Confirmed Dead

Episode Reviews (87)

Superb

Follows the Season Premiere!!!

By Dante_Edy, Jul 14, 2009

Plot Details/Objective - » (8/10). Every season of Lost, new characters are introduced, but this time they decide to come with 4 new characters, and all of them seems that they will stay a little longer. Contrary to Nikki and Paulo, the Producers guaranteed a short sequence of flashbacks, connecting everyone of them to the Island somehow. And Ben have something to say too. The only problem is that our favorites survivors on TV don´t have nothing to do, so the writers complicated the 4 new character life´s and tied them with Jack/Locke tribe looking for them.

What I Like/Disliked -» Michael Emerson acting is pure gold. The new mysterious characters like Miles and Dan, which can uncover some of the mysteries of this Island. The ending was nice too.

Overall:

Presentation -» (9/10). Another good presentation and I think everybody liked to see another point of view.

Complication Phase -» (8/10). Nothing too special, but was good enough to keep you interest.

Climax -» (7/10). Almost didn´t notice where the climax was, but was near the ending.

Cliffhanger/Ending -» (8/10). Better than the last weak episode, since things are more interesting now.

Flashbacks Sequences -» (9/10). First time this happens and I think that every one o single Scene introduced very well more intriguing mysteries.

Time and Scenes Management -» (8/10). Another Trek like the last episode, but overall things are Ok.

Dialogues -» (9/10). Some dialogues between some of the characters was very interesting, but Michael Emerson stole the moment.

Drama/Emotions -» (5/10). Nothing here that could be powerfully emotional.

Suspense/Tension -» (7/10). You don´t Know what the news Arrivers want, so you don´t Know who is dangerous and if Jack/Locke are in danger.

Mystery/Curiosity/Doubts/Hints -» (10/10). The 5 flashbacks sequence introduce new mysteries, hints and doubts.

Surprise/Twists -» (8/10). The beginning of this episode Is about confirmation, but the end have a surprise too.

Thoughts Changer -» None. Nothing that could trick you or change you thoughts/opinion in something.

This episode continues to build the plot in a solid and sometime great ways, that make you interesting in what could happen. I don´t think that this episode is better than the season premiere, but it is almost very similar, only a little behind.moreless

Continues to Be Great!!!!

Drama/Emotions -» (5/10). Nothing here that could be powerfully emotional.

Continues to Be Great!!!!

Drama/Emotions -» (5/10). Nothing here that could be powerfully emotional.

The writers attempt to shake off their new character curse that was in Paulo and Nikki and introduce the Freighter Folk.

By martync7, May 23, 2009

After the perfect set-up episode, "The Beginning of the End", it was now time to move the plot forward considerably the introduction of four new characters and with it new plot threads and situations on the island. Once again LOST manages to inject itself with fresh ideas and concepts, at theright time, keeping audiences interested in the overall saga unfolding. Despite fans knowing late in Season 3 that a Freighter load of new characters would be arriving to the island in the future, the fact that it has now happened hasn't lessened its impact. Each season has had its own focus, both thematically and characterization. Season 1 was focused on the survivors of the Fuselage camp, introducing the basic themes and mysteries of the island, that continue to expand as the series went on, and also focused on the general relationships between this camp of survivors and their attempts to survive on the island and to escape from it. Season 2 focused on the Tail-End survivors, led by Ana-Lucia, the Swan Station and introducing the DHARMA Initiative, more about the Others and the survivors struggles to live on the island on a long-term, perhaps, permanent basis. Season 3 was the focus on The Others and much of the plot threads dealt with them, their lifestyle, their relationships, their intentions and their history. It gave us much more insight into the DHARMA Initiative and how much of an impact they have had on the locations on the island, three new stations and the introduction of time travel and possible salvation from the island, in the form of Freighter lady, Naomi Dorrit. Season 4 is about the Freighter Folk, and like The Others in Season 3, are likely to be the driving force behind all the main plotpoints. But the season also hints at the future when at least six people escape the island.

The four new characters introduced here are all very unique, the best, perhaps being nervy, scatty Daniel Faraday, whose scientific expertise is likely to tap very strongly into the island's mysteries pretty soon. Being spoilery it is surprising that the other characters haven't revealed as much about the island, as is to be expected. That gripe aside, the new characters are great additions.

