Cabin Fever

Episode Reviews (51)

Superb

What the heck is going on?

By VGFreak8, Apr 23, 2010

Locke has flashbacks to when he was born and when Richard thought he was special. Also, he has a high school flashback and a flashback to a conversation with a man telling him about the walkabout.

Locke, Hurley and Ben trek through the jungle in search of the cabin. Locke has a strange dream, where Horace, a dead Dharma member, tells him how to find the cabin. Locke goes to the Dharma grave and finds a map. He finds the cabin and goes in. He finds Jack and Claire's father, Christian, and Claire. Christian tells him to move the island.

On the freighter, Keamy finds out that Michael is the spy on the boat. He tries to kill him. The captain sends Sayid out to rescue the survivors. Desmond stays behind. Keamy takes matters into his own hands. When Frank refuses to fly the helicopter, Keamy kills the doctor. He also kills the captain. While flying over the island, Frank drops off a map to Jack and the survivors at the beach.

This episode was great! It was so confusing though. I want to know what's up with Christian and Claire. I really have no clue what's really going on. Apparently, the island is foward in time and not just time, but like time! That didn't make sense huh? Well, I give this episode a 9.5!moreless

Who doesn't love a Locke episode?

By Fitzycent, Apr 23, 2010

Really, Who doesn't love a Locke episode?

Honestly, I would have settle for the scenes with Locke, Ben, and Hurley. Hurley asking questions, John Locke trying to answer them and Ben just being his arrogant jerk of a self. The scene where they were standing by the Mass-Grave of Dharma people was freaky and cool at the same time. Locke's dream was really freaky, even it couldn't prepare us to see the mass grave and Ben's explaination. Also, I loved when Hurley gave Ben the piece of his candy bar!! too funny.

Plus we learn that Martin Keamy is a sick and twisted man and who killed the Doctor.moreless

A Locke-centric episode.

By Writer2000, Apr 23, 2010

Let me just start out by saying that all things considered, I enjoyed this episode, but I didn't like it as much I usually enjoy Lost. Although, Locke is one of my least favorite characters on the show, so I usually don't enjoy his episodes very much. One thing that I did like about this episode were the flashbacks of Locke's life. I thought that they were very interesting, and I liked getting to see flashbacks of Locke's life when he was a kid and when he was a teenager. I do think that this episode did a really good job of leading into the season finale though. In closing, I didn't enjoy this episode as much as I usually enjoy Lost, but I still thought that it was pretty well written, pretty well acted and pretty well made from everyone involved in the making of it, and I'm really excited to watch the three part season four finale of Lost again.moreless

With superb character development for Locke and Ben and guest appearances from Lance Reddick, Nestor Carbonell and Doug Hutchinson, Cabin Fever is a fine example of why Locke's episodes always deliver to the fans. Major spoilers.

By Lostrules1, Apr 23, 2010

The episode starts off with a flashback to a time before Locke was born. We discover that Locke's mother Emily had gotten pregnant with an older man that her mother didn't approve of. As she tried to run away however she was knocked over by a car and went into early labour. After John Locke is born, Emily realises that she is too young to become a mother and runs out. However one of the creepiest moments in the scene has to be when Emily's mother notices a strange man watching John from afar...and we realise that it is Richard Alpert, looking exactly the same as he always has. Who is this guy and why does he not age?

We then go to a flash of when John was five. He is in one of his many foster homes and soon his mother announces that a professor from a special school has come to offer John a place...and once again Richard walks into the room. Richard tells John that he has to pass a test and then lays out a number of items which include: a comic book, a bible, a vial of sand, a compass and a hunting knife. After observing these items, Locke chooses the knife but Richard is clearly angered and tells Locke's mother that he is not ready for the school. It is clear to fans that this scene is going to be one that we will have to closely analyse when confronted with Richard Alpert again. Why did he freak out when Locke picked the knife and what was that look of satisfaction on his face when Locke was handling the compass and the sand?

Locke's next flashback takes place when he is 16 and at school. His science teacher pulls him out of a locker that he has been stuffed into, after trying to fight with some older studants. His teacher comforts him and says that a special school by the name of Mittelos Bioscience (sound familiar) wants to recruit him for a summer school but Locke is immediately questionable and refuses to reply to them. When his teacher begins to tell him that he cannot live the life of a sportser and that he is destined to be a scientist, Locke screams his catchphrase and leaves the room. The final flashback of the episode (and you thought the previous four had been ambigious) takes place after Locke has broken both his legs. As he is being taken back to his hospital room by an orderly we realise that the orderly is none other than Matthew Abbadon, the creepy guy who visited Hurley in the future and was behind recruiting the science team. Abbadon talks to Locke about hope and destiny and then tells Locke that he needs to go on a walkabout to find himself. Locke is at first skeptical, after all he is in a wheelchair, but it is clear that he takes up the idea or he wouldn't have been on 815. But why did Abbadon pose as an orderly to talk to Locke? Why did he mention that they may see each other again? And did Abbadon know that Locke would end up on the island if he took Flight 815?

