Authority

Fair
6.6

Great episode

By Pyrura, Nov 21, 2012

Good episode and a great actress Robin Williams. I enjoyed myself from beginning to end...

Great episode, utilized actual events that happened and elements of internet videos becoming popular. Robin Williams guest stars.

By imavegba, Mar 03, 2011

Freeking sweet, the manipulation that Williams does is an actual real thing that happened to various fast food places. In the actual case the person calling the manager made the accused girls do jumping jacks nude and told them to call in their wifes to watch them. Really messed up how people feel they need to obey and follow an authoritative figure. Some of the story of the actual crimes are here: http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051009/NEWS01/510090392

Psychology is an odd subject and its hard to believe people would do these types of things. There is also a clip where people at a train station do a freeze. Robin Williams is great, just fantastic. Then again I'm addicted to SVU, still tho absolutely captivating.moreless

Great episode with Robin Williams.

By dgockerell, Mar 03, 2011

This was a great episode with Robin Williams as a guest star - I think he is a superb actor and he did not disappoint here. I like his goofy roles but also find him phenomenal in serious roles as well. This episode was also relevant. And it also brings up the concept of blind obedience to authority which was conceptually very interesting even though I may not agree in part. Submission to authority is freeing as consequences are not borne on the follower. Biblically speaking, submission is required in some instances (such as submission to the laws of our government) but what most people don't realize is that that not even that submission is blind. In some instances the request of submission contradicts what is right according to the Bible. In that case, the answer is simple - God's laws are above man's laws.moreless

Great performance from Robin Williams...unfortunately, it was on an episode of "SVU."

By jamoon2006, Mar 01, 2011

I admit it - the NBC promo machine got me to tune in to "SVU," a show that I otherwise don't care for. The promise of Robin Williams' performance drew me in; while Williams was great, the episode itself was jumbled and a promising start petered out into a mediocre ending.

The idea of a criminal influencing people to carry out crimes by posing as a police officer is interesting, and making Williams a master of audio engineering added a nice touch to the story. But (other than the fact that a sex crime was needed to get Benson and Stabler into the mix), we never learned WHY he had a beef against the fast food chain or the employee in question.

Things picked up during the trial, where Williams poked holes in the state's flimsy case and flummoxed the A.D.A. I have noticed how on "SVU" moreso than any other "L&O" or other crime drama how conservative the cops and D.A.s are. They regularly engage in harassment and if they do arrest an innocent man, they cop an attitude of, "Well, he probably did something we don't know about it, so it's OK."

If the show had ended with Williams walking, it would have been better and offered a more ambiguous ending with its themes of manipulation and control. Instead, we have a standard-issue cop show finale with Williams abducting Benson and forcing Stabler (who arrives with gun drawn and sans backup) into a stand-off. Then, a villain who appeared to be a troubled man with a grudge turns into a supervillain with remote control bombs and a mystery get-away. It's a shame Williams doesn't do more TV work and more dark drama, but it's also unfortunate that his talents were largely wasted opposite the SVU cops.moreless

What a great episode! So exciting!

By SweetMissJaye, Jun 06, 2008

This episode was very well written, just well done. Robin Williams was phenomenal! The few times I've seen him play a crazy person, he did an excellent job. It's unfortunate that Robin Williams has been typecast as a goofball because he so obviously has other talent.

I loved seeing what Benson and Stabler went through in this episode, especially at the end. I felt so bad when I thought Liv was being tortured. The look on Stabler's face when he heard her "screams" was almost too much to take. I was upset when Benson and Stabler let Rook get away but then I realized that they have to make their share of mistakes.

Rook really had everyone fooled. I couldn't believe how well he did in court. It was infuriating but at the same time impressive. This episode was very good. I'm very pleased with the outcome of this episode as it leaves an opening for Rook to come back next season.moreless

This ep was amazing!

By Mariskarox, Jun 06, 2008

Amazing acting I almost cried! Almost! JK I did cry:( tear! Well I thought that the episode was very well written and there were a lot of tense moments that I would like to see set out more often. It was a pretty darn good follow up of undercover. Great emotional work I could feel their pain. But what I don't understand is how he recored her screams because that scream sounded a lot like mariska. I don't know don't ask me that is show busisness! Robin Williams was great but I wish that there was a better ending I would like to know what happened to him. Who knows maybe he'll come back for benson, dun dun dun! Yeah right like elliot would ever let that happen but who knows, anyway enough of my drabble, great episode!!!moreless

Stabler and Benson engage in a war of wits against a man who uses his persuasive abilities to make people commit criminal acts.

