Episode Reviews (28)

As The SVU Turns

By snake63, Jul 23, 2013

One of the biggest gripes of SVU it is the melodrama of Elliot Stabler and his family. But with the birth of his second son Elliot Jr was the saving grace of this episode. The episode begins with the death of a boy's nanny and the boy's paternity. The mother is a real bitch who cheats on her husband with the boy's real father. Fans of Boston Legal will recognize Mark Valley as the husband. Then the wife rubs his nose of it saying he has to pay child support and has no visitation. You almost can't blame him that he kills the bitch.moreless

When the paternity of a missing young boy is placed into question, Stabler wonders if he really is the father of Kathy's child.

By IHeartSvu, Nov 07, 2011

First of all, this episode I will say brought me to tears. I know, I'm pathetic, right? The case at the beginning with the little boy was terrible. It turns out his father actually isn't his father--and meanwhile, his wife is dumping him for the other man that is really the boys' father. Pheew, corn-fusing. I thought it was terribly sad and definately wouldn't want to be put in that position. Moving onto the car wreck. Interestingly amazing. I thought Olivia did a fantastic job helping Kathy. She did all she could to make sure her and her baby were safe. My nickname for her is "savage" because she never lets anything beat her. She so proved it on paternity after a car wreck she proved she was perfectly fine. The ending is what I'd like to comment on. If you didn't know I am an Elliot/Olivia shipper, you will now. The hug seriously brought me to tears. I couldn't help it. It's the first time in NINE YEARS these two hugged. It was definately at the top of my list of "cute things that happened this year" list, lol. I am sorta wishing for more hugging in the NEAR future, hehe. But all in all, GREAT episode.moreless

Absolutely horrible, pointless and disgusting. Please avoid this episode. Seriously poorly plotted, dull, tediously written, abysmal storyline and full of plot holes.

By zvyozdnayapyl, Feb 28, 2011

This episode was an absolute waste of time. Ok, Let me start off with this piece of garbage. First, the detectives investigate the murder of a nanny who now suspect her employers of having a lot of dark skeletons in their closet. Then, you have Fin and Lake reminding Stabler that there was a seriously accident. And last but not least, it was Benson and Stabler's wife, Kathy who were in the serious accident that is what the dangerous tragedy caused between Stabler's family. This episode, unfortunately, is not only absolutely horrible, pointless and disgusting, but is also very poorly plotted, dull, tediously written, abysmal stoyline and full of plot holes.

The entire acting performances was Monday-Morning Awful, all the direction is extremely ridiculous, and the storyline is very depressing and sad.

There were a lot of plot holes, missing evidence, and serious cheap characterizations in this episode that my girlfriend and I almost quit before the end of this.

Absolutely horrible, pointless and disgusting at least last week's episode was awesome.

Please avoid this episode!moreless

Law and Order Special Victims Unit!

By ourkissgoodbye, Feb 28, 2011

When a young boy is found, the Detectives of the Special Victims Unit are called in to find out what happened to his parents. What they find out is that his mother seems to be more interested in her boyfriend than her husband, Jake, and left her young son Tommy in the care of the nanny while she went to be with her boyfriend. Things get tense when they find out that Tommy is not Jake's biological son. The case gets personal for Detective Elliot Stabler, when a car accident threatens the life of his family.

This was a good episode. The beginning of it was a little on the slow side, and it took me a while to get into the story line that involved the little boy Tommy and his family. But the episode definitely took a turn for the better when the drama was focused on Kathy Stabler, and whether or not she and the baby was going to make it out of the accident alive. It was nice to see that there was a little bit of bonding between Kathy and Olivia, which you normally never see on the show.moreless

oh dear god...what has become of SVU?

