidJackson8 Oct 02, 2013

I feel that any love I read or hear about Justified is justified.

Womp womp.

• No1Slayerette Oct 02, 2013

I voted for ABC because looking back at the last week I watch more shows on that channel in comparison to the others (Agents of SHIELD, Nashville and Revenge). Having said that, that fairy-tale musical comedy, Galavant, sounds like a horrible idea ABC.

• hurtlocker10 Oct 02, 2013

Yay, Justified. So good.

"The difference between an addict and a drunk.. A drunk will steal your wallet and feel like shit about it. An addict will steal your wallet and then help you look for it" - Arlo, Season 3 (I think).

• sleepy-sonic Oct 02, 2013

These days are full of interesting casting news for Justified.

• cuculhain Oct 02, 2013

I love seeing Justified news, but would love to see Justified episodes more. I miss Raylon.
    I dont know how I feel about Shark Tank jumping to cnbc. I never watched it before it was on ABC, or the Dragons Den on BBC. It fit perfectly on the friday night lineup and Saturday download availabiity in case you missed it schedule, but I don't know that I would hunt for it. And I almost never watch CNBC, I worked in an airport for a while where that is all they showed and I avoid them like the plague.

• See More Comments (8)