Keeping Up Appearances

Show Reviews (32)

Great

Its a British show that you will like almost as much as Benny Hill

By Raven77, Jul 31, 2013

I liked this show. Why? All that you need to do is watch a few episodes and you will see where all the laughter and true comedy really is.

keeping up Appearances

By KathieBrinks, Jul 22, 2012

I love this show but PBS took it off my tv listing. I loved watching it on TV . This is a great show and PBS should put it back on for the TV Viewers

I am wondering if the 1990s produced any sitcom from any part of the world which was better than this British classic and I'm thinking that the answer is a definite 'no' because this would take some beating!

By Lady_Lancaster, Nov 16, 2010

Hyacinth and Richard Bucket are anything but ordinary, or at least according to Hyacinth they are not ordinary and I would say I have to agree with her as there is definitely NOTHING ordinary about a show which I consider to be one of the best comedies ever made.

For five years we were fortunate enough to share the lives of not only Hyacinth and Richard, but their neighbours, Elizabeth and Emmett and also Hyacinth's dysfunctional family; sisters Rose, Daisy and Violet and brothers-in-law Onslow and Bruce. Of course, there was also the poor, terrified vicar and his wife, the womanising Major and Mrs. Barker-Finch from number 23 who vexed Hyacinth greatly. You see, Hyacinth's only goal in life was to keep up with and then surpass the Jonses (and anybody else whom she considered was trying to outdo her in any way.) Only the best furniture, the best china, the best clothes, the best holidays and the best car would do.

Unfortunately for friends, neighbours and relatives, Hyacinth's desire to have and be the best always seemed to somehow include all of them as well! To say that, for the most part, they were less than pleased would be quite the understatement!

Hilarious from start to finish. A brilliant ensemble cast headed by Patricia Routledge and Clive Swift. Every post was most definitely a winner. If you haven't seen this show, you don't know what you're missing!moreless

Hilarious! And absolutely perfect. Good job Hyacinth!

By dea300, Jul 16, 2009

Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) is a woman dedicated to showing everyone proper etiquette and pretends to be from the upper class. She constantly tells everyone what to do and how they should act including her husband, Richard. Her next-door-neighbour tries her hardest to avoid Hyacinth but to no avail as Hyacinth seems to know everything no matter how hard you try to keep information from her. Her two sisters and Onslow, the husband of one sister, end up meeting her at some point which constantly unnerves Hyacinth as she does not want to be seen in that company. The show is filled with great moments, from Hyacinth pointing out things to Richard while he's driving (watch out for the car in the parking lot, dear) and an upperclass woman going in to a bar with Onslow and Hyacinth's sisters, you will never have a boring moment. This show deserves a rating far beyond what it has now.moreless

Want a show that will keep you laughing time and time again? this is it.

By halberdierv2, May 19, 2008

one of the best comedy shows ever, Keeping Up Appearances is one of those shows that will keep you laughing out loud every time you watch it. the show revolves around an englishwoman named Hyacinth Bucket, or as she prefers it to be pronounced, Bouquet, who specializes in trying to be a class above everybody else in the most hilarious fashion, her polar-opposite husband, who meekly obeys her every command,her nieghbours, her sister, who take care of their senile father, who himself has his share of crazy antics, and many other people in which she comes in contact with. In fact, this review doesn't do the show its justice. Go watch it yourself to see!moreless

The name of Bucket will live forever!

By CellBlocknutter, Apr 20, 2008

Keeping up appearances was just about the last of the classic British sitcom. Hyacynth was of course embraced by viewers across the world, and almost resulting in an Americanised version - Thank god that never happened!

Hyacynth helped create our sterotype of the nagging social-climbing middle-aged housewife, as well as the subserviant suffering husband. Put simple she became a household name.