"Confirmed Dead" does go straight to the ultimate question: "What the Freighter Folk want?" and they answer it: Ben! the episode does leave more room for questions, but this is a good start and proves that the writers are not going to dillydally too much before revealing things, as they have done. One of the most interesting plot points of the whole episode and was likely the most discussed part on the forums was the DHARMA Polar Bear skeleton found in the sands of Tunisia!!! Not only did fans question how the polar bear, evidently the sole property of the Island and the Hydra Station we saw at the beginning of last season, got there, arousing all sorts of theories from time travel, teleportation and black holes, but Charlotte's reaction to discovering it. Alot of people rightly guessed that she recognised the Hydra DHARMA logo and was ecstatic to see it, almost as if that is what she had been looking for. Tie that together with the following scene where she loosens herself from dangling from a tree on the island, and whilst in the water, we can see her beaming and almost laughing in delight as she examines her surroundings. As we would discover in Season 5 [Spoiler ahead], Charlotte was once a member of The DHARMA Initiative.

Also interesting is the opening scene which shows footage of the wreck of Oceanic Flight 815 in the Sunda Trench. This would naturally back up Naomi's story in Season 3, but the writers quickly poke holes in that theory when Frank Lapidus questions the identity of the Pilot. We all know that this is a fake wreck, as we saw the remains of the plane in the last episode as the backdrop for the split amongst the survivors. Perhaps, if we hadn't seen that we would be less inclined to scoff at the news footage. The flashbacks are just as good as the island footage and this is not usually the case. On first viewing, I wasn't sure about the episode. Maybe it was getting used to the new characters and the new situation. But after a couple of re-watches I love it and I think it is a better episode than the premiere.moreless

The writers continue to try to "sell" us new characters.

By RobGrizz, Jan 11, 2009

I've never been a fan of new characters on this show, and these 4 in particular don't interest me in the slightest. We have a pilot who's a conspiracy theorist. Great. We have a red-head who found the skeleton of a polar bear in a desert. Enough with the polar bears. We have that coward from Saving Private Ryan, being all weird and nervous. And finally we have the ghostbuster. (seriously?) I find that I like Lost best when they keep the sci-fi mumbo jumbo at a distance and focus more on the character-driven stories. And enough with trying to be "clever" with the names of characters. Miles Straume (because it sounds like maelstrom! Isn't that clever?) Charlotte Staples Lewis (C.S. Lewis of the Narnia books). What do these have anything to do with the show?moreless

A Daniel, Miles, Charlotte, Frank and Naomi-centric episode.

By Writer2000, Sep 12, 2008

Let me just start out by saying that I thought that this episode was absolutely amazing. This episode was so exciting. It was definitely just as good as the season four season premiere was. I loved all of the flashbacks of all the new characters. It was great to learn some information about their past in the first episode that they appeared. So far, I have to say that I'm very intrigued by Charlotte. One of the things that I loved the most about this episode was Sawyer and his story line. All things considered, I thought that this episode was just as well written, well acted and well made episode of Lost as the season premiere was, and I can't wait to get caught up on the rest of season four since I only saw the second half of the season as it aired on TV.moreless

The fantastic (freighter) four.

By JBentham, Aug 31, 2008

In my previous review I said that I was glad that the premiere episode didn't start already introducing the new characters. I liked that, there was a nice bridge between season 3 finale and season 4's storyline.

Many people, however, would disagree with me and say that "The Beginning of the End" was slow, and that this episode should've been the premiere.

Sure, I can see why: "Confirmed Dead" is much faster paced, and has much much more "meat" in it. Lots of things to theorize about.

Most importantly, four new characters are introduced - four people from the freighter. Daniel Faraday, Miles Straume, Frank Lapidus and Charlotte Lewis.

Each of them have a flashback, of the time the plane crashed. Now my first issue is... why? What is the point? 2 out of the 4 flashbacks were utter disastrous.

Dan has a flashback of him crying infront of the tv screen. Ok. That's it.

Miles has a flashback of ghostbusting. Sure, that's an interesting piece of information, but could it have been any more corny? The two other flashbacks are better, though.

We learn that Frank was supposed to be the pilot of 815 originally. Now this was a good scene but it suffered from weak writing. There's no way on earth that TV would show the rotten body of a man in a crashed plane.

Charlotte's was the best - as she finds a polar bear skull with a Dharma collar in the middle of the desert.

