Confirmed Dead

Episode Reviews (87)

Superb

The freighter folk arrive, and a whole new set of problems come with them

By DavidB226Morris, Feb 28, 2010

We've known since 'D.O.C.' that Oceanic 815 was supposedly recovered from the bottom of the ocean floor a few weeks earlier. In the teaser of 'Confirmed Dead', we actually get stock footage from underwater cameras supposedly confirming that the plane crashed, and that there were no survivors. At the time, our first instinct may have been "Maybe the writers have been lying to us about the island being purgatory". Then with all the furor over Naomi's arrival and the subsequent attempts to contact the freighter, we let that all go. Now we meet some of the people on that freighter, and find that they all believed that this was a lie.

In the flashes, we get impression of the four people who came aboard the helicopter. The first one is Daniel Faraday, the man who parachuted down asking for Jack in the last minute of the previous episode.. Daniel seems more than a little scattered when he arrives on the island--- though he seems open and honest, it appears that he's talking a little too much. Furthermore, when we see him in the teaser, he looks a bit like he's suffering from some kind of breakdown (otherwise why would he cry when he sees the wreckage, and then say he didn't know why?) The other members of the team keep warning him not to speak, and they seem more than a little disdainful of him.

The next one we meet is Miles Straume, who seems more openly disdainful of the idea that the plane has crashed. He actually seems to have a supernatural skill in that he seems able to talk to the dead. When he lands on the ground, he seems certain that he's landing in the midst of hostiles, and he doesn't seem to have any trouble openly lying. He wants to assume command, but even after being taken hostage he doesn't reveal a single thing. There might be a reason to bring him to the island--- after all, there are a lot of dead people.

Charlotte Lewis is the wild card of the bunch. It's hard to know what an anthropologist needs to work here, but she seems to know more about the island than the others. She didn't seem surprised to find the skeleton of a polar bear in the Tunisian desert, or that this bear had a Dharma collar. Of the group, she seemed openly happy when she emerges from the water, and the most surprised when she found that there were survivors. But she must have come prepared, otherwise why would she be using a bulletproof vest in the middle of the jungle.

All three of these characters would be named regulars. Though we won't find it out for a while, they all have a connection with the island. However, the flashbacks that have the most potential involve characters who aren't regulars. Frank Lapidus is the most vocal in his disbelief that the recovered flight is Oceanic 815, and we learn his reason right away ---- he was supposed to be the original pilot. He flew the helicopter that brought everybody to the island, and managed to bring it down without crashing (which, given what we saw in the teaser was a minor miracle). But he also knows instantly that Juliet is a native of the island, and though he talks about making multiple trips back and forth, he manages to avoid saying if he'll take the survivors with him.

The last flashback involves Naomi and is the most mysterious. The man who assembled the team was none other than Matthew Abbadon, the man who threatened Hurley in the last episode (Suddenly his question: "Are they still alive?" makes a lot more sense.) He is equally adamant when Naomi questions him in saying "There were no survivors." Perhaps that is the real mission of the people on the freighter. It doesn't, however, explain why Naomi had such a detailed covered story about being there on behalf of Penelope Widmore, or why she didn't seem interested at all in Ben Linus (we'll get to that in a minute). The mission seems to depend on these four people making on the island. But as we will later learn that wasn't even the real purpose of the freighter. Was there another mission that we don't know about? We won't learn that for a while.

It seems strange that none of these people seem willing to reveal any information about the mission they are on. But then again, how does that make them different from the survivors themselves? When Locke tells his band that the reason he killed Naomi was because Walt told him to, Sawyer then follows with "What, you didn't ask any follow up questions?" It's a funny line, but it belies a bitter truth: has anybody been asking any follow-up questions. No one knows what Kate really did, or that Sawyer was a con artist, or that Locke was paralyzed, or that Hurley is a millionaire. Everybody has been keeping secret, and no one wants to share. Maybe that's the real reason that the Others have seemed to have so many advantages--- they know the survivors secrets better than the passengers themselves.