By X-RayVision, May 15, 2008

This episode had the bar set really, really high. A; it's their 200th episode and B: Robin Williams was going to Guest star.

Right off the bat, we've got an interesting situation, a Fast-Food Manager who has been taken in by the guy on the phone and has committed crimes. Stabler said it very well, he was an idiot.

The episode progresses very well, leading us to Merrit Rook (Robin Williams) the character suit's the actor extremely well. We can see immediately that the character can talk his way out of nearly any hole he gets himself into. Much like the actor, with his uncanny ability for comedy. We are treated to Merrit using voices over the phone to deceive the detectives and then the great spectacle of seeing him defend himself in court.

Much was very well utilized this episode. Giving us the information of the original Milgram experiment, assisting in the investigation and participating in the Pillow Fight, something that was so perfectly in character for John Munch. It was a pleasure to see him used so well.

The final confrontation with Elliot and Merrit was very well executed even though it was very obvious to me that Olivia wasn't actually being shocked. If they were going to do it, they would show it. Even with that, the performances in that scene were magnificent, making it so it didn't matter that Olivia wasn't really being shocked.

A very wise decision was to leave Merrit's fate somewhat ambiguous. Even though Olivia believed that he had jumped into the water and would have invariably drowned, the fact that we didn't see that happens leave the door wide open for a return. Something which is not unprecedented for this series, Amy Solway and Darius Tutuola have made return appearances. I would very much hope that Merrit Rook joins their ranks at some point next season.

Overall, a spectacular hour of Television, here's hoping for another 100 episodes as great as this one.moreless

Robin Williams deserves an emmy for this!

By JPPT1974, May 06, 2008

I agree with one viewer as Robin Williams known for his comedic roles, really outdid himself in this one. Sure he has played villians but this one really has you playing mind-games on this one. As this kind of left open the ideal of him returning which would be nice. He did a good job fooling himself with Casey, Stabler, and Benson. And that we learn that Stabler had been a detective for sixteen years. Benson seemed to be really scared of Williams character as he scared the heck out of me. Williams deserves an emmy award as he really showed his dark side.moreless

An episode that really blew me away!

By mccar29, May 03, 2008

This has got to be the best episode of SVU I have seen in a long time, if not the best episode ever. Robin Williams was perfect as a manipulative, demented engineer (Merritt Rook) who creates elaborate schemes in order to avenge wrongs done to him. He comes to the attention of SVU after he tricks a Happy Burger manager into strip searching a young female employee. He represents himself in the trial and not only gets away with it but develops a fan base (Sgt. Munch included)! The plot turns more sinister when they learn that Rook's wife and son died in childbirth and the doctor responsible soon died in a terrible car accident. Rook, impersonating a police detective, calls the doctor repeatedly, making him believe he would be charged with murder for their deaths. It puts the doctor over the edge and the doctor kills himself.

When they attempt to take Rook back into custody, he ends up kidnapping Olivia. He wants Benson and Stabler to atone for the police who didn't believe him when he was a boy trying to help a young girl who was sexually abused. The most powerful scene comes at the end between Stabler and Rook. I had chills and Robin Williams' voice was freaking me out! The only reason I didn't give this episode a perfect 10 is because my logic got in the way. There's never a good reason offered for why he targeted the Happy Burger to begin with. I don't buy that he would go to such extremes because he doesn't like processed foods. But more bothersome, he's deeply impacted by the sexual abuse of an 11 year old girl from his childhood. In fact, so impacted that he wants to get even with the police. However, he manipulates an adult man into strip searching a young teenage girl, getting him to remove her clothes and has the man touching the girl. It's not very plausible and takes away, slightly, from the brillance of the plot. But, hey, other than that, an absolutely amazing episode!!!moreless

Robin Williams proves once again he's very capable at the dark drama roles.

By Mads13, May 01, 2008

This episode portrays Williams in his, in my personal opinion, finest. I can say I never 'got' Williams' unique and offbeat comedy. But after seeing him in One Hour Photo, I developed (no pun intended)a new appreciation for him.

Here he portrays an evil, intelligent almost genius mindset, manipulating people into doing things, then blaming them for having a herd mentality. Especially nice was his taunting the doctor who he blames for the death of his wife and child. He continues to call the doctor, pretending to be a police officer telling him over and over that he knows what the doctor did, till the doctor finally can't take anymore and commits suicide.

And the end was great. Though I had a hunch the screams were pre-recorded from the start, it still played out well. And I like the idea that it's left open. Maybe we'll see Williams again.moreless

Load More Reviews