Dave

Episode Reviews (139)

Great

Talk about a giant step back

By DavidB226Morris, Jun 28, 2011

At least once a season, there comes a point where the writers of Lost seem to go on their own vacation and try and fill time until the countdown till the final season begins. 'Dave' would seem to be one of those episodes, but there are a couple of points that may prove valid to the series as a whole, as well as a couple of loose ends that the writers of the series are never going to wrap up.

The episode is centered around at what was one of the early theories of what the island is--- that it was a hallucination of one of the characters. We know now that Hurley spent some time in a metal institution, and he is probably the most popular guy on the island. Are the [people an extension of his personality? Or is there another reason that he hasn't lost any weight on this island? We've known that he has been holding on to a stash of food, and when he finally confesses his sin to Libby (we'll get to her in a minute), her reaction is not one of someone who's been eating mangoes and fish for two months. Rather she encourages him to destroy it, This leads to the appearance of someone who makes Hurley very nervous.

The person he sees is Dave, obviously, and he was one of the people who he knew from Santa ROsa. We learn that he was nearly catatonic after an incident where he stepped on an overcrowded, causing it to collapse and two people to die. He has blamed himself and that is why he hasn't changed. Dave was a manifestation of his personality--- the part that didn't want him to get better. When he realized this, he managed a breakthrough, and things got better--- for a while.

Now Dave is back, and his telling him this same hallucination theory. He adds the fact that the numbers are still recurring everywhere, we've been seeing them around a lot, including with the Dharma Initiative, and now he convinces Hurley that this is cycle that he has to break. Hurley then tries to find a way to break this theory.

Here's a more pertinent question, because it's never been asked, if Dave is hallucination, why is Hurley seeing him now after all this time? Does he think that his eating is putting people at risk somehow? More interestingly, what if Dave is one of the first indication that the island is 'talking' to him? In later seasons, Hurley will show evidence of being able to tap into a vital force of the island (I won't go into details) and even when he is off the island, he will continue to see people who can't reasonably be there. Is it possible that Hurley, like Locke and Eko has some kind of communion with the island, and that it is trying to test him? Perhaps the island feels that Locke is not quite passing the trials, given his attitude of the past few weeks, and maybe it senses Hurley--- the only person who is certain they're on the island In the end, Libby convinces Hurley that this is a real by saying that she knows something that he doesn't. However, we then get the final twist--- that Libby was also at Santa Rosa. At the time I thought that this meant that this was some kind of hallucination, and Libby was another part of it. Then, of course, there's the point everyone made--- if Libby was really there, how come Hurley, who clearly remembered a lot of other patients, didn't remember? Was Libby some kind of doctor. We find out later that she has connections to a couple of other people on the island--- is it possible that she's an Other? There are definitely possibilities, but the writers never tried to explain or explore them.

Far more interesting things are happening back in the hatch, with the re-interrogations of the Other formerly known as Henry. What's never been quite clear is how not-Henry got caught in Rousseau's. Everything this man has done is by design, so why did he come to this side of the island for? Why are the Others, who up until now have made covert attempts to move through the Others, and who threatened the Losties with violence should they try and find them deliberately infiltrate them? Not-Henry says he was following orders (even now there's a possibility that he's telling the truth), but why come like this? And, despite what we says, he knows very well what happens if you don't input the numbers into the computer, so why is he lying? If he is trying to protect the island, why would he do something that he knows very well could lead to massive casualties? We're still waiting for answers on that one

Though 'Dave' does have some interesting moments and raises some interesting questions, for the most part, it feels a lot like 'Fire + Water,. We're running in circles, and even though interesting thigns are happening --- what was up with the food drop? what were Charlie and Eko building?--- we don't seem to be getting answers. Even if it does explode one of the major theories, they could've done that and done more in the hatch. So why keep us here anyway? It was nice to see Sawyer take a beating from the man he has antagonized the most--- but then, maybe that wasn't real either.

My score:6moreless

Great episode.