KUP did have a habit of being repetitive, but it also had this habit of always being funny! The stunts and often hard to time right scenes - for a group of oldies on a budget of a British TV sitcom, was always well recieved, Highlights being:

1) Hyacynth in a Fun House

2) Hyacynth being taken for a run...By a dog

3) Hyacynth and Richard on a boat and falling out

4) Hyacynth catching the flying Royal Doulton

5) The Mad-dash on the QE2

Keeping up Appearances is a fun and original show - Yes it does use tried and tested comedy techniques - But British Sitcoms dont run as long as this one did (By the way, it only ended because the actors wanted out) if their not popular.moreless

hilarious antics of a english woman

By Atomius1, Apr 01, 2008

Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Bouquet) is a fairly well to do lady who desires to be at the top of the social ladder and so invites friends, influential people and her neighbours Elizabeth and Emmet over for candlelight/lit suppers. She never stops in her efforts, and often refers to her sister Violets house, mercedes and room for a pony. Mind you, all these efforts invariably end in social disaster. Her husband Richard, who is thought of in a pitying way by others who admire his ability to cope with his wifes singing and insistence on following the right socal protocol, works for the council but often has to stop working for one of his wifes problems when it arises. Hyacinth's sister lives in a squalid low class house with her father, an insane war veteran, and her husband Onslow, who is slothful and decadent and could best be described as a couch potato if it werent for the fact he often sits in bed. Eating crisps and watching the telly he is however intelligent and rational. Rose who lives there also is a woman with habits Hyacinth dissaproves of strongly and Onslows tattoos are no help. All this usually leads to much chaos and social upheaval to the amusement of viewers. A funny show.moreless

The Bucket Residence, lady of the house speaking...

By Mikay, Feb 20, 2008

I was thinking of writing a review for the episode that I have just watched, 'The Hostess', but I figured that I would only end up commenting on how much I loved the show, I figured it would be better to review the show as a whole.

Now, as a child I used to love Keeping Up Appearances; the careful slapstick and funny faces executed by Patricia Routledge fuelled my love for this very nineties sitcom. Now that I'm in my late teens, I can appriciate it it for so much more.

The representation of British snobbery is so highly mocked, and I love how every American (and possibly other nationality) believe that this is how Britain behaves. In reality, it's possibly more like Daisy and Onslow than Hyacinth and Richard.

The show does look a little dated these days, with Hyacinth's floral dresses, the old Rover car and the astonishment of Hyacinth when she receives a brand new mobile telephone. But it definitely doesn't make it any less funny. Although the show is very formulaic, there is enough change from episode to episode to make the same joke hilarious.

As I watched the first series, I began to notice a pattern as many watchers will have spotted. Hyacinth acts like a snob, Elizabeth has coffee, Daddy runs away, cue some sort of rescue mission. But by the end of the series five, the storylines are much more complex, and even dare for 'off set excursions' such as a trip to the funfair with a travel sick parishoner. Even as early on as the third series, the storylines become less about forcing Hyacinth's snobbery onto the audience and more onto the relationships between the couples, as well as Rose and her ever increasing little black book.

Overall, the show will remain one of my all time favourite comedies that has come out of Blighty. It's clever way of using the same lines over and over, yet still remaining hilarious ("It's ma sister Violet, the one with the Mercedes, sauna and room for a pony..") is possibly the best part of the show, not forgetting, of course, the wonderful Patricia Routledge who pulls off the role of Hyacinth Bucket with such class, it almost makes me believe that her character in real life is just as stuck up as her on-screen counterpart.

Wonderful.moreless

I loved this show.

By stacyda25, Feb 15, 2008

I loved this show for only one reason, my Mother. She loved this show. I remember being a little girl and it would come on Saturday and Sunday nights on PBS. She would let me stay up and watch it with her just so we could spend time together. I cherish those memories now since she has passed. I still remember almost every episode and what happend. Personally I wouldnt watch anything like this. But everytime I see it on TV I have to stop and watch and remember her. Not a day goes by that I dont think about her and watch this just reminds me how much she enjoyed it. I wish she was still here to watch reruns with me.moreless

Load More Reviews