Cabin Fever

Episode Reviews (51)

Superb

Revelations about who Locke was --- or are they?

By DavidB226Morris, May 09, 2010

Considering how exciting the flashbacks of Locke have been in the series, I was understandably excited to hear that we were getting another one in this episode. For the most part, it tells us things we already know about him--- his birth mother abandoned him, he was raised in foster care, he was a loser, he loved backgammon, and he had given up on ever walking again. However, 'Cabin Fever' shows us that even from the beginning of his life, Locke was special--- or was he? Later events will suggest that even now he might have been manipulated, and that manipulation is still going on even on the island.

We see that from the beginning of his life, he defied the odds. Born three months premature, he then fought off a series of illnesses to come out of the incubator. When he was given up for adoption, Richard Alpert was there watching him. Why is not clear yet, but he visits Locke at the age of five, saying that he represents a school for very special children. There, Locke clearly drew a picture of a man being attacked by a pillar of smoke suggesting that somewhere in his DNA, he knew something about the island. Richard then presents Locke with six objects--- a baseball glove, a Book of Laws, a vial of sand, a compass, a comic book, and a knife. He then says to him: "Take the ones that already belong to you." This would seem to be a test for the island. Locke takes the vial of sand, and the compass. Richard seems pretty excited. Locke then leans in, looks at the Book of Laws.--- Alpert looks like he's going to burst--- and then John chooses the knife. Considering how closely Locke is associated with knives (and later events) we would think this is the right choice. (especially cause we've still got no idea what the Book of Laws is) Whatever the reason, Richard turns away, and Locke is left behind.

Question: what is Richard doing in John's past, again appearing ageless. Back in season 4, the popular theory was that he was time traveling to the past exploring for candidates to be the chosen one. However, later evidence suggests that didn't happen. Richard was looking for Locke, but because of events that preceded what happened in this episode. It still doesn't explain why he looks exactly the same in 1956 than he does in 2004 (in fact, it makes it even less comprehensible) It does suggest why Richard may not have thought Locke was special but thought Ben was.

In high school, Locke is still getting stuffed in lockers, and even less popular. Again, he gets an offer from a science camp in Portland (not that different from what Juliet was offered), but Locke refused to give in, even though he's good at science. Locke's repeating of his motto "Don't tell me what I can't do," seems to show just as when he was an adult, Locke never trusted his own instincts. He did what was popular rather than what he was good at. And in the end, all it brought him was more pain.

The most telling flashback takes place in the hospital and involves a man we've seen before--- Matthew Abaddon, now disguised as an orderly. We then see him try to boost Locke's confidence, and plant the seed of the idea of the walkabout in his head. It's still unclear who he's working for, or why he seems so certain to try and put Locke on the path that will lead to the island. There were all sorts of theories about him after this--- one suggesting that, like Richard, he doesn't seem to age. I never bought this theory because a) it's only been, at most, five years between when we see him here, and 'The Beginning of the End', and b) Lance Reddick is such a skilled actor, he could be playing late twenties to early forties and you still wouldn't be sure unless the show told you. (I never could tell how old Cedric Daniels was on The Wire.)

On the island, Locke is still trying to find his way, but he seems to be getting waylaid. He then has a dream of Horace Goodspeed, who tells Locke he's been dead for twelve years, and seems to imply that he was the one to build the cabin that houses Jacob. Again, later evidence would suggest that this is highly unlikely, if only because the Dharma Initiative never seemed to have a clear idea just how special the island was. Otherwise, why would they have been fighting the others. Nevertheless, Locke does find a map in Horace's pocket that does seem to lead to the cabin. However, if this is true, how did Ben find Jacob in the first place? This would seem to be an indication that Jacob hasn't lived in this cabin always (and there's a strong implication he never did)

Eventually, Hurley is the one who finds the cabin, but we're still not sure how. Locke walks in the front door for the first time, but Jacob isn't there--- Christian Shephard is. Now since we saw him here last time we saw the cabin, that's not so strange. But Claire is also in the cabin, and she seems so at peace, the theory that she was dead would seem to hold some merit. Furthermore, rather than answer questions, Christian keeps asking them, finally forcing him to ask the question they need to know Given what we know now, it seems pretty clear that Jacob never asked these questions, especially because Christian is no longer wearing the suit he was buried in. Locke is still being manipulated, and he doesn't know how.

