Catch-22

Episode Reviews (104)

Superb

Necessary Setup???

By Dante_Edy, Jun 15, 2010

Objective - » Since Desmond is one of the Main Cast Characters, and the episodes were he was the Main character was so successful, the producers decided to build one more episode about him, since he was impossible to put a episode about him later in the season. So, you have is flashbacks and mission on the Island as the primary focus and the Kate subplot reaction about Jack. Good material or so it seemed.

Flashbacks -» Pure from Boring Kingdom. The beginning can fail to catch your attention. The complication phase is inexistence, the climax is not there and you simple don´t care for an ending.

Event on The Island -» Just wasting your time. The beginning was strong, but then, the complication phase was about Desmond deciding to save Charlie or not. I didn´t Catch the Climax, and the ending does not justify the whole structure of this episode.

Kate Reaction -» Kate subplot was really strange. Her slut reaction to Sawyer was something that does not make sense to me. In the Middle, what was cool was seeing Sawyer reaction, when he learn why Kate did it. Maybe this was the Climax of this subplot, because Sawyer made some minor jokes that is funny anyway.

Overall:

1 - Plot Holes: Silver. Didn´t Noticed but I didn´t care either. The only thing here that is strange is Kate Slut reaction, which is something that does not make any sense to me.

2 - Time and Scenes Management: Bad. Showing us what would happen in the beginning of this episode was a bad idea from the writers, since you wait too long for the part you want to see and with the flashbacks, this became very boring.

3 - Surprises/Twist/Shocks/Cliffhangers: The beginning can get you by surprise, this was well done, the ending is a surprise, but not very interesting yet.

4 - Action: None, but wasn´t an episode for this.

5 - Funny: Bronze. The Ghost Story Scene made by Jin. Maybe some comments between Hugo and Charlie.

6 - Drama: .Bronze. Almost Irrelevant. The Scene with his loved one was nice.

7 - Tension/Fear: Weak. Almost inexistent.

8 - Excitement Level (curiosity/Mystery/Doubt/Revelations: Nearly Bronze - . Maybe you want to know what happens with Charlie, but when the episode begins to be boring, it is difficult to care and is impossible to him to die, only if was Charlie flashback in game, like many other character like Ana Lucia, Shannon and Eko maybe this would become true.

Overall, this episode was unnecessary, maybe the ending, but the entire episode is about wasting time and does not have the ability to entertain for too long, only if you are a super fan that rate 10 or 9 to every episode.moreless

Another vital episode, but not for the reason we thought at the time

By DavidB226Morris, Jun 15, 2010

It is now becoming increasingly clear that Desmond is the wild card in the island. The Others may know everything about the survivors of Flight 815, but they clearly had no idea about Desmond's existence. They didn't know about his boat, and when Juliet was getting set up in the final scene of the previous episode, she looked at Desmond without any hint of recognition at all. Because of this, there's an excellent chance that he will be the savior of those on the island. The first time this becomes possible occurs here in 'Catch-22' Once again his flashes are telling him that Charlie's life hangs in the balance, but this time, if he doesn't let fate carry through, there's a good chance that the other part of his vision won't come true--- and this time, the vision involves rescue from Penelope.

Each flashback in Desmond's past seems to be happening before the previous one, and this one has another huge shock --- he was a monk, which also explains why he calls everybody 'brother'. Furthermore, before he became a man of the cloth, he was engaged to a woman named Ruth. He left her at the altar because he believed he had a higher calling, but as always the women who love Desmond see through his facade. She tells him" next time you want to break up with someone... just tell the girl you're too bloody scared." (Unfortunately, he won't learn his lesson, will break up with Penelope for the exact same reason, and hear almost the exact same line from her.) The interesting thing comes after he breaks his vow of silence to talk with Ruth, and then proceeds to get liquored up (Desmond seems to get more drunk than anyone else on the island) He is then fired by Brother Campbell who tells him that he has some kind of destiny before him, but God isn't part of it. (Which leads us to wonder is someone else leading Des on? In the last flashback, we can see that there is a photo of Ms. Hawking, a.k.a. the ring lady from 'Flashes Before Your Eyes'. Is it possible that he is somehow leading him down this path.) Before the flashbacks ends, we also see Campbell last act was to inadvertently introduce Desmond to Penny, who is buying wine for her father.

