SerPUNt

Episode Reviews (8)

Great

Where's the Dale we used to love?

By leprecon17, Jun 19, 2014

I really dislike this episode for many reasons. Firstly, I think it is very unlike 'King of the Hill'(and more like Family Guy) to pull a plot out of thin air, without fully explaining the reason. For instance, why is Lucky giving Bobby a pet snake? Bobby has never shown any interest in snakes, and Lucky knew full-well that Hank would never approve of it. I appreciate that Lucky's character is uneducated and simple, but even so, he has always shown to have pretty high levels of common sense. An other major problem I had with 'serPUNt' was the way that Dale Gribble was portrayed. Since the beginning of 'King of the Hill', Dales greatest characteristics were his proficiency with guns, warfare, and particularly extermination. In all of the later episodes of the show, Dale has been portrayed as completely unskilled in extermination. For instance, in 'serPUNt', Dale says that he is unworthy to work with the animal control guys. Why is this? I could list a dozen episodes where Dale is willing and able to kill any (small) animal with his bare hands. These are two of the reasons that I dislike the episode.moreless

Slithery!

By pedroman01, Nov 10, 2013

This, in my opinion, is one of the best episodes of late. It was really funny, and not only had a lot of funny moments, but the moments were very funny. I think Luanne's line about being a Christian is one of the best in the last 2-3 seasons. The plot is very good and things just work. It was slow at moments, but overall it was just a very solid episode. Season 11 is off to a great start!

When Bobby's new pet snake escapes down the toilet, Hank asks Animal Control to catch it. Dale joins up with the company, in awe of his new employees â€" but doesn't realise that they intend to do nothing about the snake. A so-so episode...

By Jay-Spacedust, Aug 07, 2009

Here in the U.K. on E4, 'The Peggy Horror Picture Show' was billed as the first episode of the eleventh season, but for unknown reasons was changed to this episode at the last minute (see my review for that episode for more).

I found this a watchable but middling episode. Part of this may have been due to it being shown first in the season, with the show not being aired (other than on $ky) for well over a year â€" I find it usually takes me an episode or so to get back into the feel of the series.

I also confess to not picking up on the parallels to Bush's handling of the Iraq war. Bearing in mind that I did not see this episode until over two years after it premiered in the US (and there was even a different American president by then), so it was already dated anyway.

The story is a reasonable one, but not really one of my favourites. In many ways Dale is my favourite character, so I normally like episodes that feature him a lot, but this one just came off as average in my view.

I also felt that this was one of those episodes that could have used a separate b-plot to even things up.

Probably the best scene is the end, where Bobby asks Hank to tell him about "the snake farm", a nice allusion to the novel (and several film versions of) John Steinbeck's 'Of Mice and Men'.

All-in-all, not a terrible episode at all â€" in fact it has its moments, but it's nothing special.moreless

Panic.

By cactusjack39, Mar 25, 2009

I liked this episode for a few real reasons. One reason would have to be the great irony and the comedy. I thought it was very ironic how when everyone needed Dale's help, it was a time where they needed after all they said about him in terms of his job. I also liked how the snake catchers were actually milking everything for what it was worth. It took Dale to get them to go back to doing their job. Overall, a funny episode with some interesting bits here and there. I was entertained, but I do not like snakes. Thank you.moreless

This was a good episode but not great

By aaron304142, Feb 12, 2007

So there goes another ok episode of King of the Hill. I liked this episode it had its funny parts and the writing was just a little above average. The plot for this one was ok but I hope that the other episodes will get better and better. I thought that the funniest part of this one was when Dale was trying to get the job at the Animal Control Center I just busted out laughing at that part. I thought that the writing could have been a little better but I still liked it. I put this episode in the top 50 for King of the Hill episode.moreless

Very good, but could had been better.

By mitu123, Feb 12, 2007

After the awesome season premiere, I had way too much anticipation for this one as it was the original first episode of the 11th Season, and while it was solid, it could had been so much better. Dale is funny of course as he tries to get that snake, and Hank is being blamed for allowing the snake in the toilet, but really, it was kind of boring to watch. I'm not talking "very boring", but more like "waiting for this to happen boring", although those lazy animal patrol guys brought in some laughs. It was actually awesome, but it had something that I've seen before and done better than this too. Megalo Dale is way better than this, but this wasn't bad either, just not the best. Lets hope the remainder of the season improves though, because while a few episodes like this in the beginning of the season isn't bad and it's also a very good start, as the later episodes get aired, if they have this kind of quality, it would be a repeat of Seasons 5-8(read:average) though rather than the fantastic Seasons 1-4 and terrible Seasons 9 and 10. Come on KOTH, I know you can do it.moreless

The writers take a stab at Bush's Iraq policy in this episode. Lazy animal control officers work to inspire fear in the populace due to a loose snake so that they get increasing amounts of funding to buy toys and get paid for not working.

By dailyalice, Feb 12, 2007

I really enjoyed the satire of the Bush Iraq war machine. You can see the propaganda techniques and fearmongering used to get people to give money to a poorly running government department. What I hated about this episode was the portrayal of animal control officers. This episode implies that the main purpose of animal control is to exterminate pests on public property. A harmless burmese python escapes and at the end of the episode it is heartlessly slaughtered for no particular reason. That part just made me sick. It would have been easy enough to capture the snake and send it to a local zoo. Shame on the writers.moreless