Confidence Man

Episode Reviews (49)

Superb

By Canogaparkcindy, Apr 03, 2011

The plot thickens as they say with this week's episode of Lost. What I love about this show thus far is that every episode brings some sort of substantial development. I know it's a little too early to be raving about the show in it's eighth episode, but I just love this format.

So I wasn't crazy excited about the Sawyer centric episode but I surely was in for a pleasant surprise. We delve in to the very sad life of Sawyer. The Kate & Sawyer interactions were the best of the episode, I hope these two continue to be in scenes together.

Now I really don't hope anything happens between Michael & Sun, but their interactions were good too. Charlie & Claire, obvious awesome interactions. The peanut butter scenes was nice. I wonder how the writers will incorporate Sayid's departure in future episodes. Overall superb episode of Lost that brought us a lot of substantial development.moreless

Awesome.

By Sarah_LOST, Oct 12, 2010

Sawyer is suspected of hoarding some asthma inhalers from the wreck. Sayid tortures Sawyer, who reveals to Kate that he does not have them. Sayid sets off to explore the island's shoreline in self-imposed isolation, needing time to come to terms with his actions in torturing Sawyer. Kate reads a letter that Sawyer always carries around, which reveals that "Sawyer" is an alias. When Sawyer was a child, a man known as Sawyer conned and slept with his mother, who was killed by young Sawyer's father in a murder-suicide. Young Sawyer vowed, in the letter, to give the letter to the original Sawyer. Later, Sawyer became a con-man and took the name of the original Sawyer. In flashbacks, Sawyer tries to con a husband and wife, but gives up when he discovers that they have a son. Wow- another awesome episode from LOST. We learnt about the awesome and hot i might add Sawyer. I love the whole storyline about Shannon having a asthma attack. I love the part where everyone is blaming Sawyer - awesome. I love Sawyer and Kate parts in the episode. Jack and Sawyer ...FIGHT - love it. Chalir and Claire - I love them and their peanut butter.moreless

You Gotta Be Inhaled To Get The Inhaler

By Rufam, Dec 27, 2009

Sayid tortures Sawyer into turning in Shannon's asthma inhaler. Kate does the same thing if you replace "torture" with "hot kissin' under-a-tree". When it turns out that Sawyer doesn't have the inhaler, Sayid leaves. On the bright side, Jack is still here to teach us how to be a heroic, sweaty leader and an unhesitating, sweaty torturer at the same time. -

Sawyer's first flashback episode was slightly underwhelming, mainly because of the great permise of his character. His backstory is quite interesting and touching but the flashbacks do not fully utilize that, their main flaw being bad time management. On the Island, nothing really spectacular happened, although I did like the Kate-Sawyer kiss (despite Kate's presence) and Sayid's departures sets up the next, improved episode. Overall, the episode was good but not terrific.moreless

Sawyer and his Drama!!!!

By Dante_Edy, Jun 16, 2009

Comparing with the previous episode, it is a little difficult to define if the two episodes could be the same.

Sawyer has his drama like everyone else, however, he has a strange desire of being hated by all, as if he wanted to punish ifor something that did. And this is what his flashbacks are there, not only they inform what he did, as it explains exactly his drama. The usual twist near the end is good and makes sense.

Others events in the island besides sawyer wasn´t too interesting, the writers put the things in a simple way.

And since there wasn´t a strong end, this episode deserves a note of 8.5moreless

This con is one that needs to be played out

By DavidB226Morris, Dec 22, 2008

Everybody in the island is keeping secrets, but right now the most mysterious one is Sawyer, who, unless I've been lax in paying attention the first seven episodes, has never even mentioned his name to anyone until now, when everyone seems to know it. The logical explanation is that he told Kate, who up until now has been the only person he's revealed anything to, and she told the others. However, I have a different theory, which I will explain in a little while.

In his flashbacks, we see that Sawyer was e con man, taking thousands off people, and seemingly not caring who he hurts. The flashbacks show this is a very particular act that's he probably done many times with few variations. They're big many cons to--- $160,000 in the one he does here From his attitude, it seems like he's the man in the letter that we've seen him read a couple of times--- which in this episode, tells the story of a boy whose mother he seduced, took money from his father, who then killed his mother and himself. That seems to be the con we're seeing here until the episodes conclusion when we learn that Sawyer wrote the letter after his family was destroyed. He's spent his lifetime hunting this man, and in the process has taken on his name and character.

Now, on the island Sawyer has a chance for a clean slate, which may have been why he held off giving his name for as long as he did. However, he has held on to the loathing and anger so long, he can not relinquish it. That is why he has taken on the worst aspects of man on this island, going through the luggage of dad people, creating a hoard, and generally being s jerk It's not until 'Confidence Man' that we see how deep the hatred is.

When Boone comes looking through his luggage for Shannon's asthma inhaler, he beats the crap out of him. Boone goes to Jack with his suspicions, and Jack, who from day one hasn't liked Sawyer, goes after demanding them. That's when things get ugly.

