ABC Renews Last Man Standing, Orders Two New Comedies

By NatalieAbrams

May 10, 2014

ABC has renewed the Tim Allen-starring Last Man Standing for Season 4 and ordered two new series, Cristela and Fresh Off the Boat, TV.com has learned. 

In Cristela, the series' titular character (Cristela Alonzo) is finally on the brink of landing her first big (unpaid) internship at a prestigious law firm. The only problem is that her pursuit of success is more ambitious than her traditional Mexican-American family thinks is appropriate. Written by Alonzo and Kevin Hench, the comedy will be executive-produced by Marty Adelstein, Becky Clements, and Shawn Levy.

Previously titled Far East OrlandoFresh Off the Boat is a '90s-set comedy about a hip-hop-loving Asian kid (Hudson Yang) growing up in suburban Orlando. He's being raised by an immigrant father (Randall Park) who's obsessed with all things American and an immigrant mother (Constance Wu) who's often bewildered by white culture. Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 creator Nahnatchka Khan will write and executive-produce with New Girl's Jake Kasdan. Forrest Wheeler and Ian Chen will also star.

ABC previously renewed a good chunk of its programming slate, including Once Upon a Time, Scandal, The Goldbergs, and as of late Friday, Nashville. The network also canceled a handful of series, including Trophy Wife and Suburgatory, and ordered several new ones, including Marvel's Agent Carter and the fairy-tale musical Galavant

Check the Status of Your Favorite Shows:
What's Renewed, What's Canceled, and What's Still In Between?

• Comments (34)
Add a Comment
In reply to :
  • irehawk20 Aug 26, 2014

It's not Tim's fault on making these awful changes on this show. It was the strict orders from the strict TV critics and the strict press release.

• JT_Kirk May 11, 2014

Everything in this article is awful.

• coop4ever59 May 11, 2014

Bunch of crap!!! Should've kept The Neighbors instead of Tim Allen's right wing douche show!!! And Trophy Wife!!! WTF!!! I like The Goldbergs, but if one of them had to go, it should've been The Goldbergs!!! Trophy Wife was quirky, funny, and Bradley Whitford just can't catch a break!! Loved The Good Guys with him and Colin Hanks.

• sandorxian May 11, 2014

They cancelled Trophy wife and renews an idiot like Tim Allen?

• et3rnIT May 11, 2014

Last man standing is a good show when Tim isn't standing on his soap box shoving his point of view about something close o his heart down your throat.

Marvels Agents of S.H.I.T. should been flushed

Trophy Wife will be missed, that crazy bunch actually grew on me - and for the record I'm not a fan of modern family.

• lovemybubbaboy May 11, 2014

Fresh Off The Boat & Cristela. Will there be sub-titles for these shows?

• JT_Kirk May 11, 2014

Si

• JackSaat May 10, 2014

Yeah... Fresh Off the Boat read like canceled after 3 eps and maybe burn the eps off in the nights or dead time slot. I loved Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23 but the network did not :(

• ionee24 May 10, 2014

It was time for me and Suborgatory to break up anyway. Luckily, now we won't have to.

• shocker713 May 10, 2014

I'm sure Cristela's family will change their tune once they find out she's not getting paid.

• 2plus9 May 10, 2014

Shame about Trophy Wife. The Middle and Trophy Wife are the only ABC comedies I watch. Except for Neighbors when I remembered it moved to Fridays. Guess its just the Middle now.

• See More Comments (2)