By rachelsasao, Feb 28, 2011

I admit, I haven't been watching SVU for years like many people...but I think I know what constitutes a worthy episode from a filler. This was neither. It was just...garbage. The plot line got twisted, filled with plot holes left and right. The writing, directing, and acting were terrible. The lines that people said...oh jeez...I wanted to turn it off. The "plot twists" if you can call them that, were just plain sad. Since the episode, I feel everything on TV is worthless..

I have lost the will to enjoy TV...I feel like a zombie. Please spare yourself from this episode. Unless you want a good laugh...or cry.moreless

Good gravy, what has happened to this show?

By Hal_10000, Feb 28, 2011

They spent half an hour on the crime and then the last half on an incredibly manipulative drama. When did this become a soap opera?

We have all the hallmarks of a bunch of lazy writers who are plum out of ideas.

**spoiler alert**

1) We have the Instantaneous Hollywood Birth, where a woman goes from water breaking to baby in ten minutes. Uh, you've never had kids, have you? Try ten hours.

2) The added false drama of the car wreck plus Stabler's wife crashing in the van only to be miraculously fine in the final scene.

3) A rather interesting SVU case (for once!) that is wrapped up in about ten minutes.

This show has truly jumped the rails. The only reason it even got to a 6 is because of the effort the actors are putting in this increasingly sensationalist show.

OMG finnaly we get to see something between our favorite coupple!

By tvlover0412, Feb 28, 2011

I just loved it! the car scene was awesome, and i believe Mariska deserves another emmy for this episode, but the one thing i totally loved of course was when Eliot hugged her, that was awesome, her face was like OMG ive waited for this so long, it was sooo sweet, and then when they looked at each other and with that weird scilence between those 2 and they were staring at each other thil liv interupted the moment, OMG it was fenomenal. I hope they keep it up with the great e/o chemistry, and love cause i still hope something bigger happen between these 2. hope to see more episodes like this for the rest of the season!moreless

Not the SVU we know

By windseeker15, Feb 28, 2011

What is going on here?

The first part of the episode was pretty generic and has been done before (boy found wandering on the street in blood, nanny's dead, mom has been sleeping around with boyfriend, her husband isn't the boy's father, losts of daddy angst between him and Elliot, finally the husband shoots the unfaithful wife in the head). The whole point of the fisrt half seems intended to give Elliot the reason to ask Cathy if its really his kid.

The next half of the show was somewhat eventful but somehow predictable and a bit overdramatic. In my opinion the worst episode of the season, I just wish I hadn't chosen to ask my roomate to watch this particular episode with me (trying to make her a fan of the series). Way to lose a potential fan, guys.

What happened to the real SVU?!moreless

hug!!!! =D =D =D =D =D

By JayElleEmm, Feb 28, 2011

ok so i missed the first 15 minutes of this episode due to the fact that i was watching whitest kids on youtube and completely forgot it was tuesday!!! i was SO mad that i forgot. like what?!?!? i've been waiting for this episode forever!! but thats besides the point. about 40 minutes into the episode is when olivia and kathy get intot he crash. (drunk driver) which im surprised that olivia wasnt more struck, seeing as her mom was an alcoholic. but either way. when kathy is on the phone with elliot i think olivia has this look of "shut up... i love him.." kind of jealousy. and she should, i hate kathy. now when i first saw the commercial for this episode (i KNOw this sounds REALLY bad) but i was hoping that kathy and the baby would die. and elliot could be with olivia. horrible i know. but no, while watching it when i found out that kathy had the baby right then and there, i and kathy flatlined after the baby was already born, i was like AHH! i hope kathy dies. (still horrible i know). but come on. then olivia would have the baby she always wanted. and her and elliot could take care of it. it would have been the most perfect thing ever. i mean, sad for elliot and the kids, but olivia should be there! not kathy! im SO mad that kathy woke up. but THEN! at the end of the episode elliot hugs olivia!! YES! like full on "thank you.." hug. she saved his baby and his baby's mama... and she didnt get anything before that hug. she deserved it, i think she loves elliot and to save HIS wife... must suck.moreless

SVU tries its hand at a comedy episode.

