ABC Sets Premiere Dates for Mind Games, DWTS, Black Box, and a New Toy Story Christmas Special, Cuts Killer Women Short

By Kaitlin Thomas

Jan 17, 2014

In not at all surprising news, ABC has effectively killed its newest drama Killer Women by shortening the show's run. The series premiered on January 7 to only a 0.9 rating, making it one of the lowest-rated premieres of the season, second only to The Assets (which was was canceled after two episodes). Killer Women's second episode, which aired Tuesday, did even worse, pulling in only a 0.6 rating. It's unfortunate, because the Tricia Helfer-fronted drama had the potential to be a fun procedural, but the writers didn't seem to know what to do with the material. Maybe instead of bragging that the series was from "executive producer Sofia Vergara!" ABC should have been focused on producing a quality series? I'm just spitballing here.

But Helfer's loss is Christian Slater's gain, because an early end date for her Texas Ranger means ABC is moving up the premiere of Mind Games, about two brothers, Ross (Slater) and Clark Edwards (Steve Zahn), who own "an unusual business based on the belief that people’s decisions are influenced by their environment in ways they’re not aware." The pair employs science and con-artist tricks to fix their clients' problems, or to alter their lives for the better. Originally slated to debut on Tuesday, March 11, the series will now premiere on Tuesday, February 25 at 10pm.

The Bachelor will also be airing a two-night special event on Monday, February 24 and Tuesday, February 25 from 8pm to 10pm each night. Apparently, someone somewhere can't get enough of Juan Pablo, but four hours over two days seems a bit optimistic, you know? Like, Juan Pablo probably doesn't even like Juan Pablo that much.

Later this spring, Dancing With the Stars will return for Season 18 (!!!) on Monday, March 17 at 8pm. New drama Black Box, about a world-famous neurologist who's hiding the fact that she's bipolar, will premiere Thursday, April 24 at 10pm. Each week, she'll attempt to diagnose and treat her patients while also trying to keep her own shit together.

And on a happy note, following the success of last year's Toy Story of Terror, ABC is working on another Toy Story made-for-TV special to air during the 2014 holiday season. Toy Story That Time Forgot will have a Christmas theme and feature dangerously delusional action figures. Confirmed cast members include Tom Hanks as Woody, Tim Allen as Buzz, Kristen Schaal as Trixie, Kevin McKidd as Reptillus Maximus, Wallace Shawn as Rex, Timothy Dalton as Mr. Pricklepants, Don Rickles as Mr. Potato Head, and Joan Cusack as Jessie. Hooray!

And because I like you, here are all those dates in a handy list:

Tuesday, February 25

8-10pm – The Bachelor (special night and time, following a regular new episode on Monday, February 24)

10-11pm – Mind Games (series premiere)

Monday, March 17

8-10pm – Dancing With the Stars (Season 18 premiere)

Thursday, April 24 

10-11pm – Black Box (series premiere)

Holiday 2014

TBD – Toy Story That Time Forgot

• Comments (27)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • bobbiem Feb 27, 2014

Too bad about Killer Women, I liked the show and the actors, just didnt like the name.

• Sanity_Bleeds Jan 18, 2014

"Kevin McKidd as Reptillus Maximus..." You have my attention!

• Vicky8675309 Jan 18, 2014

mind games sounds interesting

• JT_Kirk Jan 17, 2014

Damn, ABC plus January equals SLAUGHTER. I don't think moving show premieres up is going to help them at this point, ABC needs to focus on fixing their ability to convey their message to their audience.

And now they have a show about a famous neurologist hiding a mental disorder, haven't seen that in a while - *cough*Perception!*cough*

Cool, these Toy Story little things are working out, Toy Story of Terror was really good and the Toy Story segment of Disney California Adventure's "World of Color: Winter Dreams" was a lot of fun.

• ayyyy1 Jan 17, 2014

Looks like Toy Story is copying Shrek with 3 movies and 2 holiday specials. Now it just needs one more movie to make the copying complete.

• FilmFanatic Jan 18, 2014

Toy Story forever altered the world of computer-animation creating the effect of realism without morphing the characters into monstrous designs (The Polar Express for example). So on the contrary, it's ALL the computer-animated films after Toy Story 1 that should be called 'copies'. Long story, short, it doesn't look like Toy Story is copying Shrek just because they are doing television specials after the immense success of the original trilogy.

• JT_Kirk Jan 17, 2014

Except that the sequels and specials from Toy Story aren't painfully repetitive and hollow and cheap-looking and slapdash.

• Air-man77 Jan 17, 2014

Can't wait for Mind Games. Kyle Killen is a genius. Period.

• saintmark Jan 17, 2014

Too bad I actually liked Killer Women.

• Taccado Jan 17, 2014

They should put Tricia in a series where she can play Number Six. Any show goes really, The Good WIfe, Shameless, Louie, Game of Thrones, Brooklyn long as Tricia walks around as Number Six.

• JT_Kirk Jan 17, 2014

I miss Gina, best one of the bunch. Natalie was good too. Those number 6s were far more interesting and had real hair.

• ben45tpy Jan 17, 2014

And if it's impossible for her to play Number Six then she has to play the Angel that was in Number Six's form.

• stanking Jan 17, 2014

Can you imagine if Tricia had landed the role of Cersei Lannister? No disrespect intended to Lena Headey, but wow! Tricia would have been spectacular!

• TrevPlatt Jan 17, 2014

Just imagine if Tricia had a part as a Terminator on The Sarah Connor Chronicles!

• TrevPlatt Jan 17, 2014

Damn, now I'm missing Summer Glau again!