Sayed, who has his own reasons for enmity against Sawyer, offers to help obtain the information. Turns out, in the Republican Guard, he learned torturing skills. (We'll find out soon enough how he learned them) He then goes to work on Sawyer, in a brutal scene. I've seen a lot of torture on 24 and Alias, but it has a much more desperate and realistic feeling, mainly because Sayed clearly doesn't want to do it. When in an act of frustration, he buries a knife in an artery, he looks utterly horrified at what he has done.

What makes the scene so brutal is that Sawyer never had the inhalers. For starters, he never does anything to imply that he's got them, and he clearly doesn't seem at all upset about what's being done, and while Sawyer has been a colossal jerk he never does anything that will really hurt a castaway (Not helping is something different). The entire exercise was one in self-punishment, something that he wanted to make the real Sawyer feel all the pain he does, at least that what he thinks.

It also explains his relationship with Kate. It's mainly been flirtations and salaciousness on his part, but look at his face when Kate finally is about to kiss him. Even though this is a supposedly a trade for the inhalers, he wants some human contact. (And it didn't look like Kate was just going through the motions on her part) He's never had meaningful relationship, but he clearly wants Kate. Trouble is, he can't have her, because he doesn't believe that he (or the real Sawyer) is deserving of love. We see that when in the final flashback when the appearance of the child of his current marks jolts him back to reality.

The episode also brings out an unpleasant side of Jack's characters. He's pledged to save lives and protect the survivors, but he clearly doesn't think Sawyer qualifies. Part of this is because of his jealousy of Kate's attraction to him, but a lot of hit has to do with the morality he seems to swear to. Jack doesn't like people who don't follow his code, and he will demonstrate that over and over on the island.

Sayed is clearly pissed. He thinks (even though he doesn't say it while he's torturing him ) that Sawyer is the man who injured him and destroyed the transmitter in the previous episode, which gives him another reason to go after him. But we can see that this is a path he did not want to go down again. His reaction to this is to leave the beach in an attempt to map the island proper, and get away from the person he was. Though Shannon's fate is at the center of the episode, we don't see a great deal of her. However, her behavior is one of real alarm and concern, making it the first time she hasn't acted like a hollow idiot We may not like her, but we don't want her to get sick. It's also interesting that despite all of the horrible things that are being done to help her, Sun ends up being the one to save her by creating a paste out of eucalyptus. There's definitely a cost as she has to go to Michael to get it done, which makes Jin, who is already wary, even more suspicious of his wife.

We only see Locke in a cameo when Sayed questions him about what happened. Notice that Locke is the one who points (without actually accusing) the finger of suspicion at Sawyer, as well as giving him the knife he ultimately sticks on Sawyer's arm. Also note that he says the attacker might be someone who has a motive to stay on the island, which Locke clearly has. Is he conspiring to deceive? We're going to find very soon that he's good at that.

The rest of the actors are seen in cameo. It's now pretty clear that Charlie has a thing for Claire as he tries to lure her into the caves. He goes through a somewhat hysterical search for it bef0re finally bringing her imaginary peanut butter. Considering what happens, it's pretty clear that their something going on between the two of them.\We also only see Hurley in a couple of short but funny scenes, one where he calls Jack calming Shannon down to avert an asthma attack a 'Jedi moment', and one where Charlie gently points out that even though they've been on the island two weeks (or nine days, if you've been counting) he hasn't lost any weight. Could this be another of the island's mystical powers, because none of them look like their starving either?

Sawyer is one of the more complicated characters on the show, and will be treading the path between darkness and light several times during the course of the series. He's a bully, a jerk, and a redneck, yet their is something almost charming about him. (Then again, that is a vital trait of a con artist). We still don't know what Sawyer's ultimate fate is? Will he survive? Be redeemed? Get Kate? Let go of his past? It's clear as he holds a lighter over the letter that he wants too, but right now, he can not find the strength to do it. Will this be his test of the island?

My score:8.5moreless

Como Sawyer

By napen, Aug 29, 2008

Como Sawyer, te necesito. Como Sawyer daría cualquier cosa por un beso tuyo. Soportaría todo lo necesario, moriría.

Como él me cuesta tanto expresarte lo que siento, galaxias enteras. Sos hermosa, lo sos.

Horas miraría tu rostro sin siquiera notar el movimiento de las filosas agujas del eterno tren del tiempo. Semanas jugarían mis labios con los tuyos. Infinitos mis manos seduciendo las tuyas, mi cuerpo amando el tuyo.

Juntaría todas las hojas caídas, todas las gotas de rocío y formaría con ellas nuestro hogar.

Si tan sólo supieras, Laura...

Como Sawyer, si tan sólo supieras todo lo que hay detrás de esta coraza de metal...moreless

One of my favorites!

By hippy_91, Aug 02, 2008

This is the first Sawyer centric episode.

