Keeping Up With Our Joneses

Episode Reviews (6)

Great

Up in Smoke!

By pedroman01, Apr 25, 2013

A pretty good episode overall, but not as good as most of the Season 1 episodes. I thought it was really funny, but I guess I just don't really believe Hank would ever get into smoking, especially since it was never mentioned again when talking about the past. However, it did have a lot of funny moments, especially with Luanne and the dog and the opening scene where Hank says its only been 18 years. Season 1 continues to be solid!moreless

great

By futuramarama, Nov 22, 2010

hank catches bobby smoking and as punishment makes him smoke a whole carton. he thinks this will work to not make him addicted, but soon bobby becomes very addicted, as do peggy and hank. luann tries to break them of their habit, will she be able to?

a decent episode and although my score is only an 8.0 it is one of my favorites of the first season, mostly because of the simplicity of it and the humor it is. overall this episode gets somewhere in the 'B' range as a grade from me, pretty great episode i certainly thinkmoreless

The episode shows a little history on Hank and Peggy Hill while teaching young Bobby and Joseph a life lesson on the dangers of smoking.

By TasForMayor, Sep 25, 2006

In Keeping Up With Our Joneses, we see that we learn that Luanne is well meaning but unbelievably stupid about her principles pertaining to animal activism. Then we see Hank and Peggy Hill deal with Bobby's misbehavior(Peg: "Now only trailor trash smokes nowadays"). For once, it looks like Dale Gribble has a good handle on the situation with his son Joseph. We learn something new about Hank and Peggy; they used to be smokers and they gave it up for the health of their only son. When they catch Bobby sneaking a smoke, they deal with the problem in a multitude of poorly planned confrontations.moreless

well this was all right...

By avatartlastair, Jul 01, 2006

well this was all right i though that it could have been better, i think that they should have made it so that hank was going to like send some one away cause of the ciggiret, so i know a lot of people think that that is a stupid though bubt a well i can say that so ya but here the reivew i geuss:

the reiview:

When Hank catches Bobby smoking, he punishes him by making him smoke a whole carton of cigarettes. The plan backfires when not only does Bobby get addicted to cigarettes, but Hank and Peggy get re-addicted. They enlist many ways to help them quit as a family. Luanne saves the day, when she becomes "fed-up" with the addiction.

moreless

By aaron304142, Jun 22, 2006

Similarly, an episode like "Keeping Up with Our Joneses" could probably never be attempted by a live action sitcom. When Hank catches Bobby and Joseph experimenting with a cigarette they found in a dumpster, he attempts to create an aversion to smoking in Bobby by forcing him to smoke an entire carton. Adult cigarette smoking is verboten on most shows, so to see a child smoking is quite shocking. King of the Hill takes the situation one step further as Hank's plan backfires when Bobby becomes addicted and Hank and Peggy's past nicotine habits are also rekindled. Their attempts to simultaneously hide and fulfill their habits are laugh out loud funny. Animation helps to soften what may be too bold in a standard sitcom, thus allowing somewhat taboo subject matters like this one (and Hank's life altering run in with a silent killer - constipation - in "Hank's Unmentionable Problem") to be broached with less a chance of offending the audience.

moreless