And now we come to the action on the island, which almost takes a backseat to the strange things that we are seeing in Locke's flashbacks. Locke, Ben and Hurley are still having no luck in finding Jacob's cabin but after having a vivid dream in which Horace Goodspeed tells him to go to the Dharma grave, Locke realises he is one step closer to his destiny. At the Dharma grave, Locke finds Horace's body and discovers a piece of paper in his pocket which turns out to be a map to Jacob's cabin. Apparently Horace was building the cabin before he died. With new directions the three set off and reach the cabin by nightfall. One character development through the episode seems to be how Locke is taking over Ben's role. After Locke has his dream, Ben recalls a time when he used to have dreams as well and realises that his time as Jacob's spokesperson is finally over. However instead of shooting John in the back as he has previously done he admirably accepts his fate and sends Locke into Jacob's cabin alone. Outside Ben and Hurley share one of the all time funniest moments in Lost when they share an apollo bar together. Inside the cabin Locke is confronted by Christian Shepard who reveals that he is not Jacob, but can speak on his behalf. Locke then realises that Claire is in the cabin and acting very strangely but she refuses to say how she came to be there. Finally Locke asks how he can save the island and Christian gives him an extremely strange answer...Jacob wants him to move the island. How can Locke move the island and if he moves it, then where will it end up? A side bar storyline that is going on in this episode is the story on the freighter. Frank, Keamy and the rest of the mercenaries return and reveal what happened to them at the Barracks. Keamy seems angry that Widmore refused to tell him about the Black Smoke and decides to go to the secondary protocol, which is that the mercenaries must go to the Orchid station to find Ben, because that is where he will go in times of trouble. Apparently orders were to get Ben from the orchid and then torch the island, killing everyone on it. Captain Gault tries to stop him but Keamy shoots him dead in cold blood. Frank at first refuses to take them to the island but after Keamy slits Doc Ray's throat, Frank agrees to protect everyone else's life. However he double crosses Keamy by putting a tracking signal on the helicoptor and then dropping the radio over the beechcamp. After Jack retrieves the radio he realises that the helicoptor wants them to follow it. Elsewhere on the freighter Michael is tied up for his crime of sabotaging the engine room, whilst Gault gives Sayid the Zodiac raft so he can go back to the island and start bringing survivors back to the freighter. Desmond refuses to go, saying he vowed never to return to the island if he left so Sayid goes alone, not knowing that Gault was murdered by Keamy or that they are on their way back to the island to torch it.

Overall Cabin Fever was one of the biggest highlights of season 4, in that it dealt with action scenes, mythology and character development. Locke taking over Ben's role was almost emotional, especially how Michael Emerson played it and Kevin Durand's performance as Keamy was almost good as Andrew Divoff's performance as Mikhail. Cabin Fever certainly set up for the season four finale and leaves the audience thinking how the Oceanic 6 are going to get together and finally get off the island.moreless

Brings up interesting insights into Locke's background.

By penguinfish75, Apr 23, 2010

I started off in Season 1 with John Locke being my favorite character in the show. Slowly that began to change and Ben Linus was pretty even with Locke, just due to the mystery of his backstory. Eventually, Richard Alpert has become my favorite character - I really want to know what his history is. So this episode, featuring all three in significant roles, was one of my favorites. I know other reviews speak in detail about what happened specifically. What I loved, however, was how it showed that Locke was indeed special - or at least had the promise of being special, from birth. How is this possible? Who was Locke's father? Why was he not special enough to join the "hostiles" (Alpert) before he crashed on the island? If he is so special to Alpert and Jacob - how does this explain what eventually happens to him in Season 5? So many questions...but so perfectly Lost.moreless

A episode that can be great or good, with good setups, a imcomplete FB or without meaning yet and a interesting mini Adventure that ends up with a intriguing and vague ending.

By Dante_Edy, Jul 18, 2009

Plot Details/Objective -» Locke is the remaining character to be explored as the Main character in this episode before the season finale. This make things more difficult, because all about Locke was explored before in his past. But the Writers tried to tie with everything they could. Take for example Richard sudden appearance when Locke was born, why? This is a answer only for season 5 or 6. Even when Richard visited Locke, this is only a setup to explain more later. The last scene tried to make sense with Locke desire to be…….and that man that appeared for Hugo, he was with Locke before, and this feel forced, but we will see why he appeared in this flashback in the next season.

What I Like/Disliked -» I didn´t appreciate Locke editing flashbacks, It seemed not only forced some scene that tried to tie with the next two seasons, but the fact that you don´t have time to really appreciate none character development or any explanation. Like I predicted that was Christian that would talk with Locke and the writers managed to hide the secrets of the Island, because they are in a hurry. The ending was Lost Typical ending that I appreciate.

Overall:

Presentation -» (7/10). What was good at the presentation was the freighter situation, simply started to be interesting.

Complication Phase -» (8/10). Locke trying to find Jacob Cabin. The FB don´t enter here, The situation on the Freighter was more interesting.