It's also interesting to compare Jack and Locke's response to the arrival of the freighter folk. Jack seems more than willing to help Daniel find Miles, mainly because despite the fact that he has a gun, he doesn't view him as much of a threat. When Miles says that the only way he'll believe the story about Locke killing Naomi is if they take her to her body, again he just accepts this as something to file away for a later date Just as Miles thinks that he has an advantage, Sayid and Juliet emerge with weapons ready to shoot.

Meanwhile, Locke seems a lot less concerned. Perhaps that's because his faith in the island has been restored. When he stands in the rain, he looks exactly like he did in Season 1 when there were storms and he knew almost instinctively that they were going to break. He doesn't even seem bothered by the fact that Ben nearly killed him. We finally learn how he survived: the bullet was a through and through. Then he says, if he'd had a kidney, he'd be dead. Ergo, he was meant to be conned by his father, because that destiny ended up saving his life.

When the group encounters Charlotte, Hurley seems more than willing to tell her everything, but Locke holds back, trying to hold her prisoner. He then gets completely taken by surprise when Ben breaks loose and tries to kill Charlotte (Hell, he would've succeeded if not for that self same bulletproof vest). It's hard to understand why Locke is so determined to keep Ben around. Sawyer wants to kill him, and only seems to hold off because Hurley indicates not to. (They've come a long way from Sawyer calling him Jumbotron a few weeks ago, but I'm thinking that after what Hurley did on the beach, Sawyer finally seems to be respecting him. Hell, he's even calling him Hugo.) Then Ben tries to curry favor by saying that he has secrets about the island, and then says he knows nothing about 'the monster'. (This I didn't believe for a second; if Juliet knew about it, I'm sure as hell Ben would have some idea what it was. Later episodes will demonstrate he knew a lot more about it than he was willing to tell.) And then he changes the game by giving a complete history of Charlotte to Locke's crew along with a record of all the other people on the chopper, and then the fact that they're here to get him. (Which raises the question again, where is he getting his information. Assuming that he was able to use the computers to gets files on the survivors of Oceanic 815, the electronics have been on the fritz since Desmond blew the hatch. If Ben only knew about the freighter after Mikhail told him {admittedly, that's a big if}, how would he get all of his intelligence, even if he does have a man on the boat? Am I over thinking this because it seems like a pretty obvious hole in the plot?)

If nothing else, this episode does a great job of introducing four radically different characters to us, all of whom are played by fine actors. Even though our hearts and minds automatically belong to the survivors, Jeremy Davies, Rebecca Mader, Ken Leung and Jeff Fahey are all impressive actors, and after knowing them for less than an hour, we seem to have a pretty good handle on all four. Of course, this being Lost, there are obvious a lot of secrets hiding below the surface, and we will start getting evidence that these people may know more about the island then they're telling. However, it's interesting that they don't seem dangerous in the way that the Others did, or sinister in the way Abaddon does in his brief appearance. (My guess is they wanted to use Lance Reddick more than they gave him time for, but he was still busy on The Wire and they didn't use him right). They just seem different, a little at sea, to make an appropriate pun. Even the fact that they're there to get Ben isn't by itself sinister; we know he's a dangerous man. They're as suspicious as we are, which means that the game is about to shift again

My score: 9moreless

Follows the Season Premiere!!!

By Dante_Edy, Jul 14, 2009

Plot Details/Objective - » (8/10). Every season of Lost, new characters are introduced, but this time they decide to come with 4 new characters, and all of them seems that they will stay a little longer. Contrary to Nikki and Paulo, the Producers guaranteed a short sequence of flashbacks, connecting everyone of them to the Island somehow. And Ben have something to say too. The only problem is that our favorites survivors on TV don´t have nothing to do, so the writers complicated the 4 new character life´s and tied them with Jack/Locke tribe looking for them.

What I Like/Disliked -» Michael Emerson acting is pure gold. The new mysterious characters like Miles and Dan, which can uncover some of the mysteries of this Island. The ending was nice too.

Overall:

Presentation -» (9/10). Another good presentation and I think everybody liked to see another point of view.