By Skoad, Jun 06, 2011

This was a great episode. Was very Hurley based, but I liked that. It let us in on a bit more of Hurleys past. Many things that happened throughout this show I had expected, and im sure many others did aswell. However, the ending through me off, and im sure did the same to everyone else. The ending left me Lost I guess I could say. Another great thing about the show, they always leave you wondering.

Awesome.

By Sarah_LOST, Oct 12, 2010

Hurley chases after his old imaginary friend in the jungle, and his relationship with Libby develops. Locke questions his commitment to the hatch, after Henry claims to have never entered the numbers. Hurley remembers his time at a mental institution. It is revealed via flashback that Libby attended the mental institution, as well. I love the way everyone is with the new food - love it. Hurley keeps seeing Dave his imaginary friend, kind of scary. I love the hatch scenes, I love the way Jack is looking after Locke. I love the way everyone is towards Henry awesome storyline. I love Eko and Charlie scenes. I love the way Sawyer has oreos! I love the Hurley and Sawyer fighting scene - extremely funny it has me in tears. I love the Locke and Henry scene and I love the ending!moreless

Private Idaho

By napen, Sep 24, 2008

Quizás esto que estoy escribiendo sea leído por nadie simplemente porque hay nadie del otro lado. Quizás mi mente esté creando este momento como creó todos los momentos y mis dedos que no existen apretando teclas que no existen mientras miro que las palabras que escribo (que tampoco existen obviamente) en la pantalla imaginaria estén bien escritas en un idioma que yo (mi mente) inventó quién sabe cuando y cómo. Y este restaurante en el que trabajo se llame Barrancas porque se supone que nací en Barracas y entonces acá moriré. Quizás nada sea más real que un avión cayendo en espiral sobre una ciudad inexistente.moreless

Another character on the island is seeing things. That element of the storytelling may be getting a bit monotonous but this episode is still fasinating because of it.

By martync7, Aug 05, 2008

To say I liked this episode better than Lockdown would be an insult to Locke, but I despite my much lower rating I enjoyed it as much. There was mystery, reveals and wonderful character exploration. Perhaps the standout of this episode is not the story but the acting quality of Jorge Garcia, as Hurley. Hereally nails his character in this episode and we do really feel sorry for him in those flashbacks. That scene where he talks to the shrink is probably Jorge's finest acting moment so far of the series. I totally believed he was a mentally troubled man and suddenly my image of what someone living in a Psychiatric hospital became clear to me. And it is not that you are completely off your trolley, drooling at the mouth, screaming incomprehensively. Hurley understands what is happening to him but yet it powerless to do anything about it. In fact there may not be anything wrong with him, he just thinks there is and that is what makes him such a great example of someone with mental problems.

"Dave" is a fasinating character and his words of wisdom (or so they seemed) to Hurley play to our own suspicions and theories as to what is going on, for example the idea that everything that has happened is just in someone's head.

By the episode's end we are thown another HUGE plot twist with the reveal that Libby was also a patient at Hurley's hospital.

Usually Hurley's episodes are generally light-hearted, filled with humour. While this episode has those familiar moments (particularly the hilarious brawl scene with Sawyer) this episode brings out the more serious and emotional side of his character. Hurley is not so much the lovable, cuddly, easy going, fun seeking individual we once knew him as. In this episode he is tearful, angry, bitter and impulsive.

This behavior may make his character much more interesting in the future.

Dave thought it odd that Libby is with Hurley. I find that odd too, not because I think that no one would find Hurley attractive, because I think they would, if only for his inner appearance, but because they look such an odd couple.

That said I can't think of anyone else she could be best with. There is no one else!! And that's not being unfair to Hurley! You rock!

As I'm writing this review I can't actually remember what else happens outside the Hurley scenes. I know that life in The Swan goes a little quiet after the last episode, as was expected.