Now that he's on the island, Desmond is no longer running. He tried to get away from his destiny before--- he ran when he thought the hatch was going to explode, got onto a boat and tried to escape--- but he couldn't get away. But now Desmond is trying to move forward, now that he sees another of his flashes, and this one seems to lead to Penelope.

We know that Penelope has been searching for the island, and now Desmond seems to get proof. But in order for his vision to become a reality, he needs Jin, Hurley and Charlie to take him on a journey. While they are out camping, they see lights in the sky, and what appears to be a helicopter, and soon evidence that someone parachuted out, and that person may well be Penny. But in order for this to work, Charlie needs to run into one of Rousseau's traps, and he has to take an arrow to the neck.

Once again, however, his basic goodness gets in his way, and he saves Charlie. But as soon he does, he thinks he has changed destiny, and that now Penny won't be there--- which would seem to be borne out by the fact that Penny is not the woman in the plane. But if you watch the flash carefully, you can see that Charlie and Jin were there while Desmond cut the woman down, meaning he had to be there in order to save her. Was the flash giving him conflicting information? Or did fate change so that Penny wasn't there? We will later see that Penny was nearby, but is it possible that she really would have saved them then?

Meanwhile, on the beach, things are returning to normal, sort of. The triangle of Jack, Kate and Sawyer has be reformed, only now, it's become a square with the coming of Juliet. Kate is glad to have Jack back, but now he's been distant and unfamiliar, and seems to favor Juliet instead of her. This leads to another shift which ends up putting Kate willingly in Sawyer's arms. He's got a catch-22 of his own in that he loves Kate, but she still seems to be carrying a torch for Jack. however, those feelings are what drive her to Sawyer's bed. However, in typical Sawyer fashion, he doesn't seem to mind that he's being used as long as he gets what he wants. He can live with this--- for now.

Whichever side of the Jack-Kate-Sawyer triangle you come down upon--- and I was one who didn't hold much care for either--- Desmond's love for Penny may be far more vital. Was this woman sent by Penelope? We will later learn that she wasn't. Then why did she have a photograph of Desmond with her? Why was Desmond the first word out of her mouth? We will later learn a lot about this woman--- and it will be very difficult determining how much of what she said was true. The episodes centered around Desmond's are easily becoming the most eagerly awaited of the bunch, not just because Cusick is such a fine actor or because the love story is taking on the appearance of epic proportion, but because unlike most of the people on this island, Desmond seems to be the most eager to go. He wasn't on the plane, but it's becoming clear his destiny his ensnared with those of the passengers on it. The question is, will this destiny eventually be true for everybody?

My score:9.5moreless

Has rescue fianlly arrived?

By martync7, Jan 04, 2009

Following Desmond's last two centric episodes, both of which are favourites of mine, the earliest of which, "Live Together, Die Alone", Season 2's finale, is currently at time of writing this review my favourite episode of the series, the anticipation of "Catch 22" was well-deserved. So too was the payoff that this episode should have rewarded us. However, this episode is a slight disappointment. On one hand it provides us with an old fashioned adventure, something that prior to perhaps the Enter 77 arc, was sadly absent from the series. The adventure had been something that had been missing from the first half of the season when we were stuck in the cages of the Hydra Island. But once Kate decides to embark on her "Rescue Jack" mission [perhaps the best thing that Kate has done for the series so far] the adventure we all loved from the first seson returned.

And even though there have been more stalls in between the sense of adventure has returned. In "Catch 22" the adventure feels like it was inspired by Season 1's "Numbers" and so it is rather ironic that "Rousseau's spiky death traps" and the Cable, two things that were memorable parts of that episode return here. Unfortunately, the same excitement that "Numbers" generated from that Jungle quest isn't mirrored here and this brings up the other hand of "Catch 22", which is that despite the promise of adventure the episode doesn't feel adventurous enough. Much of the first half of the episode is spent amongst the survivors arguing over Desmond's visions and his attempts to form the camping party. All this provides some comic moments but is also largely uneccesary and only stalls the adventure to come. When they do start their trek all that seems to happen for a while is whistling, ghost stories told round the camp fire and more arguments over the visions Desmond has. It is not until Charlie's near death that things start to get interesting.

Elsewhere on the island thelove triangle or quadrangle now, is given some quality time, which drags the episode even more.