Complication Phase -» (8/10). Nothing too special, but was good enough to keep you interest.

Climax -» (7/10). Almost didn´t notice where the climax was, but was near the ending.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (8/10). Better than the last weak episode, since things are more interesting now.

Flashbacks Sequences -» (9/10). First time this happens and I think that every one o single Scene introduced very well more intriguing mysteries.

Time and Scenes Management -» (8/10). Another Trek like the last episode, but overall things are Ok.

Dialogues -» (9/10). Some dialogues between some of the characters was very interesting, but Michael Emerson stole the moment.

Action /Adventure -» (7/10). Tracking the others new arrivers on the Island.

Drama/Emotions -» (5/10). Nothing here that could be powerfully emotional.

Suspense/Tension -» (7/10). You don´t Know what the news Arrivers want, so you don´t Know who is dangerous and if Jack/Locke are in danger.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (10/10). The 5 flashbacks sequence introduce new mysteries, hints and doubts.

Surprise/Twists -» (8/10). The beginning of this episode Is about confirmation, but the end have a surprise too.

Thoughts Changer -» None. Nothing that could trick you or change you thoughts/opinion in something.

This episode continues to build the plot in a solid and sometime great ways, that make you interesting in what could happen. I don´t think that this episode is better than the season premiere, but it is almost very similar, only a little behind.moreless

Continues to Be Great!!!!

By Dante_Edy, Jul 14, 2009

Overall:

Action /Adventure -» (7/10). Tracking the others new arrivers on the Island.

Drama/Emotions -» (5/10). Nothing here that could be powerfully emotional.

The writers attempt to shake off their new character curse that was in Paulo and Nikki and introduce the Freighter Folk.

By martync7, May 23, 2009

After the perfect set-up episode, "The Beginning of the End", it was now time to move the plot forward considerably the introduction of four new characters and with it new plot threads and situations on the island. Once again LOST manages to inject itself with fresh ideas and concepts, at theright time, keeping audiences interested in the overall saga unfolding. Despite fans knowing late in Season 3 that a Freighter load of new characters would be arriving to the island in the future, the fact that it has now happened hasn't lessened its impact. Each season has had its own focus, both thematically and characterization. Season 1 was focused on the survivors of the Fuselage camp, introducing the basic themes and mysteries of the island, that continue to expand as the series went on, and also focused on the general relationships between this camp of survivors and their attempts to survive on the island and to escape from it. Season 2 focused on the Tail-End survivors, led by Ana-Lucia, the Swan Station and introducing the DHARMA Initiative, more about the Others and the survivors struggles to live on the island on a long-term, perhaps, permanent basis. Season 3 was the focus on The Others and much of the plot threads dealt with them, their lifestyle, their relationships, their intentions and their history. It gave us much more insight into the DHARMA Initiative and how much of an impact they have had on the locations on the island, three new stations and the introduction of time travel and possible salvation from the island, in the form of Freighter lady, Naomi Dorrit. Season 4 is about the Freighter Folk, and like The Others in Season 3, are likely to be the driving force behind all the main plotpoints. But the season also hints at the future when at least six people escape the island.

The four new characters introduced here are all very unique, the best, perhaps being nervy, scatty Daniel Faraday, whose scientific expertise is likely to tap very strongly into the island's mysteries pretty soon. Being spoilery it is surprising that the other characters haven't revealed as much about the island, as is to be expected. That gripe aside, the new characters are great additions.

"Confirmed Dead" does go straight to the ultimate question: "What the Freighter Folk want?" and they answer it: Ben! the episode does leave more room for questions, but this is a good start and proves that the writers are not going to dillydally too much before revealing things, as they have done. One of the most interesting plot points of the whole episode and was likely the most discussed part on the forums was the DHARMA Polar Bear skeleton found in the sands of Tunisia!!! Not only did fans question how the polar bear, evidently the sole property of the Island and the Hydra Station we saw at the beginning of last season, got there, arousing all sorts of theories from time travel, teleportation and black holes, but Charlotte's reaction to discovering it. Alot of people rightly guessed that she recognised the Hydra DHARMA logo and was ecstatic to see it, almost as if that is what she had been looking for. Tie that together with the following scene where she loosens herself from dangling from a tree on the island, and whilst in the water, we can see her beaming and almost laughing in delight as she examines her surroundings. As we would discover in Season 5 [Spoiler ahead], Charlotte was once a member of The DHARMA Initiative.