Climax -» (8/10). The freighter situation with some deaths was more intense than any other scenes there. When Locke arrived and enter the Cabin was nice too, but nothing superb here.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (9/10). The type of ending that only Lost can deliver, strange, vague and mysterious.

Flashbacks -» (6/10). Nothing good here, because I can´t see the connection here. The details was nothing more than a tied technique, the more powerful technique that every writers has. Until the next season explain two scenes there, I stick with my rating.

Time and Scenes Management -» (9/10). The Locke´s FB was something that will have meaning more later, can´t say that all the scenes was for nothing. Locke mini adventure was intriguing as usual and the freighter scenes were intense.

Dialogues -» (9/10). The usual dialogues quality of Lost.

Action /Adventure -» (8/10). A mini adventure that ends with a intriguing and vague mission.

Drama/Emotions -» Didn´t notice any type of drama here.

Suspense/Tension -» (8/10). The freighter had some good scenes filled with tension.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (8/10). The usual good quality, nothing great here, until the confusing and vague ending mission.

Surprise/Twists -» (8/10). The ending, Claire appearance and Richard and that strange man being in Locke Flashback.

The FB seemed forced, the writers used the tie technique, putting some characters that we already know in Locke FB. The freighter plot is nothing more but a setup and Locke adventure ended the way everyone could expect, vague and intriguing. This episode is great, but can feel incomplete, but overall at least is a good episode.moreless

Locke is singled out as being more important to the show's mythology than all of the other characters.

By RobGrizz, Jan 17, 2009

I was one of the few that wasn't the biggest fan of this episode. This mostly has to do with the show's implication that John Locke must be the most important person on LOST. Sure, there was always something interesting about John, but I liked when they towed the line of "is he special or is he just a weirdo?" Now it seems full fledged that he has a destiny that is more important to the grand scheme of things, and his overall connection to the island is getting a little too sci-fi weird for my taste. Now we have to move the island? What? It's reasons like this that some viewers ditch this show. Let's keep things practical, please.moreless

I have to go back.......and watch this again.

By oceanic6, Dec 28, 2008

This awesome Lost installment has it all with hidden clues, mysterious visits, a few tests of faith, some deaths and a long awaited return to a certain cabin... Locke, Ben and Hurley set out to find Jacob's bachelor pad and Locke is given startling information on what he must do to protect the island from the freighterinos. Meanwhile on the freighter, things are getting tense as the mercenaries embark to commence the island bloodbath even if they must torture and murder to make it happen. This episode is clearly split in two; the laughs and mysteries being in the Locke, Ben, Hurley half with the action and suspense located on the freighter. The thing that doesn't belong are Locke's flashbacks which really don't seem to contain any of the above elements that would make it memorable even though Richard's un - aging ability raises a few eyebrows.

If anything, this episode is an elaborate drum roll to the epic finale which comes next and believe me, once you've seen the ending, next week can't come soon enough.

With this episode we say an abrupt "goodbye" to Dr. Ray and Captain Gault who are both killed by a visibly cold - blooded Keamy. Despite having the acting range of a tree; Keamy is the most evil character seen on Lost ever and we can't help but pray for the island inhabitants since he is leading the team who are en route to the island with the motivation to kill.

We also say two surprised "hellos" to Horace Goodspeed and Michael Abaddon, these two shady personalities are seen by Locke that offer advice to him but also raises questions.

I must express my disappointment surrounding Locke, Terry O'Quinn won a well - deserved Emmy for blowing us away last season but here he just seems asleep and hits all the obvious buttons. If my review makes little sense to the Lost rookies it reflects the actual show that has passed the setup point and is getting into the meat of the good-versus-evil battle and the voyage to find a way home, only time will provide the answers and outcomes.moreless

A Locke episode

By vicky24c, Aug 28, 2008

We open this episode with Emily, in the sixties being knocked down by a car and taken to hospital, where she tells them she is pregnant and gives birth to a boy. She asks them to name him John. Through out the episode we see John growing up as a child, and through different stages of his life. The helicopter arrives back at the ship. Sayid plans to go back to the Island with Desmond but at the last minute Desmond pulls out. Locke, Ben & Hugo go to find the cabin, where Jacob is. When the pilot (Frank) doesn't agree to fly the helicopter back to the island, one of them kills the doctor. He then also kills the caption of the ship. Frank then hires up the helicopter and they take off. Back on the island they see the helicopter and something drops out. It's a tracking system. When they arrive at the cabin, Ben and Hugo both decide not to go in, so Locke goes in alone. They wish him Good Luck. He goes in and there is someone else there (the man that visited him all though years ago as a child), who says he can speak on Jacobs behalf. Claire is also there. He tells John to ask the one question that really matters and John asks "How do I save the island?"

When he comes out he tells Ben and Hugo that Jacob wants them to move the island. They both look at him as if he has lost his mind. How can things happen on the island (like dead bodies) before they have actually happened?moreless

Load More Reviews