This was a cool episode, one which had good momentum, a wonderful acting job by Jorje Garcia and more for viewers to ponder over.moreless

An old friend of Hurley's comes back into his life from his instituition days, Libby lends a helping hand with Hurley to get him back on the straight and narrow. Locke's faith and sense of purpose regading the bunker is put into question.

By captainbritain, Jun 23, 2008

Locke is recovering his leg, but still wants to know whats happening all the time, Henry admits to Sayid that he is one of them, but he won't divulge anything because he is more scared of them than anything. The others try to talk to Henry but the result is the same, but it is very obvious that Henry is a very good manipulator of peoples mind's.

Libby and Hurley get more involved as she tries to tone and firm him up with some excerise, he admits to her that he needs to drop a few pounds, but also that he is sick, that he has a food problem. He takes her to his stash and after talking, he destroys his stash of food, therefore taking away the opportunity.

As they are destroying the last item, people rush through their area and say that something is happening, they follow them and discover that a pallet of food has been airdropped to their location. Just as he was getting to overcome his problem then a new one comes along, then as people are fighting over it, someone suggest that Hurley do it, he's trusted and he's done it before.

Hurley takes off into the jungle and starts to see his friend Dave again, then in a flashback moment we learn that Dave was also a patient in the mental hospital where they were patience together. How he was always leading Hurley down the wrong road of choices all the time.

Henry admits to Locke that nothing happened whatsoever regarding the countdown, he did not do anything, it got to zero then some red symbols then it went back to 108 mins.

Mr Eko and Charlie are spending alot of time together, building something, they are busy cut down wood and making a clearing.

Dave and Hurley are having a catch up time, from the moment he left the group on the beach to go back to the caves, Dave is then permanently attached

by Hurleys side, all the way upto the top of the cliffs, where he tries to convince Hurley that he is still in the hospital in a comatosed state from the accident, that the island is all in his mind, that by falling into the ocean the wake up process will start. He is about to, but then is rescued by Libby in an emotionally charged scene that must have had tears streaming down cheeks somewhere, the twist with Libby and Hurley being in the same hospital flashback was unexpected.moreless

Awesome

By efc91, May 31, 2008

Hurley chases after his old imaginary friend in the jungle, and his relationship with Libby develops. "Henry Gale" tells Locke that he did not enter the numbers, and Locke questions his commitment to the hatch. Hurley remembers his time at a mental institution, and surprisingly, so does Libby. Dave was full of information and honestly had me really confused and normally I don't really get confused by this show the whole its in your mind thing was crazy but I knew it was bull crap because this episode would have happened near the end of the series.

Overal a Brilliant and informative episode with plenty going on.moreless

Nice episode... And it was revealing

By j19000, May 27, 2008

This 18th episode of Season 2 focussed on Hugo and his obsession to food. It was a great plotted story and I loved it. Henry Gale is one of them and it just comes to show, "Who can you trust?" That's right, probably no one. We're learning more about the others slowly, and I am glad that Ana-Lucia stopped Sayid from pulling the trigger directly at Henry. Hurley meeting his imaginary friend Dave on this island, wow... The whole flashback business of Hugo's life was sad, but so damn cool. Dave was excellent in the mental hospital. The part where Hugo realized the truth, a sad one... Dave doesn't exist. So Hugo is even more in mental shape. The Hugo beating up the smart-a** Sawyer scene was a crack up. Then of course, Kate the big mouth steps in to make fun of Sawyer. Annoying person she can be sometimes lol.

Libby was a great character throughout this episode, lending Hurley support, helping him get rid of the food. But no one was expecting for her to be in the same mental hospital as Hugo...! Crap, they all seem connected in some way.

But my favourite parts were learning about Henry Gale's real identity and what his intentions were. But yeah, "DAVE is the man!".

Overall, it was a great episode, more of a revealing week. Next week's looks better though, as looking in the promo.moreless

A nice episode... More of a revealing week

By j19000, May 27, 2008

Overall, it was a great episode, more of a revealing week. Next week's looks better though, as looking in the promo...moreless

Load More Reviews