Also interesting is the opening scene which shows footage of the wreck of Oceanic Flight 815 in the Sunda Trench. This would naturally back up Naomi's story in Season 3, but the writers quickly poke holes in that theory when Frank Lapidus questions the identity of the Pilot. We all know that this is a fake wreck, as we saw the remains of the plane in the last episode as the backdrop for the split amongst the survivors. Perhaps, if we hadn't seen that we would be less inclined to scoff at the news footage. The flashbacks are just as good as the island footage and this is not usually the case. On first viewing, I wasn't sure about the episode. Maybe it was getting used to the new characters and the new situation. But after a couple of re-watches I love it and I think it is a better episode than the premiere.moreless

The writers continue to try to "sell" us new characters.

By RobGrizz, Jan 11, 2009

I've never been a fan of new characters on this show, and these 4 in particular don't interest me in the slightest. We have a pilot who's a conspiracy theorist. Great. We have a red-head who found the skeleton of a polar bear in a desert. Enough with the polar bears. We have that coward from Saving Private Ryan, being all weird and nervous. And finally we have the ghostbuster. (seriously?) I find that I like Lost best when they keep the sci-fi mumbo jumbo at a distance and focus more on the character-driven stories. And enough with trying to be "clever" with the names of characters. Miles Straume (because it sounds like maelstrom! Isn't that clever?) Charlotte Staples Lewis (C.S. Lewis of the Narnia books). What do these have anything to do with the show?moreless

A Daniel, Miles, Charlotte, Frank and Naomi-centric episode.

By Writer2000, Sep 12, 2008

Let me just start out by saying that I thought that this episode was absolutely amazing. This episode was so exciting. It was definitely just as good as the season four season premiere was. I loved all of the flashbacks of all the new characters. It was great to learn some information about their past in the first episode that they appeared. So far, I have to say that I'm very intrigued by Charlotte. One of the things that I loved the most about this episode was Sawyer and his story line. All things considered, I thought that this episode was just as well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost as the season premiere was, and I can't wait to get caught up on the rest of season four since I only saw the second half of the season as it aired on TV.moreless

The fantastic (freighter) four.

By JBentham, Aug 31, 2008

In my previous review I said that I was glad that the premiere episode didn't start already introducing the new characters. I liked that, there was a nice bridge between season 3 finale and season 4's storyline.

Many people, however, would disagree with me and say that "The Beginning of the End" was slow, and that this episode should've been the premiere.

Sure, I can see why: "Confirmed Dead" is much faster paced, and has much much more "meat" in it. Lots of things to theorize about.

Most importantly, four new characters are introduced - four people from the freighter. Daniel Faraday, Miles Straume, Frank Lapidus and Charlotte Lewis.

Each of them have a flashback, of the time the plane crashed. Now my first issue is... why? What is the point? 2 out of the 4 flashbacks were utter disastrous.

Dan has a flashback of him crying infront of the tv screen. Ok. That's it.

Miles has a flashback of ghostbusting. Sure, that's an interesting piece of information, but could it have been any more corny? The two other flashbacks are better, though.

We learn that Frank was supposed to be the pilot of 815 originally. Now this was a good scene but it suffered from weak writing. There's no way on earth that TV would show the rotten body of a man in a crashed plane.

Charlotte's was the best - as she finds a polar bear skull with a Dharma collar in the middle of the desert.

My problem is that the flashbacks didn't serve their purpose. Not only there was no character development, but in Dan's case, we really didn't learn a thing about him. What he does, what's his life like, et cetera.

The last flashback featured Naomi and Matthew Abbaddon from the previous episode, who, really isn't a lawyer. He was the one to brief Naomi about the mission. Loved that scene, very dark and interesting.