Ben probably could provide some answers, but for the first time since we've known him, he seems more passive than we've ever seen him. Is he upset that he has been usurped by Locke, or (more likely) has the death of Alex has taken all the fight out of him? Something's deflated him, and when he decides not to go into the cabin, it seems that he has nothing left to fight for.

Of course, all of this could be irrelevant based on what's happening on the freighter. What remains of the mercenaries have made it back, and somehow Keamy has survived, and he's is royally ticked. But for some reason, being attacked by the smoke monster hasn't made him want to run; he's just moving on to his secondary protocol. This causes Captain Gault, who is watching his ship fall apart, to mutiny. He helps Sayid and Desmond begin a plan to get everybody off the island. Then he tries to attack Keamy and tell him that this is too dangerous. But Widmore must be paying him a huge sum, because all he does is start killing people again, first the doctor, and throwing him overboard (and no, I still haven't figured out how he managed to show up on the beach yesterday), and then by shooting Gault. Frank clearly wants to rebel, but he's clearly no longer a willing participant, and he does his best to try and save the people on the island. (He would have been a bigger hero if he crashed the plane into the ocean, but maybe he knew there was still something he could do.) Keamy is going to kill everyone on this island, just as Ben prophesized --- unless they can do what Christian said and--- wait for it--- "move the island." Yeah, I thought it was lunacy, too, but given everything we've seen on the show so far, it doesn't sound that crazy, even then.

As any episodes that focus on Locke and Ben are, this was one of the high points of the season. Considering that a lot of the information we later learned was red herrings is what keeps me from ranking among the best ever. Still, the fine work of even a muted Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn's usual fine work makes this well worth watching. Locke probably was chosen, just as this episode says, but he kept denying his destiny. But if he'd known what being chosen truly meant, he might have thought twice about what he was being made to do.

Score:9.2moreless

What the heck is going on?

By VGFreak8, Apr 23, 2010

Locke has flashbacks to when he was born and when Richard thought he was special. Also, he has a high school flashback and a flashback to a conversation with a man telling him about the walkabout.

Locke, Hurley and Ben trek through the jungle in search of the cabin. Locke has a strange dream, where Horace, a dead Dharma member, tells him how to find the cabin. Locke goes to the Dharma grave and finds a map. He finds the cabin and goes in. He finds Jack and Claire's father, Christian, and Claire. Christian tells him to move the island.

On the freighter, Keamy finds out that Michael is the spy on the boat. He tries to kill him. The captain sends Sayid out to rescue the survivors. Desmond stays behind. Keamy takes matters into his own hands. When Frank refuses to fly the helicopter, Keamy kills the doctor. He also kills the captain. While flying over the island, Frank drops off a map to Jack and the survivors at the beach.

This episode was great! It was so confusing though. I want to know what's up with Christian and Claire. I really have no clue what's really going on. Apparently, the island is foward in time and not just time, but like time! That didn't make sense huh? Well, I give this episode a 9.5!moreless

Who doesn't love a Locke episode?

By Fitzycent, Apr 23, 2010

Really, Who doesn't love a Locke episode?

Honestly, I would have settle for the scenes with Locke, Ben, and Hurley. Hurley asking questions, John Locke trying to answer them and Ben just being his arrogant jerk of a self. The scene where they were standing by the Mass-Grave of Dharma people was freaky and cool at the same time. Locke's dream was really freaky, even it couldn't prepare us to see the mass grave and Ben's explaination. Also, I loved when Hurley gave Ben the piece of his candy bar!! too funny.