I liked this episode mainly because it showed that there is a good human being inside Sawyer.

The episode is basically about Sawyer having Shannons asthma medicine and not giving it back when she's having attacks. But he really doesn't have it. He just acts like he does. He ends up getting tortured by Sayid. Which that's never good, lol. He tells Kate he doens't have it, then Kate elbows him in the face.

In the end Kate discovers why Sawyer is such an angry person who wants everyone to hate him. It's because when he was just eight years old, a man con his parents by sleeping with Sawyers mom, then stealing his dads money. It's also revealed that his dad killed his mom then turned the gun on himself. Sawyer wrote a note to the man, so one day when he found him, he'd know what he did to him. But the sad thing is that he became the man who ruined his life. He became a con-man.

In his flashback he was about to do the same thing to a couple. But then saw they had a kid. He didn't do it because he didn't want to ruin a childs life and have them end up just like himself. I liked that because it showed that Sawyer was in fact a good person.moreless

More character in-depth introductions, this time it is with Sawyer, the one that shot the marshall in the chest and is the chain smoking rebelious one of the group to date.

By captainbritain, Jun 19, 2008

We see Sawyer in bed with a beautiful woman, him being late for a meeting and grabbing a briefcase off of the top of a wardrobe in a hotel suite, only for alot of money to come tumbling out of it. Then the flasback ends and he is in the forest when he hears a noise, it is someone going through his stash of stuff, so being mad he beats him up. Sayad has triangulated on a certain spot, only to be hit on the back of the head and rendered unconscious.

The lad explains to Jack that his sisters asthma medicine has gone missing from his backpack, and as Sawyer has his book and pack, it only goes to reason that he has the medicine too. Jack goes to get the medicine back, nearly gets drawn into a fight but doesn't succumb to his savage primial instincts to do some serious harm to Sawyer.

Kate goes to talk to Sawyer, who offers an exchange of the inhalers for a kiss. She mentions the piece of paper she has seen him reading. He make her read it out aloud, then when ask for that kiss, he says didn't think so. The letter accuses him of making love to someones mother and stealing his fathers money and promising to hand the letter to him in person one day, as his father killed his mother before killing himself.

Sayad asks Lock about his alibi for when he was hit on the head, only the boar is his witness but gives him one of his knives for protection.

Jack ends up hitting Sawyer twice and asking for shannons medicine, but Sawyer does not budge but just says, is that all you've got. His flashback incorporates a meeting between his lover, her husband and a con regarding an offshore drilling platform.

Then with the lack of the inhalors and a panic attack, Shannons' breathing gets worse. Jack with the aid of Sayad go off to get it from Sawyer, Sayad shows Jack some communication skills on Sawyer that has him saying that he will give the information to Kate, for the price of a kiss. He gets his kiss and says that he does not have it.

Kate gets to understand Sawyer alot better, once she knows more about him, realising things that the othes are unaware. Sun, provides a remedy from some plants which eases Shannon's breathing. Sayad, departs the safety of the group in order to map the island, but also because he nearly broke a promise to himself, that he can not live with and is getting the only person he can trust to map the island, himself.moreless

Perhaps not as good as previous episodes, but It's still Lost!

By j19000, May 16, 2008

This episode began with an introduction of Sawyer and some of his flashbacks going back to around 3 years ago which were very interesting and how he used to con people.

After last weeks episode had concluded with the mysterious attack of Sayid I was put In shock and wanted to find out who did It and why! At first I though It was Locke for some reason or maybe someone sneaky guy who hates Sayid or just doesn't want to get off the island.

Then Sawyer attacked Boone for going through his stuff then he beat him up! At that time Shannon was also suffering from asthma which could be life threatening unless she took her inhalers who the others believe were in Sawyers possession. The whole episode kept me In suspense, trying to find out why Sawyer didn't give the medicine to Shannon. Then Sayid started to torch Sawyer by sticking splinters under his fingernails, OUCH! while Jack was watching. Sawyer told Kate that he didn't have the medicine, never did! I was surprised. But then he tried to escape and Sayid stabbed him In the arm which was painful to see. He was lucky to be alive in the end, but Kate made a discovery about the letter that Sawyer was carrying around. He wrote It to the man he's gonna kill! Who was the real Sawyer who killed his parents, It turns out that his real name was James Ford. I thought the scene where Sun was talking to Michael In private about some special medicine for Shannon and then Jin stepping In, having a go at her about Michael was funny.

The end was nice how Charlie gave Claire imaginary peanut butter so that she would move to the caves with him and how Boone stayed with Shannon until she got better, but Sayid decided to leave because of a promise he broke about not torturing anyone again but still did anyway, that was sad and It looks like next weeks episode reveals more than ever when he appears to get caught in a trap while walking through the jungle on his own!

But overall this was a great and revealing episode which Is why I still gave It 9/10.moreless

Load More Reviews