My problem is that the flashbacks didn't serve their purpose. Not only there was no character development, but in Dan's case, we really didn't learn a thing about him. What he does, what's his life like, et cetera.

The last flashback featured Naomi and Matthew Abbaddon from the previous episode, who, really isn't a lawyer. He was the one to brief Naomi about the mission. Loved that scene, very dark and interesting.

The on island story was quite decent. Lots of interesting twists and turns, though it wasn't quite perfect.

For starters, Locke's group acting like the others when spotting Charlotte = win. Kate flirting with Dan to confuse him... epic win. Actually, I really enjoyed Dan's character. He seems to be that crazed sctientist type, which was definitely missing from the show.

Ben continues with the funnies but at the end of the episode he delivers the scene of the hour.

He reveals that he knows everything about Dan, Miles, Frank and Charlotte. Why?

"Because I have a man on their boat."

Ben, oh Ben... you bastard. You just seem to have a plan for everything!

Loved the reveal that the freighties came for Ben - to capture him. This raises lots of theories, but most importantly, once again confirms that Ben is very... important. In fact, he might just be more important and significant than what we may think at this point.

There were some other nice moments too. Locke trying to find Jacob's cabin but fails - basically, confirmation of that it really did move.

However, the writing wasn't really up to the standards of Lost. I like the new characters, but their intro was a mixed bag with the mostly pointless flashbacks. Also, some of the dialouges were extremely off. Why would Locke call the black smoke "monster"? In the previous season he said that the beach folks are calling it the monster, and that he doesn't believe it monsters.

Now, I guess it's time to rate the episode. I give it a 9.2, which is a high score and you would probably question why, after criticizing the episode so much. Well, the reason is simple. There were many, many moments that can only be found in the best episodes of the show. The beginning with ROV's finding the plane, the jump scene, Dan's and Miles' interaction with the survivors, Charlotte's huge Dharma reveal, Abbaddon's appearance in the flashback, Ben shooting Charlotte, Ben's spy... These moments were so exciting that they really made me forget inconsistency. So, exciting episode overall.moreless

It was good but I've seen better

By j19000, May 19, 2008

Never mind the summary above. Yeah, I just didn't really get into this one because of who it was about and basically how weird the show is becoming. I'm just guessing it's this particular episode, I have a good friend who thinks the same about the show tonight. The whole story of the Freighter business was great but the flashbacks were strange. Miles has like this amazing power. Back on the island, Naomi's people arrive and problems between them and Jack's people are here. I won't go on too far. Really, the action was there, but there was something odd about this episode. It was different from what I know the show to be. I can't really explain further. The upsides, good action, high suspense and the downsides were the following. A strange episode, different from what I expected it to be and yeah, this episode was an example that the show is becoming something else. Some people complain that this season has been hard to follow, particularly grown-ups. I disagree, it's always been easy for me. I just can't take in odd episodes.moreless

Four new characters are introduced !

By Kadodian, May 01, 2008

The rescue team has arrived but are they really here to rescue or fight ? Locke and the others on his side are still travelling toward the others's cabins and Jack and Kate are now meeting with Dan, one of the rescuers. Here is a review of the four new characters added to Lost season 4 : 1) Dan !! : American. we didn't see much from his flashback. Dosen't have a very strong personality from what I see. 2) Miles !! : Asian. Apparently he can talk with the dead. He was found lying on the floor on a beach but when Jack comes to the resuce Miles gets up and points a gun at Jack demanding that he takes him to Naomi. When hes near Naomi's body he talks with Naomi's spirit and finds the truth which is that Naomi wasn't killed by Kate. 3) Charlotte !! : British. From her flashbacks we see that she's a palaeontologist and she also found a polar bear in the desert which was very weird but then again what isn't weird in Lost. She was found in the water by Locke and Claire and all the others. She fell from the tree. Locke takes her with them and then she gets shot by Ben but she was wearing a bulllet proof vest so she didn't die.

4) Frank !! American. Pilot. He was supposed to be the one flying oceanic flight 815 and hes the one who flew the crew to the island. The helicopter is safe. From what I see looks it like Naomi was their leader and she was working with the man who visited Hurley in the medical center in his flashforwards.

At the end of the episode it is clear that the crew are here for Ben and Ben has a man on their boat.

Great episode !! Nice introduction. Favorite out of the new characters : Miles !! He's tough and funny. Good stuff !!moreless

Load More Reviews