The potential for the episode, as promised with the shocking teaser, doesn't reveal itself until the very end when Desmond sees the fallen Parachutist in the tree. This moment when the identity of the parachutist is revealed is perfectly mixed with the flashback in which Desmond meets Penny. The emotion and anticipation of that final moment builds well and Henry Ian Cusick's performance in this moment is great to behold. You're left wondering who the hell the parachutist is when it is revealed not to be Penny. If it wasn't for this final moment, the mini-adventure, and Charlie's near-death experience then this episode would have fared less for me. It was particularly nice to see the Cable again. The last time we saw it was Season 1 and since then some fans were wondering what the heck is was for and if it was connected to an underwater station. Mikhail mentioned an underwater beacon and that cables run down to it in "Enter 77" and "Par Avion". Despite not giving us any information on the cable and its purpose, in light of the exposition that had gone before, fans convinced in themselves that an underwater DHARMA station existed and that they would one day see it. Their prayers were duly answered by the end of the season.

For all those fans that didn't lie awake at night thinking about Cables, the rest had forgotten about it. Despite Hurley and Sayid respectively discovering the cable only 2 months ago island time, it feels like an eternity for the viewers, even without the live first broadcasts.

The writers keep risking showing us something and then not raising it back up until several seasons later. We don't even know what Adam and Eve are yet and they were discovered before even the Cable.

However, returning to the cable in this episode, onlyt helps to allay fears that the writers don't know what they are doing. Even if they don't know what they are doing at least they don't forget things that have introduced seasons ago and this is a good sign.

Lost gets sexed up again in this episode as a seductive Kate visits Sawyer's tent for some sex. All this lovey-dovey stuff is not necessary to the Lost plotline but it does help keep Lost an all-rounder. Lest we forget that the series isnot just a sci-fi series and not just about an island. One thing that did peturbe me was the fact that there wasn't that much tension with Juliet this episode. Sawyer was all over Juliet with threats in "One of Us" but in this episode he remains at bay and any suspicions with Jack are held off too. Why would Sawyer be so reticent with Jack, enough to play Table Tennis with him or joke to him in front of Juliet. Luckily suspicions are raised again soon but this seems a little inconsistent, reminding me of when Claire was abducted and the next thing that Jack and Kate did was argue over a case.

Lost does not want to repeat this literary technique too often. Lost is a series which relies on its momentum and you feel that it is building at this stage of the series. And it would only get better.....moreless

A Desmond-centric episode.

By Writer2000, Nov 13, 2008

All things considered, I absolutely loved this episode. All of the story lines in this episode were great. In my opinion, the flashbacks of Desmond's life were great. I loved the whole story line with Kate being upset about Jack and Juliet spending time together and seducing Sawyer in order to make herself feel better. That was definitely my favorite story line of the episode since Sawyer is one of my most favorite characters on the show. I only wish that Juliet had been featured more in this episode. All in all, I thought that this was a very well written, well acted, well made episode of Lost from everyone involved, and I can't wait to watch the rest of my Lost: Season Three DVD set.moreless

We have another series of flashbacks, in order to understand Desmond better this time, not his visions but his life upto the intial meeting with Jack in the stadium that time. We also see the jealousy in Kate,which causes her to have some mixed emotions.

By captainbritain, Jun 28, 2008

We see Desmond going through the jungle and we see that Charlie trips a wire and gets shot in the adam's apple by a crossbow bolt, then we see a parachutist hanging from the trees and Des cutting them down. We then see that it is one of Desmonds apperitions or foretellings. We then go back to reality and see that Des is talking to Charlie, explaining that they have to go on a little hike / overnighter, Charlie is all for it, especially when Des says that he can't tell him about it yet, but that they need to rope in Hurley and Jin.

We have flashbacks to Des, this time in an abbey, talking to a monk regarding the task of silence as a test, some people take a day, some a week and some that need more time then longer. We then see Des robed and being a monk, putting labels on the bottles of wine and being told that it is £100 per bottle. Then a visitor comes into see Brother Desmond, punches him and then asks for forgiven.

We see that all the boys are packed for their boys outing, explaining to Jin the notion of camping, he is all game, so they trek along the beach until they find the cable in the sand, as foretold by Des as he pictures the events unfold as predicted. They camp the night at the spot on the beach.

Flashback time to Des, this time explaining to a girl, why with only hours to go until the wedding he called it off, even though everything was bought and paid for, she says it was a good job that he was helped up by a monk rather than a shepherd !!!!

We see Des having images in his head, a helicopter, a parachutist, a red flashing light then it is time to wait and see for it to play through, but it still has Charlie with an arrow in his neck.

