The War at Home

Episode Reviews (15)

Superb

This is a very intriguing episode as it delves into the personal life of our beloved Detective Goren. Thanks for finally showing us Bobby's pain.

By sweetp7900, Nov 21, 2010

He has made mention many times about his mother and her condition (and Nicole Wallace spent many dauntless hours agonizing him about her condition) to finally see them together and what she actually puts him through is incredible. For an investigator who actually puts himself into the mind of the criminal -- I am sure Bobby has tried to assess him mother the same way (it is his nature to do so with anyone). This was a long awaited episode with Mrs. Goren. Thanks for finally showing us Bobby's pain.moreless

Female soldier goes missing on Thanksgiving and the Major Case Squad gets torn away from their families to investigate.

By Beecharm3r7, Jul 04, 2010

From what I've heard this ep was either love it or hate it. I absolutely loved it. The crime itself wasn't bad.

D'onofrio was amazing in this and got to show a lot more levels to his character. I love when they get into the personal stuff with him and I'm glad that they showed just enough to reveal how hard a time he was having, dealing with his mother's illness. He's overworked, stressed, and now he's forced away from his mom on what might be her last thanksgiving. But, Goren of course tries to do his job despite everything he's going through and all we see is Ross and the others act like he's slacking off.

There were some great metaphors in the ep about good soldiers needing good leaders, and it was clear that Goren felt his leader (Ross) wasn't cutting it. He misses Deakins and he doesn't even have to come right out and say it.

I liked Goren's outbursts because they were appropriate to what was going on in his life. We saw why he wasn't acting out and felt for him.

I started to warm up to Ross because of this ep. It was the scene at the beginning, with him toasting his family. The part where he thanks his family for coming then says in a dry, unenthused manner "Todd." That little comment was amusing.

Throughout the whole episode I kept wanting to slap everyone around Goren and tell them to smarten up for not understanding his situation. And of course I wanted to hug Goren...it really tugged on the heart strings.

I liked the scene at the elevator because we both see Goren acting out and trying to send a clear message that he was obviously drowning; but at the same time he didn't want to come right out and scream at Eames. it was like he was more disappointed in her than angry and i can see why. he expected her of all people to have a little more sympathy for him. Hence him telling her to "back off". He didn't see the point in her efforts if he felt like they weren't getting anywhere. Meanwhile, she's asking about his mom and brother, trying to sympathetic but it's like they couldn't just get on the same page. It's a catch 22.

Overall, great acting by D'onofrio, Erbe, and Bogosian. Crime plot - average. Goren's plot - excellent.moreless

A great episode that had me hooked

By vicky24c, Apr 27, 2009

In this episode of Law and Order: Criminal Intent, the following happens. We open with a girl going missing after spending the night with a friend. And so, on Thanksgiving, the team are called in to help find her. The reason? Her father is the first deputy commissioner of the NYPD. Amanda also just returned from a tour in Iraq and is due to get married the following weekend. The team then find her car in a parking lot. There they find a purse in the nearby woods, and so a search is launched. Soon her shoes are also found in the woods, and so her friend is brought to the scene for questioning. There she confesses that she, Amanda and another Army friend all went into the city for the night. She lost Amanda at about 2.00am and hasn't seen her since. Soon Amanda's underwear is found in the woods and so is her dress. All of her clothing from that night have been recovered, so where is Amanda? Or worse still where is her body? Soon the team believe that Amanda herself may have scattered the clothes and has now gone AWOL. When the family hear this, the father gets angry and says that she would never do that. We soon learn that Amanda was born in Ireland and so she has an Irish passport. Soon the father calls off the search. Both of her passports are found in her bedroom. Soon her fiancĂ©e fly's in and the team question him. From him we learn that Amanda slept with another solider when she was in Iraq. Soon from where her cell phone was used, the team work out where she was on the night she was last seen. So the team now believe that they know where Amanda (or at least her body) may be and so they head there. There they find her body in an oil drum. She has been shot, in execution style. When a tox test is run on Amanda, we learn that she was drugged. Soon the team have 2 suspects, the Army friend who went with the girls to the club and another Army person, who Amanda slept with in Iraq. But since neither of them will confess, the team are stuck. But Bobby goes back in with Eames, and they manage to break him. We learn that she was killed so that she won't tell her father about murders which took place whilst they were in Iraq. As the details of her murder are told, from the killer own mouth, the father starts to break down in tears.moreless

It's Thanksgiving, but things are far from alright as everyone is called in for a missing person case.