The on island story was quite decent. Lots of interesting twists and turns, though it wasn't quite perfect.

For starters, Locke's group acting like the others when spotting Charlotte = win. Kate flirting with Dan to confuse him... epic win. Actually, I really enjoyed Dan's character. He seems to be that crazed sctientist type, which was definitely missing from the show.

Ben continues with the funnies but at the end of the episode he delivers the scene of the hour.

He reveals that he knows everything about Dan, Miles, Frank and Charlotte. Why?

"Because I have a man on their boat."

Ben, oh Ben... you bastard. You just seem to have a plan for everything!

Loved the reveal that the freighties came for Ben - to capture him. This raises lots of theories, but most importantly, once again confirms that Ben is very... important. In fact, he might just be more important and significant than what we may think at this point.

There were some other nice moments too. Locke trying to find Jacob's cabin but fails - basically, confirmation of that it really did move.

However, the writing wasn't really up to the standards of Lost. I like the new characters, but their intro was a mixed bag with the mostly pointless flashbacks. Also, some of the dialouges were extremely off. Why would Locke call the black smoke "monster"? In the previous season he said that the beach folks are calling it the monster, and that he doesn't believe it monsters.

Now, I guess it's time to rate the episode. I give it a 9.2, which is a high score and you would probably question why, after criticizing the episode so much. Well, the reason is simple. There were many, many moments that can only be found in the best episodes of the show. The beginning with ROV's finding the plane, the jump scene, Dan's and Miles' interaction with the survivors, Charlotte's huge Dharma reveal, Abbaddon's appearance in the flashback, Ben shooting Charlotte, Ben's spy... These moments were so exciting that they really made me forget inconsistency. So, exciting episode overall.moreless

It was good but I've seen better

By j19000, May 19, 2008

Never mind the summary above. Yeah, I just didn't really get into this one because of who it was about and basically how weird the show is becoming. I'm just guessing it's this particular episode, I have a good friend who thinks the same about the show tonight. The whole story of the Freighter business was great but the flashbacks were strange. Miles has like this amazing power. Back on the island, Naomi's people arrive and problems between them and Jack's people are here. I won't go on too far. Really, the action was there, but there was something odd about this episode. It was different from what I know the show to be. I can't really explain further. The upsides, good action, high suspense and the downsides were the following. A strange episode, different from what I expected it to be and yeah, this episode was an example that the show is becoming something else. Some people complain that this season has been hard to follow, particularly grown-ups. I disagree, it's always been easy for me. I just can't take in odd episodes.moreless

Four new characters are introduced !

By Kadodian, May 01, 2008

The rescue team has arrived but are they really here to rescue or fight ? Locke and the others on his side are still travelling toward the others's cabins and Jack and Kate are now meeting with Dan, one of the rescuers. Here is a review of the four new characters added to Lost season 4 : 1) Dan !! : American. we didn't see much from his flashback. Dosen't have a very strong personality from what I see. 2) Miles !! : Asian. Apparently he can talk with the dead. He was found lying on the floor on a beach but when Jack comes to the resuce Miles gets up and points a gun at Jack demanding that he takes him to Naomi. When hes near Naomi's body he talks with Naomi's spirit and finds the truth which is that Naomi wasn't killed by Kate. 3) Charlotte !! : British. From her flashbacks we see that she's a palaeontologist and she also found a polar bear in the desert which was very weird but then again what isn't weird in Lost. She was found in the water by Locke and Claire and all the others. She fell from the tree. Locke takes her with them and then she gets shot by Ben but she was wearing a bulllet proof vest so she didn't die.

4) Frank !! American. Pilot. He was supposed to be the one flying oceanic flight 815 and hes the one who flew the crew to the island. The helicopter is safe. From what I see looks it like Naomi was their leader and she was working with the man who visited Hurley in the medical center in his flashforwards.

At the end of the episode it is clear that the crew are here for Ben and Ben has a man on their boat.

Great episode !! Nice introduction. Favorite out of the new characters : Miles !! He's tough and funny. Good stuff !!moreless

Load More Reviews