We go back to the Abbey, with Des getting drunk on the wine, the head abbott not being too pleased and sacking him. Then Des handing back his robe the following day and being asked that if he helps with some loading then he'll get a lift into town. The loading is for Penny Widmore, who hits it off with Des.

The helicopter can be heard, it crashes, but he is forced to wait til first light before exploring, which they do, they find a rucksac on a rest, they prevent Charlie getting an arrow in the neck and then we see the parachutist, who calls Desmonds name, he removes the helmut but its not Penny.moreless

wow!

By efc91, Jun 09, 2008

Led by flashes, Desmond coaxes Charlie, Hurley and Jin on a trek across the jungle where they discover Naomi, a parachutist. Kate turns to Sawyer after seeing Jack alone with Juliet. Flashbacks show Desmond's time as a monk and his meeting Penny. What a start to an episode we all thought Charlie had it there but alas my friends it was one of Desmonds visions, but this kept us on the edge of our seats (as usual), waiting to see if Charlie gets saved or not.

What an end aswell, another amazing twist in the Lost storyline a helicopter crash with a women survivour we have never seen before.moreless

Desmond !!!

By Kadodian, Apr 28, 2008

Boring is one word you might describe this episode but I described it as a small break from the excitement. From the beginning of the third season of Lost I have been sitting on the edge of my seat jumping up and down from the adrenolin rush Lost always gives me so this episode was more of a calm down kind of episode. Nothing much happened. Desmond sees Charlie's death again but he also sees Penny ( the love of his life ) land on the island but Charlie has to die for that to happen so Desmond is torn between sacrificing Charlie or the probability of him not seeing Penny again. The episode was alright. I never expected Lost to sink to a rating lower than eight but these things happen. Favorite character from this episode : Penny !! I liked how she flirted with Desmond in his flashbacks. She has atittitude !! Friends oponions : 1) 3 out 10. 2) 10 out of 10. 3) 9 out of 10. 4) 8 out of 10. 5) 10 out of 10.

Episode spotlight was on : Desmond :) Great stuffmoreless

Penny?

By VGFreak8, Apr 06, 2008

Desmond has flashbacks to when he became a monk, got fired, and met Penny.

Desomond has visions of him, Hurley, Jin, and Charlie in the jungle. Charlie dies and someone new and special to Desmond may be on the island. They see a flare. They find a backpack and a picture of Desmond and Penny. Desmond saves Charlie. They find someone hanging from a tree. Desmond believes it is Penny, but it is not. Kate seems jealous of Jack and Juliet. She sleeps with Sawyer.

This episode was great! I don't think Kate should've done that with Sawyer because of jealousy. The Penny thing was interesting! I think she is looking for him. This episode gets a 9.0!moreless

Continuation of the ridiculous Lost love quadrangle of doom that everyone's had just about enough of already

By gwen13579, Jan 08, 2008

How many times can the writers point out to us that Kate wants to have her cake and eat it too? Throughout all the seasons so far, she's had Jack and Sawyer right where she wants them and her and Sawyer finally acted on their feelings in the latest season, which Jack was aware of. The producers led us to believe 'whoever Kate chooses in the mini-arc will be her definitive choice'. Well, either they've got selective memory issues, or they're taking us for fools with this one. Because guess what? The triangle? Still not over. And there's a new member now, Juliet, making it a love rhombus I guess.

Jack and Juliet would potentially make a great couple. She brings out a side of Jack that is actually endearing, which I never thought I'd say. But that damn Kate keeps getting in the way. Jack impressed me in the scene with Kate; he sort of shrugged her off, pretending to be noticing her flirting but not really acting like he cares either - all I can say is, well done Jack. Kate does stupid things in this episode like licking a spoon before sharing it with Jack, getting jealous of Jack eating dinner with Juliet, and going to Sawyer's tent and making the moves on him - whilst crying. Oh, please. Writers, why bring Kate down to this level? Why keep centering her between Jack and Sawyer like this? She's merely 'the object of the main guy leads' affections' in this show, and the whole thing's just silly and getting really old now.

The Desmond-related scenes were the saving graces of the episode. Yes, the stuff with saving Charlie once again is repetitive, but the episode's climax with the woman parachuting onto the island is well worth watching. I think this should be a lesson to the writers - cut down on the Jack-Kate-Sawyer melodrama, especially if you can't write decent dialogue for them in the romantic sense.moreless

Load More Reviews