By Liria, Apr 07, 2007

The Commissioner's daughter is missing on Thanksgiving, and everyone is doing their best to try and find her, but Goren has to try and deal with personal problems with his mother in the hospital. Torn by both sides, Goren seemingly loses it, which was just great to watch! The main reason I watch Criminal Intent is Bobby Goren, hehe, so getting to see a bit more of his strangeness and the things that tear at him, as we've sometimes have been shown a glimpse of, is just great. Btb, seeing Fran Drescher in a serious role kindda threw me off, especially when she started crying, but I think I just seen her so many times in comedy roles that I'm fixated. It had no impact on what I thought of the episode though. This ep put together a clever plot with just enough of character to make it one of my favorites of the season so far.moreless

Law and Order Criminal Intent!

By ourkissgoodbye, Mar 08, 2007

When the daughter of a police commissioner goes missing, Captain Ross and Detectives Goren and Eames are called onto the case during their Thanksgiving celebrations. Detective Goren has a hard time keeping his mind on the case at hand, because of dealing with his mother, who is in the hospital. When the victim is found murdered execution style, the Detectives begin to wonder if the war she was fighting in somehow managed to follow her home.

Criminal Intent is my least favorite of all the Law and Order brands. But I actually was interested in the story line of this episode and was anxious to see how the case ended. It kept me wanting to watch the entire hour. I find it hard to connect or idenify with the Detectives on Criminal Intent, but I was able to connect with the victims and feel for them.moreless

I'm startled that this episode received several bad reviews. I'd say it was one of the best things to air on any network this season. They're doing great things with D'Onofrio's character.

By cramorse, Dec 06, 2006

This episode stands out in my mind as one of the best in the series. Of course, to me, this series is all about Goren, and this episode added real depth to his character. D'Onofrio's acting in this episode was superb -- he conveyed real anguish. It was all very much in keeping with an arc that has been taking shape over the last several Goren/Eames episodes, since Goren was threatened at gunpoint by the suburban cop.

I am very eager to see what happens next with Goren. Perhaps he has hit rock bottom, but I doubt it.

I notice that one reviewer panned the episode because it portrayed the military in an unflattering light. I suppose that's right, but it doesn't bother me much -- and I say that as one of the relatively small number of U.S. residents who still backs the Bush administration and its efforts in Iraq. In the end, "Criminal Intent" is entertainment, and for the sake of being entertained, I'm willing to set aside politics (except in egregious cases, e.g., every episode ever made of "The West Wing").moreless

Goren and Eames were recalled by Ross, to find out what happened to the deputy commissioner's daughter, who disapeared. It is is Thanksgiving's holiday, and Goren have another things on his mind. The investigation will be difficult for everyone.

By alma1976, Nov 26, 2006

Yesssss!! When I read the other reviews, I thought \"At last\", but when I saw the episode, I feel I\'ve been waiting for these past two years for an episode of that kind!!! I\'m very fund of VDO, but I began to feel that the serie was not worthy anymore, too cold! But when I saw, the first episode of this season, I had a great interest for the new story line. And finally, it happened. At last, we can see their private life, part of it, anyway. And It was amazing : the schizophrenic scene at the hospital, when Goren has to answer the phone and his mother at the same time, was, I think, the cleariest image of Goren\'s stade of mind. I don\'t want to go too far, but I think they found the perfect balance between the investigation and the character\'s personnal life. I can understand that the longest fans could be shoked by the new story line, but, personnally, It was exactly what I\'ve been waiting for, for a long time now. And it was worth waiting!moreless

Screenplay by John Kerry & John Murtha...

By sparker1976, Nov 19, 2006

Or so you'd think by watching this mess. The nonsensical premise (Army company massacres Iraqi Army company) could come from "Jenjis Khan" Kerry or "Cold-blooded murderers" Murtha.

Why does Hollywood think that people want to see the military dumped on constantly? This episode, besides showing Goren's ongoing meltdown, hits pretty much all the bases of 1969 era rhetoric: Soldiers are crazy, military women are whores or butch, the Army goes around executing people for no reason, desertion is commonplace, and on and on and on. I think I can say with little fear of contradiction, NCIS is the only current show that doesn't dump on the military.

Leaving that aside, Goren's rising level of crazy is getting aggravating. Honestly, if this keeps up, I'm going to stick to the Chris Noth weeks. Score only because I can't get 0 to work.moreless

Are you kidding me?!

By angelspinknose, Nov 15, 2006

What are the writers doing to Bobby? He never acts like this. I realized his weak spot is his mentally unstable mother but this episode went too far. The basic story was good. Fran Drescher was great and looked stunning. The plot of the girl about to blow the whistle on her squad was interesting. Bobby blowing up at a Commissioner who just lost his daughter was completely out of character.

Load More Reviews