Wait, that wasn't a comedy episode? Oh, SVU, say it ain't so...

By yoshinorimike, Feb 28, 2011

Ok. So right after I watched this episode last night, I was in a bit of a dazed state. I was confused, hurt, felt just a bit violated, and had only insults and horrible things to say and those wouldn't really be informative or helpful to anyone.

But now, with a little more distance from the episode and with my sheer indignance having subsided a bit, I think I'm in a better position to articulate exactly why this was one of the worst episodes I have ever seen, of any television show, let alone one of a pedigree as high as a member of the Law and Order franchise.

I haven't been watching new episodes at all recently, but I've been a fan of the whole franchise for quite a while, and I just caught a bunch of episodes of SVU and CI when TNT or TBS or whatever it was ran a marathon over Thanksgiving break, so some clear examples of the typical quality of a Law and Order episode were fresh in my mind.

But the entire time I was watching the episode, I just had this overwhelming impression that the whole thing was just utterly devoid of a fundamental sense of believability or intelligence. It's kind of like when you watch a D-grade action movie ("On Deadly Ground", a Steven Segal production from the early-90's is my perennial personal favorite example) and the actors are trying to sell this really poor dialogue and carry themselves with dignity and intensity through a ridiculous plot, and there's this level of forced and completely unconvincing seriousness that just causes you to burst out into laughter. That's the impression I got from this entire episode.

I was in shock for the first twenty minutes or so, but when I realized it wasn't going to end, I just went with the sheer camp ridiculousness of it all and was able to enjoy myself (albeit for all the wrong reasons). It really was entertaining for a while, but by the end I began to feel not a little sad. After all, it's one thing to see this level of quality in a Segal picture, but to see it on a show like SVU was truly wince-worthy. It was like these characters, so familiar and reliable, had become puppets, trapped in a parody of an SVU episode, conceived, written and executed by eighth graders. I mean, this wasn't just an unintentionally funny line or a cheesy one-liner embedded in a decent episode. There were whole scenes that would pile on ridiculous moments in bunches, amplifying them with these quick cuts, like they had been re-edited for some Youtube comedy clip or a Conan sketch. Come to think of it, the best comparison I can think of right now to what I witnessed in this episode are those Walker: Texas Ranger clips Conan likes to show. Imagine an episode composed entirely of those clips and presented to you with a completely straight face under the guise of a Law and Order: SVU episode, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect. Just don't expect to fully enjoy it. It's one thing to see someone parody a show you like, but to see it unintentionally parody itself was shocking and frankly, a little sad.

Like I mentioned earlier, I have not seen a new episode in a long time, so I'm hoping this was simply a one-time lapse into lunacy and not what all new SVU episodes are like. I'm also willing to concede that if I see it a second time, it may not be quite as bad as I remember it. But I assure you that I didn't go into this episode looking to tear it to shreds. I was expecting what you always expect from Law and Order, and what it has always delivered in the past, and it was only after twenty minutes of exposure to this deplorable dud and after I overcame my stunned silence that I began to laugh in astonishment.

After all, if anything, the Law and Order franchise is built on consistency, the consistent application of a winning formula, and while there is inevitably some variation in quality from episode to episode, this one just totally blew the bottom off the barrel. It was utterly astounding. But, hey, after all the other episodes and their legitimate and engaging drama, at least now we'll always have this black sheep on hand when we're in need of a good giggle. Get all your comedy and drama in one place with Law and Order: the first truly full-service TV franchise. That is of course, assuming that this isn't SVU's modus operandi these days, in which case, I won't be tuning in any more, at least not unless I'm particularly in need of some serious belly laughs. I wish you could take this one back, guys.

(P.S. is somehow not letting me rate this episode a zero, so I'll say that the one point is for the unintentional comedy, and what joy I got out of that.)moreless

Load More Reviews