Plus we learn that Martin Keamy is a sick and twisted man and who killed the Doctor.moreless

A Locke-centric episode.

By Writer2000, Apr 23, 2010

Let me just start out by saying that all things considered, I enjoyed this episode, but I didn't like it as much I usually enjoy Lost. Although, Locke is one of my least favorite characters on the show, so I usually don't enjoy his episodes very much. One thing that I did like about this episode were the flashbacks of Locke's life. I thought that they were very interesting, and I liked getting to see flashbacks of Locke's life when he was a kid and when he was a teenager. I do think that this episode did a really good job of leading into the season finale though. In closing, I didn't enjoy this episode as much as I usually enjoy Lost, but I still thought that it was pretty well written, pretty well acted and pretty well made from everyone involved in the making of it, and I'm really excited to watch the three part season four finale of Lost again.moreless

Brings up interesting insights into Locke's background.

By penguinfish75, Apr 23, 2010

I started off in Season 1 with John Locke being my favorite character in the show. Slowly that began to change and Ben Linus was pretty even with Locke, just due to the mystery of his backstory. Eventually, Richard Alpert has become my favorite character - I really want to know what his history is. So this episode, featuring all three in significant roles, was one of my favorites. I know other reviews speak in detail about what happened specifically. What I loved, however, was how it showed that Locke was indeed special - or at least had the promise of being special, from birth. How is this possible? Who was Locke's father? Why was he not special enough to join the "hostiles" (Alpert) before he crashed on the island? If he is so special to Alpert and Jacob - how does this explain what eventually happens to him in Season 5? So many questions...but so perfectly Lost.moreless

A episode that can be great or good, with good setups, a imcomplete FB or without meaning yet and a interesting mini Adventure that ends up with a intriguing and vague ending.

By Dante_Edy, Jul 18, 2009

Plot Details/Objective -» Locke is the remaining character to be explored as the Main character in this episode before the season finale. This make things more difficult, because all about Locke was explored before in his past. But the Writers tried to tie with everything they could. Take for example Richard sudden appearance when Locke was born, why? This is a answer only for season 5 or 6. Even when Richard visited Locke, this is only a setup to explain more later. The last scene tried to make sense with Locke desire to be…….and that man that appeared for Hugo, he was with Locke before, and this feel forced, but we will see why he appeared in this flashback in the next season.

What I Like/Disliked -» I didn´t appreciate Locke editing flashbacks, It seemed not only forced some scene that tried to tie with the next two seasons, but the fact that you don´t have time to really appreciate none character development or any explanation. Like I predicted that was Christian that would talk with Locke and the writers managed to hide the secrets of the Island, because they are in a hurry. The ending was Lost Typical ending that I appreciate.

Overall:

Presentation -» (7/10). What was good at the presentation was the freighter situation, simply started to be interesting.

Complication Phase -» (8/10). Locke trying to find Jacob Cabin. The FB don´t enter here, The situation on the Freighter was more interesting.

Climax -» (8/10). The freighter situation with some deaths was more intense than any other scenes there. When Locke arrived and enter the Cabin was nice too, but nothing superb here.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (9/10). The type of ending that only Lost can deliver, strange, vague and mysterious.

Flashbacks -» (6/10). Nothing good here, because I can´t see the connection here. The details was nothing more than a tied technique, the more powerful technique that every writers has. Until the next season explain two scenes there, I stick with my rating.

Time and Scenes Management -» (9/10). The Locke´s FB was something that will have meaning more later, can´t say that all the scenes was for nothing. Locke mini adventure was intriguing as usual and the freighter scenes were intense.

Dialogues -» (9/10). The usual dialogues quality of Lost.

Action /Adventure -» (8/10). A mini adventure that ends with a intriguing and vague mission.

Drama/Emotions -» Didn´t notice any type of drama here.

Suspense/Tension -» (8/10). The freighter had some good scenes filled with tension.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (8/10). The usual good quality, nothing great here, until the confusing and vague ending mission.

Surprise/Twists -» (8/10). The ending, Claire appearance and Richard and that strange man being in Locke Flashback.

The FB seemed forced, the writers used the tie technique, putting some characters that we already know in Locke FB. The freighter plot is nothing more but a setup and Locke adventure ended the way everyone could expect, vague and intriguing. This episode is great, but can feel incomplete, but overall at least is a good episode.moreless

Locke is singled out as being more important to the show's mythology than all of the other characters.

By RobGrizz, Jan 17, 2009

I was one of the few that wasn't the biggest fan of this episode. This mostly has to do with the show's implication that John Locke must be the most important person on LOST. Sure, there was always something interesting about John, but I liked when they towed the line of "is he special or is he just a weirdo?" Now it seems full fledged that he has a destiny that is more important to the grand scheme of things, and his overall connection to the island is getting a little too sci-fi weird for my taste. Now we have to move the island? What? It's reasons like this that some viewers ditch this show. Let's keep things practical, please.moreless

I have to go back.......and watch this again.

By oceanic6, Dec 28, 2008

This awesome Lost installment has it all with hidden clues, mysterious visits, a few tests of faith, some deaths and a long awaited return to a certain cabin... Locke, Ben and Hurley set out to find Jacob's bachelor pad and Locke is given startling information on what he must do to protect the island from the freighterinos. Meanwhile on the freighter, things are getting tense as the mercenaries embark to commence the island bloodbath even if they must torture and murder to make it happen. This episode is clearly split in two; the laughs and mysteries being in the Locke, Ben, Hurley half with the action and suspense located on the freighter. The thing that doesn't belong are Locke's flashbacks which really don't seem to contain any of the above elements that would make it memorable even though Richard's un - aging ability raises a few eyebrows.

If anything, this episode is an elaborate drum roll to the epic finale which comes next and believe me, once you've seen the ending, next week can't come soon enough.

With this episode we say an abrupt "goodbye" to Dr. Ray and Captain Gault who are both killed by a visibly cold - blooded Keamy. Despite having the acting range of a tree; Keamy is the most evil character seen on Lost ever and we can't help but pray for the island inhabitants since he is leading the team who are en route to the island with the motivation to kill.

We also say two surprised "hellos" to Horace Goodspeed and Michael Abaddon, these two shady personalities are seen by Locke that offer advice to him but also raises questions.

I must express my disappointment surrounding Locke, Terry O'Quinn won a well - deserved Emmy for blowing us away last season but here he just seems asleep and hits all the obvious buttons. If my review makes little sense to the Lost rookies it reflects the actual show that has passed the setup point and is getting into the meat of the good-versus-evil battle and the voyage to find a way home, only time will provide the answers and outcomes.moreless

A Locke episode

By vicky24c, Aug 28, 2008

We open this episode with Emily, in the sixties being knocked down by a car and taken to hospital, where she tells them she is pregnant and gives birth to a boy. She asks them to name him John. Through out the episode we see John growing up as a child, and through different stages of his life. The helicopter arrives back at the ship. Sayid plans to go back to the Island with Desmond but at the last minute Desmond pulls out. Locke, Ben & Hugo go to find the cabin, where Jacob is. When the pilot (Frank) doesn't agree to fly the helicopter back to the island, one of them kills the doctor. He then also kills the caption of the ship. Frank then hires up the helicopter and they take off. Back on the island they see the helicopter and something drops out. It's a tracking system. When they arrive at the cabin, Ben and Hugo both decide not to go in, so Locke goes in alone. They wish him Good Luck. He goes in and there is someone else there (the man that visited him all though years ago as a child), who says he can speak on Jacobs behalf. Claire is also there. He tells John to ask the one question that really matters and John asks "How do I save the island?"

When he comes out he tells Ben and Hugo that Jacob wants them to move the island. They both look at him as if he has lost his mind. How can things happen on the island (like dead bodies) before they have actually happened?